PDA

View Full Version : Ear Bands

Mermaid Jaffa
07-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Hi!

Ear bands, anyone used them before? I'm thinking of getting these as I don't like stuffing things into my ears.

http://www.littlegrommets.com/swimming-earbands/teen-adult-earband.html

AniaR
07-15-2014, 10:12 AM
I've never seen these before, but as someone very particular about getting water in her ears (I get MASSIVE infections) this looks to me more like it would keep your ears warm. It's still a fabric and relies on a tight seal so I don't think it'll keep water out. Maybe just for swimming on surface or boating or something and not getting splashed.

Mermaid Galene
07-15-2014, 10:17 AM
If a tight silicone swim cap doesn't keep water out of your ears (mine doesn't), I doubt that a minimally stretchy neoprene band will do it.

Echidna
07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
^^this.
besides, you would not want to have a watertight band/cap, or hood, because you could suffer a barotrauma.

you still need to be able to equalize. that's why divers drill small holes over the ears in too-tight wetsuit hoods.

Mermaid Jaffa
07-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Keep ears warm? Hm. I like the sound of that!

I don't think its that watertight. I read somewhere it just helps to keep hair out of your face, keep ear plugs from falling out and ears warm!

Echidna
07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
well, try it out :)

there are many possibiities to make that band mermaidy too, add pearls and sequins and shells...
might even replace a conventional headdress!

Mermaid Jaffa
07-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Caltuna, I was thinking of that too! If one could make it practical for warm ears and a fancy head dress at the same time!