PDA

View Full Version : New tailmaker on etsy

Seraphina Suds
07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I browse etsy a lot and came across this listing last night. I don't believe I've seen her around the forum or anywhere else for that matter. Has anyone heard of her?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192753263/silicone-neoprene-mermaid-tails

AniaR
07-15-2014, 04:58 PM
hmm looks like silicone caulking especially if it's only for 700. but it doesnt look bad!

Mermaid Fenicia
07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
From that page:
Overview

Handmade item
Materials: latex, neoprene, monofin
Made to order
Only ships to United States from Florida, United States.

Yulia
07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
The thing that bothers me is that the name of the product is "Silicone Neoprene Mermaid Tail"
BUT
the materials listed are:

Materials: latex, neoprene, monofin

They do look good, except the very obvious monofin.

AniaR
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
yeah either way Im concerned it's caulking

Merman Arion
07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
There is something fishy there. I'm just assuming though.

There is only ONE picture for each item and no review from customers at all. Maybe it's a new account but I'm not really convinced.
Honestly, I wouldn't buy from them.

Raayvhen
07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Not planning on buying but I did ask about the conflicting materials.

Yulia
07-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Well her shop opened on May 6 this year, så pretty new.
She sells kind of unusual and quite expensive things, so it isn't that odd that she doesn't have any reviews yet.

Yulia
07-15-2014, 06:08 PM
I think I found the problem...
"The colors on the tail are latex pigments. That means no chipping away like paint. The color goes all the way through."
That's probably why it states "Latex" in the materials.

Aquarianne
07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
There is something fishy there. I'm just assuming though.

There is only ONE picture for each item and no review from customers at all. Maybe it's a new account but I'm not really convinced.
Honestly, I wouldn't buy from them.

I'm not surprised, the other items are expensive...looks like she caters to character companies like mine. She has that "party princess turned costumer for other party princesses" look about her. I don't think it's a bad tail...I'm more concerned that her dresses are overpriced. No boning at ALL in the bodices? And they're so baggy in the chest, not fitted correctly. Not worth 600 bucks in my opinion. I've sold far better for less.

But as for the tail, it's not bad, albeit the coloring is very bland, and it fits pretty baggy in the back on her. Maybe it was made for a friend? Or maybe she's not used to making tighter tails yet. Overall I wouldn't buy, not right now, until she gets more customer-commissioned tails under her belt and demonstrates that she can fit them better. Judging from her dressmaking, she seems very competent in techniques, but has a lot to learn in tailoring to measurements. But she's just starting out, so she's bound to get better quickly, as long as she applies herself. First-time stuff is never perfect.

But for a start-up Etsy, don't be surprised she has no sales yet, especially if she doesn't advertise. That's no indication of quality by itself! It took a long time for me to make my first Etsy sales.

Yulia
07-15-2014, 06:33 PM
We should invite her to the forum! :>

Aquarianne
07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Awwww, that's a great idea! I've learned more about tailmaking (at a much faster pace) on here than I ever would just reading some randomn articles or watching videos. She has a lot of skill for a first-timer, way better than I bet my first tail will be. I bet she'd really go far on here :3

Yulia
07-15-2014, 07:05 PM
She would be able to reach out to more potential custoMers too!

Aquarianne
07-15-2014, 07:17 PM
hahah, custoMers. XD Reminds me of the time I was on a road trip and had to use the bathroom, and I ran into this little gas station and there was a sign on the door, misspelled, that said, "Bathroom is for costumers only."

And I was like, "Well THANK GOD for that!"

AniaR
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
that makes no sense. silicone will inhibit the curing of the latex pigments over top. And I dont understand how a pigment can be latex. Maybe the pigments were intended for use on latex but she used them on silicone? When you google latex pigments you dont come up with a pigment that you mix it's just coloured latex, and that most certainly would NOT cure on top of silicone. So if she actually is doing that her tails WILL be crap. When I was young and stupid I used silicone on my alex plus tail (latex) to try and fix a spot and it did not cure at all it was awful.

Mermaid Wesley
07-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Huh.....
Maybe it's a typo...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raayvhen
07-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Now I'm even more confused.

Clair Davis from ClairWear sent you a conversation on July 17, 2014.

Silicone Neoprene Mermaid Tails, listing #192753263

I'm very sorry...I keep trying to change this listing but I may need to take it down and start over.
I do not make Alex plus tails! That was my first attempt when I started this and it was a huge mess. That technique is useless and not meant for under water use. So I don't recommend it due to the problems I had.
That is why I switched to a thicker style Silicone because that is water proof and works well. My style doesn't last forever like the heavy duty expensive silicone tails....but it is a step before that if you can't quite afford it.
If you have any other questions please let me know :)

Clair

Yulia
07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
That totally sounds like Silicone Caulking. >:

PearlieMae
07-17-2014, 12:23 PM
That totally sounds like Silicone Caulking. >:
Agreed.

Yulia
07-17-2014, 12:31 PM
It's nice though that she can admit her creations weaknesses.

PearlieMae
07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I asked as well, offered a couple of corrections to her copy, and asked if she was on mernetwork. Maybe she'll join!

Clair Davis replied: Thank you for the corrections.
And yes it is silicone caulking. My sites are still under construction and I'm still making corrections.

Clair

Merman Orion
07-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Is this silicone caulking stuff bad for you like Alex? Cause I know that stuff is terrible for you. Is this a different kind of material? Are they related? Is there a thread someone could link me to on this stuff? I'm kinda clueless. Sorry >.<

Mermaid Jaffa
07-18-2014, 05:53 AM
I read somewhere its the stuff that's used to fix bathroom floors, and is not safe for humans.

Mermaid Wesley
07-18-2014, 01:40 PM
It isn't safe for prolonged skin contact. You can probably have a caulk tail and be fine but it will also be less durable.

AniaR
07-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Is this silicone caulking stuff bad for you like Alex? Cause I know that stuff is terrible for you

It depends on the type. Most are only dangerous when they're uncured but smoothon actually does make a skin safe caulking. I think if you had a waterproof silicone caulking on neoprene you'd be okay but Im not sure it would bond to the neoprene.

Raayvhen
07-18-2014, 03:04 PM
It does bond to really thick spandex. Haven't experimented with neoprene yet.