PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Started!

misshollydawn
07-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Hey Mergals and Merguys.
I'm just starting to dip my fin into this line of 'work.'
A small bio : I'm a professional dancer, model, actor, singer. I love what I do, but sometimes, a girl is just sick of standing, you know? I've been trying to find my way into mermaid modeling, but since I moved to Vegas, things aren't turning out as well as they had back in LA. I wonder why... maybe because mermaids can't thrive in a desert, I don't know...
Back in LA, I did some underwater photography, and even swam in a friend's tail for fun just to get the feel of it. But now I'm out here, it looks like I have to start from the beginning.

Any pointers? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Anything would be helpful.

My main objective : I want to do fun gigs or shows. IE kid's parties, night club atmosphere, so on...
I have a friend who does this work, but when I asked her about it, she basically said to figure it out on my own. "friend" :thumbdown:

Echidna
07-17-2014, 08:05 AM
hello there!

mermaid modelling/photography can be a bit slow, especially when you aim for underwater.
there just aren't that many photographers around able to do underwater shoots.
I started with "normal" modelling and went on from there. Connections help.

Not sure about gigs with kids (you probably have to build up a reputation and clientele for that), but with nightclubs, you can always volunteer first if they're not sure about a mermaid.

I would have thought that one should get ample performance opportunities in a city like Vegas, but maybe there's just a lot of competition already?
(which would explain your "friend's" unwillingness to help you out.
she might be struggling herself already. and the showbiz is a really unfriendly place in general.)

misshollydawn
07-17-2014, 08:14 AM
I currently work for a children's party company, that's the sole reason I thought of it as an 'in.' I mean, we have Ariel, why don't we have Ariel in some dang water swimming with the kids or something? I don't know...
I'll look into volunteering at clubs. That'd be an experience in its own nature. Maybe one with an outdoor pool or a bathtub or something. hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Chrissy
07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
I am doing a lot of getting my name out there right now, my tail,is being made in Florida right now so I figure while I have the down time to get the buzz out. I have been using social media, talking with my zoo/aquarium and local festivals and so on. I figure my first year will be a lot of volunteer work and swimming at my local pool. I have business cards and a website and I have had several people tell me for next year they are wanting me!!! Just have to be patient and realize that this is not an over night sensation but a building process!!!

The_MermaidBrianna
04-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Hey! i know you posted this forever ago, but i am just getting started as well, and i have NO idea what to say to my local aquarium and Zoo and Library. Do you just call them up and ask they if they would like a Mermaid there?? I'm just started getting my name out there so any advice will do! <3