PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever swam in a neoprene silicone combo????

Firemaid
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Hello mermaids,
I have some questions about the neoprene silicone combo tails! I hope you guys can help me out!
I'm thinking about making one for a friend of mine.
What is your experience swimming in them?
How would you compare them to neoprene tails?
How would you compare them to a silicone tail?
Why is a 100% silicone tail preferable? They are so expensive to make! Do they swim much better than the combo tails?
I have made and swam in neoprene tails, and I have made and swam in silicone tails.
I LOVED my neoprene tails!! The only issue was the flukes where always a bit floaty..
I ADORE my silicone tails, but they are so heavy out of the water.I swam in a mertailor combo tail one time for like 20min. The fluke had a little drag due to not enough escape route for the water, but other that that it was really comfortable!
I'm thinking the combo tails (probably with an all silicone fluke) might be a dream come true.
What are your opinions?

Seatan
07-18-2014, 06:09 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea. I like neoprene for water wear in general--I usually wear a shorty SCUBA suit at the lake instead of a bathing suit. It's comfortable, holds in some body heat, and gives you nice float. I have never worn a silicone/neoprene combo, but I bet I would enjoy it. That was what I was going to make, but I decided it was physically easier to make full silicone. I think there's a market for it, personally!

Firemaid
07-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks Seavanna!
Any other mers out there have any insight for me?
I would really like to know why you guy think full silicone tails are superior (If you do)
xoxox

Mermaid Wesley
07-21-2014, 08:01 PM
I think (not sure) that the partial silicone tails are less durable. I think they sometimes separate or stretch out. Also mers with big hips and little waists can't get into a neoprene tail without a zipper. Not sure though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizuko
07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I have a Merbella's silicone/neoprene tail and I love it!
I actually dont get much floating in it, and if I do its very minimal and I dont really notice it (I dont have to fight to sink or anything!). On land its perfect, super light and wonderful for land events (or even just being carried by my mertender- he much prefers my neoprene-lined tail to my 100% silicone one! haha!)
The only issue I have with it is the time it takes to dry completely: you have to be very careful as it can take days if the weather isn't right, and therefore mold can form easily.
Other than that, I can totally recommend them! :D

Firemaid
07-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I have a Merbella's silicone/neoprene tail and I love it!
I actually dont get much floating in it, and if I do its very minimal and I dont really notice it (I dont have to fight to sink or anything!). On land its perfect, super light and wonderful for land events (or even just being carried by my mertender- he much prefers my neoprene-lined tail to my 100% silicone one! haha!)
The only issue I have with it is the time it takes to dry completely: you have to be very careful as it can take days if the weather isn't right, and therefore mold can form easily.
Other than that, I can totally recommend them! :D

Thanks Muizuko!
Is it hard to get on and off?

Mizuko
07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Its super easy in comparison to my silicone tail :) I might've lost weight since getting it, so that might help, but even when I first tried it on it was easy! :)