PDA

View Full Version : Questions about first tail

RusticMermaid
07-22-2014, 10:27 AM
So I'm looking into my first tail. I'm only 15, so I don't have many ways to make money, but since my birthday is coming up, I'm expecting to rake in quite a bit (probably between $200-$400) considering it's the only thing I'm asking for. Alright, now the background is done, onto the questions.

Would I be better off buying a tail, or making one myself? (Keep in mind the only thing I've ever sewn was a pair of pajama pants and a pillow.)
What should I expect from my first tail?
Are there any companies you can recommend?
If I buy, how much should I be willing to pay for my first tail?
If I make it, what should my budget be, and are there any tutorials you could recommend?
What was your first (bought or homemade) tail like?

I honestly have more questions, but I'm afraid they've slipped my mind.

AniaR
07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Most of what you're asking is already well documented on here

The what to expect with your first tail thread is here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

Check out the threads stickied to the top here: http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?34-Tail-Swimming

and check out the threads stickied to the top here: http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?37-Professional-Mermaiding

For everything else, read the review section and the tail making section. Good luck.

RusticMermaid
07-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Oops, sorry! Thank you very much for the links, though.

Chrissy
07-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I would go with a fabric tail first so you get the feel of being bound with a mono fin!!! I got my first tail from Fin Fun and they have a great selection of colors. They are very well made tails and have a new color line out that is very realistic!! They also sell mono fins that fit their tails too. I really enjoyed my fabric tail and totally recommend Fin Fun for anyone looking to get a nice tail and not spend a ton of money!!!

Raayvhen
07-22-2014, 08:45 PM
I definitely say get a monofin before getting a tail. I feel like the Oceanika Merfin or any of the softer monofins are a good starter fin.

RusticMermaid
07-22-2014, 09:57 PM
snip snip snip

If you don't mind me asking, about how long did your tail last before you either got rid of it or had to fix it? (I just spent an hour looking at their website oops)

BayouMermaid
07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
My tail is fabric (spandex/nylon), and it is a little over a year old now with repainting needed monthly (I do a lot in mine though, probably more than anyone should in a spandex tail). Something that I did to prolong the life of my tail was adding a clear glitter fabric paint to high stress areas, like the heels. I have no holes so far!

Lostariel Telrunya
07-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Same here. I made a spandex (and something else mix) about a year and a half ago. I've been slowly working on it bit by bit (first made a mock monofin out of cardboard so I could start sewing, then made the fabric part of the tail, made another monofin, made a BETTER monofin, painted, now I'm making accessories).I got a knit fabric, so it's super stretchy and it won't fray at all. I literally have one seam on my entire tail, and the rest has just been loose for the past year and a bit, and nothing has happened to the edges. I would definitely stat with a fabric tail. My advice as well would be to make a cheap monofin, and then you can upgrade later.

Chrissy
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
my fabric tail is still fine, I had tiny repairs and sewing that I had to make b/c I snagged it on the pool stairs but it is still working just fine. :)