PDA

View Full Version : New Merman- HELP!

Merman Delphis
07-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey guys!
I'm brand new to this community and I'm dying to get my first tail. I'll be leaving for Oklahoma Christian University for college in about 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone knew how to make and hide a merman tail in a college dorm without a roommate knowing. I know that's a bunch of different stuff to talk about in just a few sentences, but I'm worried that my roommate will find it and think I'm gay (which I'm not (I'm actually trying to get my girlfriend to get a tail as well)). Anyway, thanks for listening and swim on!
Sincerely,
Scotty Cole
aka
Merman Scott

Raayvhen
07-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Or you could just be open about it.

Merman Delphis
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Very good point.... Thanks for the tip!

coral_sybil
07-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Start a pod on your campus

Aquos Savar
07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Im gonna tell you what a mer-friend told me. First, get a tail. If you don't want your parents seeing half a fish in the mailbox, then talk to a friend and ask him to have it shipped to their house (I have a friend who will do that for me). Second, hide it in your closet. There is no safest place than between the two pieces of clothing you'll not use in a while or hide it inside that piece of clothing. With fabric tails, most of them have removable monofins. Focus on the fabric and not in the monofin. IF he founds the monofin, just say: "Im a free diver" (That will solve your problem in a second)

Seatan
07-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm worried that my roommate will find it and think I'm gay (which I'm not (I'm actually trying to get my girlfriend to get a tail as well)). Anyway, thanks for listening and swim on!

Hi Scott--welcome!

If you have a girlfriend and are living with your roommate, he's going to figure out that you are not gay pretty quickly. I'm not going to say that it doesn't matter what people think or that there is nothing wrong with being gay--even though both of those things are true--because I understand that how people perceive us has an effect on how we feel. However, there is no point in changing or hiding something about yourself in order to keep someone from thinking something that you can tell them flat out is not true simply by talking about your girlfriend or just coming out and saying it. I've had a lot of people think I am a lesbian (I'm actually a bisexual who usually ends up dating men) simply because I am rather loud and tomboyish, but I don't change my demeanor so that they won't think that. And funny enough, it is those same attributes that make them think "gay" when they see me that make me very popular to date with men--smart, loud mouthed, up front, secure in my sexuality, the anti of needy, etc (aka, not fitting our stereotype of women who need to be taken care of).

PearlieMae
07-22-2014, 04:44 PM
F*** 'em. Let roomie think what he likes. It's not your problem.

:rollover:

Lostariel Telrunya
07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Put it in a tuxedo bag! As long as you get a tail that doesn't have an incredibly massive fluke, it will fit, and you won't have to smush it anywhere, AND it will look completely natural in the closet. No suspicion, just one classy merman!

Blaze
07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
F*** 'em. Let roomie think what he likes. It's not your problem.

:rollover:

I'm with Pearlie. If you act like it's something that needs to be hidden then it looks like you are doing something wrong. :)

Lostariel Telrunya
07-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I do understand the possible want for it to be a private thing. Let's face it, some mers are just welcome more in some places than others. You can always just hint about it for a while, and then tell somebody. I would tell your girlfriend though if you haven't already. If someone asks about it, just be honest.

Merman Delphis
07-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Thank you everyone! I told my girlfriend and she's cool with it. :D I greatly appreciate everyone's kindness!

Merman Delphis
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
As far as the pod on campus goes, that's a great idea! And the tuxedo bag idea: PERFECT!!

Lostariel Telrunya
07-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Haha glad to help :) To get that pod going, you can just start a poster around campus. If you want to, you can make it anonymous, that way you're not putting your name all over the place, but you can still find other people who are into the same things as you.

Lostariel Telrunya
07-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Just put an email or a cell phone number on it so people can contact you.

Merman Delphis
07-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Sweet! Thanks!

malinghi
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
While I totally agree that "its best not to have to hide things", and "you should be yourself", and "if other people judge you they weren't worthwhile anyway", in practice being totally open about this can be easier said than done. If you choose to only tell people you're friends with that's fine too. It's just a matter of personal preference.

As for finding people to swim with, you should also try reaching out to people who already are part of this community, through both this site, and through facebook:
http://mernetwork.com/index/dcMembermap.php
https://www.facebook.com/groups/311471195561315/

Also, making a new campus group is hard. You might be able to find existing groups where swimming in a tail would fit in. Try looking for clubs relating to fantasy, live action role playing, or cosplaying.

Merman Delphis
07-28-2014, 09:57 PM
So I've told some of my closest friends about it, and they're all really excited about it! Thank you everyone for the encouragement!!

Lostariel Telrunya
07-29-2014, 12:27 AM
It's great that you have told people! I really hope it all pans out from you :) I definitely agree it is much harder actually telling people about it than one may think. I always seem like a hypocrite because I like giving people advice on this website (I'm really sorry if it gets annoying), yet I have neither told anyone I even remotely like mermaids, own a completed tail, or actually swam in a tail. I'll get to it, I'll get to it. It is truly awesome that you have friends who can understand and support you!

Fun123joker
07-29-2014, 12:52 AM
i have to agree with everyone here. but if its not the answer you're looking for. say that the ladies dig it or you secretly act and doing a role for the college film class. its still being open about it

Lostariel Telrunya
07-29-2014, 01:01 AM
You can also do that. That works too. :)

spottedcatfish
07-30-2014, 03:56 AM
I'm curious as to what tail you plan on getting? You may want to use this tail maker map/guide I just created. Oh! It looks like Foxmoon tails are in your state! They are one of the longest running and first mermaid tail companies! But feel free to go with whatever maker you want to.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zSpqH_ILiIyc.k5HHopZgztC0

Merman Delphis
07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I was going to try and make it myself as I'm just starting out:/

Raayvhen
07-30-2014, 12:10 PM
If you haven't sewn anything or drafted a pattern before I'd really suggest buying one at first. You can get nice first tails for under $200 including a monofin!

Arella
07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
As a college student can personally tell you that your tail won't fit in your dorm. There is simply not enough space, what space you do have you are going to want for more practical things. IMO you should wait to bring the tail up, get settled then if you decide you have room, bring it. You need to consider where will you use it up there and when (you will probably be much busier then you think) and where you are going to rinse it and dry it. If I end up needing my tail for gigs during the year (went "pro" this summer yay!) I plan on keeping mine in my car and my roommate happens to be my best friend and help me out during gigs so she is very understanding of the whole tail situation. Feel free to message me with questions :)

Lostariel Telrunya
07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah, if you want to make a tail out of fabric, definitely get some practice. I made pillows, quilts, pajama pants, hand bags, and even a little vest before venturing out to sew a tail that fit me. You also can end up spending quite a bit on fabric or other material. Buying a tail is definitely the best way to go in your situation.

Merman Delphis
07-31-2014, 06:16 PM
I've sewn various things, but I want a professional stitch.... Like the ones sewing machines have:/ I also do theatre, so I should have access to a sewing machine fairly easily, as I know they'll have them at the college:) Does that make sense?

Lostariel Telrunya
08-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Yup! Also, if you want a much smoother, 'professional' looking stitch, you're at a university! There must be someone who can sew well. Ask someone for help if want to. Make sure if you are doing fabric to use a zigzag stitch. Otherwise it won't stretch on the sides.

Merman Delphis
08-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Gotcha! Thank you so much!!!

Lostariel Telrunya
08-02-2014, 02:00 PM
You are very welcoome :)