PDA

View Full Version : Full Tail Mould!

Kishiko
07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey!

so I've had a Thought for a while, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

So my idea was instead of have a separate scale and fluke mould, if anyone has ever made one big mould for one side? Like using clay or foam of whatever, and making your scales then connecting them directly to your fluke mould. Then proceed to cast the entire thing with resin, shell shock, etc. Do you think this would work? I feel like you wouldn't have to Hassle with trying to attach the scales after they are cat, and you could make more intricate and unique transitions. Also, I think it would help with having less noticeable ankle wrinkles (how sometimes in bunches up and looks kind of disconnected)

anyway, what are your thoughts.?

PS: Sorry I put it in he wrong session!

Seatan
07-23-2014, 09:57 PM
I think that you would have trouble connecting the two sides of the body part once you pulled it from the mold. The fluke it easy to match, but you will have to cut the body to size.

Kishiko
07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
That's what I mean. Make it the measurements, then leave a "seam allowance" (just like when making fabric tail) to wrap around and attach together

Seatan
07-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Hm... Then I would say the work would even out. It's a lot easier to make a simple scale mold than to fit it to certain dimensions. But you would have to figure out how you would make the ankles come together correctly when attached to the fluke. It is probably possible, but I am, having a hard time visualizing what you'd need (since you have overlap to seam the sides but have no overlap to glue the fluke together).

Kishiko
07-23-2014, 10:23 PM
You could leave a bit of excess on the fluke too, anywhere really. And I suppose you could leave it as a general rectangle scale mould if you want to reuse it. Hmmm I don't know. It was just an idea :P thanks for the feedback!

Mermaid Wesley
07-23-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm sure you could, but I don't think attaching the fluke is too difficult. Unless you want to do some crazy transition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kishiko
07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm sure you could, but I don't think attaching the fluke is too difficult. Unless you want to do some crazy transition

I was was more thinking to help with the ankles not bunching up so much. There's only so much measuring you can do when it's separate and trying to attach it

Mermaid Wesley
07-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Ah ok well if you're making it for yourself you can always seam up the scales first, put it on, and pin the fluke into place while you're wearing it

Kishiko
07-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Or use a leg dummy ;)

Mermaid Wesley
07-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah that too lol

Aziara
07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
I think latexman did this technique. He built the mold onto plaster casts of the actresses' legs.

Theobromine
07-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I think that's an interesting idea and definitely possible. I agree that it would be easier to do interesting transitions between scales and fluke that way...I was actually thinking of doing something like this for a tail idea I've had in mind for ages (it's not based on the traditional fish mermaid and would need a more gradual transition between scales and fins, if ya know what I mean). I think one problem would just be the size of the mold, though. I also don't think it would help much with ankle bunching. The ankle area is going to bunch up a little anyway, even in the best-fitted tails, just because ankles move and when they move, things either stretch out or bunch up over them.

I do think it's a really cool idea though, let us know if you attempt it.

jazz2453
07-26-2014, 09:33 AM
A two part mold (front and back) is actually the way it should be done. Linden's tail was done that way and that's why it's seamless. The only reason why people make rectangular scale sheet molds is because tailmakers did that so it could match varying sizes. But if you were making your own custom tail I would do a fiberglass body cast, sculpt the full tail on top of that, make a divider wall, create the mold one side at a time (you would need mold keys so the pieces fit when you cast), connect the mold halves and and do a paint in/ slush casting, and then painting the product. Here is Linden's tail:

Here's her tail sculpture:

Here's a video of the full process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVEYS7Gc-4

Lostariel Telrunya
07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I think it would be super cool if, like Teobromine said, you wanted to do a really unique transition from feet to fluke. It does take a lot of time, and I would say if you're making your own tail, opt to do separate moulds for now.