PDA

View Full Version : Gyms that have pools and allow tails? (preferable in the arlington area)

Mermaid Lunette
07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Lotus_blooming and I are looking for gyms with pools that also allow tails, does anybody know of a few? or is the only way to go in and ask? (we will probably ask either way, but if anybody has a good idea of gyms with pools that are cool with mermaid tails that would give us our base to look) especially in the arlington area.:)

Gem Stone
07-24-2014, 12:55 PM
If a pool allows flippers, go in in person and ask about your tail. Be ready to answer their questions, and that normally works for me. Every pool I've asked, if they allows flippers, they allow tails.

Mermaid Lunette
07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
ah! okie dokie ^^ (is there any gyms you can think of in particular? so that I may have some place to perhaps start?)

Trade Winds
07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?t=7562

Sent from my LG-D520 using Tapatalk

Seatan
07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Hugh Smith Recreational Center pool is the best place in Arlington. They allow tails and it is 12 feet deep. I did my scuba certification there and have swam in my tail many times. It's in South Arlington. http://naturallyfun.org/pools/hugh-smith-indoor-pool

Seatan
07-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Also, 24 Hour Fitness in Arlington will let you, but the pool is really shallow. The deep end is like five feet. Go to Hugh Smith! :)

Blaze
07-24-2014, 05:40 PM
the LA fitness chain is what we use and they allow it.

Seatan
07-24-2014, 05:54 PM

How deep are their pools? Okay for a Competitor fin?

Aquarianne
07-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I belong to the YMCA and they allow my Finis rapid...plus I asked if i can use my tail in the pool when I was done making it and they said as long as I show it to them beforehand to make sure it doesn't shed glitter or bits of stuff that can get in the filter, they're totally fine! the head of aquatics is actually a big Ariel fan from when she was a kid and is excited to see it :)

i think I mentally prepared them for it cuz I put "training to be a professional mermaid" on my application for their low-income discount on membership. So they knew what to expect when I started coming in with the monofin :) I also offered to do parties or visits to the small kids' swimming classes in return, which I think sweetened the deal. I try to do a certain number of hours of charity work every month as a personal goal, so I don't mind this tradeoff, especially since the facility is right next to my house.

Their pool is bout 4 feet at the shallow end, 20 feet at the deep, four lanes wide.

I have a mer friend who also uses the Y and they allow her monofin and tail, and that's in Maryland. So I guess check out your local Y if you don't have an LA fitness? The LA Fitness' near me don't have pools, otherwise I would've gone to them first. But the Y is so chill with mer stuff that I'm glad I'm with them now.

Blaze
07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
How deep are their pools? Okay for a Competitor fin?

They are shallow/standable the whole time. 4-5 feet I think. I don't have a competitor so I don't know what it requires.

Seatan
07-26-2014, 01:44 PM
I have a mer friend who also uses the Y and they allow her monofin and tail, and that's in Maryland. So I guess check out your local Y if you don't have an LA fitness? The LA Fitness' near me don't have pools, otherwise I would've gone to them first. But the Y is so chill with mer stuff that I'm glad I'm with them now.

You're very lucky--most of the YMCAs have a standard policy of no fins. A few years back they allowed them, then all fins were banned in most Y pools. Wish the ones in Arlington would let me swim! :/

Aquarianne
07-26-2014, 01:58 PM
You're very lucky--most of the YMCAs have a standard policy of no fins. A few years back they allowed them, then all fins were banned in most Y pools. Wish the ones in Arlington would let me swim! :/

Wow, really? Our Y has smaller monofins in the storage cupboard for ppl to use. Not as big as a rapid, but still, they are there!

I guess it just depends on the Y. :( I guss it helps that there are few mers in my area...the cooler weather minimizes working mers, so they don't see them as much! So they don't have a chance to get tired of seeing them, maybe?

Seatan
07-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Yeah, the Ys in our area don't let people use them because they don't want people to get kicked in the face. Maybe if your Ys have a lot of people using them, that fear is less. I just know down here they are all no-fin for "safety reasons". You can't use normal dive fins, either.

Merman Delphis
07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
When I used my scuba equipment a while back at the Arlington, they didn't allow snorkels, but they allowed fins... But the pool isn't deep enough for merman-ing, though:/

Lotus the Mermaid
07-29-2014, 04:55 AM

That's the gym we'll most likely be joining! The one near Lake Arlington is closest to our new place. It also has a hot tub six feet from the pool - great reward for any workout!

MerDragon Arie
08-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm sure the gym we go to will allow our tails! We will just have to ask! Maybe we could also reserve the pool for a hour or something and use just one lane that way we don't bump into anyone! Also we need to go check out this Hugh Place it sounds awesome!!

LauraLWatson
09-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Hugh Smith Pool in Arlington allows them, and it's deep (scuba classes practice there), but their open swim hours are LIMITED.

However, City of Frisco will NOT allow mermaids in ANY of their city pools. Had to cancel on a birthday party. :-(