PDA

View Full Version : New Houston Area Mermaid

masstori
07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Well! Hello!

My friend and I are interested in starting mermaiding -- Summer is almost done, sure, but that's ok! I've never really been good at intro stuff, but basically I have been researching a lot, and I am not at ALL a strong swimmer and as a kid I always had ear infections, but I love the water and I love being in it. I wanted to go to school for Marine Biology, but my dad said I would never find a job so he kinda crushed that.

I'm still interested in the field, though, and I am working to be a photographer and I'd love to pair it with my love for the ocean!

My friend is plus sized, so she's a little iffy about the whole thing, and always talks about when she is thinner she'll start, but why put off tomorrow what you can do today!

I'm so happy to be here and I hope I can learn a lot!

MadisonTheMer93
07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Welcome!! Mermaids come in all shapes and sizes!!

-The curious new mermaid

masstori
07-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Indeed they do! And I've shown her :)

Now she just wants us to figure out where we'd swim!

I need to make us tails, but I fear by the time I finish it'll be too cold to swim anymore.

Mermaid Enora
07-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the Texas pod!

My tail is still in the works, but I plan on swimming in the cold anyway when its done.

AmberEmme
07-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I've been obsessing over making my first tail. I'm in the same boat as you, not being a strong swimmer. And like your friend, I too am plus sized. I'd like to start so soon as possible before it gets too cold!

Merman Delphis
07-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Welcome!!!! It's so great to have you!!!

masstori
07-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much! It's great to be here! I told my sister about it all, and she said it made her think of fat amy acting like a mermaid on pitch perfect. But I won't let her jokes tear me away.

Merman Delphis
07-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Don't let it! Don't let what she said hurt you!

MermaidAmestris
08-01-2014, 11:49 AM
If you do find a place to swim, could you please let us know? I'm in the Houston-ish area and the only place I can think of is the San Jacinto, but it's disgustingly dirty in most places near me.

AmberEmme
08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Do you not favor regular swimming pools? I was thinking of using a friend's apartment pool, because I think it'd be great for pictures.

masstori
08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
In the neighborhood I live in now, we only have a splash park. I don't have a YMCA membership or anything so that's out, but I'm sure they'd let people swim in the long pools, the other oneswould be too crowded.

The neighborhood down the street from mine has a closed off pool, but my dad thinks we could swim there because our neighborhoods are owned by the same people. So I think Apartment pools would be fine, too. It's about who you know, I guess.