PDA

View Full Version : Found something kinda neat

Grey Gambit
07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
So, I was browsing tumblr the other day and I found this mini tutorial on making scale mail (http://myrddin-emrys.tumblr.com/post/91068698578/disclaimer-this-is-not-my-own-idea-i-got-the-tip) through knitting. I'm not a knitter, but I thought this might interest some people, as it looks like it has some potential for tops and accessories, and maybe even tails. I'm kind of tempted to see if I can't work out some kind of vest with this idea, or gauntlets, even if it ends up being a "dry" wear kind of thing.

Carolina Mermaid
07-28-2014, 06:24 PM
That looks really cool!

Mermaid Saoirse
07-28-2014, 06:34 PM
This looks awesome! I know a few friends who can knit and I have basic knowledge of it. I'll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing!

AniaR
07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
actually there's a group here who make the scales and told me they sold them to a mermaid performer in LA to make one. Might of been Hannah or a silverton mermaid Im not sure. They told me there are types of scales they can make that are very light weight and wont rust in water

Mermaid Tula
07-29-2014, 12:38 AM
They're anodized aluminum scales. I do chainmaille and scalemaille and use them often. I've been planning on making scale gauntlets and possibly a top for myself out of them soon ^__^ Theringlord.com has a great selection, as does etsy.com . The ringlord has some laser etched ones that are really awesome looking

Lostariel Telrunya
07-29-2014, 12:42 AM
That looks awesome! I saw some small flat beads at Michaels a couple of days ago, and thought I could probably do something with them. Now I know what! That is so cool. Thanks for sharing :)

XMermaidMarinaX
07-29-2014, 04:44 AM
For my darker tail I plan to order one day, I would adore an armor-esque style top like that. If someone were to make this, that'd be awesome.

MermaidBrandie
08-17-2014, 06:19 PM
I think this would make for a beautiful dry event tail, but I don't think it would be good to swim in. :(