PDA

View Full Version : Why swimming with arms extended in front makes you faster

Seatan
07-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Being a really slow swimmer when not wearing fins, I was reading a book on swimming and discovered there is a mathematical reason why swimming with arms extended in front of you (like in the proper dolphin kick) makes you go faster than doing the same kick with your arms at your sides. I found it interesting and thought I would share.

Reference: Laughlin, Terry (2012-03-13). Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier (Kindle Locations 500-515). Touchstone. Kindle Edition. (http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster-ebook/dp/B006VHJ53Y/ref=zg_bs_159908011_1)

Longer Boats Are Faster. Longer Bodies Are Too.

When I was still pretty green at the coaching business, I was lucky enough to have two very gifted swimmers on my team and smart enough to realize I could learn more from them than they could from me. The first thing I noticed was that no matter how fast they swam, they made it look relatively effortless. That didn’t come as such a surprise—I’d observed this in accomplished swimmers before— but why did they also somehow look taller in the water than everyone else? The best swimmers, I’ve noticed over the years, always do. And it has little to do with their actual height. A skilled swimmer who is only 5'10" looks taller in the water than an unpolished swimmer who is 6'2", and it’s no illusion. Better swimmers do “swim taller”—something anyone can learn—and because they do, they go faster. It’s one of the fundamental principles naval architects have been using for over a century to design fast ships. In the 1830s, a fever broke out among clipper ship owners to shatter the record for the fastest ocean crossings. The boats had only sails for power and couldn’t simply install bigger engines, so more speed had to come from better hull design. W. Froude, a naval architect in England, tested various vessel shapes in a tank to learn which would produce the fastest design. His key discovery was that, all other things being equal, a vessel’s drag decreases as its length at the waterline increases. Translation: Longer boats go faster—and easier. To this day, his calculations, known as Froude numbers, are used to predict the potential speed of various vessel designs. What applies to clipper ships applies to you. In the vernacular of naval architecture, your body—along with racing yachts, rowing shells, or canoes—is a “surface-penetrating moving body” subject to many of the same laws. If a longer vessel can go faster, a taller swimmer can too. And taller swimmers do. In the 100-meter freestyle, swimming’s premier sprint event, the fastest men in the world average about 6'6".

There are ways you can swim tall too, regardless of your height. And they are important to learn because they put mathematics powerfully in your favor. Take a hypothetical six-footer who swims the mile in 25 minutes. Feed him some growth hormone so he sprouts up to nine feet. He doesn’t train any longer or harder, he doesn’t get any stronger or fitter, he doesn’t change his stroke in any way. He just gets taller. But his improved Froude number predicts that he can probably do the mile in 18 minutes! Fine. But what if you’re “only” 6'0" and at thirty-something quite likely to stay there? Well, as far as the water is concerned you can still grow, stretching your six feet to nearly nine feet from fingertips to toes by simply extending your arm overhead. And if you can stay in that extended—taller—position for more of each stroke cycle, you improve your own Froude number enough to go much faster on the same amount of energy. Here’s a simple experiment to prove it. Under water, push off the pool wall as hard as you can with your arms at your sides (the six-foot position) and glide as far as possible until you surface. Then do it again with your arms straight and streamlined overhead (the nine-foot position). See how much farther you go? That’s also the secret for swimming taller, what my mentor, Bill Boomer, calls front-quadrant swimming, or FQS. In the illustration below, consider the waterline as the x-axis and an imaginary vertical line through the shoulder as the y-axis. The two lines divide the swimming space into quadrants, the front quadrant being the one in front of the shoulder and under the water. FQS swimming means always keeping one or the other of your hands in that front quadrant. (At the beginning of each stroke, of course, both hands are there.) It’s really just another way of saying “swimming tall,” of lengthening your body line and making you taller than you really are. Leave your right hand out in front while the left is stroking, then begin stroking the right just as the left returns to the front quadrant, and so on. One hand doesn’t start until the other one’s nearly back. Leaving each in place just a split second extra can make a big difference in your Froude number. Common sense? Well, actually not so common. Why else would almost all the swimmers in my weekend workshops show up the first day as rear-quadrant swimmers? Why else would I have worked so hard when I was in college at being a rear-quadrant swimmer? Because it’s easy to fall into the trap: “I move my body by pulling my hands back, right? To get it going faster, then, I just move my hands back faster, right? Gliding along with hands stretched in front? All that will do is slow me down!” So my college swim strategy was like a bathtub windup toy: Dig in and pull back as soon as my hands touched the water. Unfortunately, it guaranteed that I would spend precious little time with either hand out in front of my head. I swam short, and it showed. I took 24 to 25 strokes per length, compared to the 14 or 15 I now use in my early fifties. Stroking fast was making it harder to swim fast.

AniaR
07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
It's funny you did this. In my bachelor of education science program we had to keep a science journal and this along with the physics of monofins were topics I wrote about!

PearlieMae
07-29-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm going to have to try that! I can see how it would work for a boat gliding on top of water, but I didn't think it would apply completely submerged, other than having a more hydrodynamic shape.

MermaidCoralie
07-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Awesome facts! In the competitive swimming world we call arm extended over head streamlining. You're facts proved my coach right that the fastest part of swimming is underwater!!

Mermaid Aglaia
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
That are only a hydrodynamical phenomenon. every body have a drag coefficient. A more streamlined body has a lower drag coefficient than a unstreamlined body. The position of the arms doesn't change the drag coeffcient but the frontal surface area decrease. this is the reason why vou can swim faster with arm in front position.

The reason why you can swim underwater faster than at the survace. At the surface you have a front wave and a back wave. these both waves need a lot of energy to create it and produce drag. Underwater, you dont have this waves.

If you want to swim faster have you a third cange to increase you speed. Decrease the drag coefficient. The legs produce mutch of drag. Maybe a good siliconetail can decrease the drag coefficient because your body is than more streamlined.

Mermaid Jaffa
07-30-2014, 05:12 AM
I will have to try the arms in front style too, its also called Superman style!

Echidna
07-30-2014, 04:18 PM
The difference between the 2 styles is hardly noticeable, unless you also swim with your face down and a smooth cap/hood on.
If I don't have to look forward or around, watching out for other swimmers to keep away from, I'm a lot faster with arms forward.

Mermaid Galene
07-30-2014, 04:24 PM
I find it easier to steer up or down in the water column with my arms extended in front, so this is my default swimming method in a tail or monofin.

Aziara
07-30-2014, 07:00 PM
I swim with my arms out in front so my fingers hit the wall (little ouch) instead of my teeth/chin/face (BIG OUCH!) I never really noticed that it made me faster, but it does help a little to 'break' the water ahead of me, which seems to decrease the pressure on my eyes when I open them.

MerEmma
07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
I swim with my arms out in front so my fingers hit the wall (little ouch) instead of my teeth/chin/face (BIG OUCH!) I never really noticed that it made me faster, but it does help a little to 'break' the water ahead of me, which seems to decrease the pressure on my eyes when I open them.

YES, same!! I recommend anyone swimming close to the bottom have their arms ahead of them if they don't have goggles on. I've personally never hit my chin on the bottom as long as I keep my arms in front. A bit of a safety measure, haha.

Seatan
07-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Yes!!! I once hit the bottom teeth first. And I have caps that cost a lot of money. I was soooooo scared! Now I always go down fingers out!

ShyMer
07-30-2014, 07:26 PM
That's very interesting! I assumed that this was due to my arms starting a better stroke than just my head/shoulders. It could be both for me, I suppose.

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

Lorelei
07-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Yes!!! I once hit the bottom teeth first. And I have caps that cost a lot of money. I was soooooo scared! Now I always go down fingers out!
The same exact thing happened to me! Chipped a big part of my front tooth off. It was awful and very expensive. :( Now it's just instinctual for me to swim "H2O style," with my arms in front. I find it the most fun though. :)

Mermaid Wesley
07-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Ugh I used to do this but I sprained my thumb hitting the wall last month and Now I'm scared lol

Mermaid Jaffa
07-31-2014, 06:10 AM
Does arms in front require less effort? From what I can see on youtube, your fingers lead the way, the rest of your body follows. You don't really have to move anything much. Just let your body follow the motions?

Echidna
07-31-2014, 06:56 AM
as I said, it's hard to tell a subjective difference.

Swimming with arms extended gives me the impression of being stiffer in the chest though, so I have to start the undulation further down in the body than normal.
I can make a much more noticeable, bigger amplitude undulation with arms at the sides, but it might be a delusion.

I like to perform large amplitudes when swimming slow, and a very flat, almost unnoticeable undulation when swimming fast (it almost looks as if I didn't move anything).
The latter seems easier with arms extended, probably because it does stiffen the head/chest area and thus forces the undulation beginning point down to the stomach.

Princess Pearl
07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
When I try to swim with my arms in front of me they get tired so fast. I feel that I'm forcing my way through the water. But when I have my arms at my side I zip along with no problem. Weird

Fun123joker
08-01-2014, 12:00 AM
^ same. i feel like my arms are more binded when they are infront. i like having my arms to the side. it works best in the game sharks and minnows

Lorelei
08-01-2014, 02:20 AM
That's really weird, I feel opposite. :/ I always do a mix between the two but prefer my hands in front because I feel like I'm flowing with the water a lot more and I can go faster if I want to. Plus, like I said before after chipping my tooth on a pool before, I'm more comfortable hitting something with my hand than with my face, haha. :) Guess I'm just weird.

mermaidmanuela
08-01-2014, 05:00 AM
When I swim without extended arms my head and upper body part go more up and down; using my hands this ondulation results smaller. I don't feel any other diffference :)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-01-2014, 05:23 AM
My arms do get tired too with arms in front. I remember trying it the first time I got my Wave monofin. Next time, I'll try it again but this time with the arms more relaxed and not so tight and straight.

Amphitrite
08-03-2014, 05:06 PM
I personally find it easier to dolphin kick with my arms in front. It feels easier to move and I feel I go faster, although I have not tested this. I do know that I will be doing more strength training with my shoulders as they are a bit sore after a good hour or so in the water.

Raayvhen
08-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I need to work on keeping my arms in front. It's personally harder for me to swim that way. I'm most comfortable with my arms at my sides.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-17-2014, 06:55 AM
I tried at the pool this evening. It doesn't work so well when one is shoots straight up like a cork!

Mer-Crazy
09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
I've found swimming with my arms extended makes my kick feel much smoother and more technically correct. Not sure if it makes me go faster but it feels better.

maressa
10-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Awesome!! This is how I've been practicing, with my arms in front of me in ballet posture. Makes for very pretty lines and I've been FLYING across the pool.

Echidna
10-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I tried at the pool this evening. It doesn't work so well when one is shoots straight up like a cork!

I had this issue when I started, it was so bad I wondered if I would ever be able to pose underwater like other mers do, not to mention do waterballet moves without swooshing back up.

I'm still very buoyant, but by now I have enough muscle mass and training to hold my position in the water column, and I can do all moves I want head-down, legs out, as long as I want (or have air)!

I began training with a weight belt (I highly recommend one), then slowly (every few months) removed the weights, until I dived without the belt.
You can do exhale swimming in the transition phase.

The only place where I still struggle is in saltwater- I need to flail my hands quite a bit if I want to stay motionless under the surface lol-
and of course when I try swimming with a wetsuit but without weight belt (and I don't think anyone does that :p ).

So keep trying, you'll get there! :)

Mermaid Melusinah
10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
I prefer both styles to be honest. However, there is greater ease and safety that comes with arms out front. Plus with arms out front, I can cup hands and bring them down and propel that LAST tiny bit when I am at the end of the pool and just coast. But swimming with my arms to my sides forces me to rely soley on my core muscles to drive me, thus giving me a great work out. it all depends on what my intentions are for the swimming i am doing

Mermaid Jaffa
10-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Thnx Echidna. I figured as much after watching various swimming vids, that constant exercise will give me some kind of muscle mass so that I'm not so floaty or an epic battle to flail arms and stay underwater!

Just got back from the pool... Woo! Had so much fun today. Went to the pool and stayed for a few hours. I even gave the arms in front several tries. It does feel a little bit faster and I'm not out of breath as much as without arms. And I managed to stay under the water's surface for a bit longer instead of more floaty swimming.

Rett
03-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Freaking cool info! Thanks so much for sharing! :D