PDA

View Full Version : New Fabric Tail... For Me This Time!

Little_Orca
07-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I am still working on a fabric tail for someone else (Anon.), but while I was at faerieworlds I was bitten by the "I need another tail" bug. My purple tail was a hit, though the fin was so large in the pool. I wore my spotted one on the last day and it was so much better. So, I ordered a Merfin and am going to make a new tail using that. Problem is... Color?

So, I thought I would let you all help me decide! Granted, color choice will be inevitably made by what fabrics are available. *Giggle*

But! Let me here some input! Some colors I am hesitant to do again (black and purple [since last tail was purple]), but let me know what you all think. I will start working on this one once I get the fin and once my commission one is done. ;)

Mermaid Saoirse
07-29-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm leaning a bit towards a juvenile Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, maybe a misbarred one? My brother owns a few and they're beautiful!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-90001-clownfish.jpg

Little_Orca
07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Those are lovely, but white is hard to do in paints. It requires a lot and it will be too thick and flake. Sewing patches on it not a strong suit of mine. :(

Mermaid Galene
07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Somewhere down the road, I know I'll make a green tail. It's just one of those iconic looks that seems quintessentially mermaidish. (Thanks for brainwashing us, Disney!)

Mermaid Wesley
07-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Go with royal blue perhaps

Chrissy
07-29-2014, 08:29 PM
I am a sucker for blue tails!!!

Raayvhen
07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
I think green would be lovely. Perhaps an unusual green though, like mint or a nice pastel.

Kishiko
07-29-2014, 09:11 PM
A mint and coral tail!

AniaR
07-29-2014, 09:42 PM
I wanna see a yellow tail. No one ever does yellow and it pairs so well with many colors

Raayvhen
07-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Yellow would be really pretty!

Rivertee
07-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Personally I'm looking at you as the new rainbow fish :) sharing your beauty with everyone you see so I vote rainbow scale pattern

Little_Orca
07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
I had considered a green tail since I am making one for someone else and I have never had green myself. I actually tried to avoid it for the whole Disney reason, even though one of my favorite versions of the little mermaid story has illustrations by Katie Thamer Treherne where the mermaids have green tails and look lovely. Here is one of the illustrations:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv2mf7kAfj1qhttpto1_r1_500.jpg
The little mermaid seeing the prince for the first time.

I considered going this route (or the other little mermaid I grew up with, Marina: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/xmPcOA2OxxE/hqdefault.jpg ) but adding more fins onto the tails or designing them a little differently. I have always like that color blend in the tail at the start, though. flesh, pink, purple, green. Just struck me as a child.

I tend not to go for colors like yellow or gold or red or orange (unless as an accent) since they tend to be my least favorite and remind me too much of Splash. Green and Orange have almost been completely ruined!

Edit: Wanted to clarify that they are my least favorite on me personally. On other people, those colors can, and do, look lovely.

Mermaid Galene
07-29-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm starting on a yellow and chocolate neoprene/sequined tail, based on the colors of my first musical fish.

Mermaid Fenicia
07-30-2014, 04:19 AM
When I'll finely can order my silicone tail, it will be sunny yellow (gold) ;) Also my first tail ever made is yellow ;)
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=3762&d=1341417164

Little_Orca
07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
That gold color looks good on you, Fenicia, but it would look horrid on me. XD I had a yellow outfit once and I wore it once and that was enough. Red is not terrible on me, but it's not my favorite color. It looks good usually if I do my 40's victory rolls / pin curls hair style.

I am leaning towards green with perhaps a mint-green accent on the scales. Picture my purple tail, but emerald and mint. I still have no idea about accent colors just yet. I am going to whip out a design when the fin gets here... which it should be waiting for me when I get home.

Little_Orca
07-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Holy carp.... Im considering a sequin tail... am I nuts? yes.

Mermaid Wesley
08-01-2014, 03:50 AM
DO IT

Rivertee
08-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Aren't we all for being merfolk in the first place? Go big or go home right little orca?

Little_Orca
08-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Lol. If I had the time. I need to to have this tail ready for ORF (oregon ren fair.) After I order my Raven tail I will save for sequins.

For now, I have gotten the fabric and paints. Slate blue, turquoise, and gold. Updates later, I gotta work on this green one. :)

Raayvhen
08-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm so excited to see it. Your tails are always gorgeous!

Cerulean
08-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Aah, I would've suggested the Blacksmith fish

Blue with a really interesting spotted pattern going down the tail a bit then concentrated on the fluke. Alrighty I'm not going to lie, I just really really want to see someone in a tail made up like this hahah

I'm looking forward to seeing your new tail, green will suit you nicely

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I love the little black specks! May I ask, which monofin/other thing (?) did you put in your fluke with your purple tail?

Little_Orca
08-11-2014, 05:54 AM
I love the little black specks! May I ask, which monofin/other thing (?) did you put in your fluke with your purple tail?

In my purple tail is a modified finis competitor.