PDA

View Full Version : Monthly DFW Meets

Pages : 1 [2] 3

AmbrGlows
06-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Burgers Lake is OPEN. See link in above post. They said they should ok with mermaid tails and monofins. (I called.) How about there, everyone?

They charge $15 a person to get in.

Trade Winds
06-18-2015, 02:15 PM
At this point I don't care about price. I will fork over $15. I don't think we will find many lakes open, unless someone owns a pool or lakefront property?

Other places we can try:
Granbury
Palo Pinto Lake (far drive)
Mountain Creek Lake
Mineral Wells Lake (pretty far drive)

where to not go:
Lake Lewisville
Joe Pool (duh)
Lake Worth
Eagle Mountain
Benbrook Lake (can't find info but say a pic on FB of a flooded road at one of the parks)

If anyone could help out. I'm at work and can't do much! If nothing works, I'm just gonna go to Burger's Lake and hope Mary will join me.

Mary Marine
06-18-2015, 02:35 PM
I've been so desperate to swim I don't care where it is or how much. Unless I ask off in advance I work literally every day, so I have had zero chances to swim for over a month. If the only place that's open in DFW is Burger lake then that's where I'll be on Saturday.

Trade Winds
06-18-2015, 05:14 PM
From the looks of it, Burger's Lake may not be ideal for merfolk, but it's swimming so I don't really care right now. Apparently it is spring-fed but they chlorinate the water.

Trade Winds
06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
I will try to keep an eye on some other lakes if they just happen to open in time. Otherwise me and Mary will be at Burger's Lake at 9 on Saturday. Show up when you want, of course. They are open til 7. It costs $15 a person/mer. I have updated the first post with info.

Not yet sure if I will be there Sunday too. $15 is a hefty price to pay for each day.

AmbrGlows
06-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Saturday, right?

Trade Winds
06-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Yep, Saturday/tomorrow.

I hope I can find somewhere for Sunday too.

Mermaid Enora
06-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Come with me to clear springs scuba park! ��

Trade Winds
06-19-2015, 11:22 AM
I want to, yet at the same time I am iffy because of their attitude regarding non-divers. I wanted to wait til we know for sure based on how they treat you.

Mermaid Enora
06-19-2015, 12:28 PM
I want to, yet at the same time I am iffy because of their attitude regarding non-divers. I wanted to wait til we know for sure based on how they treat you.

Oh I know :)

Mary Marine
06-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Enora, you're our guinea pig, you have to tell us how everything goes so we can see about going there in July or August. Clear Springs looks like such a cool place! Have lots of fun!

Trade Winds
06-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Also, anyone can pm me if you want my number so we can stay in touch during meets. I can text or call (hint: talking on phones makes me nervous cuz I am cool like that)

AmbrGlows
06-19-2015, 02:38 PM
This post isn't about the meet up but I just got an email from the Spandex Wherehouse on Perth off Harry Hines is Dallas. This is the shop I buy my spandex for tail making. They are going out of business and everything is on sale for $6.99 or less until June 30th.

Seatan
06-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Come with me to clear springs scuba park! ��

Hi Enora, I will try and come with you to Clear Springs SCUBA. I don't think I will bring my tail, but I will bring my Competitor monofin! :) What time are you going? Any way we could combine a ride? Where do you live? I am in Arlington. Right now I am still in Honduras but if I make it back tomorrow as scheduled then I am in!

Mermaid Enora
06-19-2015, 11:57 PM
so actually I'm driving up tomorrow night and camping overnight with my family.
I live in plano, but I'm not sure about a ride since I'll be staying overnight.
I'm bringing my tail, but I'm not sure yet if I'll end up wearing it. The bloody plague descended
upon me today and so not really sure if I want to get into my tail with all that going on esp since I have
really bad cramps. My family is planning on being done around 11am so I'll probably be swimming around 8am in the morning if I do at all.
I'd love to meet you if you make it!
I think Katyah is coming too so the more the merrier!!

Seatan
06-20-2015, 12:19 AM
YIKES! That's a bit early for me! Sorry! :(

Mermaid Enora
06-20-2015, 12:53 AM
YIKES! That's a bit early for me! Sorry! :(
yeah its the time my sister's doing her last scuba certification dive and she doesn't want to hang around much afterwards since she'll be there all day on saturday.

AmbrGlows
06-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Who's going to Burger's Lake today?

Trade Winds
06-20-2015, 10:41 AM
We are on our way.

Mermaid Enora
06-20-2015, 03:32 PM
So clears springs scuba park is having the same trouble as the other DFW area lakes.........flooding mess.
my sister is there now and says that the lake is full of green algae and brown muck and that visibility is only 3ft.
Combine that with the problem that they lock the gates at 8pm and I only get off work at 7pm ish so I can't get there tonight to camp so I won't be there at all tomorrow. :/

Trade Winds
06-20-2015, 04:48 PM
We are about to leave. Lotsa fun! No pix cuz the underwater camera batteries were corroded. :( not the best place for mermaids but we did lots of swimming and were recieved really well by kids and adults. We even made some new friends with the kids andd played with them! Sucks no one could make it. :(

Lotus the Mermaid
06-21-2015, 04:34 AM
I can't wait to be a part of these, as soon as I have my tail! :D <3

Trade Winds
06-21-2015, 07:57 AM
I can't wait to be a part of these, as soon as I have my tail! :D <3

Join us anyway! You don't need a tail. I even have an extra Fin Fun monofin you can use.

Plans for today...I have none. Anyone wanna suggest something last minute? Once lakes decide to stop being flooded, I am gonna try to be out every weekend. I will post where I will be if anyone wants to join. I am ok doing nothing tho. I unfortunately somehow got sunburned depsite everything I did.

For July, I think Sunday 19 will be the next meet. By then I am hoping Joe Pool will be open again. Basically where we were supposed to meet this time.

Mary and I want to try a nudist beach in the area (if there are any) so we can be topless mermaids! Would anyone be interested? I'll make a new topic if anyone is.

AmbrGlows
06-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Due to flooding of the Red River that is threatening the 35 bridge connecting Texas and Oklahoma they are letting more water out of Lake Texoma. This means all the lakes south of the TX/OK border will continue to flood until it is safe once again to cross that bridge. 😩

As for nudist beach in Texas, I only know of one and it is in Austin.

Trade Winds
06-26-2015, 12:34 PM
I mentioned it before but I think July 19 will be the next meet. If the lakes are still flooded by then, I opt for Burger's Lake. Isn't huge and tons of kids, but it was still a good place to do some mermaiding. Unless anyone else has suggestions.

A_Koi_Mermaid
06-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Hoping I can come to the next one! I am such a little guppy with my first monofin a lake may be a bit too much for me though.

Have we found another pool that accepts fins? I am checking with the ones here, North Richland Hills, Bedford, Euless, and Hurst. Maybe even Keller and Grapevine.

So far the only one that had anything about fins on their website was Euless, whom also said fins were okay in the lap pools.

Trade Winds
06-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Northlake pool in Irving is fine with them. Me and Mary have had no probs there.

I wouldn't be too scared about the lakes. Joe Pool has an area with a wavebreaker that is calm and pretty shallow. Burger's Lake, if we get trapped there again, is very attentive to safety and has tons of lifeguards. It's only an acre big and not deep.

Mermaid_Katyah
06-29-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm all for Burger as a back up. Finally have weekends off again, woo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmbrGlows
06-29-2015, 04:07 PM
So totally bummed :( I dint know when I'll have another weekend off. My part time auditor is out due to surgery recovery for 2-8 weeks.

A_Koi_Mermaid
06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Northlake pool in Irving is fine with them. Me and Mary have had no probs there.

I wouldn't be too scared about the lakes. Joe Pool has an area with a wavebreaker that is calm and pretty shallow. Burger's Lake, if we get trapped there again, is very attentive to safety and has tons of lifeguards. It's only an acre big and not deep.

Oh that sounds good then! Not sure how far those are yet, but I would love to get some swim tips from more experienced mers. Fairly sure I am relying on my arms too much. >.>

Trade Winds
06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Oh that sounds good then! Not sure how far those are yet, but I would love to get some swim tips from more experienced mers. Fairly sure I am relying on my arms too much. >.>

Heh, I wouldn't have many tips. I kinda have my own hippocampus style of swimming.

A_Koi_Mermaid
07-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Hey I just had an idea! Maybe one of these months when the weather isn't permitting going out to swim we can all go to the Dallas World Aquarium or the Grapevine Sea Life Aquarium? If you've never been they are both really great! The Dallas World Aquarium has a few restaurants inside and has tanks any mermaid would dream of swimming in. Plus lots of non-aquatic animals surprisingly. It's like a mini zoo all indoors! The Sea Life Aquarium is attached to Grapevine Mall so shopping!

Lotus the Mermaid
07-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Hey I just had an idea! Maybe one of these months when the weather isn't permitting going out to swim we can all go to the Dallas World Aquarium or the Grapevine Sea Life Aquarium? If you've never been they are both really great! The Dallas World Aquarium has a few restaurants inside and has tanks any mermaid would dream of swimming in. Plus lots of non-aquatic animals surprisingly. It's like a mini zoo all indoors! The Sea Life Aquarium is attached to Grapevine Mall so shopping!

I could actually go to that!!! I'm legit in! :)

Trade Winds
07-09-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't support zoos or aquariums, so count me out.

Lotus the Mermaid
07-09-2015, 06:22 PM
We can meet up at a Starbucks if worse comes to worse!!! I certainly wouldn't mind! :)

Mermaid_Katyah
07-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Just wanted to check in since it almost close to next meet time. Is Joe Pool still up for possible meet and swim? Or have we changed to dry meet? Either way, I'm free of work and school stuff, woo!

Mary Marine
07-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Probably not going to be able to attend the July meet because of my weekend job. I'm quitting (it's half the pay of my other job and 3 times the work), but not in time to make the meet. Although they did fail to send me the new schedule yesterday, so maybe that's their way of letting me know I'm not scheduled. Or maybe they just screwed my hours up (again). Sorry, venting. I'l let you guys know if I can make it.

Do we have a location? Joe Pool Lake and Lake Grapevine are still flooded out. Burger's Lake is open and was a ton of fun, if a little crowded with kids. Does anyone know if Clear Springs is open again? Or anything about Mountain Creek Park in Grande Prairie??

AmbrGlows
07-11-2015, 09:17 AM
I was hoping to make it to a meet up but my pt auditor is still out for surgery recovery so im working weekends. The meet would either have to be first thing in the morning or in the early even hours for me to make it. I get off at 6am and go to work at 10pm.

Mermaid Enora
07-11-2015, 10:13 AM
I can't make it to the meet up due to work and travel.
Also, I'm driving to Balmorrhea st park this afternoon!!!!! and spending saturday and sunday there in my tail.
So expect lots of neat underwater photos, that is if my mom turns out to be a good photographer when she refuses to put her head under water.

Mary Marine
07-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Officially put in my notice at my second job and listed the 18th as my last day, so it looks like I'll be able to make the meet after all!

Also I was looking at Facebook and while Lynn creek Park is still closed, I believe Loyd Park at Joe Pool Lake is open now.

Mermaid_Katyah
07-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Cool, so Joe Pool at Loyd is where we'll meet then. Was sometime in the morning or afternoon agreed?

Mary Marine
07-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Just called Loyd Park and although they are open there is still no swimming/boating allowed at Joe Pool.

I called Clear Springs too, which is open, but this was the conversation I just had:

CS: "Clear Springs Scuba Park."
Me: "Hi, I've been calling all the lakes in the area to see who is open with all the flooding."
CS: "We're not actually a lake, we're a scuba park for people doing scuba diving lessons."
Me: "Yes. I know." (internally: seeing as how you answered the phone as Clear Springs Scuba Park) "I'm just looking for some place to swim in a mask and fins."
CS: "We are open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday."

So yeah, technically open, but still getting the impression they don't really want anyone there who isn't renting scuba equipment and making them money. Understandable, but I'm reluctant to have a meet there at least until one of us has gone and scouted it out before hand.

Burger's Lake, where Mystery and I went in June, is still an option. Anyone else have a suggestion? We gotta decide soon so people can make plans, it's a week away!

Mermaid_Katyah
07-12-2015, 05:23 PM
With this pattern going on, I suggest we make it a dry meet then. Then at least we can save ourselves the trouble of being told, yet again, no swimming.

Would anyone be up for meeting around 2:30pm at a Starbucks?

Lotus the Mermaid
07-12-2015, 06:56 PM
With this pattern going on, I suggest we make it a dry meet then. Then at least we can save ourselves the trouble of being told, yet again, no swimming.

Would anyone be up for meeting around 2:30pm at a Starbucks?

Yes! What day was decided again?
(⌒_⌒; )

Mermaid_Katyah
07-13-2015, 03:48 AM
Yes! What day was decided again?
(⌒_⌒; )

Saturday, July 18

I think Arlington area was the general consensus. So let's look for Starbucks off 30, if possible.

Trade Winds
07-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I am down for Starbucks. There's a decent one on Lamar in Arlington, across from a Neighborhood Walmart and right off 30. It's a little tiny, but has space outside, and a Pei Wei next door for foodz.

Anyway, I am told Possum Kingdom or whatever it is is open. It's past Mineral Wells. Are we all up to driving that far? If everywhere is flooded out, I'm just gonna do Burger's Lake again. I would also like to try Eagle Mountain. Let's all keep looking. I'll pick up the pace for looking around Thursday or Friday in hopes that places may be open by then! Info online is scarce, so we'll just have to call whatever numbers we find.

Here's a map that has info on some area lakes that may be open to swimming. It all looks iffy. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/park-alert-status

Clear Springs I WOULD like to try, but they sound like they have bad customer service. If I'm gonna drive that far and pay $20 to get in, I rather deal with children at Burger's Lake. Not gonna lie, I LOVED the attention we got from kids there.

So Starbucks the 18th approx 2.30
I vote this location:
Starbucks
2100 N Collins St
Arlington, TX 76011

And swimming the 19th (Burger's Lake is what I'm going to tentatively say because everywhere is still flooded).
http://www.burgerslake.com/
TIME! I like getting places EARLY. Espeically if we have to do Burger's Lake. Getting there at nine or before is ideal cuz the line was long when me and Mary went last month. We can all arrive at whatever time we want. I'll be swimming ALL day. Mary and I stayed from about 9 to 3.30. (help, I can't stop the hyperlink)

(http://www.burgerslake.com/If)

Lotus the Mermaid
07-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Perfect! That's only 15 minutes away from my house! :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
07-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Well I have been googling around too, with relatively the same answers you guys have. There are some neat places to swim in Texas but a lot of them seem to be quite a drive we'd have to plan for. Even Clear Springs looks a ways and yeah, I dunno how they would feel about fin swimming. I have heard it has fishies you can actually see as opposed to our usual muddy water. :P

I have to say I'd like it if we could find a nice indoor pool that would accept us, just for Texas weather issues. I would gladly pay to swim indoors on a hot day with my sunburn prone skin. (Although I think you said you guys go to the Irving pool without problem so we have at least one option.)

That being said, Burger's Lake is closer for me than Joe Pool and it looks pretty nice. I'd like to go if all things permit.

Trade Winds
07-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Pools are like on the verrrrrry end of my list, especially for summer. I save them for when it's too cold.

That said, I'm going to make the meet at Burger's Lake, unless we can figure something else out. The flooding has basically damned us from swimming in a lake. Hopefully August will be better. If for some reason that doesn't work out, we can do Northlake pool in Irving. But their free swim is only a couple hours.

Unless someone can find something later in the week...

Mermaid Enora
07-14-2015, 01:18 AM
I won't be able to make it to the meet up at starbucks on the 18th I have to work :(

Trade Winds
07-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Saturdays are usually my laundry day so I may or may not be there depending on how things go. But I am more than glad to be the decisive force for when and where we meet, hehe. Sunday is for sure tho.

Trade Winds
07-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Soooo I am gonna do some looking in my free time for any lakes in the area that may be open (everyone halp with this lol), but right now I'm still gonna keep Burger's Lake as Sunday's meeting spot. Can I get a head (or fin) count, maybe?

Mermaid_Katyah
07-17-2015, 03:42 AM
I am super positive, I can make both meets. :D

Trade Winds
07-17-2015, 10:52 AM
I am super positive, I can make both meets.

Woohoo! So we at least have three for Sunday. Mary and I will be at Burger's Lake around 11 or 12, very tentative time since we're still talking about it- but I wanna throw it out there if anymer is wondering when to be there. I am guessing the lines to get in will be fairly long and a lot of space taken up by that time. Burger's Lake does serve reasonably priced food and drinks. DO NOT bring alcohol, they have cops on site that search cars. You can always bring food too.

Trade Winds
07-17-2015, 11:04 AM
also!!!!!! If you want my number to keep in contact for any meet, just pm me!!! I can text or call!

Mary Marine
07-18-2015, 12:43 AM
I wish I could be there for Saturday coffee so I could meet more of you guys! But alas, work. At least I have Burger's Lake to look forward to, and this time the underwater camera is working!

Lotus the Mermaid
07-18-2015, 04:08 AM
Mermaid Lunette and I may or may not be able to make it! We shall see!! Fins crossed! :D

Trade Winds
07-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Ok, so me and Mary plan to be at Burger's Lake at 11.

Idk if I can make it to Starbucks. Crap come up last night that is screwing up my schedule for day.

Mermaid_Katyah
07-18-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm on my way to the Starbucks now. I'll be there for a little bit at least.

Mermaid_Katyah
07-18-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm stuck in accident traffic. I might get there 12 minutes after.

Trade Winds
07-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Me and Katyah had a nice little meet. Too bad no one else showed...

Mermaid_Katyah
07-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Me and Katyah had a nice little meet. Too bad no one else showed...

It was still so awesome to meet another met in the area! Like I said before, hopefully I can make it to the swim tomorrow. :)

Trade Winds
07-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Soooooo me and Mary are still gonna be there around 11!

Trade Winds
07-19-2015, 01:10 PM
We are on our way!!!!

Trade Winds
07-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Burger's Lake was great yet again! The kids there were a kick in the pants (tail?). Not as crowded this time, but the sun was more evil.

So for next month, hoping the lakes will not be flooded anymore. I don't mind Burger's Lake aside from the small size. I am thinking August 16 for the next meet, and maybe something over Labor Day?

Mermaid Enora
07-19-2015, 10:00 PM
rats......I'm out of town on both the 16th and labor day. :(

Trade Winds
07-20-2015, 11:51 AM
rats......I'm out of town on both the 16th and labor day. :(

It isn't set in stone yet! If you have a day that works better, feel free to suggest it. As long as it isn't August 1st or 9th! I want to have more of us be able to come next time. Yesterday it was still just me and Mary (and just me and Katyah on Saturday).

Trade Winds
07-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Me and Mary want to go to Fair Park in Dallas to get some pix of me in my tail at the lagoon. Does anyone want to join us? It'd be a dry shoot only. Not sure what day just yet, probly sometime in August.

If no one chimes in for an August meet date I'mma just do August 15 or 16. Maybe do another 'weekend' thing where we hang at Starbux one day and swim the next. No telling when lakes will stop being flooded. Joe Pool is still the first option; if that doesn't work out again I'm open to suggestions. If nothing else, Burger's Lake again.

Mermaid Enora
07-23-2015, 04:19 PM
What lagoon at fair park???

Mary Marine
07-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Before anyone gets too excited the lagoon is NOT swimmable! It is totally gross and murky and full of huge snapping turtles. It is, however, an awesome location for a dry shoot, especially if you are going to the freshwater mermaid look like Seahorse Mystery and I are. It has some great cattails, lilypads, cypress and willow trees, but the main feature is a gigantic half underwater sculpture that people can walk over the lagoon on.

My freshwater tail is still in the works, so an August shoot may be a little ambitious, so probably more like September? I dunno.

Anyway, Burger's Lake was fun even though I got a sunburn that is still peeling, ouch. Hopefully more mers will be able to attend the August meet. Would it be better to vote for a date so the most people have a chance of making it? Are weekends best or should we try for a different day of the week, like a Friday? I am also available for carpooling if transportation is an issue, provided either you are in my area or willing to pitch in a little gas money.

Trade Winds
07-25-2015, 01:07 PM
totally gross and murky
But I likey...

I got a sunburn that is still peeling, ouch.
Ditto, I don't think I ever had a sunburn that bad. It was brutal. Mine just hurt for a few days, no peeling luckily.

Are weekends best or should we try for a different day of the week, like a Friday?

I am down for suggestions, but if it's during the week it may nigh impossible for me.

Trade Winds
07-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Wellz, I am going to knock JP off the list for August.

"Lynn Creek Park Remains Closed Due to Flooding. We are working hard with the Army Corps of Engineers to get the lake down to a safe level. We are hoping Lynn Creek Park will be open by Labor Day weekend-dependent upon many factors."

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-11-2015, 09:39 PM
So, what IS the plan for this month fellow mers? Still doing one dry meet and one swim meet?

That place would be pretty nice for a photoshoot! I've been there before. Unfortunately I haven't got to start building my tail yet. We are in budget mode right now.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Indeed!! I think last time, we decided the monthly plan would be Starbucks on day 1 and a swim on day 2! (^.^)

Trade Winds
08-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, is anyone actually gonna show up this time? March was good with 3 mers for that meet, but since then they have all been Mary and me. The Starbucks meet last month was a failure, with me and Katyah showing up. (Altho apparently the one before that had a good turn out- April, maybe?) So I'm iffy on even planning anything at the moment.

This weekend won't work for me as I have some other things going on. So I may knock it to the 23rd. Of course everyone is free to plan something else. Joe Pool will not be open til Labor Day, so if we want an option that's not Burger's Lake we should start looking at our other options (outside- save the pools for cold weather).

So right now a café, restaurant, etc meet (MAY I SUGGEST SPIRAL DINER!!! An entirely vegan restaurant where you can be sure nothing died or was harmed to make your meal.) maybe the 22, and a swim (Burger's Lake may again be the default unless the lakes are okay by then) on the 23.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-13-2015, 11:54 AM
I'd like to go, but not if there's pressure to attend, if that makes sense. :<

Hope you all have fun!!

Trade Winds
08-13-2015, 12:14 PM
No pressure. I just feel really bummed out that as months have gone by, I've tried to get some stuff going, let others suggest times, (and sometimes places but that isn't easy with everywhere flooded), and whatnot and in the end either there's few responses on here and/or no one shows up. I know there's plenty of mers in the area. I also know not everyone can make it to this stuff, which is why I wish we'd all speak up more so we can get something organized so more mers can show up. No pressure to do anything. 2 mers is better than none, believe me, but even more is better! I get I come off as pushing people to go, but maybe you can understand me getting a bit flustered with this when I have basically been trying to get stuff to happen since last July and not much is happening.

AmbrGlows
08-13-2015, 01:34 PM
The only reasons I've not made it out is because in most of May & June my days off were Tuesday and Wednesday. And also because I'm in Plano so for me to go so far for a few hours swim is hard to justify spending so much on gas and entrance to a lake.

Trade Winds
08-13-2015, 05:17 PM
The only reasons I've not made it out is because in most of May & June my days off were Tuesday and Wednesday. And also because I'm in Plano so for me to go so far for a few hours swim is hard to justify spending so much on gas and entrance to a lake.

I would totally help you, or anyone, with gas or entrance fee if money is an issue.

Seriously, I am not trying to blame people for not showing up. Just ranting.

Does anyone wanna switch to next weekend for the swim?

We could do Starbucks too, but maybe choose a diff, bigger location. When me and Katyah got to Starbucks on Lamar last time they were PACKED. There's a lovely one outside the Northeast Mall in Hurst if anyone wants to try there.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-13-2015, 05:34 PM
I would totally help you, or anyone, with gas or entrance fee if money is an issue.

Seriously, I am not trying to blame people for not showing up. Just ranting.

Does anyone wanna switch to next weekend for the swim?

We could do Starbucks too, but maybe choose a diff, bigger location. When me and Katyah got to Starbucks on Lamar last time they were PACKED. There's a lovely one outside the Northeast Mall in Hurst if anyone wants to try there.

Oh yes yes pick that one! Northeast Mall is just down the road from my place! I would absolutely show up! It is next to a Michaels and a Pet(co? Smart? I don't recall.) for shopping for mermaid accessories (aquarium plants) too.

Trade Winds
08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Yes! That's the one. Pipeline, I think. I used to live in Hurst but I still mix up Precinct and Pipeline. Michael's, Smoothie King, Red Robin, etc. That big sucker right on mall property. I absolutely love it lol. It's been my go to place for tons of stuff.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
If anyone is having trouble finding time to go to our monthly meets, let's make another one in between! Does the first/last of the month sound good? I know that but everyone is comfortable with aquariums or burger joints but I think that either would be really fun and easy to find in Texas! Post your suggestions here and I'll decide by the 20th what we'll be doing. Let's try for either August 29th or September 5th (the latter will be the fallback if no one responds).

Mermaid Lunette
08-13-2015, 06:38 PM
i was actually really into your aquarium suggestion a little while back. i think i have been to it before and it is lovely <3 also, steak n shake.

august 29th or even sep 5th is cool with me :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-13-2015, 07:03 PM
i was actually really into your aquarium suggestion a little while back. i think i have been to it before and it is lovely <3 also, steak n shake.

august 29th or even sep 5th is cool with me :)

I desperately wanna go to the Dallas World Aquarium in mer makeup! Plus you never know where those connections can lead, they could like us being there and lead to possible gigs or charity work.

Oh there's a Steak N Shake down the road from me here in North Richland Hills, mmm salted caramel shakes...

I am good with the Starbucks day and good with either date on going out somewhere. Although I'll have to save up my clam shells to afford the Dallas Aquarium. It's a pricey place. The one in Grapevine Mall is about the same price too.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-13-2015, 07:53 PM
This is so exciting!! So far, I'm thinking August 29th may be best, actually! I remembered that September 5th is the Saturday when A-FEST! (Is anyone going to that, by the way)?

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
As much as I love anime, and I'm a cosplayer, I actually haven't been to A-fest or A-kon in years. Is it just me or has the price of cons gone up in the last few years? I sound so old saying that. :P I was thinking of going to the Supernatural con coming up in September but it is $75 for a DAY PASS. >.< Probly passing on that in favor of saving up for a weekend trip to TEXAS REN FAIRE! Lots of mers to meet there!

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-13-2015, 08:09 PM
*happy renfaire dance*

I work that one too (in a pirate shop, not as a mer) but still *excite*

My costume for All Hallow's Eve weekend is going to be extra fantastic.

/back on topic/

Burgers and mermeets sounds fun.
My tail should be arriving soon, so I may try to make this meet or the next before I am out of town again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lunette
08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
so maybe steak n shake (or some cheap burger joint) on august 29th then?

Trade Winds
08-14-2015, 10:54 AM
I am down with August 29, but can we get some vegan options up in here for us cruelty free folks? Steak n Shake, while I definitely enjoyed it during my prevegan days, probly only has fries (eh) and salad (super boring) as a vegan option. Spiral Diner is a super amazing place with a HUGE menu. It's in downtown Ft Worth next to other amusing places. http://www.spiraldiner.com/menu/ Or maybe Mellow Mushroom in Arlington? http://mellowmushroom.com/ Chipotle, even?

Mermaid_Katyah
08-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Sooo soorrrry for radio silence! Lots of school and work killing my time this month. The 29th is okay for me, I'll try not to be hung up with school projects.

I'll be volunteering and hosting panels at AnimeFest from Sept. 4-7.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 11:49 AM
That's so neat Katya! What kind of panels are you doing?

Mermaid_Katyah
08-14-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm running the "Morning Bending with Toph" that's scheduled for Sunday Morning and " Women in Gaming Industry" that's later that night. It's also my birthday con, so I'll be partying with the con buddies all four days! XD

Mermaid_Katyah
08-14-2015, 11:53 AM
I am down with August 29, but can we get some vegan options up in here for us cruelty free folks? Steak n Shake, while I definitely enjoyed it during my prevegan days, probly only has fries (eh) and salad (super boring) as a vegan option. Spiral Diner is a super amazing place with a HUGE menu. It's in downtown Ft Worth next to other amusing places. http://www.spiraldiner.com/menu/ Or maybe Mellow Mushroom in Arlington? http://mellowmushroom.com/ Chipotle, even?

Mellow Mushroom might be the better choice, location wise. Plus, they have that fried eggplant burger now, if I'm thinking of the right place.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Those both sound really great! I've wanted to do metal bender cosplay from Legend of Korra, probably Lin, but haven't had the time yet. Women in the gaming industry is a super important topic too, it's crazy how some of those women get treated just because they are female and make video games. :(

As for food, lets see...If we stick to the Northeast Mall area (I don't know how good that is for everyone, it is about 15-20 minutes from Arlington depending where you live. It's just an area I know and Mystery knows.) the food options are...

Red Robin and Five Guys for burgers. A Chipotle across the street and I think a Free Birds too? Also a Genghis Grill so you can just pick what you put in your bowl. Uh, a few asian food places. Plus the obvious Starbucks and also a yogurt place!

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 12:45 PM

I think the NE mall area seems to be the best area, so sadly, vegan places are scarce. You're welcome to join us and maybe eat before hand? But as I said before, if any mers are not comfortable, then there's a whole other monthly meet-up so that you don't have to feel left-out! I hope that helps! I really wish there were more vegan places in Texas, but they're pretty scarce, honestly. :<

Trade Winds
08-14-2015, 01:24 PM
I think the NE mall area seems to be the best area, so sadly, vegan places are scarce. You're welcome to join us and maybe eat before hand? But as I said before, if any mers are not comfortable, then there's a whole other monthly meet-up so that you don't have to feel left-out! I hope that helps! I really wish there were more vegan places in Texas, but they're pretty scarce, honestly. :<

I shouldn't have to be the uncomfortable one when people are chowing down on our animal friends and drinking the secretions (milk) that are built on suffering and murder. But that's the way the world is because people view animals as objects and commodities and not individuals. I would really encourage trying some vegan options. They're better for you and the environment, and don't involve any harm or death.

Smoothie King, Red Robin, and Chipotle all have vegan options. Genghis Grill apparently does as well but I have yet to go there. I am fine with Northeast mall.

Vegan places aren't really scarce. Ft Worth and Dallas have tons of strictly vegan places. Arlington has Loving Hut, an exclusively vegan restaurant. Thai Papaya Garden in Euless has a vegan buffet the first Sunday of every month.

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Since tensions are running high over /food/ why don't we temporarily turn the focus to swimming holes and perhaps pack lunches.

Then when more of us have met in person and are better acquainted, we could try food places again.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 01:37 PM
I shouldn't have to be the uncomfortable one when people are chowing down on our animal friends and drinking the secretions (milk) that are built on suffering and murder. But that's the way the world is because people view animals as objects and commodities and not individuals. I would really encourage trying some vegan options. They're better for you and the environment, and don't involve any harm or death.

Smoothie King, Red Robin, and Chipotle all have vegan options. Genghis Grill apparently does as well but I have yet to go there. I am fine with Northeast mall.

Vegan places aren't really scarce. Ft Worth and Dallas have tons of strictly vegan places. Arlington has Loving Hut, an exclusively vegan restaurant. Thai Papaya Garden in Euless has a vegan buffet the first Sunday of every month.

That's fine and we can go to one of those places that has vegan options, but you have to remember that not everyone shares your views. Please, let's just peacefully agree to meet someplace that most people want to eat. If your convictions don't permit you to go somewhere, we will not force you to go, but in order for these meet-ups to happen, we have to go with majority rules. I hope that makes sense, hon. There can still be a wet meet the Sunday following and that doesn't involve food so it should be easier on you. :)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 01:45 PM
There we go! We can go ahead and have the Saturday meet-up as planned and go to somewhere around the NE mall and then, we can go to the wet meet and get better acquainted for next time! Does that sound like a good compromise? :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 02:50 PM
YAY! I just got an email back from the NRH Centre Aquatics that says swim fins ARE allowed in the lap pools AND the regular pool! I didn't specify monofins yet, I figure that is step 2 and mermaid tails are step 3 but I see no reason a monofin wouldn't be allowed unless they just don't like the risk of your feet being together...Should I email them a picture of my monofin and ask if they are okay or just take it up there sometime and see?

It is a really nice indoor pool, I have wanted to try it for a while but I wanted to grow some confidence in my apartment pool first. I am very excited now!

I also texted my bestie and she may join us too! She gave my fin a try last time she was here and seemed to have a good time. YAY!

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
That is great news.
Thank you for researching that.

Trade Winds
08-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Can we get some secure dates and locations going on so I can update the main/first post?

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 03:29 PM
It's only been a day or two, SM. Remember? I said I would update it on the 20th when everyone had time to throw in their vote! So far, we have August 29th at the Red Robin by the NE mall for the dry meet. The Sunday after, I suppose the NRH Center.

I know you're impatient, but you're being a little pushy. I PMed you about it a day or two ago because I've had several mers express their discomfort with your planning methods. Please, give us some room to decide. If you're too pushy, no one's going to want to come. :<

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 03:34 PM
So, how many of us would have tails to swim in if we go to NRH Centre? I only have a monofin currently and since it seems like it's easier to find a unicorn than it is to find a pool that excepts tails I'd like to ease them into the idea. But if some mers only have tails then we'll have to come up with a game plan for asking if tails would be alright.

Just realized the irony of doubting finding a unicorn on a forum full of mermaids...

Mermaid Lunette
08-14-2015, 03:40 PM
It's only been a day or two, SM. Remember? I said I would update it on the 20th when everyone had time to throw in their vote! So far, we have August 29th at the Red Robin by the NE mall for the dry meet. The Sunday after, I suppose the NRH Center.

I know you're impatient, but you're being a little pushy. I PMed you about it a day or two ago because I've had several mers express their discomfort with your planning methods. Please, give us some room to decide. If you're too pushy, no one's going to want to come. :<

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 04:05 PM
By the way, here is a photo gallery of the NRH Centre if anyone wants to see! http://www.nrhcentre.com/gallery.aspx?AID=5

Fins are apparently not permitted in the "plunge pool" which is the deep water pool in front of their rock climbing wall...yes, rock climbing wall. o.o Other than that, we would have free reign so long as we are not "a safety hazard to others".

Just sent the email about monofins in specific...now obsessively checking my email for a reply. Tails I have no idea how to ask about...

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 04:10 PM
By the way, here is a photo gallery of the NRH Centre if anyone wants to see! http://www.nrhcentre.com/gallery.aspx?AID=5

Fins are apparently not permitted in the "plunge pool" which is the deep water pool in front of their rock climbing wall...yes, rock climbing wall. o.o Other than that, we would have free reign so long as we are not "a safety hazard to others".

Just sent the email about monofins in specific...now obsessively checking my email for a reply. Tails I have no idea how to ask about...

I would LOVE to swim there!! Thank you so much for doing the research, Koi. :) <3

Trade Winds
08-14-2015, 05:17 PM
I asked a question. That's it. I posted a rant and said I wasn't being pushy. Let's all calm down and stop reading between the lines.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I asked a question. That's it. I posted a rant and said I wasn't being pushy. Let's all calm down and stop reading between the lines.
Sweetie, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. You asked for us to finalize our plans a day after we started making them. That's really pushy. I know we all want these meet-ups to work, but we can't decide where to go without you having an issue with where we're eating or swimming. That's also very pushy. I'm sorry if you feel singled out, but no one's been responding because they don't feel they can suggest anything anymore. If we're going to have a meet-up, you're going to have to accept that we're not interested in going vegan and we like indoor pools. You can go and do whatever you like in the other meet-up in the middle of the month! That's perfectly okay and no one's going to make you do anything you don't want to do, but that's why we need a separate meet-up for us mers that aren't vegan and that love indoor swimming because we have sensitive skin. We also need time to allow for everyone to vote. Please, understand. I'm sorry to even mention this in the thread, but I tried to PM you asking if you needed help taking up the burden of planning since it seems to be stressing you out and you didn't respond. I hope you understand. It's seriously not personal, it's just that we have to go with majority rules and we have to take things slow if people are going to be comfortable with these meet-ups. :) <3

Mermaid Lunette
08-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Sweetie, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. You asked for us to finalize our plans a day after we started making them. That's really pushy. I know we all want these meet-ups to work, but we can't decide where to go without you having an issue with where we're eating or swimming. That's also very pushy. I'm sorry if you feel singled out, but no one's been responding because they don't feel they can suggest anything anymore. If we're going to have a meet-up, you're going to have to accept that we're not interested in going vegan and we like indoor pools. You can go and do whatever you like in the other meet-up in the middle of the month! That's perfectly okay and no one's going to make you do anything you don't want to do, but that's why we need a separate meet-up for us mers that aren't vegan and that love indoor swimming because we have sensitive skin. We also need time to allow for everyone to vote. Please, understand. I'm sorry to even mention this in the thread, but I tried to PM you asking if you needed help taking up the burden of planning since it seems to be stressing you out and you didn't respond. I hope you understand. It's seriously not personal, it's just that we have to go with majority rules and we have to take things slow if people are going to be comfortable with these meet-ups. :) <3

100% agree. very happy someone had the courage to say it

(i am 10000% to intimidated to post here because of this exact thing)

AmbrGlows
08-14-2015, 07:52 PM
I know it would be a drive for everyone and the pool is rather small but a sister property of the hotel I work at has an indoor pool. It is located at 635 and Preston Rd. Talking to the manager about us using the pool would be no trouble.

I know indoor pools are preferred but has anyone considered gathering at someone's apartment pool?

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Oh I swim in my apartment pool (usually around 7 so it's not too sunny) but I think we have a guest limit of one or two. It's not too big either. I never exactly "asked" them if I could swim with my monofin, they have seen me in it though and seem unphased. I think we'd have to find one without a limit or someone willing to risk it. >.>

That shouldn't be too terribly far for me, I think. It's always good to have more pools to swim in! Next month shouldn't be so hot for outdoor swimming...I'll probly still have to cover up from sunburns but that'll be fine.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I think indoor pools are our best bet simply because most apartment pools have very strict guest limits. :(
If there's one that doesn't, I'm all for it!!!

That was a great suggestion, though! I'd be willing to try any indoor pool that you guys suggest! My knowledge is very limited, sadly! I'd love to hear about more pools that I can swim in during this blistering Texas heat! :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 08:25 PM
Oh hey, just a thought, does anyone have a waterpoof/underwater camera to bring along to the swim meets? I've been thinking about buying one but haven't gotten around to it yet. May order an underwater case for my iphone...

Lotus the Mermaid
08-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Great idea!!! I have a waterproof cover from Andariele for my phone somewhere... I gotta find it. ^^;

AmbrGlows
08-14-2015, 09:41 PM
I have a waterproof camera if I can ever make it out to another meet-up.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 09:57 PM
I know you've said before, but what days are good for you?

Personally I'd welcome a swim meet during the week so we don't have to worry so much about the pool being too busy for our fins but I understand that doesn't work for everyone. The Sunday plan is also good, should be less busy I think.

AmbrGlows
08-14-2015, 10:05 PM
I know you've said before, but what days are good for you?

Personally I'd welcome a swim meet during the week so we don't have to worry so much about the pool being too busy for our fins but I understand that doesn't work for everyone. The Sunday plan is also good, should be less busy I think.

Sorry, I didn't remember I had mentioned it here before. Im a bit sleep deprived and overheated at the moment.

I'm off Fridays-Sunday. I normally use Friday as my adjustment day to go from day time sleeper to night time sleeper.

Weekends are good for me; it's the distance and gas money that don't always line up.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Oh I get it! I'm a night owl usually but I've been forced to have a "normal" schedule.

Do you live around that hotel? I dunno if anyone else is coming from that area to share rides. Or at least it may take people a meet up or two to be good with sharing rides with people. Most of the others seem to be around the Arlington area but that's just my assumption.

AmbrGlows
08-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Oh I get it! I'm a night owl usually but I've been forced to have a "normal" schedule.

Do you live around that hotel? I dunno if anyone else is coming from that area to share rides. Or at least it may take people a meet up or two to be good with sharing rides with people. Most of the others seem to be around the Arlington area but that's just my assumption.

It's tough sometimes but I enjoy the overnight shifts.

Yes, I'm about 20 minutes from that hotel and 5 minutes from the one I work at. I know that Mermaid Enora is over here in my area. She has the pretty pretty sequin tail.

It does seem most of the mermaids are in Arlington or Fort Worth. I don't mind and Arlington meet-up, Burger's Lake however has been just a bit too far away for me the last two months.

Mermaid_Katyah
08-15-2015, 03:56 AM
I go to the Art Institute in the Dallas area during the week. Most of my Saturday's are spent working on projects in the mornings, but if there's an evening meet, I wouldn't mind going. Kinda alternating with mermaiding and other hobbies too. XD

Mermaid_Katyah
08-15-2015, 03:58 AM
I also throw my vote in for Northeast Mall. Anyone coming from the Fort Worth area is totally welcome to carpool with me, if you're okay with that sort of thing.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
So I got an email back about monofins, she says they would be lap lane only...Which is still good, but not as good. I think given time and proving ourselves that could change. Especially if no one else is really in the pool at the time. I think it is all about building a relationship with the pool people so they trust us to not drown or hit anyone with our fins. :)

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Awesome!

Thanks again for calling and sharing this information.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Fantastic, Koi!!! Thank you again!! That's so true, I know that the receptionist at my gym loves mermaids and the others seriously don't care, so it all depends on the person. I bet when we get up there and they see how we swim, they seriously won't even care that we're mermaiding. :)

That sounds and looks like a fantastic place for a wet meet! And it looks like it's our number one choice so far since we have all the info lined up! If anyone else has any other suggestions or votes, feel free to voice them here! I'll be happy to call for info on a place if anyone needs me to!

Katyah, thank you for voting!! (^.^)

The deadline is still the 20th so far for votes and Ambr, I hope you and Enora can make it! :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Happy to help! I've been eager to test my fin in a deeper pool. I have to learn to swim with regular goggles and a nose clip though, their rules say "no face masks" :( I don't see why but eh...

I'm super excited for both meets and I'll be at both unless something unforseen happens.

AmbrGlows
08-16-2015, 01:44 PM
It looks like all the parks at Joe Pool are now open again except for Cedar Hill Park.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Just FYI, I posted a message in the Texas Pod group on Facebook inviting members around the area to throw in their votes as well!

Everyone has four more days to cast their vote! ヽ(^。^)丿

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-17-2015, 12:21 AM
You know what would be fun to do sometime? Not perhaps as an official meet but I think it would be fun to have a mermaid bra building party!

Perhaps we could each bring shells (or what have you) that will cover ourselves and one other building supply (netting, pearls, small shells) and share those? Just a thought that would be cost effective for all.

Sorry for the somewhat random, I was looking at mer tops on Pinterest and got excited.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-17-2015, 01:17 AM
That sounds like a really fun idea, Koi!! You know what? If you're interested, you can be in charge of planning that one! I'll help however you need! <3

Also, Pinterest is a very addictive place for me. Haha :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Oh, one more thing! The NRH Centre is $7 for residents and $10 for non residents in case anyone needs to plan for that.

Mermaid Enora
08-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Hey Y'all!
I've been absent a bit for a while, but I'm back now. I was in Europe for 3 weeks and got to visit Mermaid Isabel in Italy, but I'm ready to meet up again with some Texas Mers!!
My work schedule is quite full and then I have family and church events on most other days. That I made it to the March meet up was a complete fluke and might not happen again so easily.

Edit: I forgot, I have a go pro if I can make it to another meet I'll be sure to bring it along!!

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-18-2015, 03:14 PM
So far, we have August 29th at the Red Robin by the NE mall for the dry meet. The Sunday after, I suppose the NRH Center.

That's the current plan, we still have a few more days to vote! The more the merrier! I am excited to meet everyone!

OMG a gopro would be epic! I have been wanting to snag one off craigslist for a deal but I have to save a bit more.

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-18-2015, 04:24 PM
I too have a gopro.

My participation is contingent on the arrival of my tail.

Mermaid Enora
08-19-2015, 12:34 AM
I too have a gopro.

My participation is contingent on the arrival of my tail.

Oooohhhhh didn't know you had a gopro!
We could get some great videos with two gopros going at one time.
Shoot mers swimming at different angles.

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-19-2015, 12:35 AM
I have had it for about... nine months or so.

And have used it twice [emoji14]

Trade Winds
08-19-2015, 10:49 AM
It looks like all the parks at Joe Pool are now open again except for Cedar Hill Park.

Good lord, finally. That kills the Burger's Lake option. Idk when I'll be doing anything mermaid this month as I got some vegan and furry fandom stuff that comes first.

AmbrGlows
08-19-2015, 10:52 AM
I have a friend that lives down the road from Lynn Creek. She said it's gonna be hella crazy when it is opened back up.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-19-2015, 02:29 PM
All right, everyone! The deadline is tomorrow for votes on our meet locations August 29th and 30th! If you have any other suggestions or if you haven't cast your vote yet, please feel free to do so here! (^.^)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Okay, mers! Looks like our plans have solidified and they are...
Dry Meet
Time: Saturday, August 29th at 7 p.m.
Address: Red Robin, The Shops At NorthEast Mall, 820 N E Mall Blvd, Hurst, TX 76053

Wet Meet
Time: Sunday, August 30th at 3 p.m.
Address:6000 Hawk Ave, North Richland Hills, TX 76180
*Note that there is a $7 fee for residents and a $10 fee for nonresidents.

Hope to see you all there!!! (*^▽^*)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-20-2015, 04:46 PM
YAY!!! Are we gonna meet up outside Red Robin orrrr....? I have no idea what most of you look like to find you in a restaurant. Lol.

"I am looking for the table of mermaids?" :P

Lotus the Mermaid
08-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Great question!!
We can meet up outside while they're getting a table ready! I'm sure it'll need to be kinda big, so that should give us time to meet up. If we need a sign or something, I don't mind looking like a goober for the sake of the group. xD

Another way to get better acquainted is, if everyone is comfortable using FB as a form of communication, I can organize an event on there, as well, and everyone can join and get better acquainted as our human selves! If you haven't already added me, my name is Ashley Rodriguez (I don't mind sharing it here).~

You can also message me on there and get my cell number if you need it just in case!

Lotus the Mermaid
08-20-2015, 06:28 PM
If you're not in the FB Pod of Texas group, here are the links to the two events!! :D

DFW Dry Meet-Up! (https://www.facebook.com/events/483344975180690/)

DFW Wet Meet-Up! (https://www.facebook.com/events/795229327256305/)

I hope this helps~! <3

Trade Winds
08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
YAY!!! Are we gonna meet up outside Red Robin orrrr....? I have no idea what most of you look like to find you in a restaurant. Lol.

"I am looking for the table of mermaids?" :P

My advice is wear something mermaid. Any jewelry, hair clips, clothes. I have a black Ariel shirt I wear to mermaid stuff. Dead giveaway. Also trade phone numbers if you're comfortable with it. Everyone can just PM each other. It's how I did it before w/ the last Starbux meet.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Just in case, I'll have a sign near me that says "DFW Meet." I hope that helps! :)

Aysun_the_Mermaid
08-21-2015, 03:11 PM
The mer-accessory/shirt idea is great.
I, for one, certainly have a fair amount of mermaid shirts.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 03:38 PM
I can try to find something mer related. I have my shark earrings, but I honestly don't buy clothes that often. :<
I may stop by Hot Topic to pick up an Ariel shirt.

Thankfully, most of us are on FB and can see what everyone looks like, but I don't mind getting a shirt or dress if it helps! (^.^)

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Commented to my boyfriend on the subject, he asked "Why don't you just tell the hostess to put it under 'Lotus' or something? Like whoever gets there first says you have a big party for Lotus." That would work.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Perfect! We'll do that!! Thank you, Koi and Koi's bf!! (^.^)

So that's the plan! I'll show up early and make the reservation under the name "Lotus." Like a code. Lol :B

Merman Lir
08-21-2015, 04:29 PM
If you're not in the FB Pod of Texas group, here are the links to the two events!! :D

DFW Dry Meet-Up! (https://www.facebook.com/events/483344975180690/)

DFW Wet Meet-Up! (https://www.facebook.com/events/795229327256305/)

I hope this helps~! <3

I think these links only work if you are in the FB group :(

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 04:41 PM
I think these links only work if you are in the FB group :(

Oh no, I set them to private just as a precaution!
I'm counting RSVPs here, as well, so you will most certainly be on the reservation if you'd like to join! (^.^)

Mermaid Enora
08-21-2015, 04:42 PM
I've got tons of mermaid and fairy shirts I really wish I could come to the meet up but I work Saturdays and there's no way I can get off this month. :(

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 04:48 PM
I've got tons of mermaid and fairy shirts I really wish I could come to the meet up but I work Saturdays and there's no way I can get off this month. :(

You can still come to the wet meet on the 30th if you want! It's gonna be on a Sunday! But no pressure! ^^

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Lol Lotus beat me to my post.

Are you coming to the swim meet too Lotus? I know you don't have your tail yet.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Well there is the Sunday swim meet too! Fairy stuff I got...mermaid stuff, not yet. Probly gonna do my makeup somehow mermaidy.

Same! I have loads of geeky clothes, but nothing mermaidy yet! I need to fix that soon!

Mermaid Enora
08-21-2015, 05:06 PM
You can still come to the wet meet on the 30th if you want! It's gonna be on a Sunday! But no pressure! ^^
Not sure but probably not Sundays are quite busy for me.
Ive got stuff coming up Labor Day that requires a new costume and I'm getting behind on making it since I just got back from out of town.
id also have to find out if my mertender is available and idk her schedule.

Merman Lir
08-21-2015, 05:48 PM
I'd love to, especially the swimming meets, but I can't this time.

Mermaid_Katyah
08-26-2015, 01:18 AM
I can't make the dry meet this time, but, hopefully, I will be at the wet meet!

Lotus the Mermaid
08-26-2015, 04:05 AM
You shall be missed, Merman Lir and that sounds like a lot, Mermaid Enora!!! I hope you can come, but no pressure! There's always next month! (^.^)

Mermaid Katyah, that seems like it's going to be a pretty good size! I hope you can make it there, as well!! o(^▽^)o

Lotus the Mermaid
08-28-2015, 03:22 AM
A_Koi_Mermaid, I'm so sorry I just saw your message! I'll definitely be at both meets with or without a tail! I'd love to meet more mers and get to swim with everyone!
^-^

And whoo! It's official! The dry meet is TOMORROW (Saturday)!

Please, let me know if your RSVP has changed so I can have a proper headcount for Red Robin!
So far, including FB, I believe we've got about 5 people definitely going. I'm going to send a message to the event goers and let them know I need a headcount from the Maybes before Saturday night if possible!

See you there! :yay: <3

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-28-2015, 09:44 AM
That's okay! It was an edit since we said the same thing. I'm so excited to meet everyone!

I am hoping my sinus saver nose plug gets here in time...I had two day shipping on it but nooo, it didn't show up yesterday. Then I have to worry about it fitting.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-28-2015, 06:37 PM
That's okay! It was an edit since we said the same thing. I'm so excited to meet everyone!

I am hoping my sinus saver nose plug gets here in time...I had two day shipping on it but nooo, it didn't show up yesterday. Then I have to worry about it fitting.

YAY! I am, too!! :D

That's so frustrating! I really hope it gets to you in time, too! I shall say a prayer!

ShyKaiju
08-28-2015, 11:14 PM
I really want to make the dry meet
So I guess tentatively put me down for tomorrow :>
I should be able to come~

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 05:37 AM
I really want to make the dry meet
So I guess tentatively put me down for tomorrow :>
I should be able to come~

Sweet!!! Then, we'll certainly have a seat waiting for you!! (^.^)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 05:12 PM
The number of people joining us tonight has spiked from 5 to about 10! I'll be getting that many seats to be safe!

Please, remember that the table will be under the name "Lotus"!!

I can't wait to see all of your beautiful faces! See ya there! :D

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Oh wow that's more than expected! Do you have me included with a plus one? I think I mentioned my bestie is coming but I may have only said it as a maybe.

By the way to anyone, there is a Michaels in the same parking lot with lots of netting and shells (including Lion's Paws) that is open till 9 if we wanna go mermaid shopping! :)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Oh wow that's more than expected! Do you have me included with a plus one? I think I mentioned my bestie is coming but I may have only said it as a maybe.

By the way to anyone, there is a Michaels in the same parking lot with lots of netting and shells (including Lion's Paws) that is open till 9 if we wanna go mermaid shopping! :)

Great idea, Koi!!
I have you and your bestie on the list!

In total, we have about 11-13 RSVP'd for tonight so I'm going to call ahead so they can be ready for us. <3

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 06:23 PM
For tomorrow's wet meet at 3pm at NRH Centre:

In case anyone was wondering, they DO allow mermaid tails at the NRH Centre! I just called to double check! :)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Reservations have been made!

In case you need to find the table, I'll be there early and here's what I'll be wearing tonight! See you there!
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u604/XxBasyaxX/20150829_164725_zpsdjfvksfq.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/XxBasyaxX/media/20150829_164725_zpsdjfvksfq.jpg.html)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-29-2015, 11:52 PM
That was SUCH A FUN MEET!!! Thanks to everyone who came!!! :dance:

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Mermaid Lunette
08-29-2015, 11:57 PM
really looking forward to it! i was only able to find a few peeps on facebook in order to send a friend request but couldn't find everybody :'(

i am alyssa mcgaugh on facebook ^^ (if u have lotus added already then i am on her friend's list too.)

Lotus the Mermaid
08-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Another successful meet!! Thanks to everyone who came out and I can't wait for the next one! Our total headcount for the dry meet was 12, and for the wet meet was 10! So awesome!!

We'll have the next meet around the same time!

Message me if you have any suggestions, questions, or comments! I may be able to get part of the NRH Centre reserved for next time! :D <3

Love,
Lotus <3

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-31-2015, 01:16 AM
Had a great time today! Super worn out from all that swimming! Definitely gonna eat a big breakfast next time. :P It's nice to meet people to talk tails with. Hopefully I'll at least have one started by next month. Although a month seems like a long time not to swim in that deep pool, my five foot apartment pool seems shallow now!

Mermaid Enora
08-31-2015, 04:53 AM
so if anyone's interested in doing a sort of picnic and waist up photo shoot I have a lovely spot near my house?
its a pond with a waterfall and nice clear clean water. Lots of scenic picnic spaces near the top of the waterfall. It's about 4 ft deep at most and if we can get to it after a rain the waterfall will really be gushing.

Lotus the Mermaid
08-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Koi, I know right!? I can't wait to go back to that wonderfully deep pool!! And that hot tub, as well! (*^▽^*)

Enora, that sounds so fantastic! We'll go ahead and make that the first candidate for our next wet meet! Kaiju mentioned a tail making party as a possibility for our next dry meet!

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-31-2015, 11:12 AM
As a koi mer, I have been dreaaaaming of a clear pond for photos. (I didn't know Hannah was a koi too until I saw her tail!) Especially since I saw the Merbella koi tail photoshoot one day. Serious mer goals there.

I thought it was Kaiju that suggested that! I'd love build days in general, lets us pool resources and share ideas and things we know will and wont work. I haven't even begun to build...I can't find plastic lily pads (without the lotus flowers attached) or any shops that sell neoprene local. Have to order some when the time is right.

PearlieMae
08-31-2015, 11:37 AM
I have to say, I am SO jellyfish! :jelly:

Mermaid Enora
08-31-2015, 12:18 PM
As a koi mer, I have been dreaaaaming of a clear pond for photos. (I didn't know Hannah was a koi too until I saw her tail!) Especially since I saw the Merbella koi tail photoshoot one day. Serious mer goals there.

I thought it was Kaiju that suggested that! I'd love build days in general, lets us pool resources and share ideas and things we know will and wont work. I haven't even begun to build...I can't find plastic lily pads (without the lotus flowers attached) or any shops that sell neoprene local. Have to order some when the time is right.

I've seen some lily pads at michaels, but none with lotus glowers.
you might be able to attach some flowers to the lily pads.

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I've seen some lily pads at michaels, but none with lotus glowers.
you might be able to attach some flowers to the lily pads.

Oh no I WANT them without the lotus flowers. Most I have seen have the flowers attached. I'd like to add some flowers around the top somewhere, but not sticking out of the middle of the lily pads I plan on putting on the cups like the ones I have seen! :P I will have to check our Michaels more thoroughly cuz I didn't see them last time.

Merman Lir
08-31-2015, 12:26 PM
could you get the ones with the flowers and then remove the flowers?

any mermen at the wet meets?

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-31-2015, 12:28 PM

It would leave a hole where the flower was unfortunately.

Yeah, there was at least one I think. He didn't have a monofin yet though. He was in the market for one.

Mermaid Lunette
08-31-2015, 06:04 PM

there were two at least ^^ scotty and my husband (i say my husband because he is a new mer still figuring out his mer name and tail design) ^---^

A_Koi_Mermaid
08-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Oh yes! How could I forget that big monofin? Is it a competitor?

Mermaid Lunette
08-31-2015, 06:25 PM
yes, it is not his though, he was using one that was brought to the meet ^^ he looked really natural in the water though, he says he wants a foil of something smaller because he would take manevering over speed ^_^

we had so much fun at the meet <3 we actually went as part of our 2 year wedding anniversary!

Mermaid Enora
08-31-2015, 11:50 PM
A Koi Mermaid, I was at Michaels just today and the store at 15th and alma still has lilly pads with NO flowers!
Go get some before they totally switch to fall.

Trade Winds
09-01-2015, 01:49 PM
so if anyone's interested in doing a sort of picnic and waist up photo shoot I have a lovely spot near my house?
its a pond with a waterfall and nice clear clean water. Lots of scenic picnic spaces near the top of the waterfall. It's about 4 ft deep at most and if we can get to it after a rain the waterfall will really be gushing.

That'd be great! Me and Mary want to go to Fair Park at some point and do a photoshoot there (once Mary's muddy tail is done anyway) if anyone is down for there too.

cletusk20
09-01-2015, 02:17 PM
One of these days I'm going to try to make it to one of these meets. Just seem to either be broke and can't afford to drive 4 hours one way or so covered in work I can't get off.

Merman Lir
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
when's the next meet (especially wet meet?) Hopefully I will be free.

Lotus the Mermaid
09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
when's the next meet (especially wet meet?) Hopefully I will be free.

Let's go ahead and shoot for the last weekend of every month if everyone's cool with it!

That would make the next dry meet Saturday the 26th and the next wet meet Sunday the 27th! :)

Mermaid Enora
09-02-2015, 12:51 AM
we'll need to do the picnic around 3pm to 6pm before it gets dark. We can do photos first and then eat.
I have some mermaid water props that I can bring too!

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-02-2015, 01:08 AM
It sounds a lot of fun! I know most of us don't have tails built yet, I don't have a bra or accessories built quite yet but I can whip things up pretty quick. I dunno about others. When are we thinking of doing this? :)

Lotus the Mermaid
09-02-2015, 01:54 AM
It sounds a lot of fun! I know most of us don't have tails built yet, I don't have a bra or accessories built quite yet but I can whip things up pretty quick. I dunno about others. When are we thinking of doing this? :)

If it's okay with Mermaid Enora, we can do that for our next wet meet on the 27th! If that time works for everyone, that is!!

Mermaid Enora
09-03-2015, 01:21 AM
If it's okay with Mermaid Enora, we can do that for our next wet meet on the 27th! If that time works for everyone, that is!!
Oh yes that sounds fine. I should be able to make it to that.
The pond is in Richardson on Lookout Dr.
If you google lookout waterfall you should be able to see what it looks like.
Its a really cool photo op place where lots of people go for photos.

Mermaid Enora
09-03-2015, 01:23 AM
My profile pic is taken at lookout waterfall.

Lotus the Mermaid
09-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Wow! It's gorgeous!!

I'll see if I can borrow a friend's pro camera by then if no one else owns one, or maybe ask one of my photog friends to join! :)

Mermaid Enora
09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Wow! It's gorgeous!!

I'll see if I can borrow a friend's pro camera by then if no one else owns one, or maybe ask one of my photog friends to join! :)
That'd be great! I was wondering how we might get a group picture

Merman Lir
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Do we need to get anyone's permission to meet, hang out, and do photos there? I really need in tail photos... (also, I work in Richardson)

Mermaid Enora
09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Oh no it's a public area anyone can go any time.
Its never very crowded though.
Also there's some small fish in the pond.

ShyKaiju
09-04-2015, 04:24 AM
Hey guys, I was browsing around for indoor pools.
I found that you can rent out the Hugh Smith Indoor Pool in Arlington for $135 for two hours up to 40 people!. That would be roughly $14 for 10 people, and less if even more people show up :D
I can call and ask them about monofins if they haven't been asked already, but if we rent it privately, They might allow it.

http://naturallyfun.org/pools/hugh-smith-indoor-pool#about

Sorry if this place has already been considered lol

Merman Lir
09-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I found that you can rent out the Hugh Smith Indoor Pool in Arlington for $135 for two hours up to 40 people!. That would be roughly $14 for 10 people, and less if even more people show up :D
I can call and ask them about monofins if they haven't been asked already, but if we rent it privately, They might allow it.

I'd be up for that!

Lotus the Mermaid
09-04-2015, 01:11 PM

That sounds fantastic, Kaiju! Yeah, go for it and let us know if they'll let us mermaid in there! Thank you so much! :D

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Seems we have a lot of awesome options for our wet meet, does anyone have anything for our dry meet? If we do food I'd like to suggest sushi! It is sorta mermaid themed and it has veggie rolls for those who want them, it isn't everyones cup of tea but lots of places have stuff besides sushi.

If we do a build day I'm not sure where we'd hold it, as an apartment dweller I don't have that kind of space! Any suggestions?

Mermaid Enora
09-04-2015, 03:35 PM
There's a few mermaid themed restaurants in the Dallas area if we ever want to try them.
Theres the shark bar in willow bend mall next to an indoor surfing store which is really fun!!
I've tried it a few times and it's fun and a great work out.

Also there's the mermaid bar and restaurant inside the Neiman Marcus at north park mall. I think it's kinda pricey but it's really cute maybe we could go and split something between us. There's also a makeup forever and a MAC in the mall we could have a makeup try out trip! and there's a fun billabong shop there too.
Oooohhh we should do that in October cause my sister will have some art on display at north park then.

ShyKaiju
09-04-2015, 03:46 PM
I can possibly host a build day at the beginning of october, so it probably wouldn't be /the/ dry meet of october.
We have a spacious living room that we can work on stuff in, along with a giant tv so we can watch movies or shows while we work :>

My main concern is that I live out in Midlothian, close to Scarborough Faire, and I know for some people that might be quite a drive! :x

As for sushi, I'm 500% OK with that :D

Merman Lir
09-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Let's go ahead and shoot for the last weekend of every month if everyone's cool with it!

That would make the next dry meet Saturday the 26th and the next wet meet Sunday the 27th! :)

are we still set on the dates? could someone confirm places and times?

I am not sure about the 26th but might could do the 27th, I know that I have a birthday party gig (as Prince Eric to Mermaid Kelly's Ariel) from 3 to 5 that day in Plano

Lotus the Mermaid
09-11-2015, 10:39 PM
are we still set on the dates? could someone confirm places and times?

I am not sure about the 26th but might could do the 27th, I know that I have a birthday party gig (as Prince Eric to Mermaid Kelly's Ariel) from 3 to 5 that day in Plano
Yes, to the dates! The places are still up for debate! I know that sushi seems to be the most popular suggestion for the dry meet. The question now is which sushi place? Everyone has their favorites!

We can save the North Park area for the meet after this one so that there will be some amazing art on display, courtesy of Enora's sister! I love that idea if everyone else is game! Shopping and art gazing. The mermaid bar is also a valid option, if it gets enough votes!

And the wet meet sounds like it's going to be with Mermaid Enora at that sweet waterfall setting so we can get a sort of photoshoot going! Tails not required, but encouraged if you've got 'em! That should be really fun! I'll try to finish my shell top by then! <3

I'll go ahead and tally up the votes and post the definite locations and times by the 20th again, to give people time to vote and suggest, and also time to prepare for the trips that weekend! I can't wait! :dance:

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-11-2015, 11:12 PM
I am fairly new to sushi so I haven't tried many places myself so if anyone has a tried and true place I'm game. I know of a few places we can look into if not. Sushi can be pretty pricey so I've been googling around to find places near me that are good but not super high priced myself anyway.

I probably can't build a top by then, just with cash restraints right now, but I'd be happy to come swim and help with whatever I can.

AmbrGlows
09-11-2015, 11:35 PM
I am fairly new to sushi so I haven't tried many places myself so if anyone has a tried and true place I'm game. I know of a few places we can look into if not. Sushi can be pretty pricey so I've been googling around to find places near me that are good but not super high priced myself anyway.

I probably can't build a top by then, just with cash restraints right now, but I'd be happy to come swim and help with whatever I can.

Edohana sushi 🍣 places are normally pretty good.

Mermaid Enora
09-12-2015, 01:05 AM

Just bring any swim suit or swim suit top and it will look fine if you sink down in the water.

AmbrGlows
09-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Lake Grapevine is open again if we wanna do a meet at the lake. Sand Bass Point has some covered picnic tables bear the beach. I'm not sure about bathroom facilities. I know there is a park and soccer fields just up the road with bathrooms. I'll look to see if you can access the lake from there too.

MermaidKinsie
09-13-2015, 10:42 PM
This sounds lovely! I do know I could come in Saturday (26th) and stay for the morning Sunday (27th), but I have to come back for 8am classes Monday morning so I'd have to leave by at least 2-ish :/

Mermaid Lunette
09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
out of the wet meet options so far which places are actually swimmable? i thought someone said one of the spots is more of a picture place then a swim place?

Mermaid Enora
09-13-2015, 11:15 PM
out of the wet meet options so far which places are actually swimmable? i thought someone said one of the spots is more of a picture place then a swim place?
The lookout waterfall is the photo spot although if it rains ahead of time it can be swimmable.

MermaidKinsie
09-14-2015, 12:02 AM
So this might be redundant, but the meet/s are generally taking place in the Plano/Richardson area, right? I'm trying to find a place to stay at the moment so I was wondering.

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Most of the mers are from Arlington area, our last meets were both in NRH. As far as I know that is a ways from Plano area.

Well after a swim in our apartment pool I can safely say if it doesn't warm up swimming outdoors may be chilly.

Mermaid Enora
09-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Most of the mers are from Arlington area, our last meets were both in NRH. As far as I know that is a ways from Plano area.

Well after a swim in our apartment pool I can safely say if it doesn't warm up swimming outdoors may be chilly.
Yes most meets are in the mid cities area.
and it will be getting cooler, that's why we're doing the pond photo shoot in sept. before it gets really chilly.

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
So it sounds like the photoshoot isn't a place we can actually swim. (i could be interpreting that wrong.) Maybe the photoshoot should be our dry meet and have a wet meet at an indoor pool? I only say indoor because my apartment pool was chilly the other day, if it stays warm it should be fine outdoors.

Mermaid Lunette
09-15-2015, 08:11 PM
So it sounds like the photoshoot isn't a place we can actually swim. (i could be interpreting that wrong.) Maybe the photoshoot should be our dry meet and have a wet meet at an indoor pool? I only say indoor because my apartment pool was chilly the other day, if it stays warm it should be fine outdoors.

i second this!

if we are having a wet meet i would really prefer it be somewhere we can for sure swim.

MermaidKinsie
09-15-2015, 08:20 PM
I agree as well. ShyKaiju had a pretty good idea; is that still up for consideration?

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Well we don't have that many people yet so we can't rent it all out but we can always try that pool or go back to NRH Centre. I have some other pools I'd like to email too eventually.

Mermaid Enora
09-16-2015, 01:22 AM
i second this!

if we are having a wet meet i would really prefer it be somewhere we can for sure swim.

That's fine, but if we do it as a dry meet could it still be on a sunday. If its a saturday I can't come at all due to work. :(

Lotus the Mermaid
09-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Maybe we could switch the dry and wet meets so the wet meet is on Saturday this time (the 26th) and the dry meet is on Sunday (the 27th) so that Mermaid Enora could host it and show us the ropes? :)

Lotus the Mermaid
09-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Okay, it's that time when the meet is a week away and the decisions must be finalized! It looks like we had as much interest in going to sushi as we did in doing the photoshoot, so we can make the wet meet a combination (and there's no obligation to go to both that day) since the pool is in Arlington, and I know of a sushi place in Arlington that's very good so we wouldn't need to rush.

Sushi for lunch at around 1pm on Saturday! The sushi place here in Arlington that's really good is called Sushi Yaa off of Cooper, then we can head to Hugh Smith pool!

If having lunch and a swim in the same day ends up being too complicated, we can pick just one this week (I'll need at least a few definite votes to go on if you guys don't mind!), but those are the two main options so far! If no one has any objections, that can be our plan for Saturday at 1pm on the 26th as long as everyone's cool with it!

***To vote, either comment saying "sushi next time" or "sushi yaaaaaah"! We will end up doing both eventually, so if the majority of people prefer for us to do just one of the two this time, there won't be any hard feelings!***

For reserving the pool, ShyKaiju, I can call sometime this week and reserve it ahead of time for Saturday (the 26th, let's say about 3pm), and everyone that's going can just bring cash to reimburse me when they show up that day. I'll make the event tonight so I'll be able to get an idea of how many people are going, and therefore how much everyone will need to bring so you guys can plan in advance! Thank you so much for the location! <3

EDIT: For the dry meet, we can meet Enora for the photoshoot at 1pm on Sunday (the 27th). Those interested in going to the photoshoot, please remember to bring any props you'd like to take photos with!

Okay, so here are the plans so far...

Wet Meet:
Part One
Time: Saturday, September 26th at 1pm
Location: Sushi Yaa (or another sushi location) in Arlington, TX, off of Cooper St.
Part Two
Time: Saturday, September 26th at 3pm

Dry Meet:
Time: Sunday, September 27th at 1pm
Location: Lookout Waterfall in Richardson, TX near Lookout Drive

Can't wait to see all of you lovely mers there! :)

Mermaid Enora
09-21-2015, 01:06 AM
One slight change to the time on Sunday. If possible we should try to do it closer to 1pm when the sun is brightest. The pond is kinda down in a ravine a bit and I'm worried that as the sun moves to a lower position we might not have enough light for the best photos. Also, I'm going to go check the water level in the pond tomorrow. The rain on Saturday should have helped it considerably.

Also some better directions:
Lookout road dead ends into Floyd street right by UT Dallas. The other end of lookout road dead ends into a parking space for the waterfall/pond. You will want to be at the east end of Lookout Dr. Once you park walk north and the pond will be down a small ravine to the right across a small field.

If you don't like the feeling of wet silt between your toes, bring some water shoes. The best photo spots are in the water. Also, consider bringing dark leggings to wear to disguise your legs. Some of my photos from before show my pasty white legs through the water.

Mermaid Enora
09-21-2015, 01:10 AM
https://instagram.com/p/70t-fiyrh4/
This photo from my instagram was taken at lookout waterfall.

ShyKaiju
09-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Aah thank you. I've been really busy with a new job, so I totally forgot to call!

As to the Sushi Question:

https://youtu.be/yHEs5k7nGZc

Lotus the Mermaid
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM
Enora, That works! I'll edit my post to include the new time of 1pm and I'll make sure the event reflects that! If you don't mind, I'll quote you in the event as well, with the directions!!

ShyKaiju, YES! I LOVE IT! XD

Lotus the Mermaid
09-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Here are the links to the two events on FB! I made sure they're Public this time for your convenience!!

For the Wet Meet, click this nifty banner!
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u604/XxBasyaxX/WetMeet3_zpsj5p37byo.png (https://www.facebook.com/events/974370389303440/)

And for the Dry Meet, click this one!
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u604/XxBasyaxX/DryMeet2_zpsjwgih8zs.png (https://www.facebook.com/events/835126639938146/)

Lotus the Mermaid
09-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Hey, quick update on the Wet Meet!!!

So far, only a few mers are going to be joining us, according to the event on FB (I believe everyone that's responded here for this event has access to the event on FB so hopefully, I'm counting correctly)! If we don't get at least ten, it may be too expensive to reserve Hugh Smith, so I'll wait until Wednesday to reserve it in advance! Just thought I should let you guys know!

But of course, that means we'll need a Plan B!
So how's this: if we don't have at least ten people joining us by Wednesday, is everyone all right with going back to NRH since most of us have been before and know how to get there, or should we just go to Hugh Smith anyway without reserving the pool and hope it's not crowded? I'll let you guys vote on it and I'll update the event Wednesday accordingly!

Thanks, everybody!! :) <3

Mermaid Lunette
09-22-2015, 02:36 AM
i vote NRH! looooooove that deep pool <3

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I am really good with that since $14 after spending $11 on sushi at sushi yaa was too rich for my blood right now anyway. I was gonna just eat and come home. I just hadn't posted that yet.

Mermaid_Katyah
09-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I'll be at the Sunday meet for sure!

MermaidKinsie
09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, that is true...I vote NRH is okay then.

Lotus the Mermaid
09-23-2015, 02:22 AM
All right, fantastic! NRH it is, then. I'll go ahead and change the banner and the event. :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Alright so just to add an option, a Sushi Yaa JUST opened in NRH. Like this week or so. I couldn't find the address anywhere except on yelp.

Sushiyaa 6305 Precinct Line Rd, North Richland Hills, TX

It is right by NRH Centre if anyone would prefer.

Lotus the Mermaid
09-24-2015, 05:48 AM
Alright so just to add an option, a Sushi Yaa JUST opened in NRH. Like this week or so. I couldn't find the address anywhere except on yelp.

Sushiyaa 6305 Precinct Line Rd, North Richland Hills, TX

It is right by NRH Centre if anyone would prefer.

That's amazing! What a blessing! Thank you, Koi!!

I suppose it wouldn't make too much of a difference as long as most of us live close enough to the Arlington location! So it just depends on what everyone prefers for convenience! (*^▽^*)

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-25-2015, 11:06 PM
I think we're gonna try out the Sushi Yaa here, just because we live here in NRH and we'd have to drive to Arlington and back and I have to study as much as I can in the morning for a new job. We'll be at the swim meet though! If it's more convenient for anyone they are welcome to join us!

Aysun_the_Mermaid
09-25-2015, 11:13 PM
I realize I am not going to this meet, so my opinion does not count, but it kind of makes sense to eat at the one nearer the swimming location so that after you meet up and eat, it is closer than eating in one town and then driving to the next.

Or for someone who lives in neither NRH or Arlington to not be driving to two towns.

A_Koi_Mermaid
09-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Yeah, that's on me though. I didn't think the one here was even open yet. I only found out about it on Wednesday and Lotus had already made the Facebook group and had people coming. I understand that most of the mers here live in Arlington area so it's fairly convenient for them.

MermaidKinsie
09-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Do you think we'll be doing photos at the next meetup at all? I might not be able to come after all :(

Lotus the Mermaid
09-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's on me though. I didn't think the one here was even open yet. I only found out about it on Wednesday and Lotus had already made the Facebook group and had people coming. I understand that most of the mers here live in Arlington area so it's fairly convenient for them.

I'm so sorry about that! It would have been so convenient, but it felt late to change the sushi location! I'm so glad you're so sweet and understanding! I didn't mean to leave out our NRH mers!!! (T▽T) i'm glad you found the one you did, though!!! Maybe we can try that one next time!!

We'll see you all at the pool really soon!!! :'> <3

Lotus the Mermaid
09-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Thank you guys for coming to the wet meet! It was SO much fun! We had a good turn-out, too, even though sadly not all of us could be there! Seven people showed up total! Thanks, Lunette, for counting!

I was wondering if we could make the NRH Centre our official wet meet place until/unless anyone else has any other suggestions? It might make planning easier if we know it's going to be the last Saturday of every month and in the same place unless stated otherwise!

It's just a perfect place to practice mermaiding. There are usually lots of kids there (which can be burdensome in the deeper pool area, I know), but that allows for some great practice interacting with kids in our mermaid tails! They all flocked around Mermaid Andariele who was wearing an emerald green FinFun tail, and nearly every one of them believed she was a real mermaid! Heck, most of them believed that the rest of us mermaids in our monofins were the real thing!

The deeper pool area, which was closed this time, is also a wonderful area to practice staying afloat and diving, as well as multiple other tricks!

And the Centre also has lanes for the option of doing mermaid races and just plain getting in shape!

Not to mention their AMAZING saltwater hot tub which I can't get enough of!

Anyway, it's just a suggestion, and there's absolutely no pressure one way or the other. Let me know what you guys think! (^-^)

Mermaid Enora
09-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Thank you guys for coming to the wet meet! It was SO much fun! We had a good turn-out, too, even though sadly not all of us could be there! Seven people showed up total! Thanks, Lunette, for counting!

I was wondering if we could make the NRH Centre our official wet meet place until/unless anyone else has any other suggestions? It might make planning easier if we know it's going to be the last Saturday of every month and in the same place unless stated otherwise!

It's just a perfect place to practice mermaiding. There are usually lots of kids there (which can be burdensome in the deeper pool area, I know), but that allows for some great practice interacting with kids in our mermaid tails! They all flocked around Mermaid Andariele who was wearing an emerald green FinFun tail, and nearly every one of them believed she was a real mermaid! Heck, most of them believed that the rest of us mermaids in our monofins were the real thing!

The deeper pool area, which was closed this time, is also a wonderful area to practice staying afloat and diving, as well as multiple other tricks!

And the Centre also has lanes for the option of doing mermaid races and just plain getting in shape!

Not to mention their AMAZING saltwater hot tub which I can't get enough of!

Anyway, it's just a suggestion, and there's absolutely no pressure one way or the other. Let me know what you guys think! (^-^)

I like like the idea of a set time and place!

Mermaid Lunette
09-26-2015, 11:43 PM
i vote nrh set times!!

Lotus the Mermaid
10-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I think it's safe to say that our official wet meeting place is henceforth going to be the NRH Centre! <3

Mermaid Lunette
10-06-2015, 07:20 PM
wooooooot!!!!!!! i really like that place :)

A_Koi_Mermaid
10-18-2015, 10:54 PM
So are we planning on doing this this coming weekend? I think we talked about eating after this time? So somewhere in NRH?

Lotus the Mermaid
10-18-2015, 11:40 PM
So are we planning on doing this this coming weekend? I think we talked about eating after this time? So somewhere in NRH?

We certainly can! I won'the be able to this Saturday because I'm hosting a Disney themed Murder Mystery party at my house. You're all invited, of course! It's a costume party. But yeah, that always takes all day because of set-up and line run-through and last-minute costume checks. ^^;

I can go to something Sunday!

A_Koi_Mermaid
10-20-2015, 10:01 PM
That actually works out best for Twiz and I because we already had two events to go to on Saturday unfortunately, otherwise we'd love to come! Is anyone else up for Sunday or is it too soon now?

ShyKaiju
10-21-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm down with a sunday swim!
and maybe we can all go to sushi yaa after? Or any type of food after :lol: