PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have This Problem With Silicone Tails? / Fabric Tail Maker Recommendations?

Incendium
08-04-2014, 02:40 PM
So! I recently posted about wanting to purchase a silicone tail. I decided to save up for a Merbellas tail and, while I'm waiting for another paycheck, I decided to splash around in my friend's FlipTails tail (which is super beautiful). After a half hour or so I started getting a bad burning sensation along my waistline though, and when I took the tail off and I had the worst rash. :/

Has this happened to anyone else before? Could it be possible I'm allergic to silicone?

BUT TO THE REAL POINT OF THIS THREAD; I think I'm going to stick to fabric tails for now. Do you guys have any recommendations? Are there any tail makers on the MerNetwork I could check out? I've already looked though the "buying tails" section and didn't see much I liked. Well, except Mermaid Kiara's tails, but I didn't see anything about purchasing a tail from her on her website/facebook.

But yeah, any stories/recommendations/comments/ect would be super helpful. :cool:

Raayvhen
08-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Perhaps you do indeed have a silicone allergy. Maybe you'd have more luck with latex? If you're interested in painted neoprene you should talk to Morticia Mermaid (aka Siren's Calling on FB)

Echidna
08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Silicone allergy exists, though it's apparently rare.
Do you get a rash from silicone bathing caps as well?

As for fabric tails; if you can't find a manufacturer you like, you can always make one yourself and be in total control of what materials and monofin you want to use.

Mermaid Galene
08-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I have a fabric tail from the OnceUponAMermaid (https://www.etsy.com/shop/OnceUponAMermaid) Etsy shop. It's very high quality, and I love it! I also have a FinFun (http://finfunmermaid.com/) tail, which has a realistic scale pattern, but is much thinner spandex than my other tail. In the water you can actually see my legs through the fabric.

AniaR
08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
It happens to me if the silicone is moldy. It is usually a sign of the tail needing to be cleaned. Also tight waist lines will leave impression that burn for 12-24 hours.

Mermaid Lily_Pad
08-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Is it only around your hips or all over your legs? I would think if it was an allergy it would present all over and not just around the hips. If you get the chance to wear it again, I would try putting something between your waist and the tail, like one of those bands that pregnant women wear to hide the space between their belly and pants.

AniaR
08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
As someone who has had it happen it really sounds like a suction thing or a mold thing.

Chrissy
08-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I had a lot of luck with fin fun fabric tails. Nice company and nice product. I have not had an allergy or rubs from my tail, knock on wood

PearlieMae
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
On top of mold, you might ask your friend what kind of lube she uses to get her tail on...you might be allergic to that.

Starfrit
08-05-2014, 12:13 AM
It's possible it could be a friction problem if there wasn't any lubricant (or not enough) on the tail when you put it on. Are you sure it's a rash and not just rubbed raw from the silicone?

If it's a rash, it's probably not serious but I'd definitely suggest getting it checked out by a doc anyway. Even if it's just a mild reaction, it never hurts to know for sure (and ESPECIALLY before you put any money down on an expensive silicone tail!)

In terms of fabric tails, if you're also considering neoprene I'd DEFINITELY recommend a painted tail from Siren's Calling / Morticia Mermaid. Her work is incredible and I've heard nothing but good things about her tails-- I've got my own tail in the works from her right now, I've been in love with every progress pic she's posted on her page and sent me privately, and she's been incredible to work with so far. :D She's definitely worth looking into if you're willing to spend the extra money!

Mermaid Wesley
08-05-2014, 01:13 AM
It could be a heat rash or something like that too. If you were allergic to silicone it would probably be all over your legs. Oh and having JUST gone to the doctor for a rash, they can't do much but give you hydrocortisone. You can't really identify a rash like that just by looking at it unfortunately.

Incendium
08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
ALRIGHT, I DISCOVERED THE ISSUE.
My friend alerted me to the fact there was green tea extract or whatever in the lube she was using. I'm highly allergic to green tea. Good news: I'm obviously not allergic to silicone! :')) I'm going to keep adding to my MerBellas Fund. >:) Part two of the good news: I checked out the FinFun website Mermaid Galene suggested and their Mermaidan tails are GORGEOUS! I'm totally ordering one since they're so cheap. |D

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 06:24 PM
YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO GREEN TEA. I love green tea. Being allergic to green tea is like being allergic to water for me.... I seriously think I would die if I was allergic to green tea. Although, I do have a slightly obsessive love for green tea.

Incendium
08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Believe me, I know. :( I used to love green tea, but I developed this awful allergy to it? I drink all sorts of other teas though. I love earl grey and pomegranate. : D
ALSO I LOVE YOU SIGNATURE.

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 08:07 PM
YES. THE RINGERS HAVE NEVER FAILED TO FIND EACH OTHER NO MATTER THE BOUNDS OF DISTANCE OR TIME! Just for the record, I also love your signature :)

Chrissy
08-05-2014, 08:32 PM
you are going to love your Fin Fun tail!!! The are really cute, Green tea allergy that is crazy, glad that was the culprit and not the silicone!!!

Raayvhen
08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Now I'm kinda curious about this green tea lube...

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I... I just can't... can't understand how someone can live without green tea....

Mermaid Kassandra
08-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Hey guys this isn't the right place but for fabric tails I have a great news in the tail making world I just need a couple of days to show you what surprise I am preparing for you ;)
I can assure you that what you'll see is completely new in the tail making :D
I just can't wait to show you!
Just check out "Merman Alexander" on Facebook he is brilliant and I'm sure that our collaboration will be really amazing!
We just need some days to get ready, I think that next week we will have all the photos and videos to show you ;)

Incendium
08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
She got it while she lived in Japan haha, I'll have to post a picture of the bottle. :p

Raayvhen
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Hey guys this isn't the right place

Then why post a really vague message in the first place?

Incendium
08-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Hey guys this isn't the right place but for fabric tails I have a great news in the tail making world I just need a couple of days to show you what surprise I am preparing for you ;)
I can assure you that what you'll see is completely new in the tail making :D
I just can't wait to show you!
Just check out "Merman Alexander" on Facebook he is brilliant and I'm sure that our collaboration will be really amazing!
We just need some days to get ready, I think that next week we will have all the photos and videos to show you ;)

Ooh, I'm excited to see what you've got coming up! :cool: I bet it'll be awesome. <3

Mermaid Kassandra
08-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry Raayvhen you're right I just was so excited to tell the community something about what was going on that I didn't think about it too much but just write it, sorry again!

Anyway soon or later Merman Alexander will come here on Mernetwork and we had a brilliant collaboration for tail making that we have decided to bring on and we realized a tail that is made of elasticized velvet and silicone :D
It came out really good but unfortunately it was the first tail we ever made in that way so we still have to work on it but to see pictures and videos of what came out check my FB page I will upload them in those days :)

Anyway our collaboration doesn't stops here and me and Merman Alexander will go on with other kind of tails that can be already ordered just email me and I'll tell you everything ;)

I still don't put here on the community anything of what we did and the other tails because I think is right that Merman Alexander will come here and explain what we do because without him I could do nothing so it's his right to tell you everything, even if our is a collaboration he is still the great tail maker I help him with ideas, designs and other things but his hands are still what brings the magic to life ;)

H-SAMA
08-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Perhaps you do indeed have a silicone allergy. Maybe you'd have more luck with latex? If you're interested in painted neoprene you should talk to Morticia Mermaid (aka Siren's Calling on FB)

Indeed. Seems like you got one.
I have silicone and latex reactions; (even with condoms)
I think you could use something between your tail to stop it to touch your skin. You could use something like oil ou simply use a higher cut bikini ou get your tail with neoprene on the inside. <3
Mine I think of making it covering a neoprene base because I already know about this allergy reaction :(

H-SAMA
08-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Is it only around your hips or all over your legs? I would think if it was an allergy it would present all over and not just around the hips. If you get the chance to wear it again, I would try putting something between your waist and the tail, like one of those bands that pregnant women wear to hide the space between their belly and pants.

Depends.
Yes and no. Sometimes the allergy shows more when the part is tighter or just because of the friction.
But yes, putting something between to avoid the friction to the skin is the best thing to do.
Also the oil is not that bad to make it slippery on the area. Sometimes work. I have a latex suit that I use when cosplaying Storm from X-men, that in theory I couldn't wear, but I apply a heavy coat of oil on the areas that would have more stress from the suit on my skin and I had been working, eg. behind the knee, and other areas that bend