PDA

View Full Version : Weird question... how to tell difference between plexiglass and lexan?

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Hey! So, I've probably posted four threads and it's only the middle of the afternoon for me, but I had a pretty weird run-in. So, last year, my art teacher had pieces of polycarbonate and plexiglass in the art room, and, long story short, I asked him if I could take some, and he let me. I was going to use it for a fluke in my tail. I grabbed what I thought was a good sized piece of lexan(it had 'Lexan' on it in big letters and had 'polycarbonate' in smaller letters), but when I tested the flexibility of it in my bathtub, it shattered like plexiglass. Okay, fastforward to this afternoon, and I was out getting groceries when I see my art teacher in the lineup! I say hey, he says hey, all that jazz, and then he remembered that I had taken some lexan/plexiglass during the year. Turns out, he lives about a block away, and told me he had some more left over from the end of the year that I could take if I wanted it. <note> Now is about the time when I clarify that he is not a creep that just wanted me to go to his house so he could kidnap me or something. He knows my dad, and has been at our house as well</note>. So, he took all of the plexiglass and lexan that he had and brought it over to my backyard, and I put it in my furnace room.

Now I have the task of figuring out which is polycarbonate and which is plexiglass. Quite frankly, I can use both of them, the plexiglass for my art, and the polycarbonate for a new fluke. Right now I have a giant pile of clear plastic-looking stuff and I don't know how to use it!

I found a sheet that was big enough for a new fluke, and the internet said to whack it with a hammer, and if it shatters, it's polycarbonate. I whacked it, and it didn't break, and I can bend it pretty much into a tube and it won't break. I just don't want to make a fluke, go swimming in it, and have it shatter in the water.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two?

P.S.
It doesn't matter if the plexiglass breaks, I use it for a sort-of stained glass project type thing, and I will break it anyway.

Ooh! And, on a side-note, I was going to paint the polycarbonate for the fluke, for an effect at the end of the tail. Can I use acrylic paint, or no???

Kishiko
08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Haha I think you meant if it shatters it's plexiglass, not polycarbonate XD but anyway, if you can't bend it over on itself and not have it break, it's definitely not plexiglass. If you hold it (wear eye pretection and gloves just in case) in front of you and shake it up and down, you should get a nice clear "thunder" sound. If it's plexiglass it will break. Good luck, and safety first!!

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Thank you! It does, in fact, get that weird thunder effect-that-they-always-use-in-absract-one-man-play sort of noises. And yes, I did mean it the other way around! Woops. Thank you so much!

Mermaid Wesley
08-05-2014, 07:50 PM
It sounds like lexan to me :) the other sheet you had could have been damaged somehow or old too

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, I'm thinking it was a packaging flaw. I got the same stuff at Home Depot that had the same packaging, and it broke too, in the same situation. I did ask my teacher when he bought it, and he had bought it quite recently to then. I'm thinking there was a bad shipment that wasn't actually polycarbonate, and we both just got the same thing. Thanks again!

PearlieMae
08-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Polycarbonate will snap but not shatter like plexiglass. I think the Home Depot lexan you got was just thin, not mislabeled. MarkF posted a link in my tail thread with another source to get polycarbonate sheets.

Lostariel Telrunya
08-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes, I did see that link. Thank you :)