PDA

View Full Version : Compiling resources

Mermaid Daenerys
08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Okay, so I know I'm very new to this whole mermaiding thing, so sorry if this sounds... I dunno, pushy or something. But it struck me that lots of products talked about on the forum aren't available/are harder to get in Britain (I keep finding what I want and then realising I need to pay shipping and customs from America - argh), and I wondered if maybe the UK/European mers could do well out of compiling a list of reliable manufacturers and suppliers for things like Spandex and Lycra, fabric paint, sewing machines, shells, even tailmakers and accessory makers. This list could include physical shops for different regions and websites (and warnings about which are not so good!). I just figured that the easier we make it for people to find what they want and make successful tails, the more mers will pop up in our waters!
Anyhow, please tell me if people think this is a good idea, or if I'm completely up the creek with this one, and maybe we can start compiling our catalogue :P
Thanks guys!

MerSkye
08-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Not up the creek at all , would help out quite a lot and be much easier then the hours spent on Google going through reviews and expensive shipping.

AniaR
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM
the problem is there just arent as many places that sell the stuff outside USA. We have the same problem in Canada. Dragonskin wont even ship here. They cant guarantee our cold weather wont mess with the liquid form on the way up!

Mermaid Daenerys
08-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the input, Raina, and can I just take a moment to tell you I love your stuff? xD Sorry, back to business now. I know there are some things that, due to the higher popularity of mermaiding in the USA ect, mean that we can only get stuff from there. But even things like fabric paints, spandex, neoprene... It would be useful to know who sells them in the UK, where they're based and what their service is like. I'm looking into making my first tail, and the time it is taking me to find even the fabric is crazy (I've faced the fact I need to order online, but it would be nice to have a list of regional shops where you can buy stuff in person so you know what you're getting).

angelstarfish
08-07-2014, 12:28 AM
have you tried special effects shops? I'm sure Europe must have them tucked away behind an alley or something (LOL, sorry Harry Potter reference). I'm also positive that special effects stores are nice about telling you what kind of supplies you'll need to make stuff