PDA

View Full Version : Child's Silicone Tail (Mermaids R Us)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I saw this last night on ebay. It looks very pretty from a glance and far away but one I clicked on the close ups, its kinda ugly!

I've seen afew of their tails on ebay... What's with that ugly scraped over flukes?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Childs-Professional-Silicone-Mermaid-Tail-Monofin-Swimmable-H20-Little-mermaid-/221515042432?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item3393534e80&_uhb=1

MermaidCecelia
08-08-2014, 10:59 PM
looks like a tail from the maker mermaids4us ive seen the same design of fluke on another tail

Morticia Mermaid
08-08-2014, 11:02 PM
It's a mermaids r us tail. Looks like they tried to replicate ravens angler fluke

Kishiko
08-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Hey for the current bidding price it wouldn't be bad to just revamp it like fifi does with them. Maybe she'd be interested in this

MermaidCecelia
08-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Minus maybe a repaint it does look kinda cool , not much in favor of these makers tails cause the flukes have a bit of a flaky appearance but still a nice concept

AniaR
08-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Their tails are awful I've seen in person. Probably the lowest grade tails that are marketed as higher end that you can get. Plus I remember a few people on here had issues with them.

MermaidCecelia
08-09-2014, 12:14 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/uqe8e5yp.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/adahubu4.jpg

Like I try not to want to make bad comments on the painting and the seams of some of the tails but....

Starfrit
08-09-2014, 01:07 AM
OMG Raina thank you for saying it, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks their tails are awful.

I have never liked the look of their tails... The shapes are amateur and the detailing is a hot mess. Ever since I first saw them, all I could think was just how scratchy they look. It's like they just scraped a freaking rake over sloppy globs of silicone, left it all tattered and shredded and called it a day. The seams are a mess, they don't look like they're fitted properly to anyone I've seen wearing them, they don't look comfortable and what's the freaking point of adding a skintone waistline to the tail if you're not even going to bother trying to match the model's/customer's actual skintone? Not everyone has the same skin color!

And just... The scale sheet. The freaking scale sheet. If you pull a cast out of your mold and the scales look like this:

You either fix it or scrap the mold entirely. Even if I'm just paying $500 I would expect a cleaner cast on my tail, if only because this stuff looks like a pain to properly clean and I can only imagine the fuzz that would grow in some of those nooks after a while...

And this orca tail is so gunked up with silicone and paint that it actually looks furry. That's... That's not something you wanna post to promote your business.

Also, I'm not so sure how I feel about the loose glitter literally dumped on the edges of that green tail and the bra... I wouldn't want that stuff coming loose in a pool and winding up with myself or someone else getting pieces of glitter in their eyes underwater. :/ It really doesn't seem safe to me, unless they've got some sort of protective coating/sealant over it to keep it all in place (then again I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so maybe it's safe, IDK).

AND LASTLY, because I don't know how to stop typing, the goddamn Instagram hashtags. I pretty much hate the whole obsession with hashtags but for Triton's sake if you're gonna try to use hashtags to sort out / make your stuff easier to find, at least make sure it's spelled right otherwise it defeats literally the entire point of the tag function. Nobody's going to find her if they search for #merfolk because she keeps spelling it #merfok. And #famousmermaids won't pull up half her stuff because she spells it #famousmeaids. More than once she's even managed to misspell her own Instagram account's name (mermaidstails4sale instead of mermaidtails4sale.)

I'm also baffled as to why she's tagging so many of these with #Mertailor????

Aquarianne
08-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Dude that fuzzy orca tail and bra...I was staring at the pic you posted, trying to figure out what it WAS. I thought it was a toy panda bear or something before I read the text!

Dat scale sheet, bro...I'm wrapping up my first ever latex tail, NEVER made a tail before and even mine looks better than this. And I hand-sculpted the scales out of clay, didn't even do the easier and more uniform "bits of foam" technique. If my first attempt is better than your professional stuff, you need to maybe screen your molds a bit better. I would not charge a customer that much for this product.

It's easy to understand why she tags Mertailor...if someone googles Mertailor looking to buy a tail, she can redirect some of those hits to her stuff. Kind of a jerk thing to do...I don't tag with my competitor's names...but definitely not unheard of.

Starfrit
08-09-2014, 01:30 AM
The only reason I even knew what it was was because I went browsing through her Instagram and saw pictures of it that were taken from further away. When I scrolled to the pic I linked above I seriously had to stop and stare because it looks like it's made from the same sort of scratchy, frizzy yarn one of my winter sweaters is made from.

And then I realized it was silicone and I was like... How does something like that manage to go so horribly, catastrophically wrong? And how does somebody look at that and go "Yep! That's my finest quality, I'm gonna charge five hundred dollars for it"????

The mind, it boggles.

Merman Arion
08-09-2014, 01:30 AM
FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM

Mermaid Momo
08-09-2014, 01:45 AM
From what I understand, the owner doesn't actually cast her scales but use the method usually used with making an ALEX plus tail. And the silicone isn't dragon skin I think but actually caulking.
But even with making the tails out of caulking, she could have done so much better, the scales could have been cleaner and her flukes are just a mess. Personally, I never liked their tails either, mostly because they don't look like much effort is being put into them at all. I could dish out that money and make it myself instead of getting that horribly made tail that looks like a bunch of silicone was just dumped down and someone didn't even bother to make it resemble a tail.

Mermaids R Us has also recently posted something on their facebook about how someone has stole their idea for a mermaid camp or mermaid school or something like that.

Fifi Tigg
08-09-2014, 01:58 AM
I've bought a couple of these tails and they are very poor quality! I had to use a scrubbing brush to try to remove the ridiculous amount of glitter and it still has glitter coming off it!!
The silicone isn't evenly distributed, thick, thin, bare in some spots and the fluke is beyond disturbing!
I had blisters on my hands from trying to cut through the fluke, it's soooo thick!
But with some tender love and care they can look half decent :)
I would pay no more than $200 for these tails in future because they are a lot of work!

Merman Arion
08-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Mermaids R Us has also recently posted something on their facebook about how someone has stole their idea for a mermaid camp or mermaid school or something like that.

Let me guess... Eric again?
This won't be the last time. I guess the guy has still way too time to kill while "working" for his customers. What's next? A scrochtopus line for men?? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Meilyn
08-09-2014, 02:59 AM
I stared at that Orca tail for the last ten minutes to finally pick it apart from the black fabric that it's on? I didn't know there's was a bra with it until just now lol.

Has anyone read the EBay description and post? I don't wanna be a b*tch but I feel the need to contact the business owner and tell her she needs a repeat of elementary school grammar and spelling classes.
I read it all. I am irritated at the lack of professionalism from a "professional" company.

I honestly wouldn't pay 25¢ for those tails. Even beginner tail makers I've seen, fabric and stretchy material alike, are far superior to these tails.

I would rather experience extreme fabric drag than the tails standard issues from owning one of her tails.
And Fifi, you're amazing for putting up with that. I know you rehome them, but if a tail came to me, partially used to new, in that condition, I would send it right back and channel my drill sergeants towards the maker.

Merman Arion
08-09-2014, 03:02 AM
here is a better picture of the "orca" tail.

Winged Mermaid
08-09-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm also baffled as to why she's tagging so many of these with #Mertailor????

I'm guessing for the same reason that MermaidsRUs made an Instagram account that was named "Mertailor" (but still posting MermaidsRUs pics and directing to the MermaidsRUs website) and Eric had to contact Instagram's legal department and show his trademark to get it removed. I remember seeing the account when I first got on Instagram and thought that was pretty low. They've done some sketchy stuff.

And yes they still use caulking on their tails and market it as "silicone". Technically it's silicone caulking, but it's very deceitful. Even though Eric uses tin cure for his low end tails, at least it's actual tin cure silicone from smooth on now and doesn't have as much hazardous properties as caulking does. And I agree 100% about the glitter- Craft glitter in the eye can seriously blind someone for life. Either way, sketchy. I know there's bad blood between a lot of people in the community, but so far Mermaids R Us has not been tactful and professional in how they deal with things, especially when it comes to them dealing with Mertailor as their competition.

AniaR
08-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Eric actually had the camp thing planned for a while I know cuz a former weeki Mer is helping and I met her at ncmerfest.

I have caught the mermaids r us people lying so many times.

The tails are crap period. The business is shoddy.

AniaR
08-09-2014, 07:00 AM
It looks like paper mache lol

PearlieMae
08-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Mermaids R Us - examples of how NOT to make tails!

Kishiko
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh come on guys they don't fail on their tails....

they just find a thousand ways that don't work :lol:

Merley
08-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Biggest regret yet? Buying a mermaidsrus tail; hands down.

Aquarianne
08-09-2014, 01:14 PM
I really REALLY try to never say anything negative about anyone, no matter what...but I'm very very very sorry, that orca tail is...not so good. OK, it's HOT GARBAGE, I said it. I don't like to ever diss anyone else's hard work, and if this was just someone's personal project, I would be very encouraging because I know they're learning. But charging 500 dollars for that is RIDICULOUS. It seems like it would be less work just to do it right, you know? I've surfed around on the forums, watched everyone's videos, and learned enough to make a pretty decent first latex tail, and learning how did NOT take that long. You'd have to actively avoid learning any techniques to mess up this bad. Or perhaps the person who made it just isn't that artistically inclined...maybe this just isn't their calling, no matter how much they wish it was. But even if you have no base talent for it, you can learn from other videos and improve significantly. This is...this is just silly.

Plus you really set yourself up for customer feedback headaches and complaints when you charge beyond your level of skill like this. Returns, exchanges, complaints, endless damage control online, it adds up and it's not worth it in the end. better to charge very low and raise your prices as your skill level raises, until both your prices AND your skill levels match those of your competitors.

Also just wtf fuzztail. Fuzztail looks like it would catch on everything and pick up lint. Blegh.

EDIT: I just realized what the orca tail looks like. It looks like someone pulled apart an Oreo and licked the frosting. XD mmmm Oreotail.

MermaidMadison
08-09-2014, 03:36 PM
They're so flaky! It's like they're molting or something.

MermaidCecelia
08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
some tail makers just arnt skilled for stuff like that, they should just stick completely with fabric tails , it does not look like a type of tail id want in the ocean , who knows what types of paints they use

Raayvhen
08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
EDIT: I just realized what the orca tail looks like. It looks like someone pulled apart an Oreo and licked the frosting. XD mmmm Oreotail.

I was seeing it as a badly frosted cake.

Mermaid Momo
08-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Eric actually had the camp thing planned for a while I know cuz a former weeki Mer is helping and I met her at ncmerfest.

And not to mention how there are already lots of mermaid camps all over the world. It's the "new frontier" sort of . Everyone's jumping on the band wagon and as such no one can claim that others are copying their idea for a mermad camp or school.

AniaR
08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
weeki has been putting on camps off and on for decades.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Oh its latex?? I thought it was some fuzzy yarn that they used and glued onto neoprene, as I was looking at neoprene tails on the net.

Slee
08-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I think I could make that tail with lint and elmer's glue. It wouldn't be swimable.... but that'd keep the glitter out of the pool.

as for the mermaid camp/school thing, of all the inevitable ideas, with recent articles on mermaiding doing the rounds, i can't imagine that "teaching people to do what my customers enjoy doing" is really a big leap.

Starfrit
08-10-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm guessing for the same reason that MermaidsRUs made an Instagram account that was named "Mertailor" (but still posting MermaidsRUs pics and directing to the MermaidsRUs website) and Eric had to contact Instagram's legal department and show his trademark to get it removed. I remember seeing the account when I first got on Instagram and thought that was pretty low. They've done some sketchy stuff.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1373398_o.gif

You're... You're shitting me, right? Please tell me she didn't actually do something that sleazy and stupid.

That just makes her hateboner for The Mertailor, like, ten times creepier. And sadder.

Meilyn
08-10-2014, 12:33 AM
^ and then the butt hurt mermaid camp thread on the drama section lol.

I hate you, you're ruining my business by making better looking tails, but I'm going to use your tags to get customers who may not be able to fully afford one of your tails...

PearlieMae
08-10-2014, 12:43 AM
It's really pathetic.

AniaR
08-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Hate boner lol

Starfrit
08-10-2014, 01:44 AM
^ and then the butt hurt mermaid camp thread on the drama section lol.

I hate you, you're ruining my business by making better looking tails, but I'm going to use your tags to get customers who may not be able to fully afford one of your tails...

EXACTLY. Her using the Mertailor tag to try to promote her own shoddy business had me absolutely rotted to the begin with, because you know the whole point of her doing that was to basically leech off of Eric's fan/potential customer base who couldn't afford one of his tails and wanted a cheaper alternative, and even went so far as to basically try to steal his business's name on social media to mislead those people and leech more (frankly unwarranted) popularity off of someone else's hard work? Yeah, no. That shit don't fly with me.

And then she has the GALL to start whining about "The mean BIG FISH is stealin' mah humble little family business!"

1) Eric's business is a "family business" as well, as Matt had already pointed out to her, and 2) Just because your business is a freaking failure compared to the people like this who actually put the work and effort into making their brand as successful and recognizable as it is does not give you the right to try to steal their clientele from them. You're not just the little fish trying to make it in this big pond full of bigger, meaner fish who are all out to get you; you're an asshole, plain and simple. If you can't advertise on your own and have to latch onto someone else's brand to get attention, then you need to sit down, shut up, and either re-think your whole business strategy or get the hell out of the game altogether and quit wasting the time and money of literally everyone around you.

I'M SORRY FOR THE ANGRY RANT but I just really really hate people who engage in super scummy business practices and then cry like they're the victim when they think somebody's doing the same thing to them.

http://www.hautetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/i-just-have-a-lot-of-feelings.gif

Also I feel kind of weird for how much I think I've been defending Eric here lately. I mean, he can be a hugely selfish jerk with skeevy practices of his own, but sometimes I feel like the crap that people like MermaidsRUs give him and Matt is pretty unwarranted.

Meilyn
08-10-2014, 02:19 AM
^ :hail:

I read the arguments and she even used HER OWN WORDS against herself saying that someone else said them by making fun of her. Which they didn't at all... I think the lady needs a reality check though. She seems unattached to what's going on with herself and her business as well as her own skill limitations.

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
08-10-2014, 03:09 AM
So unethical. Makes me sad. And almost *everyone* who has a Mermaid business has toyed with the mer school idea! Amelia and I thought of it before we had even become part of the larger mer community and weren't surprised that so many people were already doing it when we found out about the big world of mers out there. It is a natural idea to have if this is something that you are involved in. So no need to start accusing. Unfortunately very few ideas are truly unique any more, even if you came up with it independently chances are someone else has too.

Samantha Siren
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Is it me or should this company be taken of the "Buying Tails" list? I have no idea how thy are still in business, as their tails are awful! I am so glad people have the same thought as I do not understand how they can continue making such poor quality products when there are companies producing tails at a standard they could only dream of for the same price! Ridiculous! Rant over! :)

Slee
08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I kind of agree- having known poor quality listed leads newbies, (hi, newbie here) to come close to making mistakes. (Not that I nearly made that mistake, wisely learning the ropes in a fabric tail)

Mermaid Riia
08-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Is it me or should this company be taken of the "Buying Tails" list? I have no idea how thy are still in business, as their tails are awful! I am so glad people have the same thought as I do not understand how they can continue making such poor quality products when there are companies producing tails at a standard they could only dream of for the same price! Ridiculous! Rant over! :)

I agree 100% taking it off the list! I hope no one will ever buy their tails. They use wrong pictures on their website to sell you sh*t quality. You get a nice okay-ish looking image that should be the tail you are ordering but you end up getting ugly, bulky, flaky monster like that :S

MermaidCecelia
08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Agreed nobody who is new to mermaiding should get lured and tempted by a incredibly cheap price for such an awful quality product

AniaR
08-12-2014, 05:25 PM
I think the forum has strict rules for black listing. There needs to be a certain amount of evidence of scams. It took a while to black list fishbutts and adam martyn. The forum tries to present neutral so people can judge for themselves. But if she keeps going down this path it wont be hard for that to happen

Raayvhen
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe instead of blacklisting for now, just a quality warning?

MermaidCecelia
08-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Maybe people could post reviews in the review section of anyone who owns the tails?

Mermaid Riia
08-12-2014, 06:26 PM
I can give you evidence all you have to do is ask. I have all the pictures from the website, pics from Fifi and all the emails. I'm still battling to get something back from them and ready to take actions just to ban them in general..

We can't ignore this just because we want to stay neutral. If there's no warning added we are not being fair to our community's (new) mermaids. How would anyone know about this without any warning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
08-12-2014, 06:40 PM
I can't blacklist anyone unless people have been scammed out of money- as in paid money, did not get tail, and did not get a refund. I can compose a quality warning, but that means I need people to post their own reviews (in a separate thread or in the review section) with photo evidence. Then I can make a thread with links to the other threads or reviews so people can read for themselves (I can't post he-said-she-said type info).

I 100% agree with everyone, but I have to go about this in a certian way- I hope you understand! I'll keep an eye out for people posting said reviews, but if you decide to post one that would be relevant to the quality warning I'm wanting to compose, it would help if you PMed me with the link to your review so they don't get lost in the shuffle. Thanks!

Mermaid Jaffa
08-12-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to start anything. I was searching for neoprene tails and this was one of the results that I came across. When I read the description it sounded fine until I saw it was them. Like many, I don't understand why these people are still in business what with their shonky business practices and products.

Seaweed
08-13-2014, 12:19 AM
awful....

Mermaid Riia
08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you Iona, we understand what you mean. Will do a review as soon as I can

Mermaid Wesley
09-12-2014, 04:00 AM
look what i found todat! whaat is that line down the fluke? its not even centered??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Professional-Silicone-Mermaid-Tail-Monofin-Swimmable-H20-Little-mermaid-/221545396107?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item339522778b
and it seems like a 10 year old wrote the description like woooww....................

Merman Arion
09-12-2014, 04:15 AM
look what i found todat! whaat is that line down the fluke? its not even centered??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Professional-Silicone-Mermaid-Tail-Monofin-Swimmable-H20-Little-mermaid-/221545396107?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item339522778b
and it seems like a 10 year old wrote the description like woooww....................

Wow! That's a new level! Their tails are shit already but THIS?! WHO in his/her right mind would pay for such bad work?? :doh:

Merley
09-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Wow. Fucking wow. This chick...god help her.

Aquarianne
09-12-2014, 04:59 AM
"It is the Mermaid Secret" is my new quote. I will apply it to everything i do.

"Hey Aquarianne, did you put mayo on these sammiches?"

"It is the Mermaid Secret."

Also, was it not the mertailor who made the Weeki and Ripley costume tails, not MermaidsRUs? Seriously, what a bunch of unscrupulous frauds.

Oh wait, I mean,

WHAT A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OF UNSCRUPULOUS FRAUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I INVENTED WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merman Arion
09-12-2014, 05:03 AM
For anyone who wants to see. WARNING : this might hurt your eyes :doh:

This is what it's supposed to look like :

And this is the actual tail :

Echidna
09-12-2014, 05:07 AM
We pride ourselves in creating the very highest quality mermaid products. Whether you are shooting a high-end special effects music video or just wanting to swim in your back yard pool, all of our products are made to withstand the sea, fresh water, and chlorinated pools. All of our tops and tails are made with a professional unique effect that makes our tails and tops a one of a kind. (It is the Mermaid Secret).

:eye twitch:

although, to be fair, to the eyes of someone who has never seen a high quality performance tail, this might not even look so bad.
It also just costs one third of such a tail.

The orca tail would even be decent if it didn't have that strange furry look.

Fifi Tigg
09-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Wow that is bloody terrible!!!! :(

Trident True
09-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Coming from an artists point of view i can confidently say that these people don't have a clue what they are doing. they are poorly made full stop. I've seen members here create beautiful tails which are first timers that s..t all over these tails. they are rushed, assembled very poorly that they do not deserve to be literally advertised to be sold. it's clear to me that the makers of these tails do not have a Quality of standard. in other words they look utterly dismal. I think a warning of Quality should be addressed here if it can. also i thought it is illegal to sell tails that aren't created in a platinum silicone. is this correct?

Kishiko
09-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Coming from an artists point of view i can confidently say that these people don't have a clue what they are doing. they are poorly made full stop. I've seen members here create beautiful tails which are first timers that s..t all over these tails. they are rushed, assembled very poorly that they do not deserve to be literally advertised to be sold. it's clear to me that the makers of these tails do not have a Quality of standard. in other words they look utterly dismal. I think a warning of Quality should be addressed here if it can. also i thought it is illegal to sell tails that aren't created in a platinum silicone. is this correct?

well lol no it's not illegal. That's like saying you can only sell clothes made of silk. And it was already discussed that they don't want to put warnings or blacklist this maker yet without sufficient evidence of scams or the like because of issues of slander.

MermaidCecelia
09-12-2014, 03:33 PM
i think the layout and such to post the tail is pretty unprofessional
like i understand some people want to get their tails our there so they will tag relating sorta stuff like " h20" "littlemermaid" MAYBE if just starting out. but to use the title
Famous Professional Silicone Mermaid Tail Monofin Swimmable. H20, Little mermaidinstead of " mermaidsrus silicone mermaid tail " which would be more appropriate to use or to use a ebay account with the tail makers name in it not lwilde6208 (http://www.ebay.com/usr/lwilde6208?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)

also in the description it says to send in measurements , but they post a photo of a " koi fish" tail , tag koi fish , its not being specific on weather they are selling THAT tail or if that is just an example because if so , multiple photos should be posted and not just that tail specifically.
another store platform should be used at least like storeenvy or etsy etc
the way this tail maker advertises her company in the first place is very poorly done and says alot about her professionalism

MermaidCecelia
09-12-2014, 03:41 PM
what urks me is even with her fabric mermaid tails , she tags them with " just like fin fun " or " fun fin" as an alternative
not only is that completely untrue with the " just like fin fun" part, its wrong to try to be like MY TAILS ARE JUST LIKE THIS BRAND CAUSE I SAID SO , YET TOTALLY BUY FROM ME INSTEAD

Chrissy
09-12-2014, 09:09 PM
it has been on ebay for a long time :thinks::thinks:

Theobromine
09-12-2014, 09:20 PM
These tails are such wrecks they remind me of Cakewrecks...only for mermaid tails. Someone should start up a Tailwrecks blog. It would be all of these tails.

MerEmma
09-12-2014, 11:20 PM
These tails are such wrecks they remind me of Cakewrecks...only for mermaid tails. Someone should start up a Tailwrecks blog. It would be all of these tails.

I get what you mean about how gross these tails are in particular, and you were probably joking but someone else might take it seriously, but...
Yeah...let's not. :P In the furry fandom there are a LOT of blogs like that and all it does is ostracize and make a lot of people feel insecure when what they have is featured there. Communities like this should be open minded to all skill levels (but again, these tails should NOT be for sale! I mean personal) and not single out people who aren't professionals so please, nobody try to do this for real. Tumblr recommends them a lot to me on my dashboard and it just makes me really disappointed to see a picture of a first suit pop up with a really derogatory remark below it.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-12-2014, 11:43 PM
I just had a look at their silicone tails on their website... BLERGH!

Theobromine
09-13-2014, 12:24 AM
I get what you mean about how gross these tails are in particular, and you were probably joking but someone else might take it seriously, but...
Yeah...let's not. :P In the furry fandom there are a LOT of blogs like that and all it does is ostracize and make a lot of people feel insecure when what they have is featured there. Communities like this should be open minded to all skill levels (but again, these tails should NOT be for sale! I mean personal) and not single out people who aren't professionals so please, nobody try to do this for real. Tumblr recommends them a lot to me on my dashboard and it just makes me really disappointed to see a picture of a first suit pop up with a really derogatory remark below it.

Well, what do you think THIS thread is, then?? Yes it was a joke, and I thought it was pretty obvious my point was that if someone started a tailwrecks blog it would just feature the tails by this particular tailmaker. If you're offended by that, maybe don't participate in this thread where people are making plenty of derogatory remarks about
these particular tails. :P

MerEmma
09-13-2014, 01:43 AM
No, sorry. I have no problem personally with a seller being called out on shoddy work. I realize my wording is a little off now, it was meant more directed toward anyone who might think it was a good idea to "collect" bad tails people made for themselves. I just see it a lot and it's really off putting.

Seatan
09-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I get what you meant, MerEmma, and appreciate what you said. The Mer Community is really pretty nice, but I am also a fandomer (I write slash fanfic) and some of the bullying out there would astound this community. I actually made a blog standing against another blog that took people's fanfic and ripped the writing apart, MST3K style, without their permission. Their whole point was making fun of people they didn't think were good writers. Talk about a humiliating thing to have happen. This community is very kind and generous, but there are SO many Tumblrs out there dedicated to ripping apart the work of people who are just trying to have fun creating something that it is easy to see how your mind would go there.

Mermaid Momo
03-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I haven't seen anything from them in a while, anyone know what they've been up to?

Merperson Danny
03-26-2015, 05:39 PM
I looked at the pics in the eBay listing... WHY IS THIS PICTURE THERE
What the holy fuck (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/E0YAAOxy63FSpXLF/$_57.JPG?rt=nc)
._.

Gem Stone
03-26-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing they lost a bet? Are those sand dollars on the guy with the blue tail?

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-26-2015, 07:38 PM
The ebay link is no longer working however visiting page 3 is enough to know from pro to beginner and that tail does not look pro to me :eye twitch:

Silva
05-15-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm just going to be that person and revive this thread here...

I looked at the pics in the eBay listing... WHY IS THIS PICTURE THERE
What the holy fuck (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/E0YAAOxy63FSpXLF/$_57.JPG?rt=nc)
._.

That is just random and wrong and unprofessional. The tails are not even mermaids r us tails! :doh:

Mermaid Mystery
05-15-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm just going to be that person and revive this thread here...

That is just random and wrong and unprofessional. The tails are not even mermaids r us tails! :doh:

they make fabric tails, I remember they said the guys were just on some talk show in their tails (and tops)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerEmma
05-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah, those guys appeared on the Chelsea Lately show I believe for a sketch/gag and Mermaids R Us made the tails I think. It was publicity for them.

Silva
05-26-2015, 07:33 AM
ooh

Ashe
05-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Well they should have made it clear that they made the tails? No one aside from Emma seemed to know what the heck was going on... But hey, lowering expectations for this one.

The Harlem Mermaid
06-08-2015, 01:05 AM
wow thank you all for this thread it was shared to me by Susan Gardner i was going to purchase one not anymore , i love this forum and its caring and smart mer"s!

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm starting my very first silicone tail and I've never made a tail before. So far, my tail looks so much better than this, even if it's my first time!

Mermaid Jaffa
11-18-2015, 12:06 AM
it has been on ebay for a long time :thinks::thinks:
That's because they still make them.