PDA

View Full Version : Possible Future Pod member -- Need Help

Lorelei
08-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Hello Oceania Pod! :)
(You can either read the story, or skip to the end and answer the questions, whichever works. I didn't mean to type so much :$.)

So recently a lot of things have been going on and it's hitting that point in my life where I'll be graduating college within the next year or two and trying to find a place to live and settle down.
Ever since I was younger, I had always had a love of the idea of moving to Australia (my freshman year of high school I even made a little ceramic box with all things Aussie on it with the intention of moving there someday). I even looked at universities in Australia, but I didn't want to be away from my family so soon.
My boyfriend and I attend(ed) the same university in Idaho, but he was unhappy with his major and felt it wasn't what he wanted to do and last April, while we were at an anime convention in Seattle, we came across a booth for a gaming school. They just opened a few campus in the U.S., but are centered in Australia.
We talked with the representatives for a good hour or so every day of the con and, long story short, it seemed like an amazing opportunity for him and I looked up jobs for my major in Sydney as well (by his campus) and it looks like there's plenty of opportunity for work for myself there after I graduate.
He'll be trying to get accepted into the school and take online classes until I graduate and we can move.
We've debated for a long while wither to go with the Seattle campus or take a chance on Sydney, Australia and I've even been talking a lot with my wonderful friend who was born and raised in Adelaide and is very happy with her life there.
We're leaning toward Australia, but once we decide we need to stick to it and I sometimes get too terrified to make such a big move and talk myself out of it. I'm unhappy here though and I don't want to regret not going later.
(After all, I was taught that the right path isn't always the easiest one.)

So I was just hoping to get some opinions from you lovely mers who already are living there. Maybe you can help me be more confident in my choice or just help me decide in general.
Do you enjoy living in Australia? Do you feel safe in most places and feel like it'd be a good place to raise a family? Is there a lot to do or do you get bored ever? How much opportunity is there for mermaiding there? I imagine there'd be a lot with the ocean nearby, but how accepting are people and public swimming places?

Thanks in advanced for the help! <3 :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~November 2014 Update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Through a lot of planning, we will be moving to Seattle next July to finish the rest of our school. This doesn't eliminate the possibility of an Australia move, but it definitely puts it last on the list for now. We're not sure where the future will lead. We may decide to stay in Seattle or move elsewhere (most likely Hawaii), but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Thank Q all for the great responses! :)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
We have high unemployment rates. Unless you already have a job to go to, you'll be spending your life under the eye of the government welfare folks. They're alot stricter now than they were in the old days. If you're not working, they'll make you attend work for welfare classes which do nothing to help you gain skills related to your area of interest or employment skills. Its basically a daycare for the unemployed.

Its also very expensive to rent, especially if you plan to live near or in the cities. Regional areas are way more affordable in terms of buying or renting a place, but you would need to drive to work, if you're working in the city which can be anything up to 2 - 4hr drive each way. Working in regional areas is scarce, sometimes it'll take a very long time to find even just a casual job. We do have public transport like trains and buses, but the services run every hour only, unlike the city where it runs every 10 -15 mins and there are alot more choices to take regarding travel.

Living expenses can be expensive too, but that will depend on what type of person you are. Whether you like to spend big, live it up etc, or a budget counting person who tallies everything to the last cent! The weather can get up to the extremity sometimes, it can get up to 40 degrees celcius in summer and as cold as -6 in winter, also depending on where you live. Coastal area where I live is regional but our seasons don't get quite as extreme as someone who lives inland. Oh and then there's flies everywhere you go in summer. They love to land on a sweaty face and drink up your sweat!

Oh if you're coming here to study and want to live here afterwards, apply for Permanent Residency NOW! Applications for it take approx few months up to 2 years to be approved. So plenty of time to think about why you want to live in Australia and how you can contribute to our country. Permanent Residency grants you unlimited stay, you get all the perks of a citizen like receiving welfare if you're not working, concessions etc. The only two things you can't do on this visa is, vote and apply for federal government jobs. But that's ok, our PM is crap, our government is even crappier and federal jobs are rare to see in the job listings.

As for mermaiding, people are quite open minded about it. You may get a few curious looks but you won't get crowds. When I started I rang round the local pools here, they've all said yes to me bringing in a mermaid tail. The club pool I usually go to, were at first worried so they had the lifeguards watching me all the time. Now when I go, I get some smiles, a lane to myself even though I share lane sometimes, the other person goes into another lane. Maybe they're afraid I'll hit them with my fin. The kids don't crowd round. They're polite and keep their distance, though occasionally I'll get a kid or a group of teenagers barging into my lane to see what I'm doing, but I usually ignore them and continue on my way.

Tasha Mermaid
10-23-2014, 04:13 AM
I am in Sydney, I love Australia, fir the most part we are super friendly and laid back so mermaiding is more fun as you wont get many picking on you.
There are always jobs opening I see around even if its just retail, even the home hardware store bunnings normally has jobs and pays good, then there are places like supermarkets and toys r us that normally have positions available.
Renting with be your most likely option and can be expensive depending on area, penrith where I am is pretty peaceful and lovely and only an hour from the main city.

My partner is from England and loves it here, said he would never move back.
another thing you will find is that we tend to have alot of room.
I mean my partner and I are in a 3 bedroom lovely place and its just us ☺

Tasha Mermaid
10-23-2014, 04:14 AM
And I would absolutely go swimming with you ��

Mermaid Jaffa
10-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Yea, just depends on where you want to live, in terms of looking for work and work related things.

As I now live 20mins by bus from Sydney city, I see a lot of work opportunities in the papers and internet. Whereas, when I lived on the Central Coast, I would only see 5-10 listed job ads. Not much when you consider that where I was, was a high unemployment area. It is one of those places that the only way to find work was if someone retires, maternity leave or dies. Morbid.

Tasha Mermaid
10-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Oh definitely agree there, the central coast is beautiful but jobs just dont happen there very often.... main sydney suburbs and western sydney suburbs are definitely your best bet.

I would love to look at forming a Sydney Pod, wonder if any other Sydney mers would be interested ☺

Mermaid Miel
11-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Mermaid Stormy-Heart would be the best girl to talk to, She moved to Adelaide from England.

There is high youth unemployment... but the most competition is in the starter-level jobs. If you have lots of experience, a full resume and have a valuable trade skill, then it's a Lot easier to get a job.

I live in Adelaide, we have a friendly & open Pod of mermaids. I have Never received abuse or ridicule for wearing my tails in public. (even when they were my early poorly-made fabric tails) Stormy & I organize up to 4 Mermaid meets a year, one in each season. between 5-8 mermaids & mermen show up, with an estimated 10-12 merfolk in our pod.

The climate here is nice. Spring is either Hot, Cold&wet, or warm & windy. the summer's here are Hot & Dry, between 25C up to 40+ (77F-104+) the highest I've ever dealt with was a 43C day early this year. Summer starts in December, and lasts till March.
Autumn is dry and windy. Winter is still cold and wet, but unless you head for the tops of the mountains, you wont see any snow.

The cost of housing can be more affordable in Adelaide. But in balance we have a Slightly higher unemployment figures.
For your own research, I found my New home (my First!! :D ) on Domain.com.au (http://www.domain.com.au/) that will help you look up housing prices in your chosen area And in surrounding suburbs. Hot tip. Look up the Public Transport system. It is cheaper to live in the suburbs and commute into the city then to live in the city.

I hope that helps and I don't sound too speechy

-Annwyn-
11-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Do you enjoy living in Australia? Do you feel safe in most places and feel like it'd be a good place to raise a family? Is there a lot to do or do you get bored ever? How much opportunity is there for mermaiding there? I imagine there'd be a lot with the ocean nearby, but how accepting are people and public swimming places?

Do you enjoy living in Australia? I do. I live in Melbourne, and find it's very liveable. I live about 30kms from the CBD, and it takes me about 30 mins by train. Melbourne also has the largest tram network in the world, and it's pretty admirable (at least for me it is). The buses, trains and trams interlink with one another, which is handy. Inflation makes the price of everything go up, and public transport is one of those things. Also, public transport in Melbourne uses the MYKI ticketing system, so you'd need to learn to use that.

Do you feel safe in most places and feel like it'd be a good place to raise a family? I feel safe in most places. Most of all, it's nice to know most people aren't carrying weapons on themselves (like guns) so yes, compared to other places around the world, it's very safe. And it's a great place to raise a family.

Is there a lot to do or do you get bored ever? There's tons to do and see. Just depends on what your interests are.

How much opportunity is there for mermaiding there? Lots. It's warm enough to swim most of the year (yes, even in winter the pools are open).

How accepting are people and public swimming places? People pretty much don't care, or are amused. It's really been no hassle for us to go swimming.

MermaidStormy
11-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Hey Lorelei,

My good friend Mermaid Miel told me about this thread and how you might want to move here to Australia. I read your little story and will give you my splurge on it (sorry it's long). I know how scary it is to move to somewhere new I am from england and moving to Australia was one of the biggest, and scariest things I have done in my life. I was only 15 when I moved so It made it more emotional for me. Me and my family had never moved house before so it was all nerve wrecking for us. My parents had always wanted to move out here and because of my dad's job he had an opportunity to come out here.

When I was 15 of course I didn't want to move and means new things, took me a very long to adjust. Now that I look back was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. My life now compared to my life in england didn't have all opportunties that australia had to offer. My parents to chose adelaide to live in, It is to me an awesome place to live in. There is always load of events and different things going on. One of the things being here I found that I love doing is cosplay and attending conventions. I read that you attended an anime convention definitively if you decide to live here go to an aussie con they are amazing. Different cons in different states around Australia I went to my first interstate con in Melbourne and the plan ride than took no more than half an hour. I couldn't believe it :) The people are really friendly at conventions and is such a positive community here in australia for cosplay.

I can't say I could ever get bored of Australia there is still so many places I want to see and go to. Even in Adelaide there are places I want to go and explore. I may go to the same places here say the city but honestly I never get bored I love it. I love walking around the city it makes me feel happy everytime :) I'm always excited but that's just me. There are always new places to explore here in the aussie land.

Mermaiding opportunities here in Australia is pretty accepting and always great opportunity in spring and summer for the beaches. I'm so excited for this summer to be able to take my tails with me to the beach. We have an awesome Adelaide merpod we may be small but I know we will grow. We always have meets every year at the local swimming center. Swimming centers are not really bothered by seeing some tails. I know one dude knows me at the swimming centre I go to :) You won't get massive crowds of people around you, you'll just get people come up to you curious about your tail or children following you around. <3

The education here in Australia is a thousand times better than in england. I had always wanted to work in the animal industry and when I found out I could do animal study courses specifically I couldn't believe it. By doing those courses I was able to become an animal attendant at a boarding center and get to be up close with all the animals. There are so many different options and course to take here in so many different areas and I think your boyfriend would have a great chance at finding a course or education he would want to take. Jobwise here I know we have been known in the past for a high unemployment rate but I believe there are great job opportunities here for anyone <3

All round I am so glad for life I have in Australia I have been able to, become the person I had always wanted to be, make friends with similar interests to me and find some awesome hobbies. I hope this helps you dear with your decision and gives you some insight. I know how it feels to leave things behind but you won't be leaving it behind everyone you love will always still be there and you can always plan to go back on a holiday and see them. I've had some of my UK family come to visit me and I've always expected to be so sad but I feel the opposite excited and happy *might have cried a bit of course*. I have my uncle coming next march with his family even though I've not see him for eight years I am so excited to see them and show them around Adelaide, Show them the life we have here.

All I'll say to you Lorelei is we all have one life, one chance, one shot and might as well and jump in, It's scary to do anything like that but I believe taking a chance leads to brighter things along the waves of peace. Don't regret things that you have wanted to do and you never pursed that. If it didn't work out then that fair enough.

Do things on your own terms
Ride the waves of happniess :)

Love Mermaid Stormy

Tasha Mermaid
11-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Mermaid Stormy-Heart would be the best girl to talk to, She moved to Adelaide from England.

There is high youth unemployment... but the most competition is in the starter-level jobs. If you have lots of experience, a full resume and have a valuable trade skill, then it's a Lot easier to get a job.

I live in Adelaide, we have a friendly & open Pod of mermaids. I have Never received abuse or ridicule for wearing my tails in public. (even when they were my early poorly-made fabric tails) Stormy & I organize up to 4 Mermaid meets a year, one in each season. between 5-8 mermaids & mermen show up, with an estimated 10-12 merfolk in our pod.

The climate here is nice. Spring is either Hot, Cold&wet, or warm & windy. the summer's here are Hot & Dry, between 25C up to 40+ (77F-104+) the highest I've ever dealt with was a 43C day early this year. Summer starts in December, and lasts till March.
Autumn is dry and windy. Winter is still cold and wet, but unless you head for the tops of the mountains, you wont see any snow.

The cost of housing can be more affordable in Adelaide. But in balance we have a Slightly higher unemployment figures.
For your own research, I found my New home (my First!! :D ) on Domain.com.au (http://www.domain.com.au/) that will help you look up housing prices in your chosen area And in surrounding suburbs. Hot tip. Look up the Public Transport system. It is cheaper to live in the suburbs and commute into the city then to live in the city.

I hope that helps and I don't sound too speechy
Hottest I have delt with over here was 56C ...summer in a northern NSW town called lightening ridge(opal mining town where most of the worlds opals come from), 40's-50's is normal there in summer but winter gets as cold as -7C 😜

Lorelei
11-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Wow, I don't know why this thread all of a sudden got popular. O.o I posted it back in August.
Thanks for all the replies everyone, but the decision for us has already been made and we will be moving to Seattle next July. I will hopefully be attending the Seattle Film Institute for my filming passion. :) Mermaid July and I even plan on filming a mermaid Youtube series sometime next summer (HOPEFULLY! Might do a kickstarter, we've really been debating it).
Once again thank you for all the replies, they are great things to know for the possible future, but we had to make a quick decision about it. I appreciate all you Aussie Mers <3 You guys are awesome and hopefully I will be over for a swim sometime! (I do have a very good pen-pal of about 6 years I need to go visit in Adelaide haha :) )
Also thank you for the story Stormy <3 It's really helpful to hear from someone who experienced such a big move firsthand. :)

MermaidStormy
11-07-2014, 05:57 AM
That's quite alright :) Glad I was able to help anyway hehe