PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Creations?

Incendium
08-20-2014, 10:49 AM
What do you guys think of them and their tails?

I was toying around with the idea of getting a Mermaid Creations tail. They have ~pay half now, pay the rest later~ option which I just love.
- —because seriously, who just has $1,500 laying around? :p $750 is much easier for me to swing haha.

So, what's your opinion on these guys? Would getting a tail from them be a good investment?

Oh! And I'm also getting one of these precious little gems;
https://www.etsy.com/listing/173357740/dragonskin-silicone-mermaid-tail-with?ref=shop_home_active_3

AniaR
08-20-2014, 11:08 AM
I have one. Mind you, it was one of the first ones he's ever made and he's improved since then. Currently Im not sure he's taking any orders as he catches up. The tails are a bit heavy and thick and it depends on the type of swimmer you are if you can manage it. The flukes are hard to lift up but can be done. They do fill up with water so you gotta be careful. Ours split in two and had to be re glued after a while. The only real downside it he uses a product called perma wet over top of the paint. While everyone likes the shiny look... perma wet will peel over time and makes it so you cant repaint the tail. Our tail has faded pretty significantly. But nothing can really be done about it.

I've documented our tail here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3253-Mermaid-Creations-Review and I added more pictures at the end.

Ayla of Duluth
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM
The only real downside it he uses a product called perma wet over top of the paint. While everyone likes the shiny look... perma wet will peel over time and makes it so you cant repaint the tail.

I was just wondering about this the other day. The look of fresh wet silicone has really grown on me so I was thinking about what it would look like on my Finfolk tail. But if it peels and affects the silicone so it can't be repainted, maybe its not such a good idea.

AniaR
08-20-2014, 12:08 PM
it shouldnt be done, it's a latex product, and latex wont bond to silicone.

Ayla of Duluth
08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
I wonder if there's any sort of product that has a similar effect as perma wet that won't harm the silicone.

Merman Dan
08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
They have ~pay half now, pay the rest later~ option which I just love. - —because seriously, who just has $1,500 laying around? :p $750 is much easier for me to swing

Some of the other tailmakers have payment plans, as well.

Incendium
08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Ooh, thank you so so much for the input!
I don't think I'll be going with them now, I don't like the idea of a tail that can't be repainted.

Merman Dan, the payment thing was jus a bonus. It won't be affecting my decision, haha.