PDA

View Full Version : To swim in your own aquarium...

StellaTheSiren
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi all!

I just joined this forum today, and it's so nice to see how big this community is!
I was wondering - does anyone have experience with aquariums?
Swimming in them, buying them, building them... Anything will do.
I'd love to have my own aquarium to swim in (and do shows in...) but so far I haven't seen anything under 16.000 euros (like 20.000 dollars) which is a little steep for me =P

EDIT: I'm looking for something like this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7nKf_kE4YI

Any ideas are totally welcome!
Kind regards,
Stella

Meilyn
08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
I have a 400 gallon pond out back and it's not even big enough to swim in, let alone, deeper than 3 feet in the deep areas. It's estimated cost for it alone, with 6 koi fish and some aquatic plants, is over 9,000 haha.

Aquariums are quite expensive. You're looking at well over 30,000 USD if you're planning on getting enough water, space, plants, and animals to make it look like anything out of a city aquarium. Plus your water bill and maintenence will be less than killer if you're moderate to low income.

My boyfriend and I spend At LEAST 2 hours each day with pond maintenence and care after work so be willing to add over 1.5 hours of work in your daily work load to keep it clean, clear, and pretty. :)

StellaTheSiren
08-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi!
Thanks so much for your reply!
Hmm, I'm not sure that's what I mean.
I'm talking about like more of a tank, like the ones Mermaid Melissa has - the ones you can move around. I don't actually have to "swim" in them - I kind of just want to lie in it and flap my tail =P Maybe be able to turn around in it. I'm figuring it should be about 2.30m long, 1.20m wide and maybe 1.20m high? I don't need any plants or fish in it =)

The problem with a tank like this would probably be the cost of the walls as it'll need to withstand so much pressure.
Thanks again for your reply! ^^
Happy swimming!

Echidna
08-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Swimming in one's personal tank is everymer's dream, sadly it is horribly expensive, which is why only very few mers (who need it for performing) invest in a tank.
Even a "small" tank which doesn't allow real swimming will cost a large sum.

There are several threads with lots of info about this somewhere, maybe you can find them with search.

BayouMermaid
08-22-2014, 04:45 PM
You could make a tank for around $600 USD, but it won't be portable. Look up how to build plywood fish tanks.

Meilyn
08-23-2014, 04:13 PM
When you said aquarium, I thought you meant like, public aquarium, aquarium. With plant life and fishes lol. Not regular empty tank Haha. Misunderstanding