PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fixing My Foot Pockets

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Well, I finally got my Merbella Studios tail, Mantis, and he's everything I've ever dreamed (still not sure why I consider him a guy though but whatever haha)! However, I have encountered a small problem. The mouths of my competitor's foot pockets are a little tight on my wide feet. While the actual pockets themselves work fine, the mouths cut off circulation in my feet. They also do this to the two other mermaids in my pod that could fit into him, and they have smaller feet than I do. It caused swelling and discoloration in my feet after a few hours, which isn't the healthiest thing to do to your feet (even if you'd rather just chop them off and be a mermaid). So I was wondering what could be done to fix this?

I've noticed that the tops of the competitor monofin are not attached to the tail and could easily be snipped back a bit with a pair of tiny scissors (which I have) to provide more foot room in the mouth of the pocket itself. However, I don't want to do anything without knowing whether or not it will wreck my tail or how it performs. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, how did you solve the problem? I haven't had a chance to swim yet in the tail but have a Ren Faire this weekend where I will be both swimming and sitting dry, so I'd like to have it fixed before Thursday to guarantee I can test it and make sure everything works well.

Many thanks! <3

PearlieMae
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Cutting off the circulation to your feet is not good, but neither is cutting the footpocket, I would think. I did that to my Rapid, and it ripped at a point where it was snipped.

Maybe sanding away some of the mouth of the pocket will work in opening it without causing a weak spot where the rubber may tear? Start with a coarse grit to eat away at it, the finish with finer sandpaper to smooth and round the edges?

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 10:09 AM
That's an interesting idea. I'll definitely look into that, because it does sound safer. I was concerned about future tears in the foot pockets--glad to know to avoid cutting them, because I don't need any more foot pocket problems. Haha!

PearlieMae
09-09-2014, 10:36 AM
You might want to wait for more suggestions, though, as it's only theory!

If you find something that has a similar rubber, you might want to test the idea, first! Good luck!

MarkF
09-09-2014, 11:02 AM
If it is a monofin made of rubber and not silicone heating it would allow you to stretch it. Silicone is unaffected by heat till it's really hot. That's why we can get muffin pans made of it, there's even a guy on youtube that pours molten lead in to one.
The fin's company customer service could tell you.

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
It's a Finis Competitor Monofin, which they say is made of rubber. That's also a good idea, though I'm not sure how exactly to get heat down into the foot pocket without damaging the tail.

Theta
09-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Maybe see if you can use an exacto knife to kind of pare away extra rubber? It sounds like you need more space over the top of your foot. A blade would allow you to cut the foot pocket back in small increments, until it's where you need it to be.

MarkF
09-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Mermaid Merin, The customer service for Finis would have had to answer that question and how much heat and if that works. Likely a hair dryer could be enough, you only need enough to stretch it and not melt it.
I think what to stretch it with will be important because you don't want any sharp corners.

Cutting it down may reduce how well it stays on your foot.

AniaR
09-09-2014, 11:59 AM
I would not cut off the backs of the foot pockets. They keep the monofin evenly distributed across your feet and your feet in place. I have tried swimming without the backs and it almost broke my feet. Competitors are very strong and having that ridge go through the center of your foot without backing support= all bad.

I have found that wearing finis half booties helps me a lot. It's a bit of a struggle to get your feet in with them on until you're used to it. Especially dry. But I have found with them on and when I'm moving my feet are fine. Regardless of the fit of the monofin, most monofins are very uncomfortable in stationary or dry events. I cant tell you how many times I've gone numb. I think it's just part of the mermaid experience. As you experiment I am sure you will find your body adjusts and you'll figure out what movements (or lack there of) causes it and what doesnt.

These are what I own, I have two pairs. I love em. http://www.amazon.com/FINIS-1-25-001-101-Footbooties/dp/B001GQ2CGM they're also excellent for protecting against blisters and sand.

edit: ps I always get the booties wet first to make it easier to slide in. HALF booties. not full ones.

AniaR
09-09-2014, 12:00 PM
the thing is you cant undo anything you cut. I would try alternatives first :) cutting is pretty permanent.

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:02 PM
It isn't the numbness that I was concerned about so much, as that is something I can deal with. It was the fact that when I removed my feet they were actually blue and swollen, and then my Mermaid Crew refused to let me back into my own tail (I'm too stubborn for my own good). If they weren't turning blue, I wouldn't be worried. I just don't think that this is the safest thing for a foot.

I also hadn't considered cutting out the back straps, as I know I need those to keep my feet in the foot pockets. I was hoping to find a way to give myself a bit more room at the top of the foot pockets so that my ankles weren't quite as cut off from circulation and my feet wouldn't change hues.

I may consider using compression socks though. I've got a pair that I use on airplanes and that usually keeps blood flowing fairly well.

Arella
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I have the same problem with my competitor and don't really have an answer I just try to limit my time in my tail to 2 hours more then that and my feet really go into almost excruciating pain.. :P kinda hard to be a happy mermaid when you feel that much pain

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I have the same problem with my competitor and don't really have an answer I just try to limit my time in my tail to 2 hours more then that and my feet really go into almost excruciating pain.. :P kinda hard to be a happy mermaid when you feel that much pain

That was my maximum time, too. I would start to notice my feet discolored after about an hour and a half. Is this for just dry gigs or do you have problems while swimming, too?

Arella
09-09-2014, 12:20 PM
It's a lot worse for dry events (I'm considering just not doing those for more than an hour) and the longest I've gone is 4 hours. But after 2 I really can't stand it, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance for my next tail I'm looking into different monofins or just getting a bigger size, I figure if it's too big I can wear socks and at least not be in pain.

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:22 PM
It's a lot worse for dry events (I'm considering just not doing those for more than an hour) and the longest I've gone is 4 hours. But after 2 I really can't stand it, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance for my next tail I'm looking into different monofins or just getting a bigger size, I figure if it's too big I can wear socks and at least not be in pain.

I was thinking of doing the same thing for my next tail. I will probably attempt to heat and stretch the mouth of the foot pocket. I'll let you know if that works at all, and if so, then perhaps we've found a good fix for tight-fitting foot pocket issues!

Arella
09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah I don't know why it's such a problem with the competitor :(

Merman Arion
09-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I wonder if it happened because of a lack of communication or a size mistake. Did you give to Raven your right foot size for the competitor?

I gave mine to the Finfolk girls and even so, it's tighter than I thought but I can manage. Yet, no blue feet afterwards, thank god :)

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:30 PM
I wonder if it happened because of a lack of communication or a size mistake. Did you give to Raven your right foot size for the competitor?

I gave mine to the Finfolk girls and even so, it's tighter than I thought but I can manage. Yet, no blue feet afterwards, thank god :)

I had bought two new pairs of shoes three days before giving her my sizing so I knew it was accurate. My problem is that my ankles and feet are slightly wider than normal, and I think that makes the mouth of the foot pockets just too big. It's odd because the pockets themselves fit my feet fine and even have a little extra toe space which is nice. It is literally only the mouth of the pockets that cause me any trouble.

I'm hoping when I go swim tomorrow in it for the first time that it won't give me quite the same issues as it won't be the weight of an entire monofin pressing down on my ankles.

Arella
09-09-2014, 12:43 PM
I think my problem is that I'm a half size so I'm kind of inbetween

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
I think my problem is that I'm a half size so I'm kind of inbetween

That could also very well be it. My feet are really difficult to size as they're wide but short. I find size nine fits best, though next time I'll order up because my ankles seem to be unhappy in a size nine. Hahaha!

AniaR
09-09-2014, 12:46 PM
I think it's unfair to suggest it's a sizing issue Arion, There's only so many sizes for a competitor monofin and the two sizes are pretty different. If she had the smaller size she wouldnt be able to get it on at all. I cant seem to get the finis website to load right now (they have a sale so the site keeps going down) but I dont think this is an issue of getting the wrong monofin. A lot of people's feet are just really uncomfortable in a monofin. To the point that finis created training boards for monofins. I have always felt that most monofins are pretty narrow in the foot pocket area. So I often wondered if wider feet would have an issue wearing them. She may just need to go up a size bigger than she normally would.

This isn't just a common issue with mermaids, it's a common issue with anyone who uses monofins. There are posts dating back a decade on free diving and swimming forums.

Monofins put your feet and legs into unnatural positions and as a mermaid it's magnified . Average people dont just sit in a monofin for hours on end, or lounge in a pool without actively swimming. Get my drift? We use monofins for an unintended purpose so there are unintended issues to deal with.

Maybe you'll find some ideas on these threads from other forums. I just caution you to not make any physical changes to the monofin yet because once you do it voids the monofin warranty, I'm not sure about your tail warranty, and once it's done it can't be undone :( If you haven't already you should contact Raven.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/monofin-footpocket-help.82161/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24353963

http://www.finswimmingbay.com/2012/02/29/monofin-guide/

http://www.fishing.net.nz/spearfishing-freediving/monofins/

http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/monofin-footpockets.78800/

https://depts.washington.edu/design14/wordpress/monofin/

^as you can see, monofin pain is pretty much a given for most people.

Honestly, I personally feel from my experience monofin pain just goes with the territory. I don't know any mermaid who hasnt experienced it at one time or another. So it's just important to figure out what works for you in terms of handling it. I love my booties they make a big difference along with making sure my feet are super lubed up. Sometimes it's just the circumstances. I can do a 4 hour gig and because of how I feel that day and how I move be 100% fine with no issue. Then I could do a 1 hour gig and have mega foot cramps.

The usual applies too: drinking loads of water before hand, take mineral supplements or eat high mineral content food to prevent pain and cramps. A monofin has a "breaking in" period just like a shoe. I think the more you use it the more it'll stretch out and you'll get used to it too.

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Thank you for the links, Raina! I'll definitely be looking into them. Really, my only worry is the discoloration of my feet. I'm a tough cookie but when your feet are literally turning blue that's where I had to draw the line. I'm simply hoping that swimming does not cause similar issues. I have tried contacting Raven but have not yet heard back from her (and I don't want to annoy her with spam). Perhaps I'll send another email and see what she advises. Definitely going up a size next time and getting booties, but I'm hoping that with time and exercise my circulation might improve enough not to cause discoloration. I'm also going to look into the health risks of it. If I can't justify leaving it be, I may simply have to void the warranty. Unfortunately, my feet are worth more to me than the monofin. Hahaha!

It's not the pain, which I expected as I've used monofins before (just not Finis and with different sizing options), but it's the fact that my feet change color that concerns me. Just wondered if anyone had a solution for that which had been previously tested. If not, which it seems that way, I may have to limit tail time or test a few theories out on another monofin. Safety first.

AniaR
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Really, my only worry is the discoloration of my feet

I've only ever had my feet turn red. I think blue is pretty weird (not to make you feel bad!) if it's not a bruise then there might be something more at play than just pressure on your foot. (not to freak you out either, I'm just googling to help try and find you ideas) Sometimes from what I see online, skin that turns blue from pressure, without cold or having a bruise, can be a sign of anemia (low iron). But it does say that blue skin can mean low circulation- just usually it's a result of cold. Hmm. See I think booties might still help because they'll cushion the area but your compression sock idea might help too! Def swimming should help because the movement will boost circulation. And the water will continue to keep your feet lubed up and lessen friction from the foot pockets. Massaging your feet before you put the tail on should help (*is reading from a list of how to boost circulation, lol)

I'll be curious to know if this issue is as severe when you swim. Let us know

Arella
09-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm going to try booties when I do the ren fair :) for me it's nto even to much cramping as much as it is just pain on the back of my heel but not like a blister sort of pain.

Merman Arion
09-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I think it's unfair to suggest it's a sizing issue Arion, There's only so many sizes for a competitor monofin and the two sizes are pretty different.

You're right. I admit I don't know much about feet and monofins. I assumed wrong and I apologize.
I'm hoping that a solution can be found for your problem, Merin.

PearlieMae
09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I think the turning blue issue is lack of circulation - compression from the narrow opening...that would account for the swelling, as well. They seem to make the opening of the footpockets tight to hold them on, and I have wider feet, too, and it gets to be excruciating!

Have you tried lubing your feet really well?

Hope you can work it out! (and work your feet back in!)

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
When I was younger I had some serious circulation issues in my feet. They improved with cardio but I definitely didn't think about that. This could very possibly account for it. I'll have to let you all know what happens once I swim!

MarkF
09-09-2014, 02:10 PM
OK, how about without heat.
Rubber has a stretch memory. You can stretch it with something larger than your foot at the mouth of the pocket, let’s use a piece of PVC tubing that’s just the same size or a little larger than your foot at that point and leave it there. After overnight you remove it, the rubber should remain at that diameter. So when you are not wearing the tail the tubes stay in the pockets saving the size.
That shouldn't bother anyone’s warranty’s.

Hot water will make it return to it's original size.

MarkF
09-09-2014, 02:19 PM
You could even try something a little smaller than your foot if you need a little tension at that cuff, but I thinking there will some shrinkage after removing the tube anyway.

Aziara
09-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm with MarkF. A shoe form or something similar that is slightly larger or even the same size as your foot.

Meilyn
09-09-2014, 05:50 PM
That could also very well be it. My feet are really difficult to size as they're wide but short. I find size nine fits best, though next time I'll order up because my ankles seem to be unhappy in a size nine. Hahaha!

wide and short, sounds like my problem too. But I'm a size 5-6

Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome. I may be doing the same

Mermaid Riia
09-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Ouch... Discoloring is a very bad thing. Like Pearlie said it's because lack of blood circulation. Bruises and blisters are fine, they will eventually go away. But swelling and blue color worry me in your case. In bad cases it might lead to blood clot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AniaR
09-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Have you gotten to swim in it yet?

I've since tried a Mahina Merfin and christomer's mertailor and both were horrendous on my feet. And my feet are thin lol. But I found them both drastically different from my competitor. The more monofins I try the more I believe it's tricky for people to find just the right one for their tootsies.

Mermaid Morgann
09-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Have you gotten to swim in it yet?

I've since tried a Mahina Merfin and christomer's mertailor and both were horrendous on my feet. And my feet are thin lol. But I found them both drastically different from my competitor. The more monofins I try the more I believe it's tricky for people to find just the right one for their tootsies.

I did recently and it was not much better. I have discovered that my compression socks work decently (they don't prevent bruises though, haha) and I managed to go four and a half hours before the bruises and blisters caused trouble, but no swelling! The discoloration was in part due to the cold weather we were facing, so I'll have to test it again during a warmer gig. However, the socks were impossible to slide into the foot pockets even though I soaked them with lubricant, so I couldn't get the foot straps on. The tail stayed just fine but it wouldn't work for swimming. Will have to hunt for a solution in the water, but for now I recommend compression socks for dry gigs!