PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Hero3 Warning

-Annwyn-
09-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Just thought I'd post a heads up because we use a GoPro Hero 3 for our underwater shoots (as well as POV Kendo videos) and it's just packed up on us and stopped working. Totally useless now. No amount of recharging the battery would fix it and a search on the web shows that there are 100's of other users who have experienced the same thing. We could get a new battery,but they're really expensive and doesn't guarantee it would work either. :( So if anyone is thinking about getting one, don't!

So we've had to resort to our original GoPro, which is less quality compared to the Hero3.

However, there is a silver lining to this news, because we have been searching for a new camera and found a GoPro replica that is 1/4 of the price, fits all the GoPro accessories and outputs a better quality image, AND has an LCD screen at the back to boot! It's called the "SJ4000" if anyone is curious. Here is a sample of what it can do: http://youtu.be/U0Ud7uTgSfY
Not a bad, if not cheaper, alternative.

Edit: Oh yeah, I should also mention that there are ripoffs of the SJ4000, so if you're in the market, learn to tell the genuine from the fakes. :)

shimmygoddess
09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Another downfall with the Go pro..is that it crashes alot. I read all the reviews and still bought mine. The battery does not last long and still locks up , but it is still working for now...sigh...wish they would fix all their bugs. Have you tried contacting Customer Service? I remember once mine would not work at all, but we did something and it started again.

-Annwyn-
09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Another downfall with the Go pro..is that it crashes alot. I read all the reviews and still bought mine. The battery does not last long and still locks up , but it is still working for now...sigh...wish they would fix all their bugs. Have you tried contacting Customer Service? I remember once mine would not work at all, but we did something and it started again.

It's out of warranty (That'd be right...) . Going the customer service would be futile, and would end up probably costing more then the new camera will.

shimmygoddess
09-11-2014, 09:03 AM
:( I remember researching other underwater cameras last year...I think if/when mine craps out, going with something completely different. I do think I remember seeing the replica online too, but was worried to buy it instead. Good luck..let us know how it works

-Annwyn-
09-11-2014, 09:06 AM
I will certainly be doing that! :D

AniaR
09-11-2014, 10:11 AM
We borrowed one to try out and it crashed sooooooo much!

Mermaid Galene
09-11-2014, 10:17 AM
So far our Hero 3+ is working fine; hope it continues to! We bought it last year, so maybe it has fewer problems than the current crop.

MermanOliver
09-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Had a lot of crashes with my Hero3, too. Turned out to be an incompatibility issue with some types of 64GB cards. Sticking to 32GB solved the problem for me, and the latest firmware update seems to have tackled that, too.
Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Echidna
09-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I'll have to invest in my own underwater camera soon.
And now I'm totally unsure what to go for :(

An older GoPro version?
The SJ4000? (the name alone is disheartening lol)

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
09-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I bought the Olympus TG-850 and will test it out soon in the water. + side? It has a screen you can flip up, so you can make underwater selfies ;)

AniaR
09-11-2014, 05:56 PM
not to derail but our underwater camera just died after FIVE YEARS. That thing was a trooper. I got my money out of it lol. The door for the battery and SD card broke off and wont replace. :( the onyl downside I found to the one I had was short battery life but man I made that thing work. lol.

I'd love to own a gopro but I think they are overrated. But it's nice to have a device that is meant for underwater video cuz other camera chew through the battery and dont always get the highest quality. And I like all the go pro attachments. Red filters make pool water look SO much better/

Fifi Tigg
09-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I own a GoPro 3+ and love it! So easy to use and you can sync it will your iPad if you want see what's happening live :)

Winged Mermaid
09-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I wonder if this has to do with the model? Cause I have the black model and it only froze up on me twice- once when I fist got it and once when I got the touchscreen backpak- and I updated the software and it was fixed both times. One thing I learned from reading about gopro issues- you HAVE TO update the software! Otherwise you could end up with a lot of problems, including it freezing.

Also I got batteries from Wasabi power- two batteries, a wall charger, and a car charger for $24. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AAIPT76?pc_redir=1410401629&robot_redir=1) The ones I got I can't tell the difference between them and the brand name battery in terms of performance.

Mermaid Galene
09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Same here! I have the black GoPro 3 and some extra Wasabi batteries. I use the GoPro app on my iphone to view what I'm filming - works great for above water, but the wifi signal won't carry underwater. I just have to wing it for underwater shots.

Capt Nemo
09-11-2014, 07:42 PM
If I have problems, I just wait till EAA, when GoPro brings their big truck and factory reps, and 6 5 foot tall pallets of cameras and gear.