PDA

View Full Version : Yikes Mertailor bad review!

Firemaid
09-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Yikes! This Mertailor review is really bad. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1227-Mertailor&p=147848#post147848
I feel just horrible for the mermaid who paid do much for this.
It's shocking how bad the craftsmanship is. I feel really great about the price and quality of Sirenalia tails after seeing this.

I'm sorry mermaid Merin that this happened. I have some insight for you, that maybe can help a little.

-Don't use sil poxy to repair!!! It's a huge ripoff (it's just 100% silicone, the exact same thing the sell at the hardware store) and it doesn't work that well. I recommend just using more Dragonskin, this will hold up the best and give you the a more solid bond. If you email me I can walk you through the best way to do this.

-Use a sharp exaco knife to make the side fins match.

- If you email me I can explain how to paint the unpainted edges with the dragonskin you'll already have for repairs.

-The tail is probably one inch smaller on purpose, I do this as well to make sure they are a snug fit, he should have let you know before hand though.

-Nothing is "melted" That is not how silicone works. What you are seeing that looks melted is where they where sloppy with uncured silicone. Really sloppy.

I hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of what happened with your tail. Please feel free to contact me for any advice, I happy to help.

My Email address is Maria @ Sirenalia.com (no spaces)

MermaidCecelia
09-13-2014, 06:22 PM
yikes is right! its a shame too, when i saw the final product photo on erics facebook page it looked goregous

Merman Arion
09-13-2014, 06:39 PM
I can not understand why after so many years of practice and working his ways around silicone, someone as conceited as Eric, can make such bad work on a tail.
This is beyond my understanding :doh:

Yulia
09-13-2014, 06:40 PM
And for that huuuuuge amount of money...

MermaidCecelia
09-13-2014, 06:49 PM
thats horrible to spend 3k on a tail with all those inperfections plus two bras that cant even be worn! , he should have noticed himself that he made mistakes in the tail and restarted it ya know or fix it up

Mermaid Corabelle
09-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Oh my. So sorry this happened to you Merin! *hugs* I can not believe this shoddy job! I hope that others who are considering which tailmaker to go with read your review, and make the educated decision to order from someone more reputable. He may be well-known, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't put his all into crafting something as special as a tail. These things are not cheap, and I would be furious if I saved and spent that much money on something that special and have so many issues with it. I hope the repairs are not that difficult for you to do, so your mermaids can swim in a tail they can be proud of and one that's durable.

PearlieMae
09-13-2014, 07:57 PM
That is ridiculously bad! Shoddy workmanship all around.

Mermaid Wesley
09-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I've seen carribean pearl's tail so I know he is capable of great work. The unfortunate thing is that he is really inconsistent and doesn't put all his effort into every tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Arion
09-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I've seen carribean pearl's tail so I know he is capable of great work. The unfortunate thing is that he is really inconsistent and doesn't put all his effort into every tail.

Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Carribean Pearl's tail is falling apart and as a result, she never swims in it.

MermaidCecelia
09-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I pray my tail stays in good condition , I went on my 5th swim the other day , hit a side of my fin off my pool ladder two times on accident and I some paint scraped off and its showing thru pink

Mermaid Melusinah
09-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Took a look at the pic on the review. did any one else notice that one hip fin is LARGE compared to other AND sits much higher on the hip :/ That is so disappointing... :/

Theobromine
09-13-2014, 11:24 PM
That is insane. I would demand a refund.

MermaidCecelia
09-13-2014, 11:30 PM
When I got my tail he sent this like huge packet that pretty much says overall it can't be refunded and returned and stuff (and half a page of paper on tail care and like 4 business cards )

SeaGlass Siren
09-14-2014, 12:14 AM
what about repair?

Mermaid Morgann
09-14-2014, 01:45 AM
I laughed when I read through his packet because I understood exactly why he sends it out. Thanks for the support, guys. The worst of it really was losing a fin before ever swimming in it. /: Definitely not what I was expecting! Some of his work is beautiful but I fear that he doesn't care much. He gets so much business that losing one customer over a crap job won't hurt him, as long as it's not someone famous. That and he already got the money so it doesn't matter what quality the tail is, right? Just a guy who came across as quite careless to me. I pray anyone else who got a tail from him doesn't have to go through this! It's traumatic for any mermaid. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

He offered to repaint it but said some of my issues are just "standard from the molds." Don't want to know what sort of mold he is using. My personal tail, a Merbella, is virtually flawless, so his molds must be overused considerably (or just not made as well).

Firemaid, thanks for the info! I assumed it had melted together in shipping because I like to believe that no tailmaker would just ship it like that but I've given up on the thought now. I'll definitely be emailing you soon since you seem to have a good idea of how I can go about fixing this up for my Siren Tide girls. :( Fingers crossed we can make something decent out of it! Once we touch up the spot where the fin fell off and paint it perhaps I'll share a few pictures. It will be one interesting scar when we are done! I also have big plans for the fin itself so if all goes well now, it might turn into something kind of cool. This nightmare will be made well, so help me!

Mermaid Wesley
09-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Carribean Pearl's tail is falling apart and as a result, she never swims in it.
Ahhhhh well she wore it At the pacific coast mermaid festival and it looks fine but I did not see her swim in it. So that's one thing.

Echidna
09-14-2014, 03:57 AM
ugh, this is the scary thing about buying a tail, especially a really expensive one.
You never know what you will get, and no refunds :/

About the fibers/hair issue, it sounds like he has a cat/dog.
It's hard to get rid of pet hair, it always floats around and gets onto everything.

As a tailmaking business, one should make an extra effort to not paint hairs in though.

Mer-Crazy
09-14-2014, 05:05 AM
ugh, this is the scary thing about buying a tail, especially a really expensive one.

About the fibers/hair issue, it sounds like he has a cat/dog.
It's hard to get rid of pet hair, it always floats around and gets onto everything.

As a tailmaking business, one should make an extra effort to not paint hairs in though.
He has 2 dobermans which I have seen lying on/around his tails in pictures.

Echidna
09-14-2014, 05:52 AM
I thought cats because cats will always be curious and sit on everything you handle (I have no tail or clothes that aren't covered in cat hairs).
It's one thing to let your pets on your personal things, but if you sell something, you should keep 'em away from it.

If those guys are walking over non-cured silicone, for example, that could very well explain some of the messed up pieces we've seen.

Merman Arion
09-14-2014, 06:05 AM
He has 2 dobermans which I have seen lying on/around his tails in pictures.

If I was a client, I would have never allowed that to happen. I mean, you don't know where those pawns have been!!! I don't really trust dogs. They can piss everywhere if they feel like it, even on a tail. Fuck no!

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
09-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Not to mention their nails are really hard/sharp and can easily damage the tails. =/

Trident True
09-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Eric will lead his business to his own self destruction. he should take ALL tail orders seriously and THIS seriously at NO doubt is not Quality. when you are on the world wide net and you read negative reviews it will push customers away... the question is how many? he should remake this tail FREE OF CHARGE this is absolutely appalling and if I was the customer of this tail. I would take LEGAL ACTION.

Yulia
09-14-2014, 01:23 PM
I looked at some negative reviews of Mertailors tails on youtube, and it's really horrible how much hate they get.
A bunch of dislikes and comments about how the owner is "too picky", and how it's her fault and not his.

It's usually the same on his facebook page, as soon as anyone writes something negative, they got tons of hate. I mean really, come on.

Merman Arion
09-14-2014, 01:53 PM
It's usually the same on his facebook page, as soon as anyone writes something negative, they got tons of hate. I mean really, come on.

"Love is blind" :doh: :rolleyes:

Mermaid Morgann
09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
It's also disappointing because we've been swimming in the tail twice and the paint around the fins is coming off drastically. Does anyone know a good paint sealant to put over silicone? My Merbella's tail has something, it's very shiny and slick, but the Mertailor tail is just painted silicone without any sort of topcoat.

Chrissy
09-15-2014, 09:15 AM
I am so sorry this happened. The tail w/o the flaws is really a stunning design and the colors you picked are beautiful. I wish he would have poured more heart into making this tail. I think he just gets so many orders and people working now and maybe he doesn't know how to manage a business and over see his product before it goes out. I would much rather get an email saying that they had to start over b/c some of the scales were more stretched out then he would like or they weren't 100% happy with the tail/top going out at this time, rather then send the tail and say "oh well you get what you get" that is just bad business. I was debating ordering a custom tail from his recently, but after seeing this I cant bring myself to do it. There is no guarantee that I will get the same quality as one of his "model" mermaids......I cant take that risk with that amount of money! I guess I will wait to hear back from FinFolk. Once again beautiful design, so sorry mertailor didn't put the "love" in it that it deserves

Mermaid Morgann
09-15-2014, 09:23 AM
I am so sorry this happened. The tail w/o the flaws is really a stunning design and the colors you picked are beautiful. I wish he would have poured more heart into making this tail. I think he just gets so many orders and people working now and maybe he doesn't know how to manage a business and over see his product before it goes out. I would much rather get an email saying that they had to start over b/c some of the scales were more stretched out then he would like or they weren't 100% happy with the tail/top going out at this time, rather then send the tail and say "oh well you get what you get" that is just bad business. I was debating ordering a custom tail from his recently, but after seeing this I cant bring myself to do it. There is no guarantee that I will get the same quality as one of his "model" mermaids......I cant take that risk with that amount of money! I guess I will wait to hear back from FinFolk. Once again beautiful design, so sorry mertailor didn't put the "love" in it that it deserves

Thanks! It's been quite a struggle but we are making the best of a tough situation and are gonna do as many repairs as possible ourselves before Mertailor takes the tail to fix up. He does feel bad and personally responsible and is going to make it right once he can, which is kind. Fins crossed we can get this whole thing sorted!

However, I do recommend ordering from another tailmaker if you want to be entirely safe. Merbella Studios is my top recommendation but slots there are near impossible. You can try FinFolk, Mernation, or even Sirenalia. They're all very good. Or you can attempt to get one from FlipTails. Haven't heard much from them but their work usually looks very nice.

PearlieMae
09-15-2014, 09:44 AM
There's also Jazz and Jessica, and Julz is gearing up to make silicone tails, now, too! And probably more than a few talented emerging tailmakers I've forgotten to mention. I hope to be among the tailmakers before too long, as well!

I'm not sure exactly what Merbellas is using to topcoat their tails, but it's silicone...I'm just not sure what type they use. I topcoated mine in regular dragonskin...Smooth On recommended a few different kinds, but I haven't tested them yet.

MermaidCecelia
09-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Eric will lead his business to his own self destruction. he should take ALL tail orders seriously and THIS seriously at NO doubt is not Quality. when you are on the world wide net and you read negative reviews it will push customers away... the question is how many? he should remake this tail FREE OF CHARGE this is absolutely appalling and if I was the customer of this tail. I would take LEGAL ACTION.
I agree that he should of corrected his error, ya it nay of cost him a bit extra of his own profit to remake it and get more materials , but it would be so much easier on his reputation to remake if before sending it out if there was errors to it
All tail nakers I'm sure will make errors but its easier on everyone to own up to them at least

Mermaid Morgann
09-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree that he should of corrected his error, ya it nay of cost him a bit extra of his own profit to remake it and get more materials , but it would be so much easier on his reputation to remake if before sending it out if there was errors to it
All tail nakers I'm sure will make errors but its easier on everyone to own up to them at least

My best guess is that he was not aware of them and did not look over the tail thoroughly before shipping it out.

PearlieMae
09-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Then that's his fault for lack of quality control. I NEVER send anything out (referring to photography or items in my Etsy shop) without a thorough quality check.

Merman Arion
09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Then that's his fault for lack of quality control. I NEVER send anything out (referring to photography or items in my Etsy shop) without a thorough quality check.

There. I agree with Pearlie :clap:

Firemaid
09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
It's also disappointing because we've been swimming in the tail twice and the paint around the fins is coming off drastically. Does anyone know a good paint sealant to put over silicone? My Merbella's tail has something, it's very shiny and slick, but the Mertailor tail is just painted silicone without any sort of topcoat.

The only thing you should paint your tail with is DRAGONSKIN SILICONE, there is no sealant, no glue, no paint.

Mermaid Wesley
09-15-2014, 01:48 PM
the shineyness would just be very smooth silicone :)

PearlieMae
09-15-2014, 03:41 PM
The Smooth On rep told me Ecoflex silicone would make a good slime coat.

AniaR
09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
clear coat is what many people put over top of their painted tails.

Seatan
09-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Though Finfolk offered to jump through hoops to make sure my tail was what I wanted--and there wasn't even anything actually wrong with it. It just wasn't what I wanted when I actually got it. Eric's just doesn't give a crap. There is no other explanation for why this happens over and over again.

Seatan
09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
I am smooth coating mine in regular dragonskin also. A thin layer comes out very shiny and nice.

Prince Calypso
09-15-2014, 10:24 PM
see now i'm really scared
I'm planning on buying one of the mertailor's neoprene silicone tails to replace my fishbutt tail till i can save up enough money to either make my own or buy one from FinFolk Productions
there is no one who offers even simplistic tails for under 600$ out there right now and if i want to a tail Eric is my only choice at the moment as far as i know.
but i'm scared to invest that 530$ and order a tail from him only to receive something shitty and crappily made.
i get there are a lot of things that can go wrong making a tail, seen and unforeseen, and then the matter of how its treated while its being ships. shit happens
but idk if i can invest that kind of money into a product that is going to arrive falling apart

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm planning on buying one of the mertailor's neoprene silicone tails to replace my fishbutt tail till i can save up enough money to either make my own or buy one from FinFolk Productions
there is no one who offers even simplistic tails for under 600$ out there right now and if i want to a tail Eric is my only choice at the moment as far as i know.
but i'm scared to invest that 530$ and order a tail from him only to receive something shitty and crappily made.
i get there are a lot of things that can go wrong making a tail, seen and unforeseen, and then the matter of how its treated while its being ships. shit happens
but idk if i can invest that kind of money into a product that is going to arrive falling apart
Ya I know how ya feel I was terrified that I would receive my tail in ruins or poor measurements
Just go with what you feel comfortable with
I'm satisfied with my tail cause it was how I wanted it
( I got the silicone neoprene model I've posted a review ) and from others with that model they seem to be holding up okay
Just discide what you feel comfortable with , when you want it and how much your willing to spend , don't feel in rush to discide

Chrissy
09-16-2014, 08:53 AM

I could be be wrong but with the reviews that I have read it seems that his neoprin/silicone and partial silicone tails don't seem to have as many complaints. It seems, to me, that if you want a custom silicone tail is where you will have your problems. I have to go back and retread some things but it seems the more expensive the tail the less love? Or are the other ones so mass produced that they don't need the attention?

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 08:59 AM
I could be be wrong but with the reviews that I have read it seems that his neoprin/silicone and partial silicone tails don't seem to have as many complaints. It seems, to me, that if you want a custom silicone tail is where you will have your problems. I have to go back and retread some things but it seems the more expensive the tail the less love? Or are the other ones so mass produced that they don't need the attention?
In some of the older reviews people were unsatisfied , some were okay, tbh the ones for the silicone neoprene tails the ones that are positive sent detailed to tell , and no pics are provided , I check out the mertailor tag on Instagram tumblr etc where people seem like they love them though, then theres the mertsilor reviews on his site , yes strictly good reviews obviously but still some pretty satisfied people

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
yes strictly good reviews obviously but still some pretty satisfied people

Usually, people always say they are satisfied the first week they got their tails. Are they still happy after a month or two when trouble arise?

That's the big question... :rolleyes:

Just saying.

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Usually, people say they are always satisfied the first week they got their tails. Are they still happy after a month or two when trouble arise?

That's the big question... :rolleyes:

Just saying.
That IS a good question cause some people who review you see them a year later (online I mean) and they say they are still satisfied while others who review first week sent heard from again

Mermaid Morgann
09-16-2014, 09:32 AM
The people/reviews I know of for them were not very positive. We ordered our silicone tail thinking the more expensive option would be a better quality. However, it is true that he is the most affordable, but I believe saving a little extra for guaranteed quality is better than going through the struggles of a tail that doesn't work the way it should.

Seatan
09-16-2014, 09:39 AM
In the end, it doesn't matter if some were positive--the sheer number of negative reviews show you that it's not worth the chance. One or two bad reviews along the year is one thing...especially if it was an artistic problem rather than structural. But when something like 25-50% of customers have problems... Beware!

-Annwyn-
09-16-2014, 09:39 AM
I've had my mertailor silicone tail for well over a year now and it's as lovely as the day I got it.

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Agreed I discided to take the risk which was VERY risky for mine, who knows if its quality improvement or just sheer luck
I'd say just continue saying up to afford a tail from another maker even if its a longer time to get the finfolk tail @prince calypso
It will prob be more worth it

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I've had my mertailor silicone tail for well over a year now and it's as lovely as the day I got it.

I would be curious to see some "after" pictures.

Yulia
09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Just remember that he doesn't actually use neoprene, and that it's neoprin. Many have had problems with it stretching out too much.

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Does neoprin have a significant different appearance to neoprene ?

Seatan
09-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Not really. It's the stretch that is highly different. You know how you stretch some materials and they pop back into place while others stay stretched out? Neoprin stays stretched out. Not sure what Mertailor uses from personal experience, but neoprin looks pretty close to certain thicknesses of neoprene. Of course, neoprene can look very different depending on thickness and quality. It will always pop back, tho, while neoprin will not.

My stupid computer keeps auto correcting neoprin to neoprene, LOL.

MermaidCecelia
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Not really. It's the stretch that is highly different. You know how you stretch some materials and they pop back into place while others stay stretched out? Neoprin stays stretched out. Not sure what Mertailor uses from personal experience, but neoprin looks pretty close to certain thicknesses of neoprene. Of course, neoprene can look very different depending on thickness and quality. It will always pop back, tho, while neoprin will not.

My stupid computer keeps auto correcting neoprin to neoprene, LOL.
If that's the case that I'm almost sure its neoprene that's what I'm my tail

Kishiko
09-16-2014, 09:59 AM
If you look at the edge of the fabric neoPRENE has a thick rubber inside while neoPRIN has little fibers connecting the two sides

ShyMer
09-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Kinda going on a tangent, but does it seem to anyone else that his neoprene tail line has actually been more consistent than his full silicone line?
Also I feel like we've been seeing some of the same errors happen pretty frequently, like the flukes appear to be crooked a lot of the time.

Chrissy
09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
He says in his description of those tail that it is a "neoprene like" material

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 01:18 PM
He says in his description of those tail that it is a "neoprene like" material

Neoprene like = Neoprin.

Mermaid Wesley
09-16-2014, 01:51 PM
I just saw a brand new partial silicone mertailor recently. Her first time putting it on the silicone tore where she pulled it up, thinking she needed to be more careful she didn't complain. Then on her second swim she tugged it up as it started to slip down and tore another piece. The other one I saw had been made too short so she added a strip of sequined fabric to the waist. They were very pretty under the water but the owners all had their complaints. And yes I believe they were neoprin. Not neoprene

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
I just saw a brand new partial silicone mertailor recently. Her first time putting it on the silicone tore where she pulled it up, thinking she needed to be more careful she didn't complain. Then on her second swim she tugged it up as it started to slip down and tore another piece. The other one I saw had been made too short so she added a strip of sequined fabric to the waist. They were very pretty under the water but the owners all had their complaints. And yes I believe they were neoprin. Not neoprene.

OMG... :doh:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzw233FSR1qzcuvq.gif

Chrissy
09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Neoprene like = Neoprin.

Exactly :thumbdown:

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Exactly. I sent him an email a while back asking for clarification. I specifically asked him if he used neoprene instead of neoprin because I knew the difference between the two and wanted to double check. The response I got was (of course) not a clear yes or no. He said it was a lovely fabric almost identical to neoprene, and how it was made to be comfortable to buyers, high quality material etc etc. So obviously not using real neoprene.

I can't...

http://www.gifwave.com/media/97128/homestuck-karkat-headdesk.gif

Mermaid Wesley
09-16-2014, 05:04 PM
The best part is neoprin is only similar to neoprene in spelling. They are COMPLETELY different.

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 05:12 PM
The best part is neoprin is only similar to neoprene in spelling. They are COMPLETELY different.

That's the problem : ignorant people tend to assume that they are both alike because of the similar sounding while in fact, they ARE NOT :doh:

AniaR
09-16-2014, 05:25 PM
It's too bad, I saw Christomer's tail in person and it was AMAZING I was genuinely taken aback. I even swam in it. I was floored by how durable and well made it was.

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 05:34 PM
It's too bad, I saw Christomer's tail in person and it was AMAZING I was genuinely taken aback. I even swam in it. I was floored by how durable and well made it was.

Not even surprised here... :rolleyes:

Christomer has the money, know people and is in charge of NCMerfest. Eric wasn't going to mess with such client, especially if he wants to be there. It's just confirming that he's choosing the people where to put 100% of sweat in the commissioned tail.

Mermaid Melusinah
09-16-2014, 05:54 PM
To clear the air on the NeoPRIN vs. NeoPRENE discussion..... VIDEO to show differences!! I know this will REALLY help most of you! show the world! Share the TRUTH!
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3374-Neoprene-Vs-Neoprin&highlight=neoprene+neoprin

AniaR
09-16-2014, 06:28 PM
great article about neopRENE http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plastics-rubber/traits-applications-neoprene :)

lynsea
09-16-2014, 07:12 PM
The thing is, he uses Sil-poxy to bond his fins to the body. You can see it in some pictures he posted recently where the tubes are being used to support the fins he just attached to the body. Clearly, these things aren't even being attached with the right material to begin with in addition to not being attached fully.

AniaR
09-16-2014, 07:30 PM
it's what smoothon recommends for attaching fins etc I have messaged them personally about it. (not to defend mertailor, I just think there's a lot of ignorance about what works with silicone and what doesnt based on drama left over from old alex plus tails etc). That time my fin came off I sent an email.

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Christomer has the money, know people and is in charge of NCMerfest. Eric wasn't going to mess with such client, especially if he wants to be there. It's just confirming that he's choosing the people where to put 100% of sweat in the commissioned tail.

i had the exact same conversation with a friend of mine. she was telling me about the mertailor like i didn't already know who he was and asking why i didn't get a tell made by him. i told her that one i didn't have the money and two it really just seemed like people who could publicize for Eric and were semi famous in the mermaid community were the ones who got tails with 100% effort put into them.
I'm not trying to bad mouth Eric or anything but i just wish he treated his costumers with a bit more care.

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Ya I know how ya feel I was terrified that I would receive my tail in ruins or poor measurements
Just go with what you feel comfortable with
I'm satisfied with my tail cause it was how I wanted it
( I got the silicone neoprene model I've posted a review ) and from others with that model they seem to be holding up okay
Just discide what you feel comfortable with , when you want it and how much your willing to spend , don't feel in rush to discide

I read your review and lol I'm gonn abe ordering the exact same tail lol
your tail looks like it came out pretty damn good and ive also read some of the other reviews for the neoprene(neoprin) silicone tails and they are fairly good enough that i'm a little less worried.
so i think i'm going to order the tail but when i get money for a complete silicone tail I'm most likely gonna go with finfolk productions if i don't make my own

Seatan
09-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Prince Calypso, that really makes me all worry-ish inside. Pease think about it. I don't want you to get a bad tail, and he produces a LOT of bad tails. Neoprin is NEVER good. Imagine if you had a skin tight bathing suit then you stretched it out and, instead of popping back, it stayed stretched. That is what will happen with neoprin. There is no excuse to use neoprin except for being cheap. It is not an appropriate fabric for tails. Also, the number of bad reviews out there really does say something. It says he doesn't care about customer service, which mean he doesn't care about customers. I really am no enemy of Eric... I don't really know much about the guy and wasn't around back in the good old days when some of the craziest stuff went down. But I have seen SO many mer be disappointed... I just don't want you to be one more. You're awesome and I want your money to be worth it.

FinFolk bent over backward to make me a happy mer... that's what a good tail maker, who loves the mer community, will do--and also what any good company will do.

MerEmma
09-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Right now there aren't many neoprene/silicone mixture tails out there though is there? Not fighting FOR Eric (I'm in the same boat as you, Seavanna) but what other options are there currently? I mean you can get basic neoprene ones but I can't think of another company offering one right now. Discluding Merbellas because right now they aren't offering them...? It sucks that they aren't more popular, but I know there are reasons why for sure. Difficulty drying, I remember reading how troublesome it is to get silicone and neoprene stuck together... :/

shimmygoddess
09-16-2014, 10:20 PM
yep!!!

Mermaid Jaffa
09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
So Mertailor only works for famous and rich people? Well that kinda sucks. I do love his flukes as they are more realistic looking, I do love other tailmakers' flukes too but his are less fantasy and more fishy looking.

Atlantis
09-16-2014, 10:58 PM
I have a listing for a smooth neoprene/silicone tail skin here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/183842608/silicone-neoprene-swimming-mermaid-tail?

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Prince Calypso, that really makes me all worry-ish inside. Pease think about it. I don't want you to get a bad tail, and he produces a LOT of bad tails. Neoprin is NEVER good. Imagine if you had a skin tight bathing suit then you stretched it out and, instead of popping back, it stayed stretched. That is what will happen with neoprin. There is no excuse to use neoprin except for being cheap. It is not an appropriate fabric for tails. Also, the number of bad reviews out there really does say something. It says he doesn't care about customer service, which mean he doesn't care about customers. I really am no enemy of Eric... I don't really know much about the guy and wasn't around back in the good old days when some of the craziest stuff went down. But I have seen SO many mer be disappointed... I just don't want you to be one more. You're awesome and I want your money to be worth it.

FinFolk bent over backward to make me a happy mer... that's what a good tail maker, who loves the mer community, will do--and also what any good company will do.

I get what your saying, and if there were cheaper options i would totally go with that but there aren't. my fishbutt tail had one more good use in it but its falling apart, even after my attempts to fix it after it was torn by the movers when we moved. 530 is a lot of money but i don't have the money to even save up for a finfolk tail just yet.
if i order the tail and it come out bad then its my own fault and but i'm going to try and have faith that it will be fine. can't be a mermaid without a tail and Eric is the only one offering one for cheap enough to not put a dent in my wallet.

Right now there aren't many neoprene/silicone mixture tails out there though is there? Not fighting FOR Eric (I'm in the same boat as you, Seavanna) but what other options are there currently? I mean you can get basic neoprene ones but I can't think of another company offering one right now. Discluding Merbellas because right now they aren't offering them...? It sucks that they aren't more popular, but I know there are reasons why for sure. Difficulty drying, I remember reading how troublesome it is to get silicone and neoprene stuck together... :/

that's my point. if there were another option, someone more reputable, who didn't have so many complaints i would of course go with the latter option but as of right now there isn't so i'm kinda at a loss here. Eric has the market cornered as afar as offering different kinds of tails at different prices, the silicone/neoprin and partial silicone are literally my best options as far as having a new tail to replace my fishbutt one until such time as i can save up the money for a finfolk tail or make my own with with run me just about as much
and there seem to honestly be far less complaints about the neoprin/silicone and partial silicone tails then there are for the fully silicone tails. i think someone said it best earlier in the post
it seems like the more expensive the tail the less time and effort go into it, not that i'm knocking Eric or anything but the stats don't lie.

MerEmma
09-16-2014, 11:08 PM
I have a listing for a smooth neoprene/silicone tail skin here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/183842608/silicone-neoprene-swimming-mermaid-tail?

Yayyy! Happy to see another option! :D

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Has anyone just read WHAT HE JUST WROTE???
That MORON is good to make people believe that NEOPRIN is a good material while we all know IT IS NOT!

"Hello Facebook, Eric here! I wanted to personally reach out to my past, current, and future customers. Making tails and other accessories for over 11 years, I have learned a lot and I am very thankful for that. I guess you could call what I am about to discuss a "Tail Tip"! How about that, a "Mertailor Tail Tip" of the day:

My company, Mertailor, offers a product called the "Silicone Neoprene Mermaid Tail", which is made from Dragon Skin Silicone and a "Neoprene like lining" on the inside. And this is not called ''Neoprin". Neoprin was a term that was made up years ago by fabric houses in New York. Its technical term is "Spacer". Spacer is used in all types of sportswear and undergarments, but also has many other uses. It is a very soft, stretching, padding like material that is used as a backing, lining, and even finished products, which many of us use on a daily basis. Unlike Neoprene rubber, Spacer is a constructed material that has fibers in between two layers of Nylon/Polyester Spandex.

I started making my own, personal tails years ago, made from latex and Neoprene (which is used in scuba diving wetsuits) then I tried using Spacer, which I fell in loved with. I stopped using Neoprene because strangely enough, it does not work good for a mermaid tail. Not only does the Neoprene make the tail positively buoyant, it also made it much more expensive. Not to mention how thick and difficult the Neoprene and Silicone rubber was to work with. I felt like it made a bulky product. The Neoprene rubber also made it difficult for Dragon Skin Silicone to cure against (most special effects artists would understand this as Dragon Skin Silicone is a platinum based silicone that does not like to cure against other types of rubbers such as Urethanes and Neoprenes) or attach to.

There are many types of Spacer available on the market and I have tried them all, both personally and professionally. Spacer is a fabulous medium to work with! Silicone will comfortably cure to the material, the Silicone will create more of a permanent bond to the material which attaching to the fibers, it has an amazing stretch, it is nice and soft, and fairly affordable.

The point of this post is to set the record straight and to give my honest personal and professional opinions on the the subject. While Neoprene might seem like a great material to use behind Silicone rubber for a strong lining, I do not believe that it is.

When the Dragon Skin Silicone is poured on top of the Spacer, it is poured on the Spacer in thick layers that create a very nice, thick, strong material, while maintaining substantially impressive stretch and a strong and durable surface.

I have had many personal tails that were created out of Silicone and Spacer. I loved them and still prefer them over a full silicone tail as they are easier to put on. With that said, I would not sell a product to my customers that I would not use in my own personal tails or for my family and close friends.

Take it as you wish, we all have our own opinions. However, working with these materials every day, in and out of water, on various body types, etc. I definitely have a good understanding of how they all work and mesh together. I have sold hundreds of the Silicone Neoprene Tails that my customers just love! I want everyone to love their products from Mertailor, I truly do! Making dreams come true and being creative is very important to me. That is what makes me keep pumping out tails and shipping them all over the world!

There is nothing more to this post then to give useful information. There is pointing fingers or trying to upset anyone. I hope that this answers some of your questions as to why I choose to use Spacer! "

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 11:13 PM
lol yeah eric has spies all over mernetwork lol

Kishiko
09-16-2014, 11:17 PM
So he's obviously been creeping on this forum... My question is if he is "so sure and proud" of this "spacer" why does he still call it a "silicone neoprene" tail? :thinks:

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
to run a good buiness you have to stretch the truth a bit i guess
*shrugs*

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
So he's obviously been creeping on this forum... My question is if he is "so sure and proud" of this "spacer" why does he still call it a "silicone neoprene" tail? :thinks:

Because he's a scammer and a liar? :doh:
That guy is so breathing on making up lies. His lack of integrity disgusts me.

to run a good buiness you have to stretch the truth a bit I guess
*shrugs*

:nocomment:

AniaR
09-16-2014, 11:30 PM
are there any complaints about current tails used with neoprin (spacer) ? I had a bad experience, but neoprin + alexplus , maybe it had to do with it being alex plus and not regular silicone or latex? Im curious if there are complaints about REAL silicone/latex being used on neoprin.

I can understand what he's saying because I know a lot of people with neoprene silicone tails complain that the silicone eventually separates, and I know for tail makers who were able to make it work it came from loads of extra reinforcing and sewing etc which made them too much work.

Honestly there's so much info out there about it now I feel like it's buyer beware. People have seen the photos and videos and some will still buy anyway so that's up to them

Prince Calypso
09-16-2014, 11:37 PM
are there any complaints about current tails used with neoprin (spacer) ? I had a bad experience, but neoprin + alexplus , maybe it had to do with it being alex plus and not regular silicone or latex? Im curious if there are complaints about REAL silicone/latex being used on neoprin.

I can understand what he's saying because I know a lot of people with neoprene silicone tails complain that the silicone eventually separates, and I know for tail makers who were able to make it work it came from loads of extra reinforcing and sewing etc which made them too much work.

Honestly there's so much info out there about it now I feel like it's buyer beware. People have seen the photos and videos and some will still buy anyway so that's up to them

I agree, i want to see the complaints about those particular kind of tails
yes there it is taking a chance but with no other options, what can i do. if i can come across a silicone tail on ebay or esty that is in my sides and a color that i want for under 600$ then fuck yeah i'm jumping on that shit like a fat kid on a all you can eat buffet.
but if not i'm going to have to get the tail from Eric

Merman Arion
09-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Someone shot me right now, please! :headwall:

MermaidCelesteFL
09-16-2014, 11:55 PM
... and the "no return policy" is the reason why I went with Mermaid Creations. If Jesse's tails fall apart, you can mail it back to him, and he'll fix it. I wish more tailmakers had lifetime warranties.

AniaR
09-17-2014, 01:28 AM
Well at least he's actually listening to feedback instead of deleting the comments, and making an effort to at least put some more info up on the website. Honestly folks, as much as people here don't like him or how he operates you gotta admit that's at least improvement!

I had read there are different quality neoprin or spacers whatever you wanna call it. I posted a link on here somewhere but I can't seem to track it down. I am curious if quality plays a role too. It's hard to google neoprin because google auto changes it to neoprene >.<

ShyMer
09-17-2014, 02:11 AM
I made my tail with a "spacer". The store I bought it from labeled it neoprene... I chose to go ahead and use it anyway rather than try to fight them over it.

It's cheaper and easier to sew than real neoprene, which is great for him.

It hasn't caused me any problems yet, though it does take forever to dry. Stretch doesn't seem to be a problem for me yet, but I used monster makers latex.

I think if he wants to make his tails with neoprin/spacer, that's fine, but why mislead customers by calling it neoprene?
I'm glad they're looking for a better product name.

MermaidCecelia
09-17-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm sure people will still order is dispite it being neoprene or neroprin just because it IS one of the cheapest options out there that isn't fabric tail ,that's why I went with it
So far I haven't had problems with my current lining on my tail but I will update the review in a few months or so on if any changes are made

Mermaid Morgann
09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Part of me worries that he says he will find a better name, but may not ever change it. After all, he could call it a Silicone/Spacer Neoprin tail, and that would not be misleading. He hasn't yet, though, as easy as that sort of change would be. I don't like the idea of people being misled by a cleverly worded product. :c Still, because it is considerably cheaper, I can't imagine changing the name would alter sales much if at all. Just seems dishonest and wrong to be calling it something it's not.

AniaR
09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Probably won't alter sales but will alter the amount of emails they get from ppl who don't understand what it is I bet :p

MermaidCecelia
09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Agreed cause either way people WILL buy it for its cheap pricing I mean who wouldn't ? Cause 500$ will seem more appealing then paying 3k for your first tail ( or if your a parent , paying that much for a child/teens tail )

MermaidCecelia
09-17-2014, 09:25 AM
So changing the name wouldn't affect sales really it would just be a more honest name

Kishiko
09-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Someone shot me right now, please! :headwall:

Hey that's me :dance:
But yeah, I don't understand the whole "we have to keep it simple for our customers". Like can't you just explain what it is? Not to mention now using "basic silicone" because THATS an original name for a lined silicone tail :rolleyes:

Mermaid Morgann
09-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Basic Silicone will be worse because people are going to confuse it for a tail made entirely of silicone. /: If he really does use that name, I see it going nowhere good...

MermaidCecelia
09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Maybe what he needs to do is update the description on his website and the pictures too, cause the ones on his website look rather out of date because the fluke and such are different
And because he is changing the design on the silicone-neo
(Silicone neo sounds like a better name then basic silicone , because if he doesn't like using neoprin as a term , then he could describe in the description that its a spacer neoprene like material )

Mermaid Morgann
09-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Maybe what he needs to do is update the description on his website and the pictures too, cause the ones on his website look rather out of date because the fluke and such are different
And because he is changing the design on the silicone-neo
(Silicone neo sounds like a better name then basic silicone , because if he doesn't like using neoprin as a term , then he could describe in the description that its a spacer neoprene like material )

I think this is definitely a much better way to go about it. Silicone Neo or Silicone Spacer Neo tail would be much more descriptive and accurate.

MermaidCecelia
09-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Like see when I think of the term " basic silicone" it makes me think of maybe merbellas or just overall a tail made entirely of silicone (but with just the basic set fluke and colours ) but I wouldn't even think about the lining at all if I heard basic silicone

Kishiko
09-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Yup. And besides, why even put "Neo" in the title, if it already says spacer? That still sounds like neoprene to me

Sent from my shellphone using Mertalk

Echidna
09-17-2014, 11:14 AM
:doh:

he doesn't need to explain anything.
Just call it by its name.
If it's made of silicone, call it that. Same for any other material.

Do not call something by the name of a different material that is not inside.
That is not "keeping it simple", that is trying to cheat customers.

Sherielle
09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
How about just Partial Silicone tail? Then you know it's not all silicone, but you aren't misled to think that the other material is neoprene. Just my two bits.

Talia
09-17-2014, 12:02 PM
"Partial Silicone" is what he calls the tail skin with the silicone fluke (https://www.themertailor.com/partial-silicone-mermaid-tail). He specifies that it has "Neoprene like backing for strength" in the description too.

Kishiko
09-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Description was changed

Merman Arion
09-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Not buying it. No matter what he's saying, it's still the same fucking bad material known as NEOPRIN.

BUYER BEWARE! :surrender:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvlzc9QStE1qcvyp7.gif

Mermaid Morgann
09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Anyone who calls it one thing but means another is just trying to sneak cheaper material by a few uneducated customers. Never trust a product that is described using quotes, especially if it says ¨neoprene like​¨ on it. If it's actually neoprene like, why do you need the quotations at all?

Starfrit
09-17-2014, 12:54 PM
http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/suspicious.gif?0041cb

Something isn't adding up here and I'm honestly not sure if I buy Eric's explanation.

Yes, there are upsides to using neoprin (I'm sorry, "spacer") on a tail like this; like others have mentioned, it's easier to sew and attach to the silicone, reduces construction time on the tail. This allows him to offer a cheaper silicone tail alternative than most other tailmakers-- especially big-name makers like him. I'm not gonna blast him for using the material in his product.

So long as he's honest with his customers about it.

There's a major difference between neoprin/spacer and neoprene. Like someone else mentioned, the only real similarities here are the appearance. It can stretch out and warp and result in a shorter lifespan for the tail.

But here's my issue: For someone who seems so confident in the material's functions and claims to have no problem with being honest and educating his market on what he uses in his tails, why is he so... I don't know, allergic to calling it what it is? He avoids answering customers' questions directly by calling it a "neoprene-like material." In every instance where he's openly trying to promote/advertise these tails, he keeps referring to it more closely as neoprene ("neoprene-like").

He isn't using the word "neoprin" because he knows more people in the mermaid community-- one of, if not the largest demographics his products reach-- are aware of it by that name and know the major cons that come with using that material. It's distancing language; refusing to call it what it is to disassociate himself with the cons that come with it. So he continually, and in some cases incorrectly, compares / hints at it being a much more expensive, superior material instead.

It's like if someone were to market an Alex Plus tail as "Dragonskin silicone-like." It makes people assume that it's similar in quality when it couldn't necessarily be further from the truth.

Even in his explanation on Facebook regarding the material, he wastes the first paragraph arguing semantics: "We're not using NEOPRIN, we're using SPACER. Neoprin is just a word that was put on it years ago!" It doesn't matter-- dropping a dog turd on a plate and calling it labrador chocolate doesn't suddenly make it not a dog turd.

At this point it doesn't even matter whether he decides to call it neoprin or spacer. No matter what his intentions are, if he has to use a vague descriptor like "neoprene-like material" in the item description while expecting people to hand him hundreds of dollars, it's only suggesting one of two things: Either he's not fully informed on the materials he's using, which is problematic, OR he's totally informed and is hiding something that his customers really ought to know about. And neither reflect well on him.

I understand he's running a business and his primary focus is selling his product and making a profit; I don't blame him for that (except for when that totally screws over the quality of an order, like in the case of Merin and so many others). But for fuck's sake, this is Mertailor we're talking about-- Half his fanbase is so batshit crazy devoted to him they'd pay premium on his tails even if he told them the lining was made entirely out of cardboard. He doesn't have to rely on these Sleazy Used Car Salesman tactics to sell anything; I genuinely do not believe he would lose any sales if he'd just tell people it's made with silicone and spacer instead of being as painfully vague about it as it is.

At least he's openly addressing the comments instead of just deleting them and banning the "haters" outright. That's a start.

Merman Arion
09-17-2014, 12:57 PM
why do you need the quotations at all?

I can use quotations too

Eric, you are a "good tailmaker" :rolleyes:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvj91d3xyo1r7yp60o1_500.gif

Mermaid Wesley
09-17-2014, 12:59 PM
It drives me nuts that he's saying they're similar materials. He keeps insisting that they're similar when in fact they are not. At all. THE ONLY SIMILARITY IS THAT THEY BOTH HAVE SPANDEX ON EACH SIDE. And neoprene doesn't always. Tbh I believe that a "spacer" and silicone tail should be fine with the stretch of the silicone but.... It's nothing like neoprene. Neoprene IS rubber. There is no rubber in spacer...... Idgi.

Merman Arion
09-17-2014, 01:11 PM
At this point it doesn't even matter whether he decides to call it neoprin or spacer. No matter what his intentions are, if he has to use a vague descriptor like "neoprene-like material" in the item description while expecting people to hand him hundreds of dollars, it's only suggesting one of two things: Either he's not fully informed on the materials he's using, which is problematic, OR he's totally informed and is hiding something that his customers really ought to know about. And neither reflect well on him.

I understand he's running a business and his primary focus is selling his product and making a profit; I don't blame him for that (except for when that totally screws over the quality of an order, like in the case of Merin and so many others). But for fuck's sake, this is Mertailor we're talking about-- Half his fanbase is so batshit crazy devoted to him they'd pay premium on his tails even if he told them the lining was made entirely out of cardboard. He doesn't have to rely on these Sleazy Used Car Salesman tactics to sell anything; I genuinely do not believe he would lose any sales if he'd just tell people it's made with silicone and spacer instead of being as painfully vague about it as it is.

^ This! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blaze
09-17-2014, 01:25 PM
It doesn't matter-- dropping a dog turd on a plate and calling it labrador chocolate doesn't suddenly make it not a dog turd.

*DIES LAUGHING*

PearlieMae
09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Technically, the way he uses "Neoprene" and "neoprene like" (with no hyphen), to describe his product, if someone gets one of his neoprin tails, they can sue him for fraud for misrepresenting the materials used in the tails.

:crazy:

Merman Arion
09-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Technically, the way he uses "Neoprene" and "neoprene like" (with no hyphen), to describe his product, if someone gets one of his neoprin tails, they can sue him for fraud for misrepresenting the materials used in the tails.

If only this person could have your guts to do it ;)

Starfrit
09-17-2014, 01:43 PM

EXACTLY. And especially if the client emails him afterward to ask for clarification on the material and he can't even give a straight answer in private, like what happened to Mermaid Viktoria (and in her case, he insisted it was "nearly identical to neoprene" which... couldn't be further from the truth).

There's some really messy legal shit just waiting to go down, if this keeps up. Just a matter of someone with big enough pearls to actually get a lawyer involved.

Mermaid Morgann
09-18-2014, 09:21 AM

I would fully support anyone who felt the need to do this, because it is gross misrepresentation of a product. I feel absolutely awful for anyone who bought one of his ¨neoprene like¨ or ¨spacer¨ tails under a false assumption and then had issues down the road. Dealing with tail problems is one of the biggest nightmares for a mermaid, as my team has learned the hard way. :c

Hopefully he can get his wits about him and simply refer to the tail as it is, Silicone Spacer or Silicone Neoprin, and not feel the need to avoid the truth because he's afraid of losing one or two customers. He is rolling in so much dough from business that I doubt it would even slightly effect him to lose the two educated mermaids who could pursue legal action because they were misled. Seems like it's not worth the headache that could eventually befall him.

MermaidCecelia
09-18-2014, 09:54 AM
That's why I did my research before I bought the tail , I bought it as an upgrade from a fabric tail for better appearance and such , people should at least be informed because I feel sad for those thinking its neoprene but getting another material instead that they were not expecting as neoprin is not neoprene at all

MermaidCecelia
09-18-2014, 09:55 AM
IRS better to expect what will happen to the neoprin then be surprised and scammed

Fun123joker
09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
man i would love to see that in the news. what would be the headline?

Mer-Crazy
09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Okay so what I don't get is this: if he's so determined not to use the term Neoprin or Spacer because he believes that it could lose him a few potential clients (at least this is our general assumption on the matter, no one can really say what he's thinking except him) anyway, if he's so determined not to lose clients based on this theory then why the heck does he clearly not give a shit about losing clients due to shoddy work as in the case of Merin's tail?!?!

As we've discussed here the only people who are really going to know are the ones who are educated, mostly members of this site who can also see all his crappy reviews and aren't going to care how many good ones he gets when they're equally matched by poor ones?

To me it just seems like a flawed logic. Really I don't believe it's that hard to give every tail a 5 minute look over before it ships out to ensure it meets, what should be, a quite high standard of quality.

AniaR
09-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I am kinda on the fence with all of this. :confused:

1. I had one of the worst neoprin tails in existence. But from seeing some of the neoprin ones I saw on merfest and in other places in person I know, he's using a different higher quality fabric than what mine was made of. It's very obvious, even when I look at the neoprin in morticia's video... it's still better than mine. Mine was like a burlap sack or carpet backing, and way thinner than that. So I *do* think the tails have improved in quality to a degree.

2. Name or no name, you're only going to get so much paying for a 500$ tail. I know it seems like a big investment, but when you compare it to 3300$ I just paid, it's smaller change. I often think from my time in the community that people do NOT have accurate expectations for most tails, and I have tried to rectify that with as much education as possible... but fabric, neoprin, full silicone it doesnt seem to matter... there are always people who do not put in the time to know what they're getting into. I sincerely feel if you want to make this your job it's on you to educate yourself and be aware of as much as possible. Just like you would if you wanted to become a model, or an actor, or a musician etc. You study your craft, learn as much as you can about the industry, make careful investments. I know my 200$ guitar wont sound or work nearly as nice as my 1000$ guitar but I don't mind because my 200$ one is just a transition guitar for practice and isn't being used professionally. I wouldn't get into the music business with a bunch of low quality gear and expect it to be up to stadium concert standards you know?

3. Yeah I get that people aren't happy with the choice but I honestly do see his points. Like I said earlier, I know from tail makers I've spoken with and worked with that it is so much more work to try and get silicone to apply to neoprene. Raven put MORE work into her "basic" tails than the performance tails and it just about killed her. You're only paying 500$ it's like getting mad that your 100$ fabric tail isn't silicone.

4. I 100% totally appreciate and understand the complaints about it being misleading. But I so also see his points. For most people it's honestly not going to matter, it's like the difference between hey let me get something from organic armour. This product is silicone, this product is latex. For someone who just wants a tail (or organic armour) as a novelty, something for fun, non-professional use... it's not really going to matter that much in the long run (as long as it's still well made). But hey for someone who has more specific intentions they're going to put the research in (or if someone was allergic to latex they'd contact organic armour and ask for silicone instead). I don't think Eric is misleading the way he used to be. You all gotta understand (and I am not trying to slug up old drama here, I am over this) I paid 1000$+ for a tail that was window caulking and essentially carpet backing. And I was told it was professional quality latex and wet suit material, specifically. I think Eric has come miles from that. He's answering questions on his facebook page, he's made some changes to his website (whether we think they're enough or not) and he's been pretty clear from what I have seen in the past 9 months that these tails are more for fun and casual mers. The affordable version. I get everyone would like him to just go on and say "silicone plus neoprin" but when you google neoprin barely anything comes up. Google autocorrects it to neoprene. lol. And if they think to come here one of the first things they'll see is Raina's crappy burlap tail which I honestly don't feel is representative of what his stuff looks like now.

I don't want this to come off like I am defending him, or making excuses. I'm not. I've just learned a lot from talking with Raven, Thom, and other tail makers. I can see everyone's side in all this, and everyone's points. Maybe he could offer neoprene as an upgrade or something. I don't really have a solution for this... I just.. I just don't feel like it's as black or white as we're making it you know? I don't just think this is a case of AHH MERTAILOR SCAMS EVERYONE AGAIN. And yeah he's messed up but consider Merin's reviews is one of the first bad ones in months. I haven't gotten emails in months I used to get them constantly. He has overhauled his online image and gotten a LOT BETTER at how he posts things online, takes criticism etc.. I have known Eric for as long as I've been a mermaid and I feel like this is the most growth I've seen from him ever. I don't think it's a change/new leaf thing. Just genuine growing up. More growing up to do? For sure. But making progress? I think I can say better than most people, yes.

I am concerned that there is no motivation for Eric to keep trying to be better if everyone is so full of hate. And I don't say that to convince you to let him get away with shit... just that the whole community is better for it when he is motivated and getting along with people. I think seeing everything Raven has had to deal with.. I have a lot more empathy toward Eric because I have a greater understanding of what they go through.

Anyway, I am just expressing thoughts as they come to me. It's not to discredit the reviews because that tail was awful, and it's not to defend him. I just have this problem where I get all critical thinker and then I feel bad if I hop on the wagon without expressing those counter points. I don't think he'd lose any business honestly by saying "Neoprin" but I do appreciate that he thinks it will confuse clients. It's not easy to find information on it, and lots of tail makers use materials that not everyone agrees with but hey, you buy it or you don't.

I'll give you an example... Jesse still puts perma wet on his tails which is latex based, it makes it so you cant repaint the tails, and they peel. I hate that he uses it, expressed that to him, and felt bad when I saw new tails still having it on because it has caused us so much trouble with our tail. I have spoken about it on here multiple times. But people still buy his tails, and still get the perma wet. And as a business if he wants to take that risk that's on him and it's also his right and choice so I respect it. He also doesn't advertise that it is latex on top of silicone and that it causes problems.

Prince Calypso
09-18-2014, 11:26 PM
I am kinda on the fence with all of this. :confused:

1. I had one of the worst neoprin tails in existence. But from seeing some of the neoprin ones I saw on merfest and in other places in person I know, he's using a different higher quality fabric than what mine was made of. It's very obvious, even when I look at the neoprin in morticia's video... it's still better than mine. Mine was like a burlap sack or carpet backing, and way thinner than that. So I *do* think the tails have improved in quality to a degree.

2. Name or no name, you're only going to get so much paying for a 500$ tail. I know it seems like a big investment, but when you compare it to 3300$ I just paid, it's smaller change. I often think from my time in the community that people do NOT have accurate expectations for most tails, and I have tried to rectify that with as much education as possible... but fabric, neoprin, full silicone it doesnt seem to matter... there are always people who do not put in the time to know what they're getting into. I sincerely feel if you want to make this your job it's on you to educate yourself and be aware of as much as possible. Just like you would if you wanted to become a model, or an actor, or a musician etc. You study your craft, learn as much as you can about the industry, make careful investments. I know my 200$ guitar wont sound or work nearly as nice as my 1000$ guitar but I don't mind because my 200$ one is just a transition guitar for practice and isn't being used professionally. I wouldn't get into the music business with a bunch of low quality gear and expect it to be up to stadium concert standards you know?

3. Yeah I get that people aren't happy with the choice but I honestly do see his points. Like I said earlier, I know from tail makers I've spoken with and worked with that it is so much more work to try and get silicone to apply to neoprene. Raven put MORE work into her "basic" tails than the performance tails and it just about killed her. You're only paying 500$ it's like getting mad that your 100$ fabric tail isn't silicone.

4. I 100% totally appreciate and understand the complaints about it being misleading. But I so also see his points. For most people it's honestly not going to matter, it's like the difference between hey let me get something from organic armour. This product is silicone, this product is latex. For someone who just wants a tail (or organic armour) as a novelty, something for fun, non-professional use... it's not really going to matter that much in the long run (as long as it's still well made). But hey for someone who has more specific intentions they're going to put the research in (or if someone was allergic to latex they'd contact organic armour and ask for silicone instead). I don't think Eric is misleading the way he used to be. You all gotta understand (and I am not trying to slug up old drama here, I am over this) I paid 1000$+ for a tail that was window caulking and essentially carpet backing. And I was told it was professional quality latex and wet suit material, specifically. I think Eric has come miles from that. He's answering questions on his facebook page, he's made some changes to his website (whether we think they're enough or not) and he's been pretty clear from what I have seen in the past 9 months that these tails are more for fun and casual mers. The affordable version. I get everyone would like him to just go on and say "silicone plus neoprin" but when you google neoprin barely anything comes up. Google autocorrects it to neoprene. lol. And if they think to come here one of the first things they'll see is Raina's crappy burlap tail which I honestly don't feel is representative of what his stuff looks like now.

I don't want this to come off like I am defending him, or making excuses. I'm not. I've just learned a lot from talking with Raven, Thom, and other tail makers. I can see everyone's side in all this, and everyone's points. Maybe he could offer neoprene as an upgrade or something. I don't really have a solution for this... I just.. I just don't feel like it's as black or white as we're making it you know? I don't just think this is a case of AHH MERTAILOR SCAMS EVERYONE AGAIN. And yeah he's messed up but consider Merin's reviews is one of the first bad ones in months. I haven't gotten emails in months I used to get them constantly. He has overhauled his online image and gotten a LOT BETTER at how he posts things online, takes criticism etc.. I have known Eric for as long as I've been a mermaid and I feel like this is the most growth I've seen from him ever. I don't think it's a change/new leaf thing. Just genuine growing up. More growing up to do? For sure. But making progress? I think I can say better than most people, yes.

I am concerned that there is no motivation for Eric to keep trying to be better if everyone is so full of hate. And I don't say that to convince you to let him get away with shit... just that the whole community is better for it when he is motivated and getting along with people. I think seeing everything Raven has had to deal with.. I have a lot more empathy toward Eric because I have a greater understanding of what they go through.

Anyway, I am just expressing thoughts as they come to me. It's not to discredit the reviews because that tail was awful, and it's not to defend him. I just have this problem where I get all critical thinker and then I feel bad if I hop on the wagon without expressing those counter points. I don't think he'd lose any business honestly by saying "Neoprin" but I do appreciate that he thinks it will confuse clients. It's not easy to find information on it, and lots of tail makers use materials that not everyone agrees with but hey, you buy it or you don't.

I'll give you an example... Jesse still puts perma wet on his tails which is latex based, it makes it so you cant repaint the tails, and they peel. I hate that he uses it, expressed that to him, and felt bad when I saw new tails still having it on because it has caused us so much trouble with our tail. I have spoken about it on here multiple times. But people still buy his tails, and still get the perma wet. And as a business if he wants to take that risk that's on him and it's also his right and choice so I respect it. He also doesn't advertise that it is latex on top of silicone and that it causes problems.

Raina points 2 and 3 are what i'm talking about.
yes Eric can be a shoddy business man with visually appealing but crappily made products but i'm not coughing up 3k to him for a tail nor am i even considering it. i'm spending 500 and some odd dollars on a transition tail, which was in truth what my fishbutt tail was until it was ripped and now i need a new one. now when i get serious about mer-modeling i will invest in a better tail
but i am in no way saying that Eric is a great person or that i'm over all in love with his product.

Mermaid Danielle
09-18-2014, 11:30 PM

That is interesting, and something I'll need to look into further (and makes me super wary about all tail makers). I've considered ordering a tail from him, but if the top coat is latex based, and peeling, I won't be able to- my mom, whom I currently live with, is deathly allergic to latex. I'm really surprised that there isn't any information about it on his website. The materials that are listed all say silicone based. :(

Thanks for sharing that, Raina.

Prince Calypso
09-18-2014, 11:33 PM
also i kinda feel like any time someone buys from Eric and has an OK experience or doesn't have issue with his tails
they get viewed as Eric sympathizers like they have committed some great betrayal or something and its really really fucking annoying.
yes a lot of people have had bad shit come from Eric, no he isn't a fucking great guy but attacking and shunning people because they don't have anything negative or haven't had a shitty experience with him yet if at all is kinda fucked up
it might just be me but i'm just putting it out there

AniaR
09-18-2014, 11:57 PM
That is interesting, and something I'll need to look into further (and makes me super wary about all tail makers). I've considered ordering a tail from him, but if the top coat is latex based, and peeling, I won't be able to- my mom, whom I currently live with, is deathly allergic to latex. I'm really surprised that there isn't any information about it on his website. The materials that are listed all say silicone based

He admitted it on the forum once before and then deleted it in his comments and I know from seeing new tails at merfest and speaking to friends who just got new tails, it still has the permawet. it looks nice and shiny for a few swims but it'll peel. And you cant put paint over top of it.

I still think neoprin aside there is NO excuse for severely shoddy craftsmenship. Sometimes an issue here or there happens. But it shouldnt be a whole tail.

Echidna
09-19-2014, 04:55 AM
also i kinda feel like any time someone buys from Eric and has an OK experience or doesn't have issue with his tails
they get viewed as Eric sympathizers like they have committed some great betrayal or something and its really really fucking annoying.
yes a lot of people have had bad shit come from Eric, no he isn't a fucking great guy but attacking and shunning people because they don't have anything negative or haven't had a shitty experience with him yet if at all is kinda fucked up

Not sure where you get this notion from.
I've read many good reviews on mertailor tails here, and no one said anything on the contrary.
I've never seen someone "hated on" because they said their mertailor tail was nicely done lol.

Mostly, people say what I feel too:
if you're lucky, you can get an amazing tail from him, but if you're unlucky, it will be really bad.
(And I don't mean the difference between a full performance tail and the cheap neoprin/neoprene version, which I personally don't find visually appealing anyway, but each to their own.)

We all know Eric can do amazingly beautiful tails.
Many just feel they are not willing to take the chance with that kind of money involved (again, more thinking of the 3000 bucks range here than the 500$.
Although 500$ are a lot of money for many mers too, so I understand the frustration when the end product looks nothing like the advertisement.)

Theta
09-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a Mertailor Alex over Neoprin tail, and it served me very well as a transition tail. I feel like I dodged a few bullets- I got mine not long after Raina's, and it was in the couple of years that his tails were really touch and go quality wise, but mine came out fine. It's not the be all and end all of tails, but it was a good fit until I transitioned to my Merbellas a couple of years later. It's still seeing occasional use, too- I let people try it on in the pool, so they can get the idea of what it feels like to swim in a tail without me having to share my own tail (which I'm fiercely, and probably unreasonably, territorial about.) It has stretched out over the years, and will probably be cannibalized for parts in the near future. That being said, I've never felt hated on or persecuted for liking my Mertailor tail around here. (I think my review is the first on the review board, too, so I think I would have heard about it by now if people felt I was defending him or whatever.) Rather I think that I was just considered lucky that it didn't have a lot of problems. Also I agree with all of Raina's points- he's turned himself around in a big way since then.

As for Merin's tail, I'm sorry it's got so many issues and I hope you can work out ways to get the fixed. That work is awful and I'm surprised Eric shipped it.

Echidna
09-21-2014, 02:19 PM
I let people try it on in the pool, so they can get the idea of what it feels like to swim in a tail without me having to share my own tail (which I'm fiercely, and probably unreasonably, territorial about.)

I'd say it's totally reasonable to protect an expensive tail, and not share it.
Or any tail, as long as it's your personal one.

I don't even let people touch my monofins any longer (I learned that lesson the hard way).

AniaR
09-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Juku and I have been around online the same amount of time and in the past there has been a lot of hate on ppl who were happy. You only need to look at Bonnie's tail thread from a year ago to see that. It pops up on fb a lot too

SeaGlass Siren
09-21-2014, 06:47 PM
"How come she gets a good tail and we don't??"
"oh she's a supporter... Of course she's not gonna say anything baaaad"

loosely quoting (not verbatim) but hats just what it looks like to me atm

AniaR
09-21-2014, 08:31 PM
All Im saying is Juku is right it does happen. It doesn't happen as much anymore, but especially with Bonnie's thread (which people deleted some offensive posts afterwards) there was def over-criticism and nit-picking over a tail that the client was 100% happy with.

Prince Calypso
09-22-2014, 01:49 AM
lol Raina you got me mixed up with the other black gay mermaid prince lol
its cool though. juku and i are pretty close, personality wise

but your right. it doesnt happen as much anymore but the general feeling is still there that if you choose to buy from Eric or have gotten a good tail from him, you must be on the Mertailor bandwagon and that results in some undue attitudes being tossed around.

i fully intend to by my transition tail from eric and hope beyond hope it is well made and if it is i will give it a good review
if it isnt...its my own fault and i will just add myself to the growing pool of unsatisfied mertailor costumers and make no quarlles about it

AniaR
09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Sorry calypso lol I get more so confused between people and their usernames :p. I did it at merfest too. Just couldn't always figure out which user name went with which person and realized I'd confused some people for years. really sorry about that. Thanks for laughing it off and being nice to me!! I'm so embarrassed lol

Theta
09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Juku and I have been around online the same amount of time and in the past there has been a lot of hate on ppl who were happy. You only need to look at Bonnie's tail thread from a year ago to see that. It pops up on fb a lot too

Fair enough, I had forgotten about the Bonnie's Tail saga!

Firemaid
09-25-2014, 02:13 PM
In my opinion "Sil-poxy" sucks. Smooth on does recommend it, but the guys at smooth on are really into sales.
Using more of the same kind of silicone you used to make the tail is the best way to get a bond that will really last. Sil-poxy is ok for sticking silicone to non silicone, or to a very old piece. It is a horrible choice for a fresh silicone on silicone.
I learned about silicon casting from old special effects masters. They swear to me that sil-poxy is nothing more than 100% silicone (the exact kind you will find in the hardware store)
I believe this to be true. They smell exactly the same and in my experience produce the exact same results.
Also I have good reason to believe that eric is using good ol' hardware caulk on his tails.
What is that behind the dorsal of the purple tail?
I personally believe that sil-poxy and 100% silicone caulk are the ecaxt same product, so if others use silpoxy I cant hold it against eric for using the cheeper version.
I don't recommend using either one. just the smell of sil poxy lets you know its freeking toxic!
I personally don't even use any smooth on products in my tails at all. I use a more expensive, higher quality platinum cure silicone called "Gel 10" The name isn't as fun as Dragonskin, but I think it's an all around better product.
2 cents! bam!

Mermaid Wesley
09-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Lol caulking tube in a picture. Watch out Eric don't you know people are looking for reasons to lynch you lol

Echidna
09-25-2014, 02:33 PM
No one is looking for "lynching" reasons :rolleyes:

If I were to invest 3 grand or more in a tail, though, I'd like to know for sure it isn't a health hazard.
Those tails look gorgeous, but if they have caulking in/on them, I'd seriously rather wear a fabric tail.

AniaR
09-25-2014, 02:58 PM
sil -poxy isnt a health hazard, nor is the hardware store equivalent. It's just as dangerous as dragon skin silicone uncured, and just as safe as dragon skin when it's cured. their MSDS is almost the same.

People don't seem to have a clue or willing to talk about how toxic the tail making process is for people or the environment. But the end result when using these specific products when cured, is still a safe product.

I'm not defending his use, just pointing out it's not as sneaky as some people here are trying to make it come across. Some of us cant get the silicone our tails was made out of. Either because it wont ship like in my case, or they can't get small enough quantities. Some don't have the space to mix it and use it safely. Some people also don't want the hassle of trying to mix it etc. When smoothon tells me I can use something, I trust and I have had no issue with tail repairs using mine and my tail is 3 years old. It doesn't really matter if it's the same as the hardware store, there's so many types at the hardware store I've seen mers totally fuc* up a tail by going out and getting hardware stuff. I mean, if you think you can manage it, there's no issue. Go for it. We use it here too. But I don't think it's fair to put people down for using what smoothon recommends for their products and taking the guess work out. And as much as people love to hate on Eric, I personally don't think it's fair to attack him for using products that are just as safe when cured, and are standard in the spfx field. I mean seriously, JUST GOOGLE IT and it comes up on SPFX maker forums spanning ten years. If you don't wanna use it fine. But it's not a conspiracy theory :p

I think it's 100% fair for people to be pissed off about the state of this tail the review is referencing. Perhaps the silicone debate itself can be another thread. really it just comes down to personal choice and what your tail is made out of. Are we really so itching for drama we're gonna go off about seeing tubes in a photo CLEARLY being used to prop up drying fins? When there's more than enough we can all say about the actual issue at hand- the terrible tail? lol

Mermaid Wesley
09-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Oh I'm just teasing lol. Like i don't care if he's using good caulking to help attach things, that's fine. I was just thinking that he is a huge lynch magnet and this could be a lunch-creator. I don't think his materials are poor I think his effort is inconsistent. He's talented but his products are way too risky for me. *shrug*

AniaR
09-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Lol a lunch creator. That made me hungry (I know it was a typo) sorry I wasn't specifically addressing you, more the thread in general. <3

Mermaid Wesley
09-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Damn autocorrect.... Lol

Firemaid
09-25-2014, 07:01 PM
sil -poxy isnt a health hazard, nor is the hardware store equivalent. It's just as dangerous as dragon skin silicone uncured, and just as safe as dragon skin when it's cured. their MSDS is almost the same.

People don't seem to have a clue or willing to talk about how toxic the tail making process is for people or the environment. But the end result when using these specific products when cured, is still a safe product.

I'm not defending his use, just pointing out it's not as sneaky as some people here are trying to make it come across. Some of us cant get the silicone our tails was made out of. Either because it wont ship like in my case, or they can't get small enough quantities. Some don't have the space to mix it and use it safely. Some people also don't want the hassle of trying to mix it etc. When smoothon tells me I can use something, I trust and I have had no issue with tail repairs using mine and my tail is 3 years old. It doesn't really matter if it's the same as the hardware store, there's so many types at the hardware store I've seen mers totally fuc* up a tail by going out and getting hardware stuff. I mean, if you think you can manage it, there's no issue. Go for it. We use it here too. But I don't think it's fair to put people down for using what smoothon recommends for their products and taking the guess work out.

I totally agree that sil poxy and the hardware store equivalent are 100% safe when cured! Only nasty and toxic to work with. No one should be worried if these products are in their tail!