PDA

View Full Version : DFW Indoor Pool for a Birthday Party that allows a mermaid

LauraLWatson
09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Anyone have access to an INDOOR pool on Saturday October 11 sometime between 1-5pm for a child's birthday party that WILL allow a swimming mermaid to appear?

Prefer the FRISCO, PLANO, RICHARDSON, GARLAND, or MCKINNEY areas, but if you get a yes, we'll be flexible.

Frisco Athletic Center, Dallas' Bachman Indoor Pool, and Tom Mulenbeck in Plano all said no. (Grr, boo, and hiss to them!)

AmbrGlows
09-16-2014, 03:17 AM
I work at a hotel in Plano but our pool is outdoor. We have a sister property that might allow it. They may want to charge a fee for the space and time but you can try.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Dallas Galleria
6055 LBJ Freeway
Dallas, TX 75240
972-404-4500

Good luck. I like to go there myself on my nights off to get in some fin swimming since I'm trying to start doing parties and events myself.

Mermaid Enora
09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
oh the tom mulenbeck annoys me. I called and got permission and swam with my monofin/tail for 4 months and then one day they were like…..get out we have never allowed that.

LauraLWatson
09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks AmbrGlows! I will contact them today!

I actually submitted to the Holiday Inn here in Arlington for the Mercademy and they are "discussing it", so I am hopeful Holiday Inns across the country will be mer-friendly. :-)

LauraLWatson
09-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mermaid Enora. I remember, as a lifeguard, telling people no fins (scuba), and I understand it's a safety issue during open free swim. But when it's a professional working a private event... That should be allowed. (A professional with training, insurance, and a clean record.)

Mermaid Enora
09-16-2014, 06:59 PM
I do realize why. Its just annoying that I was either told the wrong rules or the rules were changed.

AmbrGlows
09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
That is why I contacted the Hawaiian Falls nearest me via email. Then I had their reply in black and white. I actually swam in my tail and monofin at several locations around DFW and no one said anything except for one lifeguard at my home location...the one I had the email from. She was just a snob. The moment I told her that I had an email saying I could she shut up.

Seatan
09-16-2014, 09:46 PM
You swam in it at Hawaiian Falls? OMG SO JELLY. I MUST DO THIS! Which one did you go to?

AmbrGlows
09-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I did...I only have a fabric tail at the moment so it was easier. I think it may get too crowded for a silicone tail.
I was at The Colony location the most but I also swam in it at Mansfield and Roanoke too.

LauraLWatson
09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
My mer-apprentice and I wanted to go to Hawaiian Falls too, because we saw your post that they allowed it, but we never had the time and then they closed.

Most pools have "no fins" in their written rules, but if they don't, then I would expect them to allow me (within reason.) Changing policy on a whim is just not cool.

AmbrGlows
09-17-2014, 12:31 PM
There is an aquatic center near me that has salt water pools. I'm gonna look into taking one of their water aerobics classes and see if I can swim in my tail during open swim times.

AmbrGlows
09-17-2014, 12:33 PM
My mer-apprentice and I wanted to go to Hawaiian Falls too, because we saw your post that they allowed it, but we never had the time and then they closed.

Most pools have "no fins" in their written rules, but if they don't, then I would expect them to allow me (within reason.) Changing policy on a whim is just not cool.
If you had more time I'd say a season pass is a great thing. They have a lei away program. But if time is limited for trips to the park let me know and next summer we can plan a trip when I have some good coupons to use.

Mermaid Enora
09-17-2014, 01:32 PM
oh i want to try it out too!

LauraLWatson
09-17-2014, 09:14 PM
If you had more time I'd say a season pass is a great thing. They have a lei away program. But if time is limited for trips to the park let me know and next summer we can plan a trip when I have some good coupons to use.

YES! We love our coupons!!

Blaze
09-18-2014, 12:56 PM
There is an aquatic center near me that has salt water pools. I'm gonna look into taking one of their water aerobics classes and see if I can swim in my tail during open swim times.

Salt water pools you say?!?!

LauraLWatson
09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Holiday Inns ARE mer-friendly, as are Emler Swim Schools. I am compiling a list of EVERY pool that will answer the phone in DFW that is mer-friendly. I will post it to the Pod of Texas when I am finished.

AmbrGlows
09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Salt water pools you say?!?!
Yes, I'm going by tomorrow to talk to them.