PDA

View Full Version : Tips for taking photos indoors

MermaidCecelia
09-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Swimming season is pretty much over for me , so doing underwater shots is rather out of question

Though , I definitely feel like , I have a need to get photos done as at most I've only gotten videos of myself in the pool, but never actual photos to share , maybe not "professional" photos as a professional is actually someone who gets payed and has more practice , but I feel I can get the basics down

As for tail and props , I'm all set on that

Through I have a few things in mind ,

1. How can I improve the lighting ? Do you recommend I buy specific lights or are their alternatives people have tried?

2. If I was to do a few while in the bathtub , what kinda of preparations should I make to prevent damage to my tail ?

And maybe if you have other ideas that would be swell, and if their is already thread posts related to this , if you could just link them that would be amazing , thanks

Miyu
09-21-2014, 11:58 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Photography-Lighting

Try to reflect light off of white things to get better lighting. Try taking photos with a less "busy" background - large swaths of fabric do nicely to cover up random room clutter. adding some fishnet/seaweed will help keep it from being too sterile.

Buy a few different lightbulbs and test them all in the rooms you'll be taking pictures in most, taking pictures to compare. Try to either find one with diffused light, or find a way to diffuse the light yourself - One of the major problems I run into with indoors casual photos is that they can be very harsh. My favorite things to use are those bendy floor lamps, so you can direct the light all over the place, and it's portable!

Maybe put a towel in the tub? Tubs are generally pretty safe for tails :)

Mermaid Jaffa
09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Daylight globes instead of the yellow light glow.

I've got daylight globes in all the different rooms of the house. It helps when I craft at night so the colors don't appear different.

MermaidCecelia
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Photography-Lighting

Try to reflect light off of white things to get better lighting. Try taking photos with a less "busy" background - large swaths of fabric do nicely to cover up random room clutter. adding some fishnet/seaweed will help keep it from being too sterile.

Buy a few different lightbulbs and test them all in the rooms you'll be taking pictures in most, taking pictures to compare. Try to either find one with diffused light, or find a way to diffuse the light yourself - One of the major problems I run into with indoors casual photos is that they can be very harsh. My favorite things to use are those bendy floor lamps, so you can direct the light all over the place, and it's portable!

Maybe put a towel in the tub? Tubs are generally pretty safe for tails :)
good tips! and the reason i asked about my tub is for some reason the bottom of my tub has developed to be "scratchy" sorta texture and im unsure why, its been quite a few years sense we got the tub installed in my house

Miyu
09-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Ooooh I think I know the texture you're talking about! Okay so yeah, just laying a towel in there should do it! I took a towel along when I took my in-tail photoshoot to sort of help with the weird texture of the rocks, and it seemed to provide plenty of protection :)

Mermaid Momo
09-23-2014, 06:23 PM
There's also a bunch of tutorials on youtube for making your own lighting (I posted a few in the thread for starting webshows.)