PDA

View Full Version : A Top For MermaidMichelle!

Miyu
09-28-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm back with another mermaid bra project! This one's for MermaidMichelle, as the "prize" she chose on my fundraiser! Michelle's donation helped me get my Hydra monofin and helping me feel like a real mer, so I'm really excited to be working on it! She's given me the go-ahead to share the construction of her special bra here :3

MermaidMichelle has been superbly patient with me, but I've finally gotten a new bra base for her so I can get started! (I had been covering a blue bra base with nude spandex, but I recently came across a much better bra to use for her which is both better in colour and in construction). This bra is getting my "bellydance bra" treatment, which involves completely overhauling the straps and creating a criss-cross adjustable lacing system for maximum support and sizing.

Here's what I got done yesterday!

Starting bra base

Reverse side. I don't know the brand, but I really like the unique construction on this one.

Stretchy side bits chopped off.

That strip to the side of the cup is actually a flat line of boning - it's what really makes this bra base stand out, as it gives an extra line of support!

New side straps attached. I got lucky and happened to find some nude ribbon that work perfectly for this! I hand-sewed the straps, twice, with doubled polyester thread, and encased edges where they needed to be. I'll also be stitching on top of it while embellishing to further reinforce them. I like my straps sturdy.

(please excuse the bedspread - I get glue on it a lot and flash makes it look terrible... :sweat drop:)

Next up is attaching the main netting portion/creating shoulder straps!

MermaidMichelle
09-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I've ever worn a bra with straps like that; I look forward to it! :mermaid kiss:

Miyu
09-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Heehee, the mermaid top I made myself was my first using these types of straps... It takes a little getting used to, but is SO WORTH IT, because it accommodates weight gain/loss beautifully! Plus it has the most support I've ever had in a top, and it keeps everything "reigned in", LOL! (I still haven't put the shoulder straps on yet, don't worry, they'll be there!)

Miyu
10-09-2014, 08:09 AM
I finally got the netting placed how I want it! This is the first layer of netting - there will be a secondary layer of a different type of net over part of the top. I've pre-washed all the netting for comfort, and it's pretty soft :)

Also shown here, a quick look at the lacing system on this top, using the excess ends of the netting as the ties (the finished product will be different, I still have to shorten those straps and the actual lacing will be interchangeable).

deepblue
10-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Ooh the back looks really cool, I like the way you put that together. :D

Mermaid Wesley
10-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Almost corset-y Very pretty. Oh! It reminds me of a ballet shoe!

Jadestone
10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Wow! Really love how the back works on this!

Miyu
10-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Thank you guys so much! It's my favorite closure for bras, especially performance tops, because it has so much support and is really secure, and it's sooo adjustable :) It's the same kind of lacing you'll find on some belly dance tops. I plan on making it my signature style!

Heehee, funny that you mention a ballet shoe, Wesley, because my duct-tape dummy is wearing a tutu I made :P She currently looks like some kind of sea ballerina!

Mermaid Galene
10-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Nice!

MermaidMichelle
10-14-2014, 01:12 AM
I quite like the style; it looks pretty already! I also appreciate everyone else's feedback! :mermaid kiss:

Miyu
10-29-2014, 12:07 AM
I just ordered the shells!!! I'm hoping I got a good selection of colours, I ordered 4 just in case (and will be using the extra two on a top for myself). The Lion's Paws I ordered usually come in shades of red/orange/yellow naturally, hopefully I got some bright ones!

MermaidMichelle
10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you! I look forward to seeing them! :mermaid kiss:

Miyu
10-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Apparently the company I ordered from does 2-day express shipping, so they should be here this weekend! How exciting! I can't wait to start attaching things to the top, I had to wait on these shells to figure out how to arrange everything. I picked out some super-neat beads from my collection just to match your theme, I think you'll love them!

Miyu
11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Here's the shells in different lighting situations! Aren't they just beautiful? They're also HUGE and way heavier than I thought they would be!

Mermaid Aika
11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Those shells look beautiful!

Vela
11-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow this top is going to look great! Can't wait to see it finished.:)

MermaidMichelle
11-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Merci beacoup tous! :mermaid kiss: Those are magnificent, and perfectly coloured for the Mer on Fire!!

Miyu
11-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Yay! I'm glad you like them, Michelle! I saw them online and thought they would be perfect for your theme :highfive:

My mertender will be drilling holes, etc. in the next few days, so I'll be able to secure them to the top soon!

Miyu
11-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Finally dug out all the bits and my mertender got the holes drilled today (and wore down two bits doing so - these shells were a paint to work with, apparently)! I've started sewing them onto the base, they're going pretty quickly and HOLY SEA COW does it look awesome! It's going to match Michelle's theme perfectly, I think!

MermaidMichelle
11-21-2014, 12:42 AM
What wonderful news, and just in time for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1's global release (I'm seeing it today)! My condolences to your mertender though; would he like some extra for those bits?

Miyu
11-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Heehee that's awesome! This top is definitely made with Hunger Games in mind! ;)

My mertender says he'd only like to have the extra bits so that he can finish the other pair of shells for my own top :p He was hoping to get those done soon, especially now that he's seeing how awesome your top is turning out!

MermaidMichelle
11-21-2014, 01:33 AM
Oh, that is fine to know; I'm honoured and congratulate you heartily! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Harmony
11-21-2014, 03:16 AM
Dude that back of the top is amazing, I really love it!

Miyu
11-30-2014, 03:49 AM
I finished sewing the first shell on today! Sorry for the bad quality photos, my room isn't the best for photos unless I turn ALL THE LIGHTS on, which I forgot to do. I plan on taking better ones on my mannequin soon anyways.

Mermaid Galene
11-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Looking good!

Mermaid Sirenia
11-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Question, how did you sew the shell on? I'm planning on making myself some more she'll tops and would love to know :)

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Love the back to that! Those shells are so bright!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miyu
11-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Galene: Thank you! I'm liking the progress :)

Sirenia: I had my mertender drill holes in the shells. Everywhere you see a pearl or gold bead is where there's a hole - I covered the holes with pretty things ;) I sewed them down with some super-thin (pretty much invisible) nylon thread. I word of warning - if you're planning on drilling your own holes, my mertender ended up wrecking two bits to drill these! I ended up with some pretty heavy-duty, thick shells! I think if I'd glued them, they would have come off. Plus the whole problem of glue and I not getting along well on multiple levels. :p The thing about sewing them on is that you have to watch where you're placing all the stitches on the bra base, because it can easily distort the cup and make it smaller - especially if you're like me and want to sew the whole thing down instead of having part of it standing away from the bra!

CoyoteWalker: Thanks a bunch! Yeah, those are some pretty flashy shells - I saw them and knew I had to use them on Michelle's top (MER ON FIRE for sure!)

MermaidMichelle
12-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Mer on Fire indeed; I am pleased and impressed! :mermaid kiss: Has anyone else seen Mockingjay, Part I yet? I saw it opening day...lol

Back on topic, I very much like the pearls with which you covered the holes (and I'm still sorry about the drill bits; animals can make some very strong biological materials!); they're the perfect mermaid accessory and assist my naturally-royal-metallic-fire-sea-dragon look!

Miyu
12-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Yay, I'm so glad you're liking it! The second shell is coming along much faster, now that I have a technique down for such a large shell. I tried to put not too many pearls on it, as I'm trying to balance it with the shiny gold beads :) Thankfully I have some "irregular" glass beads that fit in well with the colour scheme, so it's not just the usual white round beads either!

I haven't gotten to see any of the Hunger Games movies past the first one yet... I don't get to go to theatres or buy DVDs, and I feel so bad about watching things not-so-legally online :$