PDA

View Full Version : FL Miami-Dade County area meetup!

Mermaid Saoirse
10-03-2014, 11:03 AM
So Merman Cetus and I have been collaborating for him to meet up with my training pod and myself. We decided to announce the plans in case any other mer in the area at the time would like to socialize!

Date: Saturday, Oct. 11th
Time: Approx. 10:30 a.m to 3:30 p.m
Address: 1401 Westward Dr., Miami Springs
Pool entrance fee: $4 per person

I'd like to note that while the pool is perfectly accepting of merfolk and seem to not be able to care less, please be courteous while in attendance. The deep end is 9ft but split into lanes most of the time. Please remember to stay in your lane if you find an empty one. They don't mind diving from what I have experienced (though my static breath hold falls just under a minute, so I'm unsure)

My training pod has been swimming at this pool frequently since mid summer. Most of the lifeguards by now are used to seeing us with not only monofins but also lycra tails. There's even a lifeguard who's interested in getting a tail as well!

Warning: There is uncovered fiberglass on the edges of the pool. While not sharp, please be advised that prolonged contact with your skin will cause excessive itchiness.
Please be advised that food is not allowed at the pool. While there is a water fountain I would recommend a bottle of water to make sure they you stay hydrated. After the meet if you're hungry there are multiple restaurants nearby. Some are fast food and others are small businesses. There's even a grocery store.

And for any merfolk who plan to attend, feel free to bring your Mertender/Merwrangler/Merhandler along if you have one! My training pod only has Mertender John who doubles as our photographer.

Attendance List (Yes/Maybe):
- Mermaid Saoirse - Y
- Mermaid Noelle - Y
- Merman Oran - M
- Mertender John - Y
- Merman Cetus - Y
-
-

Marlin
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Wish I could go, but I'm on the very opposite end of Florida. Too far of a drive for me :( Hope you all have fun :D

Mermaid Saoirse
10-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks! Maybe with a bit of luck in the future I'll be able to go to a meet up further north. I'm really looking forward to meeting more merfolk in person. :3

Marlin
10-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I would love that. I've been hoping for it, but unfortunately; there don't seem to be too many others up here near me. Maybe week can work something out in the spring. :D

Mermaid Saoirse
10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Just a quick reminder, the meetup is tomorrow! If you arrive after the meetup time begins please remember we will either be preparing to get in the pool or be in the pool at the time. This means feel free to meet up inside on the pool deck! The best way to see if I'm still at the pool will be that there will be a red cruiser bicycle with black saddle bags hooked up out front.

Also: If the mers get too tired before the 3:30 p.m mark I'll be sure to post on here when everyone has left the pool!

SeaMansa
08-20-2015, 06:48 AM
I know I'm late to this thread (almost a year late, really) but how'd it go? Did people stare? Ask questions? Was the staff weirded out? I too live in Miami, not a lot of MERS down here so I was curious as to how it all went.

Mermaid Saoirse
08-20-2015, 12:52 PM
The meetup was pretty calm. The pool staff are used to my pod's presence and know that we're capable of using our tails and are respectful of others in the pool. We also have mertenders who stay in the water or poolside with us and make sure we're okay.
It was a day where there weren't many people at the pool so we ended up having most of the deep end to ourselves. I managed to take a few underwater selfies with my underwater phone case.
Not too long after it was announced that there was going to be a new pool built so at the moment the pool in my neighborhood is not available. The new pool is scheduled to be finished in March/April of next year.
I'll be sure to announce next time my pod has a swim. Hopefully any other Miami merfolk will be able to come meet my empire.

SeaMansa
04-28-2016, 05:27 PM
The meetup was pretty calm. The pool staff are used to my pod's presence and know that we're capable of using our tails and are respectful of others in the pool. We also have mertenders who stay in the water or poolside with us and make sure we're okay.
It was a day where there weren't many people at the pool so we ended up having most of the deep end to ourselves. I managed to take a few underwater selfies with my underwater phone case.
Not too long after it was announced that there was going to be a new pool built so at the moment the pool in my neighborhood is not available. The new pool is scheduled to be finished in March/April of next year.
I'll be sure to announce next time my pod has a swim. Hopefully any other Miami merfolk will be able to come meet my empire.

After I get my tail hopefully later this year, if all goes well, i'd love to meet up with all the other mers around this place. Once again, I know I'm like a year late in posting LOL

MermanMiles
06-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Hello! I am a new Merman and I live in the Miami-Dade area. I am trying to find a local pool to swim in. I have yet to order my monofin but plan to make a fabric tail when I do get it. I live south of Miami and closer to the keys. Please let me know if you are part of a pod close by!

MermaidCelesteFL
06-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Hello! I am a new Merman and I live in the Miami-Dade area. I am trying to find a local pool to swim in. I have yet to order my monofin but plan to make a fabric tail when I do get it. I live south of Miami and closer to the keys. Please let me know if you are part of a pod close by!

Welcome, Miles! (Awesome name, btw!) Be sure to introduce yourself on the forum here (http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?7-Introduce-Yourself), and I'm pretty sure there are other mers in your area, both on the forums and on FB. I would check out the Pod of the South FB page, as well as other Florida mer-related pages, there is bound to be someone in your area!

MermanMiles
06-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Welcome, Miles! (Awesome name, btw!) Be sure to introduce yourself on the forum here (http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?7-Introduce-Yourself), and I'm pretty sure there are other mers in your area, both on the forums and on FB. I would check out the Pod of the South FB page, as well as other Florida mer-related pages, there is bound to be someone in your area!
Thank you for the heads up! I'll make sure to check them out! I should be ordering my first monofin (Hydra) this weekend!! I can't wait to start swimming!!