PDA

View Full Version : seashell top...for a guy

Prince Calypso
10-04-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm doing an Ariel cosplay for a local comic con this month and i'm having some trouble figuring out how to doing the top.
this is the design i came up with for the costume using a monster high base

the top is the only issue i'm having trouble with. its essentially a shredded crop top i made for a beach trip a few months ago with seashells on it to look like Ariel's seashell bra
I'm just not sure how to go about attaching them to the shirt. i've seen how most of the seashell bras ar emade using a nude colored bra but one problem. i dont have boobs and i dont want to wear a bra. so how would i go about attaching the shells to the top?

SeaMansa
10-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Okay so I have an idea but I'm not sure how to phrase it so bear with me here. What you could do instead of a bra is have the shells lined up like armor/chest plate in formation. I'd draw a picture but I'm terrible at drawing but basically, you get like a string or necklace or whatever and line up some shells horizontally across your....chest bone? The bony part thats under ur neck >> then, you go down and line up another set and so on and so forth, but you'd need less shells and possibly smaller ones the further down you go. If you don't want to show off too much akin, you could have some fake seaweed hanging down. I know its hard to understand but it looks decent in my head at least >_<

deepblue
10-04-2014, 02:06 PM
I can see them attached to a fishnet top, if it's tight enough to not move around. A fishnet tank top would not be hard to make, either from a fishnet shirt or from a fishnet.

Merman Dan
10-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Did anyone else think of this, when they saw the title of the thread? ;)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/mermaidman.jpg

Miyu
10-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I've got a nude-colored tank top I've been planning on using for a mer-top... You could try that, or even a nude bandeaux top! Those things can be pretty shapeless, so you don't need to worry about it looking/behaving like a bra :P

CowgirlMermaid
10-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Maybe use the flat St. Jacobs Shells?

ShyMer
10-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Maybe it would help to see photos of the actual shirt.
Did you consider maybe layering the top over the shells rather than the other way around? I'm just thinking if the top is loose, it might be more suited to being on top.
Also do you want a female or male style shell top? I figure since you used a female doll, you want a more female style top, but it might help to specify.

Donella
10-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I'd stick them on with E6000 glue.

Prince Calypso
10-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Okay so I have an idea but I'm not sure how to phrase it so bear with me here. What you could do instead of a bra is have the shells lined up like armor/chest plate in formation. I'd draw a picture but I'm terrible at drawing but basically, you get like a string or necklace or whatever and line up some shells horizontally across your....chest bone? The bony part thats under ur neck >> then, you go down and line up another set and so on and so forth, but you'd need less shells and possibly smaller ones the further down you go. If you don't want to show off too much akin, you could have some fake seaweed hanging down. I know its hard to understand but it looks decent in my head at least >_<

that would be a great idea, but its not really what i'm going for lol

Prince Calypso
10-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Maybe it would help to see photos of the actual shirt.
Did you consider maybe layering the top over the shells rather than the other way around? I'm just thinking if the top is loose, it might be more suited to being on top.
Also do you want a female or male style shell top? I figure since you used a female doll, you want a more female style top, but it might help to specify.

lol i didn't think about posting them lol
ignore my boney self. the shirt im wearing is the one i am going to be using for the costume.
and that big guy in the pic is my boyfriend btw lol

a more female style top was the intended idea. i was thinking of just using some plastic shells, like from a hula girl costume or something and painting them purple, and then trying to find a why to attach, or stick them to the shirt

Mermaid Wesley
10-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Try poking little holes in them and sewing them. It saves the glue hassle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MermaidBrandie
12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Drill holes in them and sew them.

OR

Sand the inside and attach them with e6000.

However, they will be heavy so I would attach some sort of reinforcement to the inside of the shirt (like a bandeau top or something) so that the shells don't hang weird.

I would stain the shells a pastel purple as well, that's just me tho. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk