PDA

View Full Version : Pvc tail stand

SeaVixen
10-17-2014, 02:51 AM
I have searched this forum high and low for this to no avail. Does anyone have any detailed instructions on how to make a pvc tail stand? I could also use a supply list too so I know what pieces to buy. I need this for my upcoming silicone tail.

AmbrGlows
10-17-2014, 07:19 AM
My mom and I made one a few weeks ago. I can't remember where I posted pics but I'll get you details on the one we made. I know that Nola Mermaid's hubby made one for her tail too.

AmbrGlows
10-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Okay, found my supply list.
6 - 10 foot lengths of PVC of desired size (we used 1 1/4")
10 - tee fittings
4 - end caps
4 - 90* elbows
2 - industrial strength rubberbands
PVC pipe cutter (I think it was like $15 at Home Depot and it is amazing!!!)

This list is based on the pic of Nola's stand. I will hunt it down and share it with you. It's on my mermaid flash drive so it may take a bit of looking.

AmbrGlows
10-17-2014, 07:51 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/17/f9c28e8c6cbdd506111717773ba51855.jpg
Nola's stand.

Chrissy
10-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Here is mine with out the tail. We didn't have instructions we just looked at pictures and went from there!!! My husband is very creative!!!

Sherielle
10-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Yay! I've been wanting to make one and this helps a lot!

Sherielle
10-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Chrissy, how tall is it?

AmbrGlows
10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Here is mine with out the tail. We didn't have instructions we just looked at pictures and went from there!!! My husband is very creative!!!

Hiya Chrissy!! I couldn't remember what your name was on here. Your stand was a great inspiration! I actually added more to my stand so it doubles as a frame for a photo backdrop my mom is painting.

maressa
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I lot of mers i know have been using Iona's method of just hanging it on the wall. Like so: 24832 Takes a lot less material and a lot less room in the house. I think I'd only want to build a stand if I wasn't allowed to put holes in the walls. If you're interested I'll hunt down the original thread of making the wall mount.

Chrissy
10-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Chrissy, how tall is it?

It is around 6ft. I made it high enough so I could stick my fan under it!!! I did think about doing a rack on the wall but with this "portable" rack I can clean it out side and hang dry until it drips dry then I can move it to a spare room. I don't store my tail on it. I worry about the body being heavy and stretching to much if the weight is pulling it down all the time. I store mine laying down. But I am really over protective with my tail

teeth4u
10-17-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I lot of mers i know have been using Iona's method of just hanging it on the wall. Like so: 24832 Takes a lot less material and a lot less room in the house. I think I'd only want to build a stand if I wasn't allowed to put holes in the walls. If you're interested I'll hunt down the original thread of making the wall mount.

I would definitely be interested in something like this! It wouldn't take up as much space in my dinky apartment.

SeaVixen
10-17-2014, 02:50 PM
I can't hang anything on my walls in my current home because I'm moving around July or August and we actually have a painter who has been going from room to room as we move things out of the way and repairing holes and blemishes so he can paint to prepare our house for the sale later. Our next home is actually a temporary home for about 2 years. Long story. So I can't be damaging those walls either so the next 3 years or so I need a place to store my tail off the floor. I have scorpions where I currently live and need a place up off of the floor to store it so they don't try to make a home in it. Omg I would die. I hate scorpions. We haven't had any luck in finding a new permanent home in the new town we plan to move to closer to the water because nothing we like has come up for sale. I guess this isn't the time of year when people sell. I hope we find something. The new home area doesn't have scorpions thankfully.

SeaVixen
10-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Okay, found my supply list.
6 - 10 foot lengths of PVC of desired size (we used 1 1/4")
10 - tee fittings
4 - end caps
4 - 90* elbows
2 - industrial strength rubberbands
PVC pipe cutter (I think it was like $15 at Home Depot and it is amazing!!!)

This list is based on the pic of Nola's stand. I will hunt it down and share it with you. It's on my mermaid flash drive so it may take a bit of looking.
Thank you so much!!! I'll have to get these things soon and build this guy before my tail gets here. Does anybody actually store your tail on this for long periods of time like days or even weeks and know it's safe and won't hurt the tail?

SeaVixen
10-17-2014, 02:57 PM

I can't tell what pieces are used in the center part. This is exactly what I need right here. This picture helps out a alot. Any glue used or just slip them on?

Mermaid Lorelei
10-17-2014, 04:55 PM
I this it's MerMatt who gave me the idea, but you can hang your tail on the back of a door in the same manner as you would hang it on the wall, but you wouldn't need to make any holes. Let me see if I can find the photo I'm thinking of.

SeaVixen
10-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I this it's MerMatt who gave me the idea, but you can hang your tail on the back of a door in the same manner as you would hang it on the wall, but you wouldn't need to make any holes. Let me see if I can find the photo I'm thinking of.
I did that with my mertailor tail and it makes indents in the latex and I'm sure it would do the same to silicone since my silicone tail will weigh more. Plus it bends my fluke over because there's no support for the weight of the fluke. This pvc rack supports the fluke. I'll paint the rack so it doesn't look bad or anything

Marlin
10-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Gonna piggy-back on the wall mount- I just built a PVC rack and discovered that it is a pretty big pain in the fluke to actually build one that is structurally sound. The wall mounts are much cheaper and easier to put in and make your tail more of a decorative thing than a PVC rack does. IMO.

SeaVixen
10-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Just mainly looking for any step by step instructions like how long the pieces should be and such. Due to my situation I have no choice but to make one of these. My current home and next home are temporary so I can't make holes in my wall and I really don't like the idea of hanging it on the wall either. I won't have a pool for 2 years so it'll be stored for quite a while and don't want to damage it

AmbrGlows
10-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't know that I would use it for long term...just to dry it. I would think storing it flat would be best if long term. I would ask the tail maker what they recommend for sure.

SeaVixen
10-18-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know that I would use it for long term...just to dry it. I would think storing it flat would be best if long term. I would ask the tail maker what they recommend for sure.
I have scorpions that love to make homes inside of things like tails and shoes.

PearlieMae
10-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Scorpions! :shudder:

Here is my stand. The back of my monofin rests on the shorter pair, the taller pair holds the footpocket open to dry. And I can tuck it away quite easily.

SeaVixen
10-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Scorpions! :shudder:

Here is my stand. The back of my monofin rests on the shorter pair, the taller pair holds the footpocket open to dry. And I can tuck it away quite easily.

Oh wow that one looks simple and easy to make. It balances well? My tail will be roughly 30 to 35 pounds. Mernation tail

PearlieMae
10-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Mine balances fine, but my monofin is lexan and standing it on the crossbar doesnt affect it. Softer monofins might not be able to take that stress.

SeaVixen
10-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Mine balances fine, but my monofin is lexan and standing it on the crossbar doesnt affect it. Softer monofins might not be able to take that stress.
I'm getting the finis trainer. It's pretty stiff.

maressa
10-24-2014, 09:03 AM
This thread has a lot of good related info about storing your tail as well as photos of some tail stands: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3108-%26%239734%3B-Tail-Care-and-Maintenance-The-Official-Thread-%26%239734%3B&highlight=iona+hanging+tail

maressa
10-24-2014, 09:04 AM
PearlieMae nice stand! :D I LOOOOOVE your tail, too!

PearlieMae
10-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks! I LOVE swimming in it!

I should add that I also have a strap that I wrap loosely around the fluke and attach to a hook I have in a beam across my spare room, just so the cats don't knock it over when I'm not home. It's never happened, but why risk it?

Sherielle
10-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Pearlie, do you store your tail on the rack or do you just use it for drying?

PearlieMae
10-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Both...right now, it's folded up in a chair because I was working on it last night. But for the most part, I leave it on the stand. I haven't had any issues with the PVC leaving any marks or indentations on it at all.

SeaVixen
10-24-2014, 02:01 PM
This thread has a lot of good related info about storing your tail as well as photos of some tail stands: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3108-%26%239734%3B-Tail-Care-and-Maintenance-The-Official-Thread-%26%239734%3B&highlight=iona+hanging+tail
Yeah I saw that already but there wasn't any actual assembly instructions or supply list included.

SeaVixen
11-14-2014, 03:48 AM
So I talked to my mom who is a master craftsman of Anything and showed her the pix of the various tail stands I have and she said she can easily make it for me. Problem solved :) I didn't want to ask her before and caved under the pressure that she's better at that than me and I'm desperate for a stand. She thinks my mermaid stuff is silly. I rarely bring up anything mermaid related to her since she always scoffs at me or rolls her eyes about it. Just no fun when there's no one close by to talk mermaid talk with and they are actually just as interested in it as you and supports it. She doesn't even laugh at it, she thinks it's straight up dumb and a waste of time and money. :/ she's into playing keyboard instead so yeah I was scared to ask anything of her related to this but I was afraid I would screw it up and asked anyways.

PaolaMF
01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
great !!