View Full Version : Sydney Mer meetup

Tasha Mermaid
10-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Any Sydney mers want to meet up??
Im out penrith way myself and would love to organise a swim meet up with other sydney mers...... there is a nice indoor heated lane pool down my way ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Hi Tasha Mermaid!

I've recently moved back to Sydney...

I swim at Ryde Aquatic & Leisure Centre. The pools are indoors and heated. The entrance fee is $7.60. There is a small kiosk there as well as a swim shop. Parking is near the pool entrance.

I'm there sometimes during the week, depending on how hot the weather is. And usually on Saturdays 1 pm - 4 pm.

Just look out for the Chinese lady in the orange merfin.

Merman Jamie
10-24-2014, 05:00 PM
When I'm next down in Sydney (no idea when going to be with all these family issues ect....) ill be sure to have time and meet up for a swim

Tasha Mermaid
10-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Mermaid Jaffa
Do they allow tails???
Its nice at can be quieter out at my pool if you head out this way, $5 entry but no kiosk unfortunately lol

The aquatic and leisure center sounds nice, how is the chlorine content there???
And do you mind swimming with a chubby mermaid lol

Mermaid Jasmie
That sounds awesome ☺ just let me know a few days in advance and we can organize a swim ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
10-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Tasha Tasha Tasha...

Merfolk come in all shapes and colors. It would be a very boring world if everyone was like each other.

Yes, they allow tails and monofins.

Sure thing, Merman Jamie. I'll be there on Saturdays like I said.

If you're there but you don't see me, I'm prob outside having a snack where the Surf Rider thing is.

I swam in the 50m lane pool today at Ryde. They have a deep end!! I've only swam in chest high water depth and this was super refreshing, though I didn't go there much as I'm not used to deep water and prefer water I can stand in.

Chlorine has no smell, if that's what you mean. I've taken off my goggles a few times but didn't get eye pain. And the water is very crystal clear. The water do smell if you put your face right up to it, but that's expected as it is chlorine swimming pools afterall.

Mermaid Narina
10-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm from sydney! Near Penrith actually. So is Mermaid Petronella, she doesn't go on mernetwork much, but we swim together all the time, I'm sure she would love to come along!
Speaking of Penrith pool, I'm doing a photoshoot there soon!! I'm excited!

Mermaid Jaffa
10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the suburbs in Sydney. Its a long train ride isn't it? I wouldn't mind either taking a train adventure... Although I wouldn't swim just for an hour, it would be a day trip instead, swim for few hours, snack break, swim again, then go home. Then have to find the bus from the train station to the swimming pool, unless some kind mermaid can get me from the station... Haha!

@ Mermaid Narina
If you have need of a surface flopping mermaid in the background, let me know!:lol:

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Mermaid Narina, I think we are still facebook friends on our main profiles from ages ago
(Im Anythya on there)
We DEFINITELY need to finally get together to swim ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
My dilly pool does 2 hour blocks so we are best to go to the ryde aquatic center unless we went to the UNHEATED penrith pools which is all day and I can most definitely pick you up from the station ☺
If Mermaid Narina and Mermaid Petronella want to come to Ryde then you can come with my partner and I in our car ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
10-27-2014, 09:18 PM
As I was walking to the shops to get my lunch, I wondered how many merfolk one can squeeze into a lane...

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok I ask about the chlorine as some pools put heaps in to kill germs and that tends to actually burn my skin.
But if you can swim.without goggles then it should be fine ☺

Merman Jamie
10-27-2014, 09:54 PM
As I was walking to the shops to get my lunch, I wondered how many merfolk one can squeeze into a lane...

that is an interesting question. will have to try it someday

Mermaid Jaffa
10-27-2014, 09:59 PM
That's fine. I don't like strong chlorine pools either. I talked to one of the lifeguards there, he said its very clean, and they only put enough chlorine to kill bacteria in the water but not so much that people with allergies will have a problem swimming in.

As long as you don't mind the Muslim ladies in their head to toe swimgear. I know its not a regular sight everywhere, that was also my first time seeing such a lady in her swimwear outfit. Her eyes looked happy when she saw my tail though.

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Oooo good question, but how to figure that out 😕

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 10:00 PM
We need more mers lol

Heeeey, we should start our own Sydney Merpod, I would loooove that 😀

Mermaid Jaffa
10-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Its too bad some of us don't have a merwrangler. It'll be super fun to have them carry us up the stairs, wait in line with the families at the fee counter and go inside. Imagine the ear piercing squeals!

Or we could play dead and jump the queue!

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Hahaha I could totally see the kids squeal 😀

Merman Jamie
10-27-2014, 10:16 PM
that would be fun and cool to see

Tasha Mermaid
10-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Wonder if mermaids get a discount, after all, we NEED the water lol 😉

Merman Jamie
10-27-2014, 10:37 PM
also the question was posed to me just then with how many mers can we fit in a lane. is that side by side or head to tail?

Mermaid Jaffa
10-27-2014, 10:47 PM
also the question was posed to me just then with how many mers can we fit in a lane. is that side by side or head to tail?

Both!

One of the lanes next to the wall is a bit wider, the rest are regular skinny lanes.

So how many mers will fit into that wide lane?

Oh and the water is really really deep at the other end, I didn't get to try it out yet as there was a water polo game that went on all day with different teams and practice time.

And the next question is, how many mers can fit into a large Wave pool?

Merman Jamie
10-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Both!

One of the lanes next to the wall is a bit wider, the rest are regular skinny lanes.

So how many mers will fit into that wide lane?

Oh and the water is really really deep at the other end, I didn't get to try it out yet as there was a water polo game that went on all day with different teams and practice time.

And the next question is, how many mers can fit into a large Wave pool?

all very good questions that all need to be tested i think

Tasha Mermaid
10-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Oh as for the muslim women, not at all, everyone needs to cool off and have fun, our tails can be seen as just as "odd" as her clothes, each to their own ☺

Merman Jamie
10-28-2014, 02:29 AM
Oh as for the muslim women, not at all, everyone needs to cool off and have fun, our tails can be seen as just as "odd" as her clothes, each to their own ☺

very true

Mermaid Jaffa
10-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Oh now I have to finish my summer tail. Its a siren tail.

Merman Jamie
10-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Nice Jaffa

Mermaid Jaffa
10-28-2014, 11:41 PM
I have a Finis Wave one can borrow, (fits up to ladies size 8) if you haven't got tail or fin yet.
Or just want to try one out.
Just let me know when you're coming to Ryde.

Tasha Mermaid
10-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Oooo a siren tail 😀

I have a new turquoise tail im doing next, already have the material, but I also want to make a neoprene tail but havent found a cheap supplier 😕

I use the Hydra monofin myself, its beautiful, never tried a finis wave but would love to see one in person ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
10-31-2014, 05:39 PM
I changed my hours there, from 1 pm to 4 pm. As I now realize I don't want to wake up at 7 am on a Saturday to be able to make that time!

Merman Jamie
10-31-2014, 05:45 PM
lol Jaffa. Well Its my Bday today and as usual i start to wake up at about 4:30am.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-31-2014, 06:01 PM
lol Jaffa. Well Its my Bday today and as usual i start to wake up at about 4:30am.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE!!

Merman Jamie
10-31-2014, 07:02 PM
Thankyou Jaffa

Tasha Mermaid
10-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Happy birthday Jamie 😀

Merman Jamie
10-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you Tasha

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Tasha, do you swim at Ripples Penrith?

Tasha Mermaid
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Jaffa
Not since a child but I could, its about 5 mins away ☺

Tasha Mermaid
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Im up for it though ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
I've never been there, so wondering what its like.

Tasha Mermaid
11-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Well its got alot of different size pools and its got a kiosk, and parking, its very family orientated snd $5/$6 entry from when I last checked.

It USED to be known for kids peeing in pools but im going back years now lol

No heated pools and all outdoors

We could totally meet up for a swim there if you like???

But im still willing to come to ryde also ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I was looking on the internet about Penrith... Was just curious which pool it was and came across Ripples. I used to go to the TAFE there, studied Fine Arts.

I think I like my new pool better. I've gotten to know some of the life guards, and they're used to seeing me in my fish tails!

Merman Jamie
11-04-2014, 06:19 PM
I've gotten to know some of the life guards, and they're used to seeing me in my fish tails!

lol. So when you go there they are like, its just Jaffa and keep walking? or do they ask you for pictures as well and have a good chat with you? or a bit of both?

Mermaid Jaffa
11-04-2014, 06:35 PM
lol. So when you go there they are like, its just Jaffa and keep walking? or do they ask you for pictures as well and have a good chat with you? or a bit of both?
Well 2 weeks ago, I went for a Wednesday swim because it was a super hot day... So there I was just in my Merfin splashing about in the Wave pool, they had the lane things in so i swam in the shallows.

I kept hearing adult voices say, "Mermaid" a couple of times. When I surfaced a small group of the life guards had gathered and watching me swim.
Now when they see me, they say, "Hello Mermaid. How are you today?"

Merman Jamie
11-04-2014, 07:21 PM
NICE

Mermaid Jaffa
11-04-2014, 08:27 PM
And I swear, it gets crowded with kids soon as I flop into the water!! Methinks there are spies there!

Merman Jamie
11-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Me thinks you are right about the spies Jaffa

just wait till there are multiple mers in the pool. population at the pool will explode

Tasha Mermaid
11-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Hahaha thats awesome; I cant wait to come swimming with you there 😀

Mermaid Jaffa
11-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Will be showing off my Summer Tail on Saturday...

Merman Jamie
11-06-2014, 01:29 AM
nice Jaffa

Tasha Mermaid
11-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Oooo summer tail 😀

Mermaid Jaffa
11-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Another sweltering day tomorrow, I think I'll stay there the whole day!

Merman Jamie
11-21-2014, 03:46 AM
to much humidity every ware

Staying at a pool all day dose sound really nice tho

Mermaid Jaffa
12-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I won't be there on Saturday 13th, as I'm to my niece's ballet concert. I will be at the pool on Sunday instead.

And since its school holidays, I'll be swimming on Sundays instead. There are more lanes in the deep end. At the same times, 1 - 4 pm.

Tasha Mermaid
01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Hey Pod, sorry i havent been on... christmas got so full on *sigh* my life should re-settle after the 15th.
How was everyones chrissy and new year?? ☺

Big squishy fishy hugs to you all xo

Mermaid Silverlilly
01-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Lol Just wanted to say imagine the publicity if there are kids at moreton island when we are all there with our tails lol that will attract the kids :)

Mermaid Jaffa
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
hi Tasha! I sent you a msg about MerQuest Australia, did you read it yet?

Merman Jamie
01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Lol Just wanted to say imagine the publicity if there are kids at moreton island when we are all there with our tails lol that will attract the kids :)

very true

the looks on there faces will be priceless

Tasha Mermaid
01-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Hahaha that would be totally awesome though.....this Mer loves kiddies ☺

Sure did Jaffa lol

We need a lil sydney meet beforehand though, can we organise that for near the end of Jan ???? ☺

Mermaid Jaffa
01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Sure thing. Any weekend if fine by me.

Tasha Mermaid
02-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Well... jan turned out to be one verrrry busy month :(
I was so run off my feet, and worst part was the chlorine at the penrith ripples (i went with a young merman for his 11th bday) totally killed my tail.....the little bits of purple stained it all :'(
So now i no longer have a rainbow tail but a washed out purple one *sigh*

How was everyone elses month???

Mermaid Jaffa
02-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Well... jan turned out to be one verrrry busy month :(
I was so run off my feet, and worst part was the chlorine at the penrith ripples (i went with a young merman for his 11th bday) totally killed my tail.....the little bits of purple stained it all :'(
So now i no longer have a rainbow tail but a washed out purple one *sigh*

How was everyone elses month???

Aw poop about your tail, Tasha! Are you going to repaint it or shop around for a new one?

My month has been fine, it would be even better if I had landed a job by now. But it seems the downside of moving to Sydney is you get way more competition for jobs and cheaper workers.

Swim wise, it has been great! I've been practicing with a smaller monofin, to build up core strength as I have very little of it, the Finis Foil and it is super! I even managed a small fish hop out of the water like the guy who did the monofin jump on youtube. Not cursing my buoyancy anymore as it has been VERY helpful in propelling me very fast to the surface to practice more Fish Hops!

And depending on the pool schedule, I usually go during midweek only if there is 6 or more lanes, so I can swim in the deep end. Otherwise, swimming during weekends, I'm stuck in the shallow end and that's not fun when you're flipping tricks and trying not to smash one's head and face on the pool floor.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-14-2015, 01:37 AM
I found out yesterday at the pool, there is no waterpolo on Saturdays during winter. I have the entire deep end to myself, well in lanes, but I swim underwater so the lanes really don't count!
So the whole afternoon, 12 pm to closing time... It feels so luxurious!:lol:

Mer-Crazy
06-14-2015, 01:39 AM
GAH I NEED to come down to Sydney for a visit. My Grandparents live there. Plus I need to meet all you lovely Sydney mers :)

Mermaid Jaffa
06-14-2015, 01:45 AM
We're not doing a meetup, I was just letting whoever know that Saturday is the best time to go for a winter swim...

Mer-Crazy
06-14-2015, 02:22 AM
I gathered :) I just said it'd be nice to come down to Sydney for a visit (I was born there and all of my extended family live there)

Mermaid Jaffa
06-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Lol! Winter holiday in Sydney!

Anh Vu
12-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Any sydney mermaids still here?~ :)

Mermaid Jaffa
12-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Any sydney mermaids still here?~ :)

Yep! I live near Ryde. Where in Sydney are you?

Anh Vu
12-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Jaffa! I live around Bankstown :)

Mermaid Jaffa
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Hi Jaffa! I live around Bankstown :)

I used to live near there, many many years ago.