PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mermaid Tops??

Mermaid Saphira
11-13-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm a bit of a modest mermaid, and while I love shell tops I hate all the décolletage! I would much rather have a top like a Tankini, but I believe it won't be very mermaid-ish :( Any one Have ideas? Opinions? Help?

Mermaid Saphira
11-13-2011, 04:13 PM
What do you guys think about my halter style designs??

PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE
DESIGNS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!!

taom
11-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I love them! I think they look very mermaid-esque!

Mermaid Saphira
11-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Oh, good. I thought they would end up looking like last years swimsuits LOL
Thanx, I'm planning on making one or the other but I can't decide...

Spindrift
11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
The second one!

Mermaid Saphira
11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
That style has been my favorite for years Glad u like it :)

taom
11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree with Spindrift!

Damica
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree. I like the 2nd one. The top one would be cool if you have layers of netting for the bottom. It would float nicely in the water, but also have that mermaidy flair.

Mermaid Saphira
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Ohhh, mermaid fashionista we have here! I love the netting idea, sounds beautiful!

Damica
11-16-2011, 10:15 PM
My friend is trying to do mermaiding as a profession, so I sew a portion of her tops and accessories because if a glue gun so much as looks at her she has glued herself to the floor. Also, I had a medical issue that left my midsection very scarred up and it's a sore spot for me. I have been trying to thing of creative ways to keep it covered but still be every bit and majestic. not sure how well it will work, but modest mermaids rock *nods nods*

Mermaid Marla
11-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Mermaid Aqua! Please check out mermaidshelly.com "Shell labs" as she makes custom tops to match your tail! I believe they are exactly what you are looking for!!

kazekoh
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
You could also paint scales or make a nice scaly texture with Sequins if you wanted :> I am personally somewhat of a modest person too~ I don't mind shells..but I don't wanna run around like that lol.

Mermaid Saphira
11-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Glad I'm not the only modest mermaid. I love all of your ideas they sound wonderful! I am probably going to make a bikini top out of my leftover tail material and then do fish netting for the bottom section. I'll draw a sketch of it later, but just wanted to express my idea for now :)

Mermaid Saphira
11-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Newest design!!!!!!! Feedback please!!!!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS
DESIGN WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

MermanMatty
11-18-2011, 06:16 PM
It's really cute!

But Eric (Mertailor) already has those out.

Still cute though :)))

MermanMatty
11-18-2011, 06:21 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/mattquijano2010/mertop.jpg

but usually without the octopus and he even offers silicone corsets with a top like that attached

MermanMatty
11-18-2011, 06:25 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/mattquijano2010/mercorset.jpg

Mermaid Corset from Mertailor

Mermaid Saphira
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I did not steal his design. I don't even look at his site so I wouldn't know, but my design is not like his.
My top has netting for the bottom as well the top. This is my own creation....

Mermaid Saphira
11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Waiting for swatches to come in.....
Still waiting! LOL! I am sooo impatient!

RêveD'eau
11-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Just because someone else has something that is similar, which I don't really think either of those are like her design, doesn't mean she can't make her own....

Aqua~ I made something like that, I only had one day lol so it's kinda messy but https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=126059670808814&set=a.125062250908556.31802.125049947576453&type=3&theater you can see it there. I like your design, you should totally go for it!!

Mermaid Saphira
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Whoa! Your top is incredible!! I am hoping to make my top as soon as I get more xmas money..LOL! And Thanx :)

Siren of the Sea
01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok, so here's my situation: I don't want to wear a shell bra, bikini, or anything like that: I want much more coverage. But I still want to look mermaidy. Basically, I want very little if any tummy showing, but I don't mind if my upper back shows. Also the front can be rather low as I do not have much up there if you know what I mean (lol) and thus stuff can be lower than some people before I show cleavage. Something flowy could be an option; someone mentioned maybe a seaweed peasent blouse to me on another website (not a mermaid one). So...thoughts? :)

~Meriel Enna

aWittleNoob
01-18-2012, 10:38 PM
i think a seawee ish looking wrap would steal look cool :P

HBMermaid_Angela
01-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Siren of the Sea - Mermaid Shelly makes different tops and some of them are modest. Go to her website and check them out. If you already have a tail she can paint the top to look like/match your tail.

www.mermaidshelly.com (http://www.mermaidshelly.com)

Siren of the Sea
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks girls! I'll have to let you know what I do. :)

I'm actually considering a bit less coverage now, but to me bikini's are still too skimpy, I wouldn't feel comfortable, lol. XD But that gives me more options anyway. :)

Mermaid Saphira
02-07-2012, 07:50 PM
^ Tube top might work better, one that comes just an inch above your belly botton :)

Siren of the Sea
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, that sounds like an option, mermaid aqua! :)

If I was brave enough, I like this option here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?556-I-made-a-mermaid-top :D

Mermaid Saphira
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
LOL! Totally! :D

ScheherazOdd
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Y'all could try a flesh-colored leotard with shells or scales or what-have-you glued over the boobs. Or nix the shells altogether, if your mermaid persona isn't a mammal it would be logical not to have nipples.

Mermaid Saphira
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
^ Thats an idea...I still prefer the idea of a tube top. That is what I am doing for my lastest tail :)

Siren of the Sea
03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh wow that sounds like from PotC: OST. When the mers were underwater that's pretty much how they looked. :)

Mermaid Saphira
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
DREAM TOP: A sports bra ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Back-Close-Seamless-Sports-Bra/15540005 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Back-Close-Seamless-Sports-Bra/15540005) ) covered in faux seaweed with little faux pearls and small sea shells :D

Mermaid Dottie
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh Good! I'm not the only modest one out there! I was hunting around for mermaid top ideas so I could be a little more creative than just wearing my walmart tankini under my (sadly, fabric) tail and I found the network. How awesome!

Kanti
03-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Halter tops are always a cute idea! They usually don't cover a lot in the back but the front looks cute :'D

Gem Stone
03-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Those are cute!

Mermaid Lorelei
03-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I love those halter tops Kanti!

Kanti
03-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Yea I thought they were super cute looking
But don't give me any credit, I literally just googled "halter tops" xD

Mermaid Dottie
03-27-2012, 11:03 PM
My new mwermaiding top. Definitely an improvement from my one-piece swimsuit. Plenty of room for my growing baby bump too.

Gem Stone
03-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Thts amazing! Did you make it yourself?

Mermaid Jewel
03-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Colored duct tape!! Haha that stuff is amazing :) Pretty awesome top :D

Mermaid Dottie
03-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you much! Yes I did make it myself. I have to admit that part of the construction came from http://www.firefly-path.net/?p=1272.
Really beautiful stuff she's got. I use her for inspiration all the time.
Shockingly, Ductape is pretty waterproof on it's own if you use grocery bags for lining....
I'll get back on later and explain exactly how I did it if you want, but I gotta go to work now. Day jobs are boring, no?

ShyMer
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Oh hey, I know that site. I was really into their fairy wings for a while, back when I was trying to make mine with fabric. She has some nice stuff there.

Mermaid Dottie
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Okay I promised I would come back and explain how I made my top, and today's my day off, so here you go.

First, I took an old-ish bra and stitched on some of the leftover fabric from my tail onto the boobs, then I added the nude color on the bottom (I hate showing my belly...) and onto the side straps (you know, the ones that go around your ribs).
I then hand stitch on leaves from fake flowers around all the edges that I wanted them on (I was going for cleavage coverage).
After that, I set it aside and used my dress form, though you can use yourself, if you can get a hand from someone, to begin making the duct tape.... shells?
I pinned a shopping bag on the form, but you can tape one onto a bra that's close to the same size as your other that your using. Grocery bags make the ductape water resistant. Carefully lay some base duct tape in as flat of strips as you can get over your boobs. They don't have to be perfect since you'll put another layer on later. it's also best to use regular hardware duct tape for a base. Coat each breast. Remove the bra (put a shirt back on, just in case) and lay your decorative duct tape over the top nice and neat.

Remove them from your good bra and add a couple more layers of tape for stiffness. Get a big, FAT tapestry needle and poke holes pretty much all the way around about 1/2 an inch in on each shell. Get some fake flowers and beads. get a slightly smaller needle, some good thick thread (like the stuff in doilies) and thread your needle.

Put a really BIG knot in the end of your thread and repeat the following as far around as you want your flowers:
1. Poke the needle through the bottom of the duct tape shell and pull until it stops.
2. Poke through the bottom of a flower and add a bead. Push both items down until close to tape.
3. Put the needle back through the flower and the duct tape.
4. Repeat with next hole.

When you get all the way around add a blanket stitch for greater sewing ease. Don't worry, the flowers will hide it.
Stitch the shells onto the bra using the thread you blanket stitched (or you can just use your holes you poked before, up to you) and then decorate your straps according to your desire. I crocheted strips of the nude material onto mine, and it ended up looking like rope.

And that's how I made it.

Mermaid Dottie
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh hey, I know that site. I was really into their fairy wings for a while, back when I was trying to make mine with fabric. She has some nice stuff there.
Totally. The tutorial I used is for the bra she put on Traci Hines. Loved it!

Mermaid Dottie
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I know I was the last one to post in here, but I just wanted to share these designs I came up with.
It feels wrong to keep them to myself when modest tops are so hard to find.

Please feel free to use or modify any of these designs for yourselves. :D

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
What about fantasy-style armor? Maybe something resembling shells, coral, lobster, pearls, or greco-roman plate might be an interesting look for a mermaid.

Thalassa
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Here's a picture of the mermaid top I just finished making. I'm trying to decide if I like the shells and net halter, but for my first attempt at anything mer I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! ^_^

Mermaid Annariea
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
i really like joy&raptorsunrestrained's idea about the armor-type thing. :DD

Mermaid Saphira
06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
That is such a cute idea! Seriously, what can't duct tape be used for? LOL

Mermaid Saphira
06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Here's a picture of the mermaid top I just finished making. I'm trying to decide if I like the shells and net halter, but for my first attempt at anything mer I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! ^_^

That is so cute :)

Mermaid Saphira
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I know I was the last one to post in here, but I just wanted to share these designs I came up with.
It feels wrong to keep them to myself when modest tops are so hard to find.

Please feel free to use or modify any of these designs for yourselves. :D

Thank you, dear! These are lovely :)

Thalassa
06-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Aqua! You can't see it because of the flash, but I made the edges of the layers raggedy so it looks like leaves/seaweed wrapped around. I'm excited to wear it! ;-)

Mermaid Jewel
06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, I saw this swim top while I was on ModCloth...it's definitely modest but super cute and might work for those who want a little more covered up. I'd love to get this one!

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/twopiece-swimwear/hollywood-hills-swimsuit-top

babsannee
06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I LOVE MODCLOTH. It's literally the only place I shop. They have another top like that is blue that would be really cool.

Mermaid Saphira
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Hello my dear! of course you can, this the reason i made this thread..for inspiration and advice :D
How would you make a modest top on a budget? By the way, Mermaid Aqua, may I base a top off of your design?(Edit) :Yay! This is my first post!

Mermaid Dottie
07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Also, how well has your duck tape held up? Duck tape that is coloured typically doesn't stay in water very well.
It's held up quite nicely, actually, although it's a little small for me at the moment, what with a bulging baby bump and all. If you're thinking that I colored on it, I just bought the tie-dye patterned duct tape from walmart.
One of the best ways to keep duct tape from falling apart in water is to use plastic grocery bags as a base and then tape onto that.

Thalassa
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
@Thalassa-- HOW DID YOU MAKE THIS?! D:

It wasn't terribly hard. I went to a secondhand store and bought a halter tankini top for about $3 and some broken shell necklaces for another $3. I also bought some green swim fabric from a craft store for about $4 (I got half a yard), some green chiffon for $2 (half yard), and some netting ($10 for a LOT). I'm trying to remember what I did first...

1) Basically I cut a few strips of the swim fabric, about 4 inches wide. I didn't worry about the length or even cutting it straight in a line because I wanted a raggedyish appearance. In fact, later on I bunched the fabric as I cut it to make it look more like seaweed/leaves.

2) I then started at the bottom and sewed the strips to the tankini, overlapping them a bit and only sewing them at the top. The hardest part of this was the bra area because the top I was using already had bra inserts and I had to maneuver a bit to not sew over that. One of the strips I sewed a strip of chiffon and on top of it to get that lighter green.

3) Once I got all the green on I cut off the existing halter strings and replaced them by hand-sewing netting to the top. I actually mis-measured and and going to have to trip some netting off so the top stays up where I want it to, but better too much than too little! XD I did pre-wash the netting with fabric softener to try and soften it a bit.

4) I hand-stitched shells from the broken necklaces to random places on the top. I literally closed my eyes and tossed a shell, and where it landed I sewed it. XD

Anyway, this might not have made much sense but it wasn't too hard to figure out and do (and I'm definitely no seamstress)! Hope this helps others.

Raayvhen
07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
The other thing you could do is make a longer tail! I've seen one or two that go all the way up and turn into halters instead of stopping at the waist.

Mermaid Jewel
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm warning you, colored duct tape DOES NOT stay well when wet. However, I think it will stay when stuck to itself or certain surfaces and such. The reason I'm warning you is we use colored duct tape as toe tape at my dance studio, and it comes off fast when we get all sweaty (sorry for the icky lol). However, I noticed when it's stuck to itself it stays better, though it slides down. So make sure the ends of the duct tape is stuck to itself (I meant to more duct tape)! I'm just afraid that if the water gets into the fabric or underneath it, it'll unstick.

Bellasea
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I used duct tape to make a temporary ankle strap for my monofin. It stayed stuck together (sticky side of duct tape to sticky side) when it was wet.

Mermiah
03-17-2014, 03:00 PM
The first top I made was a bit like that :) I sewed some bits of blue glassy sea looking beads to it in spots too on the netting :) came out great from the bottom of the Brest down /).- but then I turned the top with an ugly granny square lol I don't know what I was thinking :eyeroll:

Mermaid Jaffa
03-19-2014, 12:10 AM
I just bought some sports bras with fuller coverage. Going to cover them in the fabric to match the tail, I plan on trying to make.

I've read of other people who use skin colored bras and cover it with stuff.

Sparklebubble13
04-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Well if you still want a top to look mermaid-ish but still modest, I've seen a lot of tops that just appear to be the regular shell bra, but also have a piece of netting,like a fishing net to tie it off like a tankini. But that's just what i've seen others make.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-20-2014, 01:24 AM
I saw a corset like thing in the bra shop I went to last weekend.

It wasn't a full corset. It was fairly wide under the boobs, and covered the ribs (yes, I tried it on!)

Like a balconette bra, I think that's what its called.

mermaidgeek
08-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Check out merbella studios, they have awesome tops. Just search merbella tops and you'll come up with tops of all shapes colors and sizes.

Mermaid Wesley
08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
The corset thing was probably a long-line bra or a bustier (spelling?)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-17-2014, 01:29 AM
I finally caved and bought this one in beige... Hopefully, I have enough Daisy print lycra fabric to cover this and make my last tail for winter!
http://www.zodee.com.au/intimates/bridal-special-occasion/torsolettes-bustiers/p36809-le-mystere-soiree-bustier#.U_A9WPmSxXM

I did a search for "corset bras", so one can try that and see if the style suits you.

Mermaid Galene
08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
I recently bought tankini this to on Amazon to go with the sequin tail I'm making. (I already had bought the belt, scarf, and necklace). I expect to do a lot of library shows in this tail, so I wanted something a little warmer and family friendly. I'll make a freshwater mermaid crown, and be good to go!

BTW, that's not me, lol!

Mermaid Jaffa
08-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Not a fan of the Monoboob...

Mermaid Galene
08-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I see two breasts there...

Raayvhen
08-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Also when searching for those structured bras, try searching longline bras.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-18-2014, 12:38 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I see two breasts there...

The Monoboob is when ONE piece of fabric stretches across both breast, that may appears to some as one boob...

Hence, the Monoboob!

Here's another description...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=monoboob

anichanchu
08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
I really want to get one of these tops

and dec it out with sequins or something. I thought it'd be a cool and pretty modest idea :)

Raayvhen
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
That would be super easy to DIY.

Mermaid Galene
08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Huh. Well, I still see two breasts, and I think the top is beautiful. Just my opinion, and just an option I thought it was worth pointing out.

Mermaid Galene
08-18-2014, 05:39 PM
I like those tops, Anichanchu. Looks like there's still a decent chance for spillage over the cups, though.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Huh. Well, I still see two breasts, and I think the top is beautiful. Just my opinion, and just an option I thought it was worth pointing out.

That's cool. You choose the style you love best. Don't worry about what I said or anyone else. Its just my own personal choice that I do not like the monoboob look.

anichanchu
08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I like those tops, Anichanchu. Looks like there's still a decent chance for spillage over the cups, though.

Most likely. I think I'm gonna try that style though, just with a better upper bit. :)

Mermaid Galene
08-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Anil if you get one of those and modify it, post a pic. It's definitely a cool style!

Mermaid Galene
08-19-2014, 12:19 AM
No worries, Irene! Variety is the spice of life!

anichanchu
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Anil if you get one of those and modify it, post a pic. It's definitely a cool style!
I think I'll be doing it soon-ish :) Have to have my check first, haha.

I also found this for anyone worried about the top being an issue
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDQwMA==/z/Q-MAAOxypstRYbbP/$T2eC16N,!)!E9s2f!pt!BRYbbPmObQ~~60_12.JPG?rt=nc from here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sexy-New-Sleeveless-Solid-Mock-Turtle-Neck-Solid-Crop-Cut-Off-Half-Shirt-Top/111048083278?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D24189%26meid%3D55acdd20039c490584cbe01ed18d d94a%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3 D10%26sd%3D191085966880)

AmbrGlows
08-22-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm a bit modest myself...especially since my stomach is as white as paper and from my chest up is tan. I just created the greated top ever 2 weeks ago but never posted pics. I'll be making two more this weekend and will post pictures of all 3 when I'm done.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-09-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm just wondering why every top maker only makes the halter neck style??

I have a swimsuit in the halterneck style which I rarely wear even though its the most expensive one I ever bought! Bought on overseas trip...

When I did wear it, it feels like my swimmers are trying to strangle me! Which is why atm, I'm looking at ways to turn my Fin fun swimmers, I got the bikini and tankini tops, into racer or cross back tops.

Also, I never realized until now, how much menopause makes one feel so bloated... I'm like a skinny binny with a big fat tummy! Which looks very odd when one goes into a swimsuit... I've had strange old ladies asking me, when its due or if its a boy or a girl!

Mermaid Morgann
09-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Siren Tide is currently working on a set of tops made entirely of netting. It would be very easy to make ours modest. One girl's top even has little net sleeves and a bow! The other is a halter style. I do like to deviate from the norm with tops and can't wait to do the sleeves on Lorelie's top because they will be very cute and very fun. If you do a full netting top modesty is quite easy to achieve. You simply make the netting extend down to your hips, and then create sleeves!

Mermaid Jaffa
09-11-2014, 01:25 AM
That sounds super but I'm allergic to acrylic fibers. I don't wear acrylic jumpers or netting made with plastic rope.

Mermaid Galene
09-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Irene, all of us post menopause mermaids can relate to the tummy issue! It's just biology; fat redistributes in the absence of estrogen. But that's incentive for us to be creative in full coverage tops!

My latest idea is to start with a triathlon suit base, since they zip up the front, then add sequins. Some tri suiits have designs that look a lot like reef fish:

http://tinyurl.com/n58edlm

AniaR
09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
The halter style stays on the best. Otherwise straps fall off your shoulders. And strapless is dangerous lol. I think halter is easy to make, easy to size, and stays on

Mermaid Galene
09-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm with Raina. I really prefer a halter top. It usually ties behind the neck, as opposed to sliding strap adjustment, so you can quickly get it precisely as tight as you want it. And it shows off those lovely mermaid shoulders!

PearlieMae
09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Top? nahnah nah nah nah!

Sorry, not sorry...just teasing. My top is built in.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Racerback top? Will that slide off too?

Mermaid Jaffa
09-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Top? nahnah nah nah nah!

Sorry, not sorry...just teasing. My top is built in.
Stop flashing your purple scales at me!!:lol:

Mermaid Galene
09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Nobody can top Pearlie's top!

Echidna
09-11-2014, 04:37 PM
My best-looking top is, by far, my hair.
Everything else looks fabricated.

It was very modest too ;)
(at least while I wasn't moving. I fear it's not very practical for swiming :p )

Mermaid Wesley
09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
I personally don't like the way racerbacks look, but they should work fine. I can actually only wear halters for the most part because of strap lengths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
09-12-2014, 12:47 AM
I like racerbacks. For the summer tail that's still in the works, I'm going to sew a large dorsal fin onto the Y of the racerback.

Mermaid Galene
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
That's a great idea, Irene!

Sherielle
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I like racerbacks. For the summer tail that's still in the works, I'm going to sew a large dorsal fin onto the Y of the racerback.
I love that idea. I've been wanting a dorsal that goes up my back.

PearlieMae
09-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I personally don't like the way racerbacks look, but they should work fine. I can actually only wear halters for the most part because of strap lengths

Strap lengths and your huge rack! :jawdrop:

:jelly:

Mermaid Morgann
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Late last night I had an idea (which may or may not be terrible or even possible). A silicone scale-patterned one piece swimsuit. Pull a tail over it and then the scales can sort of blend together. That, or you can ever create snaps on the swimsuit top and the tail to snap and hold the pieces together. OR you could even do a waist fin (like Ariel) which divides the scales up.

Wonder if those would be possible or even work. Now I'm curious to see someone try!

Mermaid Wesley
09-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Strap lengths and your huge rack! :jawdrop:

:jelly:

-_____- they're a pain in the tail. flippin' boobs.

-Annwyn-
09-12-2014, 06:49 PM
I can vouch for the huge rack thing. E-cup here, and a halter neck style is better at supporting the twins than a standard bra strap style. Just that I need really wide straps with my halter neck, otherwise it will cut into my neck and shoulders.

Ah, how I wish I had breasts small enough that I could just slap starfish pasties on and be done with it. :cry::cool:

Mermaid Galene
09-12-2014, 07:00 PM
FinFun sells tankinis that match the scale pattern on their tails: http://www.finfunmermaid.com/swim-suits-and-sets/mermaid-tops/tankinis-new.html

Mermaid Jaffa
01-27-2015, 06:56 AM
Late last night I had an idea (which may or may not be terrible or even possible). A silicone scale-patterned one piece swimsuit. Pull a tail over it and then the scales can sort of blend together. That, or you can ever create snaps on the swimsuit top and the tail to snap and hold the pieces together. OR you could even do a waist fin (like Ariel) which divides the scales up.

Wonder if those would be possible or even work. Now I'm curious to see someone try!

Not a top but I did buy this recently as my main one piece swimsuit was starting to loose its shape!
Its a post surgery swimsuit, though I am not one myself, it is very comfy and does not ride up my butt...

I'll paint it up once I get some work and pay. It goes with my current tail too as it is a very dark blue, almost black tail.
I now make all my tails with an elastic waistband so it does look like I have a fish waist!

Mermaidbubbles12
02-10-2015, 09:33 PM
I've been looking for a more modest look too! And I must say love the design with netting MUST TRY!(but a little different (;

Dancing Fish
02-16-2015, 10:09 AM
I've been playing with the idea of a nude powermesh body stocking to cover my belly. Or a fishnet body stocking. I've got a few left over from my bellydancing years and was toying with making the top a full one-piece custom swimsuit that could be worn even without the tail. I wonder if it would make the silicone more or less likely to gap at the waist when I swim, though. Does silicone like to cling more to smooth skin or fabric?

MermaidCelesteFL
02-17-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm very self conscious about my stomach rolling over the top of my tail, so Nerine built in netting under my shells that goes over my waist to distract from the pudge.

Ciriun
06-26-2015, 08:20 PM
My current plan is just wearing a pretty one piece swim suit under whatever tail I get. I know it looks less authentic, but I would rather that than risk showing my stomach.

AmbrGlows
06-26-2015, 09:22 PM
I wear two piece tankinis with my tails. That way it's easier for when I need to go to the bathroom, it looks more realistic and my belly is still covered.

Ciriun
06-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm just paranoid that the tank part won't stay in place well enough. Seriously, I don't even want to flash my belly at people, not as it is currently.

AmbrGlows
06-26-2015, 09:58 PM
I've not had that problem with mine. Even in the lazy river when it's got a good moving current.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-27-2015, 01:00 AM
I made one piece fish suit recently. It matches my current practice tail. Its racerback with wide 4 cm straps, lining on both sides and sewn in bra cups. The lining is dark fabric from a previous tail...
Behold my blubbery goodness!:lol:

Mermaid Nerida
06-27-2015, 01:35 AM
I made one piece fish suit recently. It matches my current practice tail. Its racerback with wide 4 cm straps, lining on both sides and sewn in bra cups. The lining is dark fabric from a previous tail...
Behold my blubbery goodness![emoji38]
Jaffa, that is so cute! Omg, I love it!

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!

Ciriun
06-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Jaffa, if only I had even half your talent for sewing... :thumbs up: I'm still trying to figure out how to sew a teabag that won't fray inside. Until then, maybe I should start looking at tankinis. I've got plenty of time to research options. Ambr, are there any specific features I should be looking for, or would just any sort do?

Mermaid Jaffa
06-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Thank you both! I just traced my old swimsuit, added the fixtures (dorsal fin and side panels), and altered the leg cut. I had made it first as boyleg but didn't like it so I changed it to granny pants style!

Also kudos to you mers that can hold your phone with one hand... My phone was so slippery I had to use both!:lol:

CheshireKat
06-27-2015, 03:54 AM
I've got size G-H cup. So I feel ya on that whole modesty thing (no string bikini is gonna hold these puppies in). I'm modifying a halter and a bikini top from target with the same tail fabric I got so I'll match. You could try that?

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

AmbrGlows
06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/a660640aeef5b314e3e246aa28e0e486.png
This is my store bought tankini top. It was originally a halter top but I attached the halter straps to the back to make it tank top style instead.

Mermaid Jaffa
07-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Another thing to look for is, Shapewear. Its in the lingerie section of any online shops. Its basically a one piece body suit, made of swim suit material. They also have them in tankini tops. It looks very paintable...
http://au.triumph.com/shapewear#T1018204=12C&T1018207=1420088 (http://au.triumph.com/shapewear/shape-sensation-bodysuit/w1/i1530501_1419450/)

Princess Kae-Leah
07-13-2015, 01:15 AM
I'm generally a very modest person, but I've found my attempts on modesty when in-tail haven't turned out that great for the most part. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1535454_10100310072454459_1095866947840722957_n.jp g?oh=dd3c9dac8b3e7ae91b65c1ec58426fb0&oe=561F1C71
This t-shirt from Adorkable is a modest look for casual shoots or dipping your fluke in the pool
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p206x206/317223_214464335276894_4919918_n.jpg?oh=0f8e1c06fc 6cfdc39dfe7279f079d96c&oe=5627B1EE
An old picture with me trying to make my bra look both more modest and more mermaidy by covering it with a lei from Party City, probably not very practical for swimming though, but this trick could work for photo shoots and dry events at least
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/316671_212949018761759_1136420_n.jpg?oh=867f0dba69 784d73214ab4b95e4beef5&oe=562504F6
Another old pic of one idea I had to be modest in shoots, by wearing a flesh-tone T-shirt with my lei for a "faux topless mermaid" look, but it didn't turn out that great...
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/430651_355041807849309_248016019_n.jpg?oh=8f82cb3d d4dbf0ff50363fc9aa3961d4&oe=5619DFBE
Another attempt at covering my bra up with pearls and a lei, actually turned out nice in this shoot. This trick may be a good option for like dry shoots/events around children or if you just want to be on the more modest side. It looks fairly believably mermaidy without wearing *just* a bra top/shells

Mermaid Jaffa
07-13-2015, 02:09 AM
@PKL - I just wear a matching one piece swimsuit with my tails.

Princess Anouk
07-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi there! I knot the problem! I don't like to show much skin, and I have an ugly scar on my back (It's actually more a hole...)
What about this idea? This mermaid is from a German movie. I personaly really like the one-shoulder look.

Mermaid Muir
07-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Hi there! I knot the problem! I don't like to show much skin, and I have an ugly scar on my back (It's actually more a hole...)
What about this idea? This mermaid is from a German movie. I personaly really like the one-shoulder look.

OOO that is so cool! I love how it seems to just flow! Thanks for sharing!

Ciriun
07-27-2015, 08:54 PM
I personally wouldn't trust just one sleeve, but that tail looks amazing! I really love the sparkly belly scales!

PearlieMae
07-27-2015, 08:57 PM
I made my tail to be a one piece with a halter style built in top, but my back is uncovered from neck to butt.

Mermaid Jaffa
07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
You could still have that one shoulder look with two straps. Just have the other strap in flesh or clear straps.

I love my one piece fish look! I haven't been wearing it as much, since it is now winter and the air out of the pool is so cool!

Mermaid Miranda
10-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Mostly Modest Mermaid Miranda here! I have some sketches one works. I'll post them as soon as I can get a photo of them, because my scanner is dead.
for those lovely mers seeking more coverage, ever thought of a pirate type top? Maybe you could have your mersona or whatnot have stolen it off a shipwreck or a very handsome pirate? A larger men's button down would work well. You could tack the sleeves to be permanently rolled up and sew/knot the bottom to fit better. Then you could wear an average swim top beneath for support but no one would see it.

Mermaid Miranda
10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Oh, Princess Anouk, you could always say a fisherman caught you but you managed to get the hook out and swim away!

Mermaid Jaffa
10-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Mahina Mermaid now sells a scaled swim shirt, that you could alter if you wanted to.
http://www.mahinamermaid.com/shop/mer-rashirt.html

theMerFanc
10-08-2015, 08:41 PM

This is a top I actually made as a chestplate to protect my gals while fencing because well it hurts damnit >.< But I think it would totally work as a bra top and because it is a halter it is a bit more modest. I could also easily make it longer for someone who wanted to cover their tummy :) Plus scales=awesomeness. And they jingle :P (obviously it would be worn without the undershirt for swimming but I wear a shirt under it when fencing so I can get ready in public without having to get nekkid...

MermaidBrandie
10-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Could you really swim in metal scale mail and yarn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Starfrit
10-20-2015, 09:56 AM
It's entirely possible, though it might be a little bit heavy. Aluminum scales hold up pretty well in chlorine, from what I've heard, though I don't know about the lifespan of yarn. I know regular water doesn't really do much to it, but I wonder what effect repeated exposure to pool chlorine would do to it. :P

MermaidBrandie
10-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh the scales would rust or anything, aluminum doesn't do that easily, but I'd be worried about the yarn taking on water and stretching down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
10-20-2015, 10:21 AM
This cord will hold up in water, not stretch or absorb much and you can crochet your scales into place: http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h205355bs

theMerFanc
10-20-2015, 01:06 PM
I've asked around in my knitting groups and my chainmaille groups. If seen people who make bikini tops from scale maille and they have no issues with salt or chlorine water. As for the yarn, I was told as long as it is 100% cotton, it won't absorb the water or cause any weight issue, so it would b no heavier then it is out of the water. I've yet to test this out myself as the one I made is not with the correct yarn. But I also make scaled arm warmers and I plan to make a water safe pair soon for testing :D

I also ant to experiment with things like hemp rope and fishing nets and whatnot to knit with and see how that works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OceanRose
10-20-2015, 09:01 PM
From what I understand, natural materials break down more easily than man-made fibres so cotton is not advised for extended chlorine or water contact.

PearlieMae
10-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Cotton stretches and falls apart in water. They make ropes for boats out of nylon.

Mermaid Freyja
10-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Cotton stretches and falls apart in water. They make ropes for boats out of nylon.

PearlieMae is right. Plus, you can dye most nylon any color your heart desires! I use Dharma acid dye.

Mermaid Amelia Pond
12-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Here's the top I plan on using as a base for my top

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/d4ffe20b694b1c66b885b33125adfe4e.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/213360feab66153bc2e26edd56281a26.jpg

Add scales, fins & pearls

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Amelia Pond
12-07-2015, 01:43 AM
My daughter's top from last year

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/c7dd3b41111517478adf1ac69748a52c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/4305ba63e82fb724171fec6604821605.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/236caa7d2b4631e494540a2bdcfe463b.jpg

This upcoming year she wants a jellyfish

Mermaid Amelia Pond
12-07-2015, 01:45 AM
My top last year wasn't very well thought out since I was gold the night before and came up with my costume within a few hours
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/d3ee603d3940bd33646a5af8bb0b57bf.jpg

Mermaid Amelia Pond
12-07-2015, 01:49 AM
Thank you much! Yes I did make it myself. I have to admit that part of the construction came from http://www.firefly-path.net/?p=1272.
Really beautiful stuff she's got. I use her for inspiration all the time.
Shockingly, Ductape is pretty waterproof on it's own if you use grocery bags for lining....
I'll get back on later and explain exactly how I did it if you want, but I gotta go to work now. Day jobs are boring, no?
I'm glad to know this! I'm making my son some bracers!

Ashton
12-17-2015, 12:08 PM
@ Mermaid Amelia I love your daughters top! so cute!

Mermaid Amelia Pond
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
@ Mermaid Amelia I love your daughters top! so cute!
Thank you!

Mermaid Keena
02-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Amelia Pond - I LOVE that top (that you were planning on using - page 7i think haha) !! Its gorgeous! how did you find it? =D

Mermaid Amelia Pond
02-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Was looking for a regular swimsuit for myself n came across it

Mermaid Keena
02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Was looking for a regular swimsuit for myself n came across it

Thank you!! =)

BubbleNeon
03-31-2016, 03:52 PM
All of these tops are great, but I'm kinda a big busted girl, and not all of these look like they would work for me. Dx any idea on something that isnt going to show much, or need to be adjusted a lot?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
04-17-2016, 12:15 AM
All of these tops are great, but I'm kinda a big busted girl, and not all of these look like they would work for me. Dx any idea on something that isnt going to show much, or need to be adjusted a lot?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk
Decorate one of your bras or buy a swim bra or top and decorate that.

Mermaid Alea
04-17-2016, 12:32 AM
You could try a sports bra. I swam in my sports bra and was so glad that I wasn't having to constantly adjust it or anything like what happens when I wear a regular swim top.

Lindsey Yow
04-17-2016, 10:46 AM
I love Mernation tops. They are very conservative. I have a bigger chest and I really don't want a lot of cleavage around kids so they're perfect

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

UtahMermaidPearl
04-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Mermaid Dottie and mermaid thalassa both have very modest tops http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/e6308f9dbd0c89acf52c91c9b18c303f.jpg http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/564cfe5687dde797bcf5e22483c82087.jpg

Mermaid Summerlilly
04-17-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm excited for this summer! My summer project is to make a modest mermaid dress/flowy thing to go with my tail! Hope it'll be done so I can swim in it at the beach!
P.S. I absolutely love these tankinis that I'm seeing here!
Edit: Sort of like the one from the deep blue book cover!

Fifi Tigg
04-18-2016, 04:37 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12027589_10154263354849119_3941111340322433374_n.j pg?oh=651da1e1d053a9807d08290fedb67735&oe=57AA5B06&__gda__=1471451979_ad7d67d548042b1e80271b741c432a7 0

This is a scale top I made with a longline bra and lace to cover the cleavage. I have very large boobs and I always like to hide them as much as possible! :D

The Water Phoenix
04-18-2016, 06:13 AM
You're not alone Fifi! :) I've got big boobs for my age haha :lol:

Mermaid Amelia Pond
04-18-2016, 06:45 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12027589_10154263354849119_3941111340322433374_n.j pg?oh=651da1e1d053a9807d08290fedb67735&oe=57AA5B06&__gda__=1471451979_ad7d67d548042b1e80271b741c432a7 0

This is a scale top I made with a longline bra and lace to cover the cleavage. I have very large boobs and I always like to hide them as much as possible! :D
Very clever! I like it! I love the lace

Mermaid Amelia Pond
05-28-2016, 10:28 AM
I added some flowy fabric to drape n hide my tummy n arms.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/68588bd6f5840ec81431c869628b289b.jpg

Mermaid Summerlilly
05-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Cute! And I love that picture!

Astrid_Delphine86
06-20-2017, 01:34 PM
I used to be skinnier and so I could easily get a way with the smaller tops. http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/009_zpsfxy1exyj.jpg The original pattern was for a halter but I am not at all able to do that so I simply criss-crossed them at the back!

But then as I got bigger in the belly, I started to become self-conscious about my appearance. http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/Astrid-MermaidDress_zps0waexjjh.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/IMG_0471_zpssyz8cjva.jpgSo I went ahead, took some leftover pieces from the swimsuit/tail and made an add-on piece.

However, I did not take into account the BACK looking horrible! http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/GOPR0017%20-%20Copy_zpsz1pzupzv.jpg And I'm not totally sure how to fix it without having to replace it entirely!

Astrid_Delphine86
06-20-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm really sorry my photos are really big! Still trying to fix that problem! :doh:

PearlieMae
06-20-2017, 03:44 PM
You could sew a bit of powermesh or flesh-colored fishnet tights to go across your back, still giving the illusion of skin while giving you full coverage.

To be honest, though, when you're swimming, people will be looking at your tail, not your back! And who cares, really? Have fun!

Astrid_Delphine86
06-20-2017, 05:53 PM
I have been considering making a whole new swimsuit top. I have this velvet shirt that I have to take apart to fix anyway so I can draw out a pattern of it for the new swim suit top. http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/Mermaid%20Planning/IMG_20170620_173522713_zpsq06ee1fz.jpghttp://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/Mermaid%20Planning/IMG_20170620_173704647_zpsiygvqeex.jpg

I can think of many ways to pretty it up but what are your thoughts?

lotusauriel
06-25-2017, 09:38 PM
I can vouch for the huge rack thing. E-cup here, and a halter neck style is better at supporting the twins than a standard bra strap style. Just that I need really wide straps with my halter neck, otherwise it will cut into my neck and shoulders.

Ah, how I wish I had breasts small enough that I could just slap starfish pasties on and be done with it. :cry::cool:
Still reading through this thread, but I feel ya on that one. Being plus sized with a ginormous bust anyway is not convenient for mermaiding. Still trying to figure this one out. I have netting, a strapless bra, shells, etc... but no matter what I do, it still looks obscene. A breast reduction is first on my lottery list. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

lotusauriel
06-25-2017, 09:54 PM
I've asked around in my knitting groups and my chainmaille groups. If seen people who make bikini tops from scale maille and they have no issues with salt or chlorine water. As for the yarn, I was told as long as it is 100% cotton, it won't absorb the water or cause any weight issue, so it would b no heavier then it is out of the water. I've yet to test this out myself as the one I made is not with the correct yarn. But I also make scaled arm warmers and I plan to make a water safe pair soon for testing :D

I also ant to experiment with things like hemp rope and fishing nets and whatnot to knit with and see how that works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Still reading through. LOL. Why not make the scale maille top completely out of aluminum? I do chainmaille, and have been considering doing a full tail, probably with silicone fins and fluke. I'll have to think about making a top as well.

lotusauriel
06-25-2017, 10:05 PM
I have been considering making a whole new swimsuit top. I have this velvet shirt that I have to take apart to fix anyway so I can draw out a pattern of it for the new swim suit top. http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/Mermaid%20Planning/IMG_20170620_173522713_zpsq06ee1fz.jpghttp://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/RebeccaC86/Mermaid%20Stuff/Mermaid%20Planning/IMG_20170620_173704647_zpsiygvqeex.jpg

I think this is absolutely gorgeous. I would probably just sew some shells and beads on it and call it done.

Sea~Phoenix Savannah
06-29-2017, 11:45 AM
I added some flowy fabric to drape n hide my tummy n arms.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/68588bd6f5840ec81431c869628b289b.jpg

That's beautiful, and what a great idea!

And Jaffa! Another great idea! *facepalms for not having thought of that myself* Thanks guys!

PearlieMae
06-29-2017, 12:47 PM

It's very pretty, I LOVE velvet, but have you dipped it in water to see what it looks like wet? I made myself a beautiful silky top, but wet, it looked like sticky rags. Velvet does funny things when it's wet, too.