PDA

View Full Version : Diving Pools and Lakes?

Lotus the Mermaid
11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Lunette and I are going to be doing the majority of our mermaid practice in pools and lakes because we live in DFW area, several hours north of the beach.

Does anyone have any suggestions for deep pools (maybe for diving training and possibly indoor for winter training) and/or clean lakes we can visit occasionally? Thanks muchly in advance!! :)

Mermaid Enora
11-08-2014, 03:45 PM
If you do find out I'd like too know too. I live in that area and I can't find a thing

Mermaid Lunette
11-08-2014, 04:21 PM
done some digging of my own and here is what I have found, I have not found if they are mermaid friendly yet so if anyone knows feel free to step in (I will try and find out myself when I can but if anyone else knows for sure please lemme know) also they are places I have found in Texas all over so they aren't all in the DFW area.

We know of Joe Pool lake, and apparently it has several parks (cedar hill state park and Lynn Creek state park, both allow swimming and I guess they are just at different ends of the lake? so technically they are different locations.)

Marine Park Pool
303 N.W. 20th St.
Fort Worth, TX 76106
(817) 624-6588

Fraternal Order of Eagles
8500 Arturo Drive
Dallas, TX 75228
(214) 327-9563

3900 Spring Valley Road
Dallas, Texas 75240

Denton Natatorium

Kirby Creek Natatorium in Grand Prairie

Burger’s Lake
1200 Meandering Road
Fort Worth, TX 76114
(817) 737-3414
www.burgerslake.com
(http://www.burgerslake.com/)
Burger’s Lake is one of the few spring-fed lakes in North Texas, teeming with fresh water and a family atmosphere dating back to the 1930s. Nostalgia blooms at this spot, where grills and coolers are welcome. This 30-acre park boasts purified water that is safe for young swimmers. Admission to the park is only $5 for children to age 6 and $12 per person for ages 7 and up, good for the entire summer day. Bubbling up in Fort Worth, metroplex residents can access this natural joy in a car ride of an hour or less.

Lake Grapevine
Meadowmere Park
3000 Meadowmere Lane
Grapevine, TX 75061
(817) 488-5272
www.lake-grapevine.com
(http://www.lake-grapevine.com/meadowmere-park)
Lake Grapevine spans far and wide, but Meadowmere Park is likely its most visited spot. Migratory birds fly past its numerous amenities, including a swimming area, boat ramp, fishing piers, camping spots and even kayak, paddle board and pavilion rentals. Open from 8 a.m. to dusk, admission for day use is only $5 per car; a great deal for an entire day of sandy beaches and wooded trails.

Lake LewisvilleLake Park Road & Mill St.
Lewisville,TX 75057
(972) 219-3550
www.cityoflewisville.com (http://www.cityoflewisville.com/index.aspx?page=529)
Lake Lewisville is adventure-packed with party boats, jet skis, windsurfing and even sailboats. However, relaxing family time isn’t hard to find here either. Lake Lewisville has its share of picnic areas and a pavilion and even designated swimming areas for those who need a splash to cool down. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. through Labor Day, residents of Lewisville only pay $3 admission per car and non-residents pay $10. At that affordable price, where else can you see all that action?

I'm hoping the lakes shouldn't be an issue, I mean, don't see how they can tell people not to swim just because they have tails? (might be wrong though) the pools on the other hand will probably need to be researched to make sure tails are ok. Not gonna get my hopes up about the pools though to be honest.

Mermaid Enora
11-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Cedar hills state park has a very shallow very murky very muddy very nasty swimming area.
I've been there before on several occasions. the swimming area is big but is never more than 4ft deep even way out and it's really gross
some of the other lakes might be worth a try when it warms up a bit

Mermaid Enora
11-08-2014, 04:29 PM
There's no life guards at any of the lakes do tails shouldn't be a problem
mots all just swim at your own risk

Mermaid Lunette
11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Thank you very much for the cedar hill warnings ^^ we can just check that off then if it doesn't get any lower than 4 feet ^___^

Mermaid Enora
11-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Glad to help :)
It also has an unwelcome beach of sharp little rocks

Mermaid Lunette
11-08-2014, 05:59 PM
oh gosh, say no more! cedar hills is DEFINITELY off the list ^^;

(not getting my tail anywhere near pointy rocks!)

AmbrGlows
12-03-2014, 10:29 PM
The FOE pool is amazing.

Mermaid Lunette
12-03-2014, 10:42 PM
FOE pool?

AmbrGlows
12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Mermaid Lunette
12-04-2014, 01:06 AM
OH :) do you know if it allows mermaid tails??

AmbrGlows
12-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Blaze and I both swam there in our tails for a benefit over the summer. It gets crowded at times but still fun.

Mermaid Lunette
12-04-2014, 01:35 AM
Awesome ^^ thank you for the info, that will be a great place to start :)

Mary Marine
12-04-2014, 09:37 AM
North Lake College in Irving has an indoor pool that's diving depth at one end. I've swam there in my merfin several times and my tail once and it wasn't a problem. Adult admission is $1.50. The hours are kind of weird though because the open swim is between classes.

MTWRF
5:30 a.m. - 6:30 a.m.

MWF
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

TRF
6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

Saturday
1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

For More Information
972-273-3531

LauraLWatson
12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
The Hugh Pool in Arlington will allow tails during free swim (mind you- that's only 45 minutes a day). Monofin during lap swim is fine, too. They will also allow mermaids to appear during rentals as entertainment.

Kirby in Grand Prairie has the same rules, but said they would ask the tail to be removed if the pool was crowded and they feared someone might get kicked or come into contact with the tail.

I have a list of mer-friendly pools both for fun swim and professional appearances in the DFW area. I will try to get it posted this weekend. It's one I send to clients who request me and need a pool.

Finding mer-friendly pools in DFW was HARD.

Mermaid Enora
12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Yea! A list!!