PDA

View Full Version : Repainting a Mertailor Latex Tail

BlueMermaid
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I want to re-paint my mertailor tail. Does anyone know the best kind of paint to use and how I can seal it and protect it?

AniaR
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
he used createx on your tail, so that's what you should use. I believe your tail is also one of the alex plus ones. You can tint it with the paint and spread it over cracked areas etc. Perhaps do a small patch test on maybe a small piece of the fluke to see the result. It takes a LONG time to dry though warning. You can also simply re-paint but it'll still crack.

I repaint my tail, let it air dry, then I use a heat gun (you can get a simply one from any craft store for about 20$) on it all over. You cant hold it too long it'll simply melt the stuff. I haven't used the silicone spray I've read about in the threads- but it may be an option for sealing it. In my experience however silicone doesnt bond to the alex plus.

MermaidTamara
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I also used createx paint. its perfect with airbrush.
look here:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?612-How-many-Createx-paint
or on my Blog on my Homepage. :)
good luck!

Mermaid Star
11-16-2011, 03:56 PM
You can also use latex pigments and mix it into your matterial (either alex plus if it is an alex tail or a latex base from moster makers if it is an actual latex tail) You can mix paints in just the same as the pigments. Test a couple of things out. I will hopefully be using a Lumieur paint mixed with a latex base to paint my tail when it is finished as Lumieur paints become flexable and permenent when heat set. I wish you the best and let us know how it turns out! :)

SeaNymph
03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Raina, or anyone else, if you read this: I want to repaint my MVD latex tail with airbrush. You said that you use a heat gun all over the tail. Can you tell me how long you go with it over your tail, which distance and what temperature? Because I donīt want the latex to melt. Sorry, I donīt have any experience with heat guns....

AniaR
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I want to repaint my MVD latex tail with airbrush. if your tail is a silicone the only way it'll work is by diluting silicone, pigmenting it with the colour, and using an air brush. If it's a latex tail, Im not sure if you have to use the same method or if you can put it right on top. The best thing would be to ask Mike

AniaR
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
also heat gun was just for createx paint as it specifically needs to be heat set.

Mermaid Sirena
03-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Would a hair dryer work?

Mermaid Star
03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I heard a hair dryer will work as a heat gun is just a hair drier on steroids. I would check with the paint maker to see if it needs to be set by heat and what at what temp if so. Heat shouldn't melt the latex (if it is latex) since heat helps cure latex. But I could be wrong. I have never applied extreme heat to my latex. So if anyone has and I am wrong, please correct me. :)

lasserine
03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Put it into a small room with a small space heater going?

SeaNymph
03-04-2012, 02:39 AM
I use createx paint and the tail is latex. I have once painted it without heat and after the first swim, 30% of the color was gone... So I think heat is necessary, but how much?

Mermaid Nyla
03-26-2012, 08:56 PM
could you spray create paint on neoprene? or would i have to use something different because of the different material?