PDA

View Full Version : Magictail Actual Colors

Mermaid Aika
11-22-2014, 12:16 PM
(Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place.)

I've been wondering about two Magictails. Some people say the Arielle has blue in it, some say it is green, and others complain of white in the tail. Meanwhile, I have heard that the Marina is darker in person. I was just wondering how much? I thank you in advance, as I have yet to meet a mermaid in my area.

Echidna
11-22-2014, 01:09 PM
I can tell you that, because I've seen all the colours in person.

The Marina is dark blue, and Ariel is a lighter blue.
The difference is not very striking, which is probably why they photoshopped their example pictures of the tails on their selling website-
they heavily turned up the contrast on the Ariel tail photo, so it looks turquoise/bluegreen, but in reality it isn't.

Which is quite a bummer, might I say.
A friend of mine, who wanted a blue-green tail badly, got one that looked hardly different from the blue one I got.
A seller should never alter the image of the product he/she has to sell :/

If you want a green Magictail, you will have to settle for the Neptuna, but it's not a rich green, it looks more yellowish imo.

Mermaid Aika
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the information, Echinda! :)
I didn't mean actual green, I just meant a teal color. Sorry about that!
You are right, it isn't cool that they do that, but it is good to know!

AniaR
11-22-2014, 10:04 PM
and they're all really see through when wet! just be aware. at merfest I could see through everyones.

Mermaid Aika
11-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Raina! :)
After learning these things and re-reading the reviews on here, I think that I'll go with a different tailmaker!

Echidna
11-23-2014, 08:30 AM
As this thread has the perfect title, I'm going to post a few sample pictures of Magictail colours here.

Btw, MT gave their site a facelift with more and different pictures.
It looks like the contrast was turned up heavily on all of them.

This will probably not lessen the confusion about the real colours, so here are examples of how the tails look in reality, vs the photoshop.

The blue Marina tail on their site:

and when not (heavily) photoshopped:

The Ariel tail on their site (the worst offender imo, there are now like 5 different shades of this tail to be seen in their shop):

and Ariel in reality looks like this:

The Sirene model on their site:

and in reality:

I could go on with the other models, but I think it's clearly visible the contrast was turned up.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Yea. I was fairly disappointed with the colors not being accurate. When I opened the box, all I could think of was, "Its nice but its not the same like on the website." But the excitement of having a tail override the disappointment at the time.

Mermaid Aika
11-23-2014, 10:25 AM
This is worse than I thought it was. I'm definitely not getting a Magictail.

Mer-gal
11-23-2014, 10:30 AM
the differences are so definite it makes you wonder if they ever got complaints? And if they got complaints then why are the still photo shopping their pics on their website?

Echidna
11-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I think for many it's their first tail, so the joy of having a tail overrides the disappointment, like Jaffa said.

I've noticed that many people loading up their Magictail images somewhere photoshop the pictures as well, so they look similar to the "contrasted" shop images :p

Personally, I was more disappointed with the MT monofin (Seriously, my 5 bucks short rubber kiddie bifins, which are over 30 years old, give way more propulsion than the 60€ upwards MT fin!).

Not sure what's up with the different gradients.

If you've been at one of the Magictail Gatherings, where all people have one on, you can see that every tail of every model looks the same colourwise.
The differences are manipulated, not real.

Mermaid Galene
11-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Shameless. They also Photoshopped the skin of their models so heavily that they don't even look alive anymore.

AniaR
11-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I remember there used to be quite a bit of complaints about the monofins snapping. But I feel like you get what you pay for they aren't that expensive.

Echidna
11-23-2014, 01:01 PM
"You get what you pay for"?
The Magictail monofin in medium size (kids and women with very small feet) costs over 60€.
Large (women with normal feet) is 70€.

For that kind of money, you get the Finis Wave, Training, or Rapid, and also the Hydra on Amazon.

Talia
11-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I have some non-modified pics in both my Arielle and Marina Magictails in my albums (http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?u=1235) if you want to see them, Aika.

I find that the pics that depict the colors in their most true form are the ones taken in the sun. However, I have to say I have had not had any issues with the fabric being see-through.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, Aika.

Also, I think they have replaced the materials on the monofin. I have had 2, and the second is definitely thicker and stronger than the first one. It gives more propulsion, but the bad thing is that the screws in the back tend to come loose, and I have to re-attach them after every swim. I have a couple of videos in my YouTube channel explaining these issues.

Cerulean
11-23-2014, 03:14 PM
I feel like the blue finfun I have is close to that nonphotoshopped blue... I dunno. Lame photoshopped pictures are lame when used as an excuse to sell a product.

AniaR
11-23-2014, 06:45 PM
I mean in general, you get what you pay for. dont expect performance level tails for such a low amount.

Mermaid Momo
11-23-2014, 07:17 PM
What I don't get is if they aren't getting the color that they want and instead photoshop the images, why not just edit the print image/file to be that vibrant and order test swatches until you get it right? Or if it's the printer they'r using, why not search around for better printed fabric providers?

Miyu
11-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Poo, that Arielle "green" looks so fake when you enlarge the photo! Like they didn't even mess with the saturation, but instead just painted green over it :eye twitch: I do like the actual colour of the Arielle, it looks really nice in Talia's photos! But really, they shouldn't be photoshopping the tails to look better - if anything, only to make them look true-to-life if the lighting situation was poor, etc.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-23-2014, 10:41 PM
My purple Magictail is much darker than the above poster's and their website. Its not that bright or shimmery in sunlight waters. And now that I have other tails, the material is way thinner than the spandex one can buy at the shops or Fin Fun's. Also, I have been stretching a small corner of it, just to see how it would last. When the fabric stretches, it looks like the painted layer didn't go all the way through the material, so you can see white in some parts. But its not that noticeable if one is swimming unless its a huge part that's showing.

Here they made the colors brighter in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujJHFBp_nI#t=47

AniaR
11-23-2014, 10:49 PM
"You get what you pay for"?
The Magictail monofin in medium size (kids and women with very small feet) costs over 60€.
Large (women with normal feet) is 70€.

And ps back when I saw all those complaints, monofins weren't offered as a separate price they were included. It was 100euro for a tail with the monofin.

Mermaid Leira
11-24-2014, 05:45 AM
I like the true Ariel better and a truer likeness, different computer monitors show colors differently but usually online stores have an an accurate description next too to compensate , I hope no one gets paranoid and upset their bum might have been showing at mer fest, you get what you pay for but they are a nice looking budget tail :) I haven't seen one on person though, maybe they had just like a pair of favourite swimmers, and had just been worn to death and well loved

Echidna
11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
And ps back when I saw all those complaints, monofins weren't offered as a separate price they were included. It was 100euro for a tail with the monofin.

http://www.magictail.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74
http://www.magictail.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75

this is what they cost separately, should you need a replacement.
And tail + monofin costs about 150€.

Btw, there's no need to bring up the "don't expect a performance tail at that price" again.
No one expects that- this is about them altering the tail pictures in their shop.

AniaR
11-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Well actually in all my years experience on the forum and the mer community I think they do. Sometimes peoples expectations are off the mark for what they're paying for and they should be encouraged to look elsewhere if they want higher quality and better selection.

Talia
11-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I like the true Ariel better and a truer likeness, different computer monitors show colors differently but usually online stores have an an accurate description next too to compensate , I hope no one gets paranoid and upset their bum might have been showing at mer fest, you get what you pay for but they are a nice looking budget tail :) I haven't seen one on person though, maybe they had just like a pair of favourite swimmers, and had just been worn to death and well loved

Funny that you mention it, one of my tail skins is already worn out. The fabric is too stretched at some places, and you can see white underneath the blue scales, but still it is not see-though. I want to make a video of this so people can see it.

It has taken 2 years and a half of once-a-week use during 1 hour in chlorinated water for the skin to be like this. I mean, it is still useable, as nothing is noticeable underwater, but as with any swimsuit, when the spandex is worn out in some places, more will follow soon.

Mermaid Sirenia
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
This could not be more accurate! Too many times I have seen people contact silicone tail makers asking about the price, and when they find out say "wow seriously? That's way too much! I want one but I would only pay ___ for it" or after someone orders a tail from a not-so-great tail maker and expect there to be no flaws..

Mermaid Jaffa
11-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I wrote on their fb page, that the colors in the photos are not the true colors of what customers will be getting.

It didn't last long up there, was gone when I came back to the page after 5 mins.

Mermaid Sirenia
11-24-2014, 07:44 PM
By the way my post was supposed to be a reply to Raina but it for some reason didn't work that time haha

Mermaid Kelda
11-26-2014, 11:05 PM
By the way my post was supposed to be a reply to Raina but it for some reason didn't work that time haha
When you hit "reply", your post still goes to the end of the conversation because the default setting is to show posts by date posted. You can switch to showing replies under the original post (not sure about on mobile, but on the desktop version it's at the top right under "display"), but I find that can get confusing.

Best to "reply with quote" if you want to make sure your comment is seen in context :)

Echidna
11-27-2014, 08:35 AM
I wrote on their fb page, that the colors in the photos are not the true colors of what customers will be getting.

It didn't last long up there, was gone when I came back to the page after 5 mins.

:thumbdown:

I used to recommend MT to beginners looking for an affordable tail.
But one might be better off making a fabric tail and putting a good monofin in, and that will cost even less than the MT set.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Seems a terrible way to do business. I won't be buying from them again.

Talia
11-27-2014, 10:47 AM
:thumbdown:
I once asked why they photoshop the tail photos, referring to my friend who couldn't believe how different from the shop picture her tail looked.
No response, deleted in no time.

That's why I no longer recommend MT to beginners looking for an affordable tail.
One is better off making a fabric tail and putting a good monofin in, and that will cost even less than the MT set.

That's awful!

I purchase from them mainly because their tails are affordable to me and they are in Europe, so I don't get taxed with import charges. Although I guess I am quite "conformist". I really was not expecting their tails to be out-of-this-world; I mean, I was just happy to have a fabric with good-looking scales and a monofin without having to invest a great amount of money. I looked at videos in YouTube more than their pics to decide which colors I liked. I never trust a pic in a selling website regarding colors.

If I had sewn my own, it wouldn't probably be as pretty as I consider my Magictails; I cannot sew, nor I know someone who does or who can teach me. And I definitely don't have the time (or the interest) to go to classes.

Echidna
11-27-2014, 05:31 PM
I really was not expecting their tails to be out-of-this-world; I mean, I was just happy to have a fabric with good-looking scales and a monofin without having to invest a great amount of money.

And there's nothing wrong with that, especially if one is new to sewing.
My first self-made tail looked much worse than the polished, automated-machine-sewn Magictail.
Since then, I've improved though, and I'm glad I gave it a try.

I didn't expect the tail to be "out of this world" either, but I expected it to look like it did in the shop.
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see a reason to change the product's look.
The colours look fine in reality.
I have no idea why they change them, but I guess they have their reasons, they just opted to not share them when we asked.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Maybe they weren't selling enough of their products, and thought upping the colors would make it more appealing to more age groups, not just kids.

Mermaid Gipsy
12-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm with Jaffa: This is a terrible way to do business. I mean, for the price, I wouldn't expect movie prop quality, but this is just...sad. :thumbdown:

I mean, really. I am 100% for "what you see is what you get" VS heavy editing. Even if one is an original pic, but used for every product while photoshopped to represent the other colours. If you're selling a product, at least have the decency to take pictures of what the customer will actually be getting.

On top of not be honest imho, the Ariel tail's photoshopped image is really poorly done, and it looks like ZERO effort was put into it. If I were a potential customer and saw that on their website, I would instantly be turned off and would purchase nothing from their company. Such a red flag.

The Sirene model LOOKS great on the model, but much different in person. If I bought it expecting what I saw online, and got what was in the "real" picture, I would be so angry.

Talia
01-22-2015, 12:47 PM
OK, I think this is breaking news (kidding)!

I ordered a replacement for my Marina (blue) Magictail tail skin. It arrived today, I just opened the box and was greeted by a "oh-my-gosh-that-is-so-much-blue-and-with-glitter-too" tail skin. For a moment I was like :jawdrop:, but then I thought, "maybe I am remembering wrong the color of the first Magictail when I got it". Since I ordered the new one because the other was fading and the lycra was starting to be damaged, I thought I could not possibly compare the two. But then I remembered that the bikini top I got had never been used, never been in water, never been washed. It had been in the little ziplock bag it came in, inside a box, no sun damage. So I took it out and compared the two.

Here are some pics:

New one is on top, old one is on bottom of the picture.

Old one on your left, new one on your right

These are very crappy pictures, because it's already night here, but even though I am sure you can see the differences. And believe me, in person they are abysmal! On the new one the colors are very bright and vibrant, the contour of the scales is much more defined and the fabric is kind of... I don't know if the word could be shimmery? The fabric does not have glitter, but it looks like it. I'll try to post better pics on Saturday morning, when I am home and I do not have to work.

After seeing this, I am thinking maybe the pictures on the website are not so much photoshopped as we thought. Maybe a bit, but their fabric has definitely changed, and the pics on the website are taken in plain sunlight.

Echidna
01-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Looks like they have a new batch of fabric, because the older models all looked like your top on the left.
The new one's different- with a bit of purple in it?

Talia
01-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Looks like they have a new batch of fabric, because the older models all looked like your top on the left.
The new one's different- with a bit of purple in it?

I don't know if I would call it purple. It does not look like purple to me, but I am not sure, because I have not been able to see it with natural light. I leave my house before dawn and when I come back is almost night, so I cannot really check well until Saturday. I hope I can take better pics then.

MerMel
03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
so... did they finally cave to the complaints and fix the color issues?

I'm glad I didn't go with them. Not because of the fabric (which after reading that its really thin and see-through when stretched, I wont ever go with them internationally), or the extra import fees, but because of the issues i kept seeing about the bolts to the lexan always coming undone and rusting/staining the area. I would expect better from German craftsmanship. :P

Mermaid Jaffa
03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Well... I caved... There was special on and despite what I've said about Magictails, I went and bought two more!

I got another purple and the H2O orange.

There is a huge difference in color in the two purple tails I now have. Both have been swum in once. The old tail, with the modified fluke, the colors are much lighter. It looks like its faded a little bit. The new one bought this year, is much darker in color. More intense.

I'll post pics up when its a sunny day outside. So you can see how different the two tails are. When I bought the old one, it was much darker in the pictures on the website, but since it was my first ever tail, was too excited to even care that the color was different to the website.

The new one, the color seems to be the same as advertised on the website.

Talia
06-14-2015, 07:08 AM
Here is the video I promised I would do showing the two Marina skins comparison. I hope it is helpful:

https://youtu.be/l7kF_a12hg8

Mermaid Wesley
06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Wow that is very different! I like the new color more I think. And I hope it is better quality so it lasts longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk