PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your pictures once you have them?

Jadestone
11-24-2014, 06:35 PM
So, I'm relatively new to the modeling side of mermaiding... this week I had my first two photoshoots that I didn't orchestrate myself. But now I'm not sure what quite to do with the images? It's nice to just have them & post them myself, but does anyone have any experience submitting their photos to anywhere--outside the mer community/facebook? One photographer I worked with recommended Fae Magazine (who do Mermaids & Mythology!), but I've never done that sort of thing before, so thought I'd ask around while I'm waiting for the edits etc!

Do any of you do something besides publish online yourself? Other tips? I'd love to know!!

Shimmer Mermaid
11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Deviant art is a good place to go. Raina posts on it, and she gets a bit of buzz from them. I am a photographer (besides a mermaid) and I post a lot of pictures to it too. Gets a nice little bit of buzz on photos and your page. Plus you can link to other sites like your youtube channel and you can get more viewers like that too.

Merman Chatfish
11-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Once I start taking pictures of myself I would defiantly do Deviant art. Plus if you want to you can add watermarks to prevent thief or sell images. I just started following you on Tumbler!

Jadestone
11-24-2014, 09:27 PM
I've had a DeviantArt account for several years, but I generally only put my own work up. I've also found I get more exposure/etc through tumblr than DA lately, although I could start a mermaid-specific account there I guess.

I was more wondering along non-personal lines--whether anyone has had luck submitting their photos to magazines or books or that sort of thing. I don't think it's as common, but might generate more exposure? I'm not sure.

MermaidenKaraLynn
12-17-2014, 09:28 AM
So here are a few tips on submitting to magazines, I have never submitted mermaid photos, but I have submitted a lot of my other photography work places. Most independently produced magazines love getting submissions usually there will be a link on their page on how to submit and each magazine is different or you can email them and they will let you know if they are accepting submissions. When you are submitting make sure you follow their rules to the letter, I have been rejected simple because I sent the wrong file size. You will be required to sign a model release and your photographer will have to sign a release as well the magazine will generally supply you their forms. One major thing to know is that many magazines will not accept work that has been published somewhere else already including your own personal online networks like DA, FB, Tumbler, Flickr, your own personal blog, or any of the photographers networks either, they want fresh new content. Once you submit know it can take awhile for them to get back to you since they are probably sorting through many submissions, which can be a challenge because that means that you and your photographer are sitting on images that can't be seen. My final note is to follow up, if I have not heard back about a submission after about 5 days I send a follow up email and then I continue to send one each following week. Last don't get discouraged if you get turned away a lot of times you are rejected simply because they don't need that particular content right at the moment not because you aren't a good model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AniaR
12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
License them as stock and you'll get royalties and it gets them on books etc :)

Vrindavana Starfish
12-17-2014, 02:08 PM

This.
I've been doing stock media for a few years, and there's some things you need to know. You usually have to pass some kind of initial review to be accepted as a contributor, so gather your best work. Also, they expect your work to be re-touched, so if you don't have basic photo editing skills, you'll need them. One more thing, you have to be the copyright owner. So, if you had your photos professionally done by someone else, then they own the copyright. So, if you can, get a remote trigger and take your own. :) You might be able to get permission from the photographer- I've never had to so I'm not sure on that.

Some of my favorite stock media sites are Pond5 (I love working with them), iStock, and Stockeon.

Merman Chatfish
12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
This.
I've been doing stock media for a few years, and there's some things you need to know. You usually have to pass some kind of initial review to be accepted as a contributor, so gather your best work. Also, they expect your work to be re-touched, so if you don't have basic photo editing skills, you'll need them. One more thing, you have to be the copyright owner. So, if you had your photos professionally done by someone else, then they own the copyright. So, if you can, get a remote trigger and take your own. :) You might be able to get permission from the photographer- I've never had to so I'm not sure on that.

Some of my favorite stock media sites are Pond5 (I love working with them), iStock, and Stockeon.

Could you have the copyright transfer to you from the photographer?

Vrindavana Starfish
12-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Could you have the copyright transfer to you from the photographer?

No. You can only get permission to get copies or distribute their work. Here's some general copyright info:
http://www.ppa.com/about/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1720

What you can do BEFOREHAND is to agree on a work-for-hire contract. Expect to pay more, and actually have a signed contract. Here's another good link: http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/photography-copyright-and-the-law/

Mer-Crazy
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Never mind got beaten to it haha

Miyu
12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Woah thanks for that info!!! Now I'm going to print off some work-for-hire contracts and keep them on me, because technically my mertender/bf has been taking my pics, so I guess technically he owns those... And for future work I'd really rather own the photos, but the whole "remote-for-the-camera" thing doesn't work for me, because most locations I visit require constant moving around to get different angles - Most of the photos from my mermaid photoshoot were taken with me in the same place, but my photographer/mertender ran around the location (a creek) taking photos so I didn't have to move much.

Merman Chatfish
12-17-2014, 10:20 PM
No. You can only get permission to get copies or distribute their work. Here's some general copyright info:
http://www.ppa.com/about/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1720

What you can do BEFOREHAND is to agree on a work-for-hire contract. Expect to pay more, and actually have a signed contract. Here's another good link: http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/photography-copyright-and-the-law/

Oh. I guess if I take pictures of someone I figure they belong to them. Well if I ever take pictures of anyone of you, just assume you have the ok to use it, I don't mind.

Miyu
12-17-2014, 11:08 PM
This is so confusing... What if my boyfriend is the one taking the pics, and he has no interest in being a photographer other than to take the pics of me, and doesn't want to personally make money off of it or retain any rights?

*sigh* Well, when I get my next camera, I'll be looking for one compatible with a remote... Then I'll have him move it on the tripod to get a good angle and make sure I'm in frame, then I'll just take pics of myself (plus then I know I'm not blinking and I know when to hold my breath/change pose/etc)

AniaR
12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
you just get your boyfriend to sign a release form. we do it all the time, Sean does all the photos for my company but we sell em as stock :)

Miyu
12-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Ah, okay! That makes sense, I was wondering about that because I know Sean does all your photos but hadn't heard of him being a photographer for other things... Hmm, being able to sell everything as stock would be nice, any little income helps!

Is there any specific kind of release form to look for? I'm currently using the search term "photography release form", and a lot of the results are for the photographers to get permission to use images of people/places/things...

AniaR
12-18-2014, 01:23 AM
You can make your own that's what we did. :)

Mermaid Harmony
12-23-2014, 06:09 PM
I just did a shoot and our pictures got accepted into Freque Magazine!! It was with Beatnik Twist Photography, I'm pretty darn stoked about it. Top by Mermaid Lorelei, tail by Merbellas :-)

AptaMer
12-29-2014, 03:17 AM
he has no interest in being a photographer other than to take the pics of me, and doesn't want to personally make money off of it or retain any rights?

Hey Miyu,

The simple way to do this is to get him to assign copyright to you, or, if you decide to incorporate, to your company.

Do a search on "assignment of copyright" and you'll find links to all kinds of information on the process, and boilerplate forms.

Mermaid Gipsy
01-01-2015, 08:35 PM

As a professional stock model on deviantArt, I agree with all the other posts. :)