PDA

View Full Version : Jack O'Neill on the healing power of the ocean

AptaMer
11-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Wow, I read about an old timer named Jack O'Neill, who was born in 1923, is still active and living in the same house he bought in 1959, and was one of the developers of the neoprene wetsuit 51 years ago in 1953 (yes, all mers who love warm neoprene tails owe a debt of gratitude to O'Neill)

Anyhow, I loved this quote from him:

O'Neill turns philosophical when asked about the sea and what he calls the "healing powers" of the ocean.

"I've felt this in my own life, but there are also researchers interested in studying the way ocean therapy affects the brain and its pathways," he says. "It's proved therapeutic for people with physical and mental disabilities, for veterans returning from war, for everyone. I think in the next 30 years we'll see the potential of that power become fully realized."

I've always felt this way, and sometimes go down to Toronto Harbour just to absorb energy from the water and heal & energize.

Here's the article that quoted him http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jack-O-Neill-89-a-surfing-legend-who-endures-3589127.php

AniaR
11-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I totally agree with this and wrote about this idea in my latest book. It has helped me a lot with chronic illness for sure especially pain.

Mermaid Galene
11-28-2014, 06:30 PM
It only makes sense that the sea has therapeutic value. Our bodies, after all, are composed of 55-65% water, and that water is salty. And the sights, sounds, and smells of the sea all evoke open space and rhythm, which has a relaxing effect for most people.

Merman Chatfish
11-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I totally agree with this and wrote about this idea in my latest book. It has helped me a lot with chronic illness for sure especially pain.

Maybe becoming a mermaid was some unconscious treatment for you.

Capt Nemo
11-29-2014, 12:35 AM
The more I dive, the healthier I stay!

I think it's more due to hyperbaric oxygen keeping the bugs at bay. Both freediving and scuba seem to work.

Merman Chatfish
11-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Its been so long since I last SCUBA. I miss it.

Echidna
11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
I think it's more due to hyperbaric oxygen keeping the bugs at bay. Both freediving and scuba seem to work.

You're right, and it's a fascinating angle that hasn't been researched yet.

I have several strains of bugs resistant to antibiotics, but susceptible to oxygen levels.
I was very ill before I started freediving.
The more I dived, the better I got.
If I can't dive for a longer time, it gets worse again.

Now that you're mentioning scuba, I wonder if the oxygen saturation could be even better for that purpose?
I haven't tried it yet because my eardrums are sissies, they complain when I try to go deeper than 7 meters or so.

I plan to work on that and try if greater depths=more pressure=less bugs.
If anyone knows or has an idea, please do tell.

Capt Nemo
11-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Both scuba and freediving raise the PPO2 above .2 atm in the lungs. Scuba is better as you're over that partial pressure for longer periods of time. Freediving just takes many more diving days.

Gangrene positively hates hyperbaric O2, and now hyperbaric treatment is standard and can prevent an amputation.

Echidna
12-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Sounds like I have to take up scuba after all!

Mermaid Jaffa
12-02-2014, 02:52 AM
I love sitting on the beach and listening to the sounds of the sea and waves. Good way to lose couple of hours, just sitting under a tree.