PDA

View Full Version : Water proof glue for accessories?

Sirenade
11-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what suggestions people have for waterproof glue to hold accessories together?

For the most part I do hand sewing for mer-clothes and use crimp beads for jewelry. In the past I have used hot glue guns for making hair pieces, but this won't work in the water (things come off). Let me know what glues work well and don't work for holding tiny bits and baubles together for underwater use.

Thanks!

~Sirenade

taom
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I've never had hot glue fail me, but super glue is also always good. You're going to have to make sure that it is the kind that does not puff up when cured.

MermanMatty
11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I have had that problem with hot glue, but super glue does work amazing! Even the cheap stuff from the dollar store! lol :) Good luck! Also if your looking for a glue to use on your skin that won't come off with water (trust me I had a star fish stuck to a model for three days lol) is Elmer's spray adhesive! If you buy goo-gone too it takes off the adhesive in seconds :) Thought that would help! :)

Moonflower
11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
E-6000 is the glue I swear by. It takes a while to set up (about an hour working and 24 hours to be solid), but it STAYS! You can find it in most craft stores and even WalMart, just make sure you use it in a well-ventalated area ^_^

Mermaid Star
11-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I use aquarium sealent for fresh and salt water. The only thing that knocks the pieces off is dragging them on the bottom of the pool. It is how I keep the smaller shells on the larger shells of my top.

Artisankatie
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I use polyurethane glue. It'll peel off completely smooth things like plastic with a bit of work, but for porous stuff (like shells!) it's concrete. I don't know if you can get your hands on it or a similar product over there, but here's their website:

http://www.vise.com.au/

Mermaid Photine
11-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Seconding the E600. It glues almost anything. A warning for hot glue- it doesn't work after a certain temperature. When I did skating theatre shows, we had to pick up all sorts of things that people hot-glued to their costumes so that nobody would trip on them. It was too cold that the hot glue didn't work. This'd translate to mermaiding as a warning to be aware that you aren't dropping pretty shels or sequins all over the lake/ocean/pool/magical grotto you happen to be swimming in, especially if it was a rather warm or cold place.

taom
11-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Oooh! Matty! I've never heard about using spray adhesive that way! You are brilliant, thank you!!!