PDA

View Full Version : We are creating a youtube series~

Arielle
12-02-2014, 03:01 AM
https://www.facebook.com/MysticalWaters

Im hoping it wont be cheesy. The special effects and video quality will probably be better than a lot of youtube mermaid shows, due to us having adobe premiere, after effects, and two pretty nice cameras. Although we have cheapy hand made mermaid tails, though we might get ones from finfun, or magictails, (low budget on the tails.)

So, care to give us any unique ideas for the plots? We've been coming up with them like crazy, but then scrapping them due to not bring "unique" enough, or not being able to figure out where we would go after a certain point. :)

Oh yes, one more question, what's better, Finfun, or Magictails in your opinion?

Mermaid Jaffa
12-02-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't have a magictail monofin so I can't say anything about that. I do love their tails though, very pretty but a little expensive.

I love my Fin Fun tail and monofins. It is super nice to swim in. Choose your fave tails, can have both as if they're from different pods.

coral_sybil
12-02-2014, 09:32 AM
o_o story.... characters.... scripts? Alright mission is go.

What kind of story do we want to tell? Romance, adventure, mystery... what meaning is Mystic Waters going to have?

Why don't you have random people write short stories of what that title means to them outside of contest and see if it inspires.

Do we want them mermaids going to land or humans entering water turning into mermaids?

How many people?

Mermaid Jaffa
12-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Mermaids and mermen that are from a different dimension. They are not the traditional moon light mermaids like H2O. They are mermaids born in life and die in death, just as the humans do. There are no humans or land people where they are from, just merfolk of different species. Some are violent races, some are peaceful, some are cannibals, some are isolated tribes. There are social merfolk too as well as loners.

They've come through a magical portal where their homeland or seas, is a totally different ocean. The world they come from is all ocean with tropical and cold climates, arctic vents, thermo vents, etc. Lava spills out occasionally from the sea floor. Sea life is plentiful and thrives in all the water columns from shallow shores to the dark depths of the ocean floor.

The merfolk appearances are each different. Some have gills, some have finned spines on their heads, arms, legs, ears etc. They are different colors too. They came into our world when it was a very young world. They have high connections throughout the world's high powers of the government and secret governments.

They're an old family that's been around since the Middle Ages. Own several mansions across our world. They've adapted to the human way of life.
Their fave holiday place is the Mariana Trench because it similar to their original home. Lots of dark places to hide in, they have skin that can make light using bioluminescence (spelling?).

Why they've come to this world is a mystery. Rumors say it was because of the Great Drowning where the earth moved and water became land. Some say it was because of a war between two warring factions. Others mention if was a time of adventure and prowess. Of the exact reason, nobody knows why.

Echidna
12-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Not so much a plot idea, as a general suggestion:

I always found it a bit distracting that underwater creatures (if you portray your mers as such) are only shown briefly underwater, and then for excessive lengths of screentime on land or at the surface, and talking their heads off.

I don't have the means (especially a suitable location) for doing a show myself yet, but I'd try to show almost all action indeed underwater, with the mers doing "mute" acting and gestures (H2O does that very well, at least in the scenes they did in water, which aren't even that many).
If you've ever seen a ballet, the dancers tell a story very eloquently without ever having to say a word!

I'd love to see something like that with mermaids.
One could even imagine putting in "mer speech"-like sounds, and giving subtitles to be able to tell a more complicated story ;)
It'd be a very immersive, innovative endeavor for sure, and very different from other shows which have been produced.

The Underwater Realm is a fantastic example of what I have in mind.
They didn't even have music, just underwater sounds- and I've never seen such a realistic, fascinating depiction of the merworld before.

MerEmma
12-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Subtitles would be really useful actually, I had never thought of that! I agree, I'd love to see a show like that. Telepathic communication with mers would be really interesting.

Arielle
12-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Awesome ideas everyone <3 thanks so much! Ill definitely keep them in mind and discuss them with the co-writer/actor. :)

Merlia
12-03-2014, 03:22 PM
My old tail is from Magictail and I dont like its monofin. :/ It wasnt strong enough although I'm a strong swimmer.

Froth
12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
where are you located? what is the main location that you will be filming?

Arielle
12-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Washington ^^ We are filming around the everett and Seattle area.

Mer-Crazy
12-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Perhaps some kind of 'guardians of this particular body of water' type deal, you would be able to make up a very rich and deep history and maybe throw in some environmental stuff too if you were so inclined or perhaps be more like guardians that help people in need (spirited away Japanese style). That was just the first thing that came to my head anyway :)

Winged Mermaid
12-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Finfun has some great new printed tails! Less expensive than magictail, and they're in the US so if you ever have issues with the tail or monofin you can get things replaced quickly (they have great customer service). I've heard complaints about the monofins from both of those companies though.

I'm over across the Sound from Seattle (Kitsap county)- cool to know someone around here is going to be doing a series :) Good luck!