PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to swim in a silicone tail vs a swimsuit fabric (w monofin) tail?

Mermaid Gipsy
12-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Dat awkward title phrasing.
I have a tail from Fin Fun with the monofin that comes with it. I remember reading a forum by Raina saying that silicone tails are HEAVY. ...Or, was it latex? Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm still learning how to navigate the forums and I was unable to find it again.

My grandparents were really skeptical when I brought out my Fin Fun tail for the first time, worried that I wouldn't be able to swim well in it and drown (pfff). I found the tail actually helps me swim much easier, with the monofin propelling me and the fabric just being amazing aesthetically (it's just not the SAME with just the monofin!). I already swam using a dolphin kick for several years, so it was not an issue at all. I'm a bellydancer, so those muscles are used to the motion. I wonder if the bigger monofin on the silicone tails will make me swim faster, but also wonder if the weight of the tail will negate that.

How hard would you say it is to swim in a full silicone tail with a HUGE monofin, compared to a little thing that's basically just a good quality monofin with some fabric around my legs? As mentioned previously, I know they're heavy, but are they difficult to swim in? Will be much different, or about the same but with more effort/weight? Please, enlighten me.

Thank you for reading, and any input would be appreciated! :)

Echidna
12-05-2014, 08:55 AM
I asked the very same thing not too long ago!

The weight of a silicone tail does not matter when underwater, you'll feel it when trying to lift it out of the water though.

A fabric tail (especially with a smaller fluke) is more manoeverable, but has more drag (I HATE drag!).
Since I'm doing a lot of waterballet stuff, which includes moving high out of the water, and spinning with the fluke held above the surface, I'm not sure if I should invest in a silicone tail once I'm able to.

Sherielle
12-05-2014, 09:25 AM
I think it really just depends on your ability to swim. I have both a fabric and a silicone tail and I much prefer swimming in the silicone tail. The fabric had too much drag. Of course it was also a bit big and has been taken up. I have not been able to swim in it since then so it may have changed. But I understand it's very different person to person. Some people have a hard time swimming in a silicone tail while others take to it naturally. Silicone holds your legs together tight and a lot of people do not like how that feels.

MermaidCelesteFL
12-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I agree with Sherielle and Echidna. I have been through two fabric tails and have a silicone tail from Mermaid Creations. Although the fabric tails are very light out of the water, the drag is noticable (mainly because mine was styled to a betta fin). My silicone tail is heavy out of the water, but weightless in the water. I personally prefer my silicone tail, because it hides my knees, ankles, heels, keeps everything together, and is only slightly bulkier than just wearing a monofin. However, if you don't have a huge, floppy fabric tail, it could be just as light as wearing the monofin.

MerMatt
12-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Having only had a silicone tail but swam with someone who has a fabric and partial silicone tail I would say that I like swimming in my silicone tail instead. Its harder to get on because its also a Mermaid Creations tail but like its been said it hides stuff well and I prefer to have it really tight to keep my legs from moving around inside.

Mermaid Gipsy
12-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the answers, everybody! I appreciate all of them :)

Mermaid Lyra
12-11-2014, 12:29 AM
I have a question which is probably silly.. and I am sure has been answered.. I made a fabric tail and i was able to slip into my monofin's straps easily.. is it the same with a silicone tail? or are your feet just kinda hanging out in the foot pockets?

Mer-Crazy
12-11-2014, 03:36 AM
Generally most people put their feet all the way into the pockets like you normally would with a monofin (it's super hard to swim otherwise. The fluke tries to go all over the place). However it's usually not 'easy'. Depending on how well the monofin fits, if you're using booties, if you use lube or water etc. It is a lot more difficult than a fabric.

Sherielle
12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a question which is probably silly.. and I am sure has been answered.. I made a fabric tail and i was able to slip into my monofin's straps easily.. is it the same with a silicone tail? or are your feet just kinda hanging out in the foot pockets?
With mine, there are straps and they are a bugger to get over my heels. But I did swim without using them once and I much prefer having the monofin secured on my feet.

Mermaid Kelda
12-11-2014, 11:56 AM
It is notoriously difficult to get your feet in the monofin of a silicone tail. It's easier without neoprene boots on, but then you have the issue of blisters. It can sometimes help to loop a long piece of fabric through the strap and pull it over your heel once you have your foot in the pocket. Though, I have little hands and thin arms, so I'm able to reach down without too much trouble and pull it over with my fingers. It all depends on what will work best for you, and you'll develop little tricks as you go!

Sherielle
12-11-2014, 12:59 PM
I have to lube up my arm to get my hands to my feet, lol. I need to remember to do the string/fabric to the strap.

Mermaid Lyra
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Thank you all! So helpful!! <3 :)

Echidna
12-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you all! So helpful!! <3 :)

Indeed!
This thread has been very helpful.

*clutches fabric tails to chest*

Mermaid Wesley
12-11-2014, 03:40 PM
These always make me thankful for my fabric tails too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Kelda
12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
There is something to be said for a tail you can lift off the ground without spraining your ankles.

Mermaid Nessie
12-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Personally, I would suggest slowly moving up to a silicone tail. I started out with a wetsuit fabric tail, and moved up to a semi realistic neoprene and alex plus tail, and hope to move up to full silicone when I have the money.

Mermaid Nessie
12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Any new tail takes some getting used to. I felt like I had to totally relearn my swimming techniques when I switched. I like my neoprene/alex tail much better than my fabric one, as it is more realistic and only weighs 4 pounds when dry, so it's super easy for dry gigs. I know I have a lot easier of a time on land than some of the other mermaids with silicone tails do.

Mermaid Kelda
12-12-2014, 12:19 AM
The whole "re-learning" thing is no reason to work your way up, though. Swimming styles are totally different. Nothing really prepares you for a silicone tail :P
It's more knowing that you're comfortable in the water and know how to dolphin kick, which is certainly helped by having had a fabric tail or monofin.

SeaChange
12-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Hey gang! Everyone here seems heavily in favour of the silicone tails (which tend to be so gorgeous and detailed!), but I was digging through some youtube videos today and wound up watching a few from good old Weeki Wachi Springs. I noticed their mermaid performers are all wearing fabrics tails, and it struck me as odd. Even though they have some silicone or latex tails in promotional shots, they actually perform in fabric. The tails in most of their performance videos have an obvious side zipper, no trailing bits or detailing, and the monofin, ankles and knees are very clearly defined.

I've seen beautiful performance videos from established mermaids like Melissa and Raina in silicone and latex. Is there a reason a place with their reputation built around mermaid shows would opt for a fabric tail and not silicone in longer performance?

Mermaid Jaffa
12-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Maybe its too expensive for them to have silicone tails for each of their mermaids. Even the cheapest of the silicone tails would still be too expensive if you want them for your staff of 10, for example.

But I'm guessing its the cost and the time to keep everything maintained.

And I read somewhere that they also have to deal with a really strong current in the springs, and that hole is bottomless. So if one were to sink in it wearing a silicone tail, she might not be saveable.

Miyu
12-22-2014, 12:02 AM
I also think they share tails? It seems like it would be easier to share fabric than silicone ones.

Princess Pearl
12-22-2014, 01:36 AM
They also have to do some quick changes for the shows, as well as moving around in the "back stage." Not possible in a silicone tail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mermaid Wesley
12-22-2014, 04:55 AM
And lastly but not least, it is MUCH easier to move around in a fabric tail than a silicone tail. They can do more choreography in fabric. They also have a TON of fabric tails so that they can change it up a lot. Fabric tails are also safer. They're easy to take off if need be. And yes cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echidna
12-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I do waterballet in tails, and I don't think any of my moves would be doable in a silicone tail.
For certain none of those that go above the surface, anyway.

I also have more manoeverability, which is essential for synchro/dance.
Then there are the choreographies where I start out of the water, then jump in.
Yea...
not to mention if you're in a group doing fast costume changes :p

Mermaid Gipsy
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I also think they share tails? It seems like it would be easier to share fabric than silicone ones.

I've heard this, too. As already mentioned, imagine how expensive it would be to have a silicone tail for every performer! I doubt they could be widely shared because of how custom sized silicone tails are. Yeesh!

Mermaid Adrienne
05-07-2017, 10:34 PM
hmm... well, since I've owned and swam in both now... I would say that silicone tails are more constricting so you cannot move your legs out of place while swimming... and fabric tails give more freedom and therefore don't allow you to do tricks to the precision point perfect. I don't exactly know how to explain it though.... its like... your legs are flailing everywhere in a fabric and a silicone you cant do that because you're snug. It's a slightly weird feeling when you first get into a silicone. I think the benefit of a fabric is that the back doesnt pop open while you're swimming.