PDA

View Full Version : MY mermaid creations tail...

Poseidon
12-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Merman Christian here, this is a follow up review to the tail that I posted about a few weeks ago:

When I sought out to finally purchase a silicone tail, I knew right off the bat I wanted the SPLASH fluke shape, I've grown up with that film and I am a die-hard fan, especially when it comes to the tail design. The only person that I saw that could TRULY capture that look was Mike Van Daal of FlipTails. As beautiful as his tails are, they are FAR to expensive for my price range, but then I discovered Mermaid Creations, and the tailmaker was just as big of a SPLASH fan as I was! So I sketched up my design and sent him many pictures, including pictures from the movie too. I made my first down payment in March of 2013 and the second in the fall time, but no work on the tail had even began yet. Now at the time, Jesse was cranking out good work, which why I felt safe in going with him, little did I know what the end result would be...

Merfest 2014 came and I had previously ordered a custom monofin made specifically for ME, the maker had-delivered it to me at Merfest and I gave it to Jesse to take back home with him, that was in the beginning of January. I didn't hear much from him again until February when he said he had gotten the fabric to start making my extra fins for my tail, which was something different for him because he used Nylon this time, which was what was used in SPLASH to achieve that super flowy look. I've worked with nylon before for my own neoprene tail and I know that you can't paint it and let it sit out for months because it becomes hard and 'crunchy', well they sat that way from February to the time he attached them which was October. Now at the time Jesse was offering a special deal that for $600 you could get a tail that was all one color. He was hurting for business and since he had become a friend I purchased one to help him out. He told me I would have the tail within a month, I didnt recieve the tail until around the end of April, not to mention hadn't even heard from him for atleast almost two months, also I asked for the tail to be bright red, instead I got DARK red or 'blood'. Well the red tail did end up fitting perfectly, although wasn't as strong as I thought because it was used during a movie shoot I had this summer and I was pulling the tail on to do a scene and it tore in a small area above my right thigh...

Getting to the OTHER tail now. Throughout the summer I would message Jesse almost on a weekly basis due to his lack of communication with me, which took me through a loop because I had read read all these reviews of how he good he was at that, this wasn't the case here. Now when it came time to FINALLY mold the fluke, I knew it was going to be 40"( I now regret that decision) and I told him to cast it THIN due to its size, well when I finally did get the tail it was almost 2" thick on the sides. NOT what I asked him to do. I will say that he atleast got the SPLASH shape correct! During the tails creation time I was given many FALSE deadlines, first it was going to be done by June, then in August, then September, then October. When he finally started mixing the color for the base of the tail he got it almost to the color I was after but not quite, so I suggested that he add a bit of white to the mix to give it more of the pastel green that I was looking for; he didnt. Instead I ended up with a Joker-like green. I was already growing more frustrated with the process, so I just agreed to it. When he finally got the fluke together and painted it, he DID manage to get all the colors right, but the blending process was another story, the colors are bright and intense and they just seemed to bump up against each other with no transitioning at all, I had him go back and fix this. Now the big problem is when it came time to attached the nylon fins to the tail, the dragonskin silicone that he used wouldn't bond to the nylon, so he ended up attaching another fabric to the bottom and used that for the silicone to bond to. I purposely told him not to tatter the fins because I wanted to do that myself. Another thing that was going on during this time was LACK OF PICTURES, one was that he had only showed me two pics of the dorsal fin, I never even saw pics of the heel fins during this process. The pics he did send me were usually only PARTS of the tail, which was good, but I was I had more of them because I would have seen what I eventually did once the tail got to me.

After a full year of waiting the tail finally came to me on December 1, first of all the tail was just thrown into the box, no packing material whatsoever except for two crumpled pieces of brown paper and part of the box was coming apart, even the UPS man said how horrible of a packing job it was. The tail itself weighed 50lbs, but I knew that was due to the fluke, had Jesse cast it THIN like I told him to do, maybe it would have weighed less. This is where the tail took on a whole different light. AS i examined the tail, my heart began to sink as I took in all the sloppy work that had been done, now a few pics he had shown me I noticed a couple little things here and there and I asked him to fix them: they were not fixed.
I couldn't believe the poor craftsmanship of the the tail that I had waited over a year for:258052580625807 this was SUPPOSED to be the blended waist, having seen the blended waist of other clients I thought this would turn out great, but as you see It simply is two pieces stuck together, with only some minor patches of blending.
the parts where the extra fins are attached are already starting to separate from the tail, and the messy lay of silicone sticks out like on orange in the bed of apples. On the last photo you can even see the stiching starting to show from where the nylon and the other fabric were attached.

2581225813 as far as the fluke goes, I was leaning on it while I was in the process of tattering the heel fins(which were horribly shaped, had I been shown a more clear pic, this could have been fixed), and when I sat up, the black painted had rubbed off on my arm in a nice streak from where I guess the silicone hadn't cured all the way.

The next day I tried to test swim it and I even had one of the mermaids on my team go with me. I don't know what Jesse did to the body of this tail, but it fit me different than the red one, which he even used the same measurements from. I havent gained weight, I've actually done the opposite and the red tail still fits great, but this tail was very tight in the calf area and even with the help of my mermaid and her boyfriend I still couldn't pull it fully up over my butt. The new fluke was just so heavy and cumbersome I tried to do all my usual tricks and flips in it, and it just wasn't working, I felt like I had a channel marker around my ankles.

This was supposed to be my dream tail, but the whole process has been anything but a nightmare. I felt heartbroken, betrayed, lied to, cheated, and like I had lost a child.

NOW, one thing I do want to make clear is that I am NOT lashing out, bashing, or hating on Jesse. Knowing him personally he is a kind-hearted and sweet person and a friend. It's the work I am mad at. He is also NOT a scam artist or is out trying to scam others. I feel that he just stepped into a business that became way too much for him to handle in such a short time, but I do know that once he finishes his current orders he is officially done with making tails for people. I know he has had a rough year in his personal life and that's his business. But communication is key with any tailmaker and I feel that was not his best attribute this year not just with me, but with his other customers too. I asked for some a refund of most of my money back and he DID agree to it, which he said I will have it after the first of January 2015. Overall I encourage future mers wanting to purchase a silicone tail to choose wisely! Do your homework and asked questions, maybe contact other mers that have bought tails from whatever company you decide to go with and ask them about their tails. But one thing I firmly encourage is don't be afraid to voice your opinion to your tailmaker, YOU are the paying customer, and they are making YOUR dream tail, and if they are a good tailmaker they will be open to your new ideas and work with you instead of trying to do what THEY think looks good and giving you attitude back, I've had people write to me with these horror stories.

Am I glad I went with Mermaid Creations? Honestly, NO, but I don't regret the learning experience...

Mermaid Lunette
12-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I am sorry for your experience.

it's admirable the way you reviewed though, ending on a very fair note that gives some consideration to the tailmaker while still being honest that the quality was lacking.

What do you plan to do? fix the tail up?

Poseidon
12-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Thank you Lunette, the tail is pretty much almost unwearble, atleast for ME anyway, I'm going to try to swim in it one more time, but I can't repair it. I'm using my refund money to put towards something much better, and I am also going to try to sell this one eventually. I'll be sad to give up my signature SPLASH fluke-shape for a little while, but I already asked the new company I'm going with if they could mold a SPLASH fluke for me after they make the tail they will be making for me next and they said they would be happy too, so Merman Christian's tropical SPLASH flukes will be back ;)

Mermaid Lunette
12-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Thank you Lunette, the tail is pretty much almost unwearble, atleast for ME anyway, I'm going to try to swim in it one more time, but I can't repair it. I'm using my refund money to put towards something much better, and I am also going to try to sell this one eventually. I'll be sad to give up my signature SPLASH fluke-shape for a little while, but I already asked the new company I'm going with if they could mold a SPLASH fluke for me after they make the tail they will be making for me next and they said they would be happy too, so Merman Christian's tropical SPLASH flukes will be back ;)

well I am glad to hear that. Good luck with your new tailmaker(s). Also a relief about the refund, lots of horror stories out there where that does not happen.

MerMatt
12-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Merman Christian I also want to say sorry for your experience. I can agree that he became really popular quickly and tried to do his best to get all the orders filled he took. I am glad to hear things like a refund are working out. I am also not going to bash or put Jesse down. Best of luck with swimming in it and getting things in order with whatever loose ends you have.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Fyi.. I double checked with Jesse.. he does not use perma-wet.. the shiny coat is just more smooth on silicon that is untinted..
Sorry for the thread hijack.

:)

Mermaid Wesley
12-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry Christian, I knew you were so excited for this. I hope everything will work out for you in the end. Would it be possible to just Frankenstein the different parts? as far as I can tell, the fins look nice on their own? I'm just super bummed that this didnt work out...

AniaR
12-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Settle in folks, I am about the write a book.

Before I get into this I want to say I am not trying to throw Jesse under the bus. Jesse is a kind and loving person with a lot of passion. I think he - like so many others- bit off way more than he could chew way sooner than he should of. It's my understanding when he's done his orders, he'll be done with tail making. He is just trying to get through them all while working full time.

I have had concerns about Jesse's tails since the start. But I never felt like it would be appropriate for me to voice them publicly. in 2012 with no warning, Jesse gifted us with his own version of a splash tail. He wanted us to test it out, give him feedback, and help promote his work. Given the circumstances of receiving something for free, I never felt like I could publicly say anything. It was a prototype, it was free. But the reason I do say things to people in private is because all of the issues with our tail are present in currently made tails. Meaning Jesse hasn't improved much on his technique since making ours, and I think it's important people realize that.

There are a few issues with our tail that pretty much ever single MC customer I've ever known has had (they tell me personally or I can see it in photos, or I witnessed it at merfest) even in BRAND NEW tails. To date I have only known two people that are totally happy with their tail. one still has a certain problem that I'll list here. The other had to have the fluke replaced because it was too heavy and is waiting for it to be resized. (something I'll address too) Nothing against either mers but when I look at their tails I still see the problems I am about to list, and I think they're issue people should be aware of before they buy. I have been trying to hint at them all over the forum or I'll directly PM people to avoid drama. Now I think it's best to just get it out in the open even if it causes me drama...

Perma Wet- Despite a conversations on here, and my feedback from our own tail, jesse still uses perma wet. It's what gives the tail the shiny look. The problem with perma wet is that it's latex so it never fully cures over the silicone. It will peel off and take colour with it. And you can't repaint overtop of the permawet. It wont stick. Our tail peeled like crazy and I see peeling in most MC tails I see onilne. I had warned christian about the use of perma wet and suggested he be very vocal about not wanting it on things if he wanted to be able to repaint later. Raven was going to touch up my MC tail for me and was unable to because of the perma wet. Latex is also a concern when exposing it to kids. Jesse DOES use it. He admitted it on this forum and there was drama when he tried to delete the post after people calling him on it- admins can attest to that-, and I saw it first hand on tails at NC Merfest. I'm not sure if he used it on Christians tail or not because I advised Christian not to let him use it and I know Christian had spoken to him about it. I have been advising all his clients to ask him to not use it. Extra silicone can certainly be used as a clear coat. Extra silicone doesn't peel off. Extra silicone can be painted over. The majority of Jesse's tails have perma wet.

Thickness- Jesse tail's are the thickest on the market. Inches thick which make for heavier than they need to be tails, and hard to get on. They're thick because he doesn't know how to paint on top of the silicone. He achieve the colours by layering pigmented silicone until it gets to be as dark as he wants. If you're dealing with a lighter colour, it takes way more layers. Same with multiple colours. It shouldnt matter how wide the fluke is- mine is 38 inches wide and I can lift it with ease. the colour ends up streaky and I see the same issue in others as we have in ours in that it ends up over time becoming transparent. You can see bathing suit and legs right through our tail. I photoshop it constantly. Because there are so many layers of silicone that have had different curing times, they can end up separating which is what happened to ours. Our tail split into 3 and I had to sew all along the seams and the waist with clear line to reinforce it. You can go on about it being your own fault that you're not strong enough to lift Jesse's fluke but the fact is... Jesse's tails are the heaviest on the market. That's not really a clients fault, and comes directly from layering.

monofin- Jesse hasn't figured out how to glue down the monofins, and since the fluke are so thick and fill up with water it makes it not only super heavy to lift because it collects water, it makes the seams of the fluke spit open under pressure. Also, the monofin edges poke through the fluke. This happened to ours and has happened to most people I know with an MC tail. The monfins are also very noticeable. Our monofin poked through the silicone very early on, and this past summer our fluke split into two pieces. I have had many people email me about the same issues. Because it's not glued down the fluke can also get filled up with mold like ours did.

Seams- very sloppy on practically every tail I see it's just less noticeable on darker colours. You can see on christian's tail they're awful along with the lines where extra fins are attached.

Just sharing some pics of ours to back up what I'm saying. I'd point it out on other tails but I don't wanna make any other mers feel bad.

This is the day we got our MC tail, you can see in spots the perma wet is already coming off, the monfin isn't glued down and paint is very streaky and see through

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/300997_473877495980332_1823214191_n.jpg?oh=58fd20d 25969785a9f8f92e88639f63d&oe=5505A074&__gda__=1427256213_cbe3ce4a163dc1e232994c4d4ddd905 3

look at that seam to the right of this photo... :/ I always photo shop it out or have a mermaid wear a scarf over it. I saw this on new tails at NCMerfest...

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/251698_473877569313658_1757436665_n.jpg?oh=9181a3e ca2b9bef3b50674a37e681fff&oe=54FB29F8

You can see that seam and sloppy paint right here (flash made the orange look blood red)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/196058_490512117650203_2071750965_n.jpg?oh=ed29961 453892b87c92b7554200f0ca5&oe=5512553D&__gda__=1426785972_a961a77f0092c3bb9011a47b2f81557 7

Most of the photos you see of our tail on our pages have been heavily photoshopped.

I bring up these points because I STILL SEE THEM ON BRAND NEW TAILS and I don't think that's okay! You may have noticed I never wear this tail?? I tried it once and found it almost impossible to put on and way too thick when I was trying to swim. For me personally the fluke had no push. So I put it on mermaids who are smaller than I am and they have an easier time. I tried to give Jesse feedback when he first gave me the tail but he wasnt very receptive.

It breaks my heart to see Christian get a tail that is so sub par and on the same level as the first one he made so long ago. :(

I had warned Christian about a few things but Christian wanted to give his friend a chance and really believed Jesse could fufill his dreams. I am heart broken that ontop of all these issues it doesnt even fit him. Adding insult to injury for sure.

So many people have contacted me about their MC tails with complaints and Christian is the first review I've felt actually hit the nail on the head. I hope more people will post them. There are a lot of unhappy clients but no one wants to say anything.

These are all things people need to consider when buying from him. Though it seems like he wont be taking new orders in the future.

I am sorry I wasn't more up front about our tail. I hope people can understand the predicament I was in. I tried to post accurate photos though so people could see for themselves in my thread. I was shocked when I saw the state of brand new tails at NCMerfest and I know several people who got their tails refunded right away including Cicero (a NCMerfest attendant)

I will always be grateful for the tail- it allowed my sister to enjoy mermaiding. I always tried to give Jesse good photos and I gave him a good (but still honest) recommendation when the Hawaii Oceanarium contacted me to see what I thought of his tails. I think it's an example of taking on too much too soon before you really know your product and your clients.

Samantha Siren
12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you Raina, with the help of another tail maker giving me good advice I am guiding Jesse through the process of making my tail using a different method to how he usually does it. (Well that is the plan anyway). Here is hoping my gentle persuasion helps. And I also said very firmly NO PERMAWET! :)

PearlieMae
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
wow! I didn't know that about the perma wet! I very nearly bought some on the recommendation of another mermaid recently, but I'm glad now that I didn't. I worked for nearly a year on my current tail nights and weekends and vacations, and there's still so much to learn. But with each project, I am learning so much! To build tails and not improve on your techniques that's just laziness. There's no excuse. The pictures of Christian's tail make me want to cry!

AniaR
12-07-2014, 09:52 PM
yes it's made for latex and urethane rubbers. Using a clear coat of silicone isnt as shiny- the whole purpose of permawet is to make props looks shiny. But it's not worth it in the end. Mermaid Mutiny currently has my tail she's been trying to do repairs on it but I'll show some recent pics when it gets back

Sherielle
12-08-2014, 11:20 AM
My one major complaint about my MC tail is that you can see the monofin in the fluke. Not just the outline, you can see the yellow finis foil beneath the blue color of the fluke. I do like my tail and I'm forever happy to have been able to buy it so I can get started mermaiding. It is thick. I like that and I don't like it. It would be interesting for me to try on another maker's tail just to see the difference in monofin and putting it on. As it is, it's a lesson in patience and quite a workout to put on my mc tail. You could argue that I bought it second (third) hand and it wasn't made for me, but I realized early on when I saw pictures of people rolling down their tails to either put them on or to clean them that my tail was much thicker than normal.
I hate that after so much effort and time that Christian put into this tail that it's such a dismal failure. :cry:

Mermaid Sirenia
12-08-2014, 04:40 PM
It broke my heart when I saw your post about this tail, I was beyond excited for you and to have that excitement completely ruined is just heart breaking. I cannot even imagine the feeling of having a tail you've been waiting to get for so long come in the mail and end up looking like this. If that happened to me I'm not sure what I would do! You AT LEAST deserve a partial refund!!

Samantha Siren
12-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Does Jesse put drain holes in his flukes? Just making a list if things to tell him.

Sherielle
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Does Jesse put drain holes in his flukes? Just making a list if things to tell him.No he doesn't

Samantha Siren
12-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you I will let him know! Does you fluke fill with water?

Sherielle
12-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Thank you I will let him know! Does you fluke fill with water?Yes, but I haven't had a problem with it.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I have the 5th tail Jesse ever made. Ive talked to him about mine. He did NOT use perma wet on mine. I have been able to repaint. I have also been able to repair a rip i put in the ankle area and repaint over that with out peeling. I do not have a peelingissue with mine. THe fluke uissue at first was due to an unforseen issue with the softer silicone. which is why the competitor monofins poked through. When my fluke was remade. We tackled the issue. I have not sice had the monofin poke though. Nor can you see my monofin. As for my resizing issue. That is NOT jesse fault. I have lost too much weight. There need to be 6inches in changes to the size. We have discussed a solution to the problem. THe only reason I am waiting is i do not have the money to ship my tail... Again NOT jesses fault.

Im seriously getting tired of people not privy to my situtation implying they know all the details. And again. I am going to say this. If you are not me or Jesse You do not have persmission to discuss anything to do with my tail.

You say your not throwing him under the bus ..but you are. Ever since Chris posted about his tail. You have ben the most vocal about what you are not pleased with about your tail. It was free. And only the second one he ever made. He gave it to you as a gesture of friendship.. which you seem to just throw aside.

If all these people are unhappy with thier tails. Let them speak for themselves.. otherwise..its all heresay.. and that doesnt even hold up in court.

You all are like a mob with pitchforks and fire. One person leading the charge and the rest just following.

No I will agree that the issue with Chris's tail are horrible. I dont know what was going on with jesse and I will not speculate. But Chris got his refund. So why is everyone still going on and on about this? Yes it sucks his dream tail flopped. But he got his money back.

Jesse is still my friend. and I still support him. and YES. I ham Happy with my tail. I love my tail.. imperfections and all.

NO tail is PErfect. its made by human hands. Humans make mistakes.

Mermaid Kelda
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Honestly, Nerine, you're repeating Raina's points and then making it seem like she didn't make them.

She has shown her pictures and they attest to themselves. Anyone can see the issues with it. She noted that it was his first tail, but Christian's tail has the same issues (in his opinion, they are issues, and I have to agree) and his was made much more recently.

She pointed out that she was not going to talk about other people's tails. And she made it clear that she thought others should come forward if they have issues, and that it wasn't her place to criticise someone else's tail.

I'm glad you're happy with your tail. That's wonderful. But that doesn't mean you get to say whether or not others should be happy with theirs. Christian went over the top to make sure people understood that Jesse was his friend, and that he didn't want to bash him at all. He was disappointed in the product, and he has every right to be.

AniaR
12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't expect neriene to say anything negative while she is waiting for her tail to be taken in. I see issues with your tail that are listed here and I could a been a jerk and posted pics pointing it out on yours and others. As we do with other tail makers.

There's no pitch forks. Its a shame you revived this thread on Jesses birthday of all days. It had just died down...

NerineArcticMermaid
12-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I'M NOT WAITING FOR IT TO BE TAKEN IN!!

Again there are no issues with my tail.

I'm tired if no one else speaking up for Jesse. One bad trail and you ask go for blood. This is not the community I want to be part of. I fear fit any tail maker who strips up and makes a mistake or slightly imperfect product. Be ware vthe mob mentality.

AniaR
12-11-2014, 02:43 PM
You're over reacting chill out.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-11-2014, 03:04 PM
No. I'm just sick and tired of know it alls.

The way you pick apart your tail from him. A GIFT.. that makes me sick.

I dint think I'm over reacting at all. In fact.. you all are underacting.. does no one else see how horrible it is for her to pick apart a gift?..

Your tail was only the first or second one he made.. so what it's not perfect. But to use it to further your opinions.. I've lost respect for you.

The reactions this community has makes me sick.

Mermaid Momo
12-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Settle in folks, I am about the write a book.

Before I get into this I want to say I am not trying to throw Jesse under the bus. Jesse is a kind and loving person with a lot of passion. I think he - like so many others- bit off way more than he could chew way sooner than he should of. It's my understanding when he's done his orders, he'll be done with tail making. He is just trying to get through them all while working full time.

I have had concerns about Jesse's tails since the start. But I never felt like it would be appropriate for me to voice them publicly. in 2012 with no warning, Jesse gifted us with his own version of a splash tail. He wanted us to test it out, give him feedback, and help promote his work. Given the circumstances of receiving something for free, I never felt like I could publicly say anything. It was a prototype, it was free. But the reason I do say things to people in private is because all of the issues with our tail are present in currently made tails. Meaning Jesse hasn't improved much on his technique since making ours, and I think it's important people realize that.

There are a few issues with our tail that pretty much ever single MC customer I've ever known has had (they tell me personally or I can see it in photos, or I witnessed it at merfest) even in BRAND NEW tails. To date I have only known two people that are totally happy with their tail. one still has a certain problem that I'll list here. The other had to have the fluke replaced because it was too heavy and is waiting for it to be resized. (something I'll address too) Nothing against either mers but when I look at their tails I still see the problems I am about to list, and I think they're issue people should be aware of before they buy. I have been trying to hint at them all over the forum or I'll directly PM people to avoid drama. Now I think it's best to just get it out in the open even if it causes me drama...

Perma Wet- Despite a conversations on here, and my feedback from our own tail, jesse still uses perma wet. It's what gives the tail the shiny look. The problem with perma wet is that it's latex so it never fully cures over the silicone. It will peel off and take colour with it. And you can't repaint overtop of the permawet. It wont stick. Our tail peeled like crazy and I see peeling in most MC tails I see onilne. I had warned christian about the use of perma wet and suggested he be very vocal about not wanting it on things if he wanted to be able to repaint later. Raven was going to touch up my MC tail for me and was unable to because of the perma wet. Latex is also a concern when exposing it to kids. Jesse DOES use it. He admitted it on this forum and there was drama when he tried to delete the post after people calling him on it- admins can attest to that-, and I saw it first hand on tails at NC Merfest. I'm not sure if he used it on Christians tail or not because I advised Christian not to let him use it and I know Christian had spoken to him about it. I have been advising all his clients to ask him to not use it. Extra silicone can certainly be used as a clear coat. Extra silicone doesn't peel off. Extra silicone can be painted over. The majority of Jesse's tails have perma wet.

Thickness- Jesse tail's are the thickest on the market. Inches thick which make for heavier than they need to be tails, and hard to get on. They're thick because he doesn't know how to paint on top of the silicone. He achieve the colours by layering pigmented silicone until it gets to be as dark as he wants. If you're dealing with a lighter colour, it takes way more layers. Same with multiple colours. It shouldnt matter how wide the fluke is- mine is 38 inches wide and I can lift it with ease. the colour ends up streaky and I see the same issue in others as we have in ours in that it ends up over time becoming transparent. You can see bathing suit and legs right through our tail. I photoshop it constantly. Because there are so many layers of silicone that have had different curing times, they can end up separating which is what happened to ours. Our tail split into 3 and I had to sew all along the seams and the waist with clear line to reinforce it. You can go on about it being your own fault that you're not strong enough to lift Jesse's fluke but the fact is... Jesse's tails are the heaviest on the market. That's not really a clients fault, and comes directly from layering.

monofin- Jesse hasn't figured out how to glue down the monofins, and since the fluke are so thick and fill up with water it makes it not only super heavy to lift because it collects water, it makes the seams of the fluke spit open under pressure. Also, the monofin edges poke through the fluke. This happened to ours and has happened to most people I know with an MC tail. The monfins are also very noticeable. Our monofin poked through the silicone very early on, and this past summer our fluke split into two pieces. I have had many people email me about the same issues. Because it's not glued down the fluke can also get filled up with mold like ours did.

Seams- very sloppy on practically every tail I see it's just less noticeable on darker colours. You can see on christian's tail they're awful along with the lines where extra fins are attached.

Just sharing some pics of ours to back up what I'm saying. I'd point it out on other tails but I don't wanna make any other mers feel bad.

This is the day we got our MC tail, you can see in spots the perma wet is already coming off, the monfin isn't glued down and paint is very streaky and see through

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/300997_473877495980332_1823214191_n.jpg?oh=58fd20d 25969785a9f8f92e88639f63d&oe=5505A074&__gda__=1427256213_cbe3ce4a163dc1e232994c4d4ddd905 3

look at that seam to the right of this photo... :/ I always photo shop it out or have a mermaid wear a scarf over it. I saw this on new tails at NCMerfest...

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/251698_473877569313658_1757436665_n.jpg?oh=9181a3e ca2b9bef3b50674a37e681fff&oe=54FB29F8

You can see that seam and sloppy paint right here (flash made the orange look blood red)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/196058_490512117650203_2071750965_n.jpg?oh=ed29961 453892b87c92b7554200f0ca5&oe=5512553D&__gda__=1426785972_a961a77f0092c3bb9011a47b2f81557 7

Most of the photos you see of our tail on our pages have been heavily photoshopped.

I bring up these points because I STILL SEE THEM ON BRAND NEW TAILS and I don't think that's okay! You may have noticed I never wear this tail?? I tried it once and found it almost impossible to put on and way too thick when I was trying to swim. For me personally the fluke had no push. So I put it on mermaids who are smaller than I am and they have an easier time. I tried to give Jesse feedback when he first gave me the tail but he wasnt very receptive.

It breaks my heart to see Christian get a tail that is so sub par and on the same level as the first one he made so long ago. :(

I had warned Christian about a few things but Christian wanted to give his friend a chance and really believed Jesse could fufill his dreams. I am heart broken that ontop of all these issues it doesnt even fit him. Adding insult to injury for sure.

So many people have contacted me about their MC tails with complaints and Christian is the first review I've felt actually hit the nail on the head. I hope more people will post them. There are a lot of unhappy clients but no one wants to say anything.

These are all things people need to consider when buying from him. Though it seems like he wont be taking new orders in the future.

I am sorry I wasn't more up front about our tail. I hope people can understand the predicament I was in. I tried to post accurate photos though so people could see for themselves in my thread. I was shocked when I saw the state of brand new tails at NCMerfest and I know several people who got their tails refunded right away including Cicero (a NCMerfest attendant)

I will always be grateful for the tail- it allowed my sister to enjoy mermaiding. I always tried to give Jesse good photos and I gave him a good (but still honest) recommendation when the Hawaii Oceanarium contacted me to see what I thought of his tails. I think it's an example of taking on too much too soon before you really know your product and your clients.
I've noticed all of this before Raina, I always wondered why they were still showing up in tail after tail after tail and why he was still using the perma wet too. At first, I was contemplating getting a tail from him when he first started taking orders but after seeing photos of tails he did and a few preferences I have (like I don't like the shiny look or the way he doesn't blend the paint or the very very tiny scales) I decided not to risk getting a tail I didn't love. (obviously I still don't have a silicone tail haha, but that's because money is especially tight now and I can't decide on a tail maker)

MerEmma
12-11-2014, 03:09 PM
She wasn't picking it apart at all. It was a gift, yes, but it is a gift that is now a product sold to others. Raina is right to share her opinion on the issues with the tail--while it was INCREDIBLY early, to see the same issues arising on tails made now is a major issue to any consumer. Especially issues like this.

Your opinion is understandable--you're happy with your tail! FANTASTIC! But others have issues with them and it's not right to disregard them entirely simply because they aren't issues you experience. This same situation has gone down several times with Eric's work.

AniaR
12-11-2014, 03:23 PM
No one is attacking Jesse. Anywhere. You just keep insisting on twisting the convo that way and ignore huge parts of what's been said. You need to take a break. People have been more than understanding of Jesse while still being objective about the tails. This is one of the most considerate threads critiquing a tail on this site because everyone knows Jesse isn't a scammer. Chill out and take a break. You don't need to defend him cuz no ones attacking.

AniaR
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Really you've just taken it to the level of personal attacking. No one else has at all.

Mermaid Kelda
12-11-2014, 03:38 PM
The way you pick apart your tail from him. A GIFT.. that makes me sick.
Jesse ASKED Raina for her opinion when he gave it to her, as well as asking to promote his work. It would be disingenuous of her to do anything BUT give an honest review of the flaws.

Your tail was only the first or second one he made.. so what it's not perfect.
Raina noted that. The point is, those same issues still exist in his recent tails.

Mermaid Momo
12-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm tired if no one else speaking up for Jesse. One bad trail and you ask go for blood. This is not the community I want to be part of. I fear fit any tail maker who strips up and makes a mistake or slightly imperfect product. Be ware vthe mob mentality.

Nerine, No one is going for Jesse. Jesse runs a business and as such, people are allowed to voice opinions and critique his work, as people pay lots and lots of money for his product and they shouldn't be getting less than what they paid for. Yes, he's human, and yes human make mistakes, but humans also learn from those mistakes but Jesse keeps making the same mistakes over and over again in his tails that bring the quality down that Raina has said she's brought to his attention (and maybe a few other have, I know I've messaged him asking him questions about his tails and voicing my concerns for various things). Jesse seems to be set in the way he does things as his tails aren't improving in quality at all, and as such his company and work will come under careful scrutiny.

maressa
12-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I honestly think the best thing that can be done here is for mers CURRENTLY waiting for the last of his tails, since he is closing shop, to personally deal with the issues brought up in this thread- which it looks like they are, in a kind and helpful way towards Jesse.

Christian posting this thread just helps those who are getting his last orders to see what can possibly be avoided in order to have a happy transaction, both for Jesse and for the customer. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. When you have paid a LARGE amount of money for a product, it is perfectly acceptable to do everything you can to make sure that the product is satisfactory on both your end and the artist's.

I don't see this as a mob-up on anyone. I'm sure it was a less than fun experience for both people involved in the original post, but it's over now and all that can be done is move forward and make sure the rest of his clients don't have the same experience. <3

Sherielle
12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I feel horrible for Jesse. There is not much worse than getting overwhelmed like that. I had that happen with my jewelry business and had to stop doing custom order for that reason. I hope he does keep making tails, even if it's only once in a while or for artistic purposes. I'm sure at the beginning, he really enjoyed doing it and it would be a shame to quit that outlet all together. My MC tail has flaws, sure, but I do like it.

Samantha Siren
12-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Continuing on fro what Maressa has said, I have found this top be a very helpful thread. I have taken into account what the issues are have been discussing things with Jesse to make sure they are not the same with mine, for example I am going to ask him to add drainage holes and my tail is also going to be thinner because he is using a new technique of painting it for him.

Yes there has been some frustration with some tails and people have the right to express their opinions but I have seen this much more as an informative thread about how to make his future tails batter rather than slating his work. That's my opinion anyway! :)

AniaR
12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
That was the whole point. I've always shared it with people in PM and just said, "make sure you ask about ____" or "Make sure you tell him you want ____" to make sure people get what they want. Jesse is a good guy, people just need to know what they're buying is all.

OceanRose
12-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Yeah sometimes things need to get to a head, and things get brought out into the open otherwise nobody gets better because they ignore issues.

It sounds like the kinks could be ironed out judging by some of the posts here, I hope he has opportunities to carry on with improved techniques but if not, I know there are people out there who's dreams have come true because of him.

-Annwyn-
12-13-2014, 03:44 AM
Just a side thought: Isn't trying to promote a product that you know doesn't work, just a little bit unethical?

There's one thing I'll give Jesse though, his flukes look the most 'natural' in the water IMHO.

Winged Mermaid
12-13-2014, 05:33 AM
I wouldn't expect neriene to say anything negative while she is waiting for her tail to be taken in.

Actually she can't have the tail taken in. Because of the permawet, if the tail was taken in the pain job would be messed up (with the blue and white stripes) and Jesse said it can not be repainted. Which makes sense, becuase permawet. Last I heard she was going to have a whole new body made and put on the tail. She's already had the fluke entirely replaced because of the issue with the monofin poking through and tearing the fluke. Even though it was his design flaw she paid for it.

Edit: Sorry Neriene, made this post before I saw you already posted to this thread! Didn't mean to talk like you weren't here at all when you were, I apologize!

Samantha Siren
12-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Jesse told me the other day he doesn't use Permawet and doest even know how to use it. So I am a bit confused as to all these issues if he doesn't.

AniaR
12-13-2014, 10:42 AM
I was asked to promote. Did you see me promote? I never tell anyone anywhere go buy one of these tails. I always caution people. In the same way I manage to be neutral these days about mertailor. He still gets credit for our old tail, I try to be positive for others, without promoting his work. Thats how i handle my mc tail too. But nice trolling attempt there. Its getting old.

Yeah Iona can back me up and I'm sure other mers too about how there were comments by Jesse later deleted about him using permawet. I can show you exactly what it looks like when my tail is back in a week and those of you who own your own can check yourselves.
And Iona's history of nerienes tail is what I've been reading all over here and fb since she got it...

Winged Mermaid
12-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah Iona can back me up and I'm sure other mers too about how there were comments by Jesse later deleted about him using permawet. I can show you exactly what it looks like when my tail is back in a week and those of you who own your own can check yourselves.
And Iona's history of nerienes tail is what I've been reading all over here and fb since she got it...

Yeah, he commented in several places here and I think on FB as well on how he uses permawet on top of his silicone tails. Later he said that he didn't use it I went back to find the comments where he said he did... and they were gone. Also, why would he be unable to repaint/touch up paint otherwise? And also, why would it start peeling off of his tails, taking some of the paint with it? I think Raina even had a tailmaker look at it and they verified it was permawet (let me know if I'm remembering wrong). I also know that no clear coat of silicone I've seen looks as shiny and wet as his tails do, and no offense to him, but many of the other tailmakers experiment with materials a lot and therefore tend to know more about silicone materials. So... I mean it all adds up.

AniaR
12-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes and I had a person from wetta look at both my tails and it was the first thing he asked about ( I've got a photo with the guy on my fb did gig for his niece )

NerineArcticMermaid
12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Its ok iona.

I appriciate that you arent trying to speak for me. My tail situation is being handled. :)

To clarfiy.. it cant be repainted because of the method jesse uses.. he does not airbrush and another layer of paint will make my scale texture disappear.

Ps.... its nerine lol.. yall always spell it funny lol.

AniaR
12-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Not to mention more weight! I am not trying to pick on you or your tail nerine. We know Jesse is nothing like my experience with another tail maker. It just comes down to not enough people realize what they're getting into (issues like not being able to be repainted for various reasons) BEFORE they buy. Our tail isn't junk. I've had an UNUSABLE tail. And clearly we can still use this and make it work. All the issues I've listed didnt stop us from using it and getting the most out of it. I just think it's important people know what those issues are when they're waiting for a product or considering buying one.

Mermaid Nessie
12-14-2014, 12:28 AM
It's not "throwing anyone under the bus." The tail was given to Raina to review, which is exactly what she did.

maressa
12-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Just a side thought: Isn't trying to promote a product that you know doesn't work, just a little bit unethical?

I just wanted to say that I also was a bit thrown off when you added your own review here, Raina, with many more photos and descriptors of your tail that would have been good to know in your original review as soon as you started having them. I had read your original review of your MC tail, and though your photos and video of the wear and tear of it show the age, there really is not much in your post that outlined any of the issues discussed in the thread, though you DO seem to have them. So even though you didn't necessarily 'promote' the product, you put it in a very positive light and made it seem as though there were fewer issues with the tail, that's all. I know a lot of mers really respect you and trust your opinions, and you're very good at being detailed and informative in a neutral tone. This post isn't an attack, I just kind of wanted to stand up for Annwyn because I think you reacted a bit harshly to her, and I also was a bit surprised to see your review and hear that you photo shop your tails. :(

AniaR
12-14-2014, 02:12 PM
The original review was shortly after we got it. Some of the issues weren't as apparent back then. I went and added more photos a year ago or so but the attachments seem to have deleted. I basically forgot I even made a review because it was pre review system. So threads get buried.

I don't Photoshop my merbellas. I have also spoken about all the issues here and having to Photoshop the mc tail multiple times over the forum since I've owned the tail.

AniaR
12-14-2014, 02:13 PM
And PS who said the tail doesn't work?? Paint peeling off and not functioning are two different things.

Theta
12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Not trying to get into a fight here but I remember Raina talking about her MC tail issues over time. She might not have updated her review, but she hasn't hidden the issues her tail has been having. I think it's just come up more conversationally than officially. It's definitely come up in her workshops.

Mer-Crazy
12-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Just a quick question for a project I'm working on; does Jesse make scale tops and how much would one cost me? Also does he offer a custom fluke and at what cost?

Samantha Siren
12-21-2014, 07:19 AM
No he doesn't make tops, and he is closing shop I think so I don't think you could order anything from him now.

Mer-Crazy
12-21-2014, 03:48 PM
All good :) I was just asking for a project I'm working on anyway.

AniaR
12-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Updated my review with pics, will post video later. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3253-Mermaid-Creations-Review/page2

I'm glad Christian was able to get a refund, I am sad he wont have a usable tail for merfest. It really sucks :( but he'll have one of his old ones for the hotel pool and everyone is going to let him borrow tails too! Christian is so great to people, I know Karma will come around for him :)

MermaidCelesteFL
12-24-2014, 08:30 PM
I tried posting a review a few months ago, but right as I was finishing and adding the pictures, my computer flat-out died. Then my cat peed on it.

I was sincerely disappointed when I found out that Christian was going to have an elaborate tail with Jessie. I've seen Nerine's tail, and it's WONDERFUL, however, my experience with my own tail is another story.

I'm having many of the same issues Raina is having, and my tail is a little over a year old.
1. When I sent him my design, I gave him exact instructions on what I wanted, including showing blending from purple to blue, a flesh-colored blended waist, and pointing out that I wanted gold on the tip of my fluke. He never told me he didn't airbrush or do metallics, and he managed to lose my design a good four or five times. It got to the point that every time I kept sending him my design, I got tired of having to reiterate exactly what I wanted.

2. I gave him money on time, and expected timely responses. He said that he would pour my tail about a week or two after I put in my down payment. Then a month passed, and he said he would pour my tail. Then another month passed, and he said he would pour my tail. It took him six months just to pour my tail. When I started getting agitated with his lack of replies to my messages, and NO photo evidence that my tail was being worked on, I had to keep reminding him that I had already paid him and was expecting some sort of reply... at all.

3. The tail ship date kept getting pushed back, and still no photos that he was even working on it. My experience thus far had been completely different from Nerine's.

4. I had finally gotten my tail, the same day that I had a gig. When I had picked it up, it was unfinished (there was still extra silicone around the waist and fluke, making it look incredibly sloppy), so I had to take it back to my friend's place and manually cut my fluke around the extra silicone. I was also insanely disappointed in the paint job- mainly because the end of my tail was bright yellow instead of gold, there was no purple on it at all, and that there was no blended waist.

5. Putting on the tail was a 3-person job, and it took a good 45 minutes to get done. I know I might have been skinny when I was measured, but geez. In addition to the low-cut design that barely covered my butt, my stomach spilled out of that thing, making me look super-pudgey. I had to find out ways to hide my stomach in the pictures at that gig and at future gigs.

6. Weight was not much of an issue in the beginning, but when I used water to lubricate and try it on, the water just pooled up inside the fin, and nothing drained out. Lifting it became difficult quickly. Eventually, the weight of the water inside was too much for the silicone, and it busted a hole through the bottom of the fluke, splitting a good inch hole at the bottom.

7. I had been taking good care of my tail, but when someone very similar to my size tried on my tail, it tore a hole in the silicone. That's when I discovered just how thin the silicone layers were. I knew that if I sent my tail back to Jesse to fix, I wouldn't be getting it back within the same year. So I took it to Mernation, and they were able to patch it up and painted it to match the color, but the paint quickly scraped off due to the permawet. When I asked for them to repaint my tail to my actual design, they would have charged upwards of $350, and later said that they can't paint it because of the permawet.

And now the permawet layer is coming off and taking paint with it.

8. The yellow fin shows through the blue in my tail, and it kinda stands out. So does the thin-ness of the silicone around my waist/butt area, so my swimsuit always shows, even when I'm wearing white.

Overall, I wouldn't suggest people to go with MC, but I am at least happy to have a tail. I'm sorry so many people had the same problems as myself. I was insanely disappointed with my purchase when I got it, and wanted a refund from paypal, but the money had been with him so long, that getting a refund was impossible.

Samantha Siren
12-26-2014, 10:30 AM
I am not going to lie, I am getting very worried about my tail. He's "supposedly" poured mine but as Chris said "If there are no pictures he hasn't done it". I think I am going to watch him lime a hawk throughout this whole process. I am going to be devastated if he screws it up. I REALLY hope he doesn't. :cry: