PDA

View Full Version : Tear in the monofin? HELP!

Damica
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
So this is my 2nd time taking my monofin swimming in my local pool. While trying to swim backwards, I noticed there was a tiny rip on the top of the rubber foot holder (for lack of a better term). I began freaking out because I have been very gentle with it, and considering I waited about five months to get it in the pool after i got it and it was kept in a a house dry and normal temp, I have no idea what could have caused it.

is this normal? And either way, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to use it much for fear of it ripping more, so how would I fix it if Finnis customer service fall s through?

FYI, it's a Finnis Rapid. The newer yellow kind.

ShyMer
11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I had the same problem... I got my yellow rapid around September or so. Last Saturday, which would be the third time I went to use it, I saw that I had a tear in the top of my left foot pocket, about half an inch long. I'm not sure when the crack got there to be honest. I thought I was being careful enough with it.

Anyway I contacted Finis and they are going to replace it for me. I don't know off the top of my head when the warranty expires but maybe if you explain your situation they will be able to help you. They were really quick to get back to me with help. Of course they don't have any rapids at the moment for whatever reason so we'll have to wait for a while before we get a replacement :(

Was definitely heartbroken when I saw the tear. I love my monofin. Maybe there's some sort of defect? I really hope someone has suggestions for repairs for the footpocket just in case this happens again. Seeing someone else with the same problem isn't very encouraging.

Damica
11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
That's odd you mention it, because my rip is also on the top of my left foot and about a quarter of an inch. I'm going to guess it is a defect...that or we both have very VERY poor luck. I find it teribly odd that it woudl rip in the same spot if we were both trying to be careful.

I'm glad to hear Finis is going to replace yours. My boyfriend sent them a ticket tonight when I got home and showed him. I know they are super back ordered though. I hope they are as swift and pleasant with him about getting it fixed.

I was honestly kinda piffed. I had had a long day before I got to the pool, including not being able to find a takini top for under 68$ and grabbing a pair of goggles on the adult 10 rack and turns out they are 15 buck kid goggles. (I now loath sports authority). But I'm relived to hear you had a similar problem, and it's getting fixed.

Though I am wondering is this common or a way to avoid it?

Mermaid Photine
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
My finis Wave's ankle strap crumbled and fell apart part way into the first summer I used it (last summer, if that helps with manufacturing dates). It's still usable, I just have to push my feet towards the outer edge of the footpockets when I kick. I only swam in the county pool, and my friend's one once or twice. Both were chlorinated. I used the fin pretty regularly, so it might just have been the expected wear and tear.

The footpockets have only shown a bit of wear, no tears so far. Hope this information is useful to you.

Mermaid Sirena
11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I hope it works out for you! I'm certain they will be helpful :D

ShyMer your profile picture is beautiful! Is that you?

ShyMer
11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Sirena- actually I painted it. I wish that were me :)

Painter 12 is awesome. Much more fun than boring ol' Photoshop.

MermanMatty
11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
If it's the yellow monofin that I think it is, you can just take a lighter and a spoon and heat the spoon up and melt the plastic back together, I've done this before and it hasn't broken since then. I hope it works for you too! I also used to weld so I knew what to do precisely so good luck! :)))

LindseyLu
11-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I had had a long day before I got to the pool, including not being able to find a takini top for under 68$ and grabbing a pair of goggles on the adult 10 rack and turns out they are 15 buck kid goggles. (I now loath sports authority).

Whoa!!!! Damica you poor dear!!!! I know this thread is about your monofin, but I'm blown away by how much you needed to spend on a tankini!!!! I'm not sure if you are farmiliar with swimoutlet.com, but you can find MUCH cheaper suits and simming supplies here:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/

The tankini's on sale start at $9.99 :) I hope that will help you with your future swim gear needs :) Wish I could help with the tear issue too, but my rapid hasn't torn yet (hope it never does!)... But I've heard Finis' customer service is outstanding! But I think MermanMatty's technique would work too if you just want a quick fix :) Good luck! <3

Capt Nemo
12-03-2011, 12:48 AM
I noticed the straps on my Rapid (black) were showing cracking, so I hit them with silicone spray. That seems to have stopped things for now. This seems like a material problem.

malinghi
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Finis sells replacement straps, right? That seems to suggest that straps wearing out before the monofin is a common occurrence.

Anita Mermaid
12-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah. Same thing happened with my Tempo right away wag back when. I rinse off the chlorine now and let my Wave dry in the tub, out of the sun, to avoid deteriorating. My scuba instructor was adamant about us rinsing off our gear after every dive do I've carried that over in my mermaiding.

Damica
12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I tired putting clear bathroom silicon on the tear, but it won't cure and is falling off. I haven't been in the pool since. I'm really down about this. :<

Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to fix it so I can use this one in the mean time while Finnis takes forever and a day to ship out the replacements?

Mermaid Photine
12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Duct tape. It fixes everything.

I think someone on here has a monofin constructed with duct tape.

Damica
12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I saw the one that had duct tape putting two swim fins together, but not a full one. I could try, but I'm not sure how I would fix the tear with the tape. Would I simply wrap it around the foot pocket a bunch of times/ Try to just patch the spot?

taom
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Some sort of glue might work as well. Or, you could heat up a hot glue gun and use the tip to melt the edged of the rubber and bond them back together.

Capt Nemo
12-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Maybe you should come up here and we could work on it. (Oshkosh)

Worst case, we could try replacing the tops of the pockets with sheet rubber.

ScheherazOdd
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Hey, I've got a busted monofin problem as well. I'm rocking a Finis Rapid and one of the little plastic knobs on the side, that the buckles attach to, had broken off. The one on the other side is showing signs on coming unattached on one side as well. I've tried this special glue to claimed to be designed for bonding plastic but it didn't work. I was thinking of trying to melt the plastic back together but I've turned my kitchen inside-out and haven't been able to find my little blowtorch, and I don't think my lighter would have the same 'oomph'.

Any ideas?

Mermaid Lorelei
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
My Rapid monofin had the same tear problem on the foot pockets. I hit it with some E-6000 and I have used it multiple times since then. It's been just fine. I suggest using that.

Kanti
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I have the same fin I think and yea, I read in the reviews that the footpocket is often the
first thing to go. I've had mine for like, 2 weeks so far and I've been pretty rough but nothing's
torn so far. Either way, I suppose that's just the cheaper quality of fins.
You should invest in a competitor! They're really tough and meant to last through a ton of
use~