PDA

View Full Version : Glitter Coat & Zipper with Dragonskin

Mahi Mermaid
12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
So I've seen a Merbellas tail in person and they are AMAZING and one of the first things I noticed was the glitter!! Now I'm going to be using the pearlEx powders but still want to have all over glitter...anyone have success with achieving the glitter coat?

Also has anyone added a zipper with a full silicone tail? Ideas on how to do it? Thanks!

AniaR
12-14-2014, 10:11 PM
MVD had zippers in his tails but I heard they broke over time with use. I wouldnt put a zipper in unless you're convinced you can also repair it.

Mahi Mermaid
12-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Thank you! I know most who do have the zippers have the neoprene base, so was wondering if I could just have some neoprene to adhere to the silicone to make it stronger around the zipper
(but not the rest of the body)?

Miyu
12-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Hmm, that's a good idea, I had been wondering about that myself! I have a waist much smaller than my hips, and zippers are a god way to make things fit properly around my waist without looking like a sack, LOL! :p

Has anyone tested something like this, with neoprene just around the zipper area? Or would it be more feasible to do a "band" of neoprene around the hip/waist area, then silicone-only the rest of the tail? Or are zippers best used on tails with a full neoprene base?

OceanWhisper
12-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Hmm, that's a good idea, I had been wondering about that myself! I have a waist much smaller than my hips, and zippers are a god way to make things fit properly around my waist without looking like a sack, LOL! :p

haha same here :) I've been wondering if Raven could do that with a silicone tail, when I'm able to get one that would be an extra bonus, -but how would you hide it? Would there be a split dorsal or something?

Miyu
12-15-2014, 01:06 AM
That's what I was thinking, a split dorsal with maybe some velcro or snaps in there to close it if you were really picky about not having the dorsal look split :)

Usagi
12-15-2014, 02:59 AM
I didn't even think about having to squeeze hips through the waist area of a silicone tail. How much does silicone stretch? :/

Mermaid Wesley
12-15-2014, 04:00 AM
Silicone is very stretchy. Very. I haven't heard of anyone being unable to get into a full silicone tail without a zipper I could be wrong, but I think it's kindof a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trident True
12-15-2014, 06:03 AM
Ive got a zipper in my tail as its based off H20, there is only one known way to attach one to a silicone tail and that's with neoprene, attach the zip to neoprene and then silicone into place. make sure its a Nylon/plastic zipper specially designed for water. I've never had any troubles with mine.

Mermaid Kelda
12-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Silicone is very stretchy. Very. I haven't heard of anyone being unable to get into a full silicone tail without a zipper
I'd imagine it would make the silicone around the waist more prone to rips, though. The more you stretch something, the easier it is to break it.

Mahi Mermaid
12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
So I tested out some glitter today and I really don't like the results. The first is loose glitter and the second is spray glitter. I do not recommend the spray as it caused cure inhibition with some of the scales. Also you can't control how much glitter goes on---and it's too much in my opinion. I would suggest if someone wanted to use glitter to do the very fine "pixie dust" glitter---that should work (but I didn't have any on hand to test so I'll do that tomorrow!)

Mahi Mermaid
12-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Trident True--do you have pictures of your tail with the zipper? I'd loooove to see it!

OceanWhisper
12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Same here :D