PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Camera Case Help

Mermaid Sirena
11-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a really nice Nikon SLR camera, I really want to invest my Christmas money into getting a nice underwater case for it so I can have an underwater camera. However there are so many options to choose from I'm really confused as to which I should aim for. I can't afford the $1,500 one, but I don't want to get a cheap one that will ruin my camera either.

So here's the question, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with underwater camera cases?

AniaR
11-18-2011, 01:52 PM
for the price you'd pay for a reliable case you could buy my underwater Camera :) I paid 300$ for it 2 summers ago it's now much cheaper.
ExmorR DSC-TX5 Sony Waterproof

It's a fantastic little camera, touch screen, great video, can handle being dropped and real deep too. Does all sorts of great professional functions.

I see online you can get olympus waterproof point and shoot cameras now for as low as 129$

And I saw this one on the futureshop.ca site:
Olympus Stylus Tough Waterproof, Shockproof, Freezeproof 12MP Digital Camera (3005) - Silver (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/olympus-olympus-stylus-tough-waterproof-shockproof-freezeproof-12mp-digital-camera-3005-silver-3005-silver/10146238.aspx?path=2fe9cf48057c1d3f04eae9e19a89d0a 2en02) 84$

Aradia
11-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Well it really depends what you want to do with your camera.
You can get fairly cheaply point and shoot cameras like the Lumix or the Olympus Tough (although i've had friends who've had problems with both). If you're serious about taking an SLR in the water you're going to have to accept that you are going to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on the casing/strobe/filters. This is because the casings tend to be for scuba diving which requires the casing to manage under pressure.
I have friends who have SLR cameras with the casings and it really does cost heaps not to mention improper care might lead to your entire SLR getting flooded and instantly ruined, such is the nature of underwater photography though.
My advice for cheap underwater shots is to get a digital camera that goes down to about 5m and then get a snorkelling sealed bag off ebay just in case (I know people who have flooded waterproof cameras even though they're waterproof) and that way if you accidentally get down to say 7m and a small drip gets in, you'll be fine. Also think about getting one that can take a beating, the ocean tends to be rough on gear. Also most cameras come with an underwater setting that adds a red filter to your pictures as an auto-colour correct.
Also remember to wash your waterproof gear in fresh tap water when you get home and make silicone lubricant your friend, also check the o-ring seals before using casings = dodgy o-rings leak.
Good Luck!

Mermaid Sirena
11-26-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't want a point and shoot as my photographer side and design nature cringes at the idea of low quality pictures or video (I'm spoiled by my camera), so it's sounding like I really should save up for a bit of a pricier case. I really like the idea of a backup case just in case, I'm paranoid as it is so that should help with the 'AH I'M MURDERING MY POOR CAMERA'. I found out there is a camera store not to far from where my boyfriend lives so I'll have to go and talk to them about what they suggest. I'll post what they say for any future camera people :)

Thank you so much for the advice guys I really appreciate it! <3

Mermaid Jewel
11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
My underwater camera is pretty good..only in plain sunlight though...so I totally understand what you mean.

If you get a case, to make you feel better about using it, fill your sink with water, put a tissue in the case, and stick the case in there for a couple of hours. My dad does this to test for water leaks when he gets a new case and it should help ease your worries ^.^

Best of luck :D

Mermaid Sirena
11-27-2011, 07:11 PM
That's a great tip Jewel! I'll be sure to use it once I get one :D

Capt Nemo
12-03-2011, 02:37 AM
For point & shoots I'd recommend the Canon G11-12 with an Ikelite housing. I decided to go that route as the G series has just about everything a DSLR has at the price of P&S. Right now loosing a body and lens is too expensive, but loosing a G series only puts me out $500. I have the G10 at 14MP, but would have rather had the G11-12 at 10MP for better image quality. The 14 MP sensor is noisy on the G10.

Take the maximum depth rating of any housing and divide by 2. Use that figure as your max depth, and you'll be fine in most circumstances.

Your O-ring is your life! Take good care of it! UW photography is 99% O-ring and 1% inspiration.

The G series has underwater (filter) settings in the program mode, but can't be used in the creative modes that can create RAW files. (same with most DSLR's) I believe it is blue water (salt) filtering and not green water.(fresh)

Underwater you will need strobe which the G series supports via the hotshoe. (TTL) Even on bright sunny days you may be shooting at ISO's of 600+ without strobe.

Full DSLR housings and pro video housings create lots of drag in the water. You will have a hell of a time keeping up with a snorkeler even though you have more powerful fins.

The bag type housings can put a lot of pressure on buttons, and you may see actuation at half the rated depth. The bag may also prevent actuation at times. The bags work great as splash/drop protection at the surface. UW go with a housing.

HBMermaid_Angela
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow! This just answered a bunch of questions I was going to ask about Underwater cameras as well!

Mermaid Saphira
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I have an underwater camera and don't need a case, but good luck finding something :)

Mermaid Sirena
12-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you so much Capt Nemo for the advice!

Mermaid Shelly
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
We had a lot of success with underwater filming using an inexpensive little Kodak Sport (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kodak+-+playsport+zx5&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7516488157&ref=pd_sl_6esvfsa2qy_b) It was great for in the water... until we lost it last weekend! I'm seriously thinking of getting another one because our stuff always gets thrashed in the sand and these aren't too expensive to replace when the screen inevitably gets scratched up :)

Mermaid Sirena
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you Shelly! That camera is going on the xmass wish list :)

SweeteSiren
01-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I was lucky enough to get a waterproof case for Christmas & I love it, except for the fact that it floats. It is so determined to remain on top of the water that it drags me back to the surface with it whenever I try to take a picture. There is some extra room inside, so I was debating adding weights, but I'm afraid of damaging the camera. Does anyone have any fixes for this?

New York Mermaid
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I have a canon myself But I got a waterproof camera case from dicapack: http://www.accessorygeeks.com/dicapac-waterproof-camera-case.html?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Pouch&utm_content=WP-S10

I got to say I've had no issues at all with it. I even got one for my Point and shoot. And I just got the GoPro Hero 2 with underwater housing. Im excited for May When i do to discovery cove. Cant wait to test it out.

SweeteSiren
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
What a cool-looking case! I like the manufacturer's description of "shooting uncontrollably at the sceneries". :)

Mermaid Jewel
01-31-2012, 12:20 AM
I would not put weights in the case because it might bump around and hit your camera O.e

I totally understand your problem but I rarely have dived with a case, although I do use the wrist strap so when I'm swimming I can let it go. Then it just takes willpower to hold onto it and keep it down when taking a picture, as far as I know xD The camera should have enough weight though

SweeteSiren
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I suppose I could attach weights to the outside of the case - maybe hang them from the strap? Or, I could add the weight to myself. Sounds like a good excuse to eat doughnuts...

Capt Nemo
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Get double backed foam tape and tape the weights to the inside of the housing, or use velcro. Pinewood derby weights work good for that, but make sure that you make the housing neutrally buoyant, and not negative.

SweeteSiren
01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
That's a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Gem Stone
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a canon myself But I got a waterproof camera case from dicapack: http://www.accessorygeeks.com/dicapac-waterproof-camera-case.html?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Pouch&utm_content=WP-S10

I got to say I've had no issues at all with it. I even got one for my Point and shoot. And I just got the GoPro Hero 2 with underwater housing. Im excited for May When i do to discovery cove. Cant wait to test it out.

i have had to gopro before and i do not have good reviews. in fact, im trying to get rid of mine. they dont work past thirty feet and they take a special battery and i suppose for close to surface stuff they are ok, but they are rather bulky and tend to have attitudes. and you have to change the settings each time you turn it back on, and it takes almost a full thrity seconds to take a pic

SweeteSiren
02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
How deep have you gone? I haven't tried past 12 feet yet.

Siren's.symphony
04-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I was asking myself this same question today. my teacher said for shallow water pictures just use a ziplock baggy. if you have the digital cameras will automatically edit the bag out of the picture....... I don't know about you guys but that does not sound like a risk im willing to take :?

Mermaid Sirena
04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Not for me.

Nathaniel
03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Mmmm i am using a cover and a pouch for my camera when i am in under of water and take under water photo shoot and this si good water proof camera cover for make the photo shoot in underr of water which protect your camera from the water damages

AptaMer
03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi mermaid Sirena, I've photographed with an SLR using an Ikelite housing, and it was huge, cumbersome, and you had to pay total attention to the big main o-ring seal and the x-ring seals that the controls had. It also required a relatively large weight for neutral bouyancy, since it had so much air inside. I never got a leak, but a couple of people did while underwater. The look on their face when they realized the bottom half of their camera was sitting in water was, well, shall we say, distressed? As far as I know, neither of them ever was able to get the camera fixed.

Now, though, I use a much lighter, more compact, low-risk setup. I found out that Canon makes excellent full-control underwater housings for a large number of their cameras, including the A570 IS camera that we already had. Here's a picture of the case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-WP-DC12-Waterproof-Case-PowerShot/dp/B000O14JB6

It's waterproof to 40 m/130 ft and you can control every single function on the camera, and the built-in flash works through the case. It also has a set of stackable weights that allow you to adjust bouyancy for neutral or slightly floating, in either salt or fresh water.

Also the camera has a zoom lens, which is super for underwater photography.

I've never had a problem with this case, it's never leaked or had any controls fail, but if it should fail (heaven forbid) at least you're not out a huge amount of money. The A570 IS doesn't take SLR-quality photos, and Canon doesn't even make it any more, but Canon makes a housing for its rangefinder-style camera that does take SLR quality images, the Canon PowerShot G1 X ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x ) It has a 19x14 mm sensor, slightly bigger than the four-thirds sensors popular in other SLRs and mirrorless cameras, and an excellent high-n.a. zoom lens.

Canon also makes an official housing for it that only costs $279

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Waterproof-Housing-WP-DC44-PowerShot/dp/B006UN0SM6

http://youtu.be/8uzt8EH_rIg

http://youtu.be/8uzt8EH_rIg

Given that you can pick up a PowerShot C1 x for less than $800, you could have a camera and housing that would do excellent photography for less than the cost of just an SLR housing, and it would be significantly easier to use.