PDA

View Full Version : Measuring for your tail

MermaidCora
12-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Is it worth going to a tailor/ seamstress to make sure the fit is perfect?
Can you even do that?

Meronica
12-21-2014, 04:20 PM
You can always go to a local tailor to be professionally measured if you're unsure. I measured myself for my Mertailor tail and it came out perfect, but I'm an amateur seamstress. If you know any friends with a talent for sewing, I'm sure they'd be able to measure you accurately as well! (:

Mermaid Kelda
12-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Finfolk have Skyped with customers before to make sure that they were measuring in the right spot, too. It's all well and good to get a tailor to measure your waist, but your tailmaker might class "waist" as something different and then your measurements will be out anyway.

You could ask your tailmaker if they'd be happy to do something similar :)

PearlieMae
12-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I have to state that I prefer a tape dummy that is an exact replica of your body. It saves SO much headache trying to get accurate measurements!

MermaidCora
12-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Yeah, finfolk is my dream tail! That is super kind of them to do that! Sort of removes stress for the buyer and seller. A tape dummy huh? What do you make that out of... besides tape I mean?

Winged Mermaid
12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Here's a whole thread full of great measuring tips and techniques :) Tips on Measuring for a Tail (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4157-Tips-on-Measuring-for-a-Tail)
I found going to a seamstresses was pretty useless for getting measurements for tails. They know how to measure for clothes, and that doesn't translate well at all to tails. It's possible I just got inflexible seamstresses, but the tips in the thread I linked you just need one other person (2 if possible, but optional) and you can get good measurements!

MermaidCora
12-22-2014, 05:32 PM
This was SO helpful Iona! Thank you! Can't wait to get started!