PDA

View Full Version : Really F***ed up video of tuna industry killing marine life

malinghi
11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Have you guys seen this? Its absolutely horrifying. You might not want to watch if you can't handle graphic footage.

From the Guardian:
"New video footage captured by a tuna industry whistleblower has been released by Greenpeace, which reveals the routine slaughter of other marine species, including whale sharks, rays and whales. The footage is shot onboard a tuna fishing vessel in the Pacific which deploys fish aggregating devices, one of the most aggressive fishing operations used by the industry in the face of declining fish populations owing to overfishing."

http://gu.com/p/33ef8

New York Mermaid
11-19-2011, 08:58 PM
This makes me furious!, Those poor animals ..

SireniaSolaris
12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I can't even begin to express how much this upsets me...:mad:

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I had trouble hearing what he was saying under the voice disguising device. What was the point of cutting up that poor ray or lifting the sharks, swordfish and whales out?

Mermaid Saphira
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Poor sword fish, ray, shark :(

malinghi
02-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I had trouble hearing what he was saying under the voice disguising device. What was the point of cutting up that poor ray or lifting the sharks, swordfish and whales out?

I'm not sure. I thought maybe they were just lifting them out to throw them away, and maybe they kill them so they don't thrash around, but I don't know, that's a good question...

SweeteSiren
02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Shark and swordfish meat can be bought in many places, they may just be adding them to the catch. As for the rays, I've heard that most seafood that's labelled as "scallops" is actually meat from sting rays. I've never heard of anyone doing it to manta's but I supposed anything is possible where profit is concerned.

Kanti
05-06-2012, 05:54 PM
-__-
I really f**king hate the fishing industry.
Pretty much every food industry.. The way humans treat their animals in general is very disgusting.

Its stuff like this that actually makes me happy when natural disasters happen.
I'd like to think of it as nature's way of striking back.

Nemefish
05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
poor creatures....tears and no more comments 0,_,0

Mermaid Momo
05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
-__-
I really f**king hate the fishing industry.
Pretty much every food industry.. The way humans treat their animals in general is very disgusting.

SAME. i always wanted to live off the land with my own animals that i would slaughter myself. and everytime i told someone this they would always ask me. "why o through all that trouble, when you can go to the super market now?" and my response: "because the super market gets their meat in f**ed up ways and i don't want to add to that demand. I want to know that what i'm eating wasn't slaughtered in a horrible way like most animals. and that they don't feel a thing or even know it's coming."
(on another note, a good documentary to see how animals are abused going to slaughter is food.inc.)

Mermaid Arianna
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
trying to join green peace but you have to be 14! one more year and i can help stop these stupid selfish people!

Thalassa
07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh, no! Why do people have to be so irresponsible with the creatures of this planet? :-( Poor things!

Mermaid Annariea
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
that is horrible. those poor creatures...
is there a petition to ban this device or something?

Mizuko
07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
The whole fishing industry isn't like this- I promise!
I grew up in a fishing town- Tuna is one of the biggest sellers here- but we pride ourselves on being marine-animal safe. Great Whites get caught up with the Tuna sometimes, and you wouldn't BELIEVE the effort the fishermen go to to release it again (such as diving into the net, cutting it open and trying to scare the shark out- losing tuna in the process but not the sharks life!) I know that is isn't like this everywhere, unfortunately :(
Plus, we farm tuna. So less wild tuna are harvested- which means less likely hood of catching sharks too.
I wish the rest of the world would follow this way. I believe humans should live harmoniously with the world- taking only what we need in the safest way for both people and animals. However, a lot of countries don't have as strict fishing laws as we do, and that's when disgusting things such as this happens.

Mermaid Crystal
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
tHIS IS SO SAD! I NEARLY CRIED WHEN I SAW THIS!

Mermaid Crystal
08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I am So lucky I am a mermaid instead of a human!