PDA

View Full Version : I know it's not QUITE mermaids but beautifully animated Selkie movie...

Mermaid Clarity
01-03-2015, 02:32 AM
So the studio that did the Secret of Kells (if anyone saw that) is doing a movie about selkies called Song of the Sea (trailer attached below.) It's totally inspiring me to somehow figure out how to do a selkie-inspired tail. They're sort of mermaid cousins, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q

Mermaid Wesley
01-03-2015, 04:06 AM
I am so stoked for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Nerida
01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
OOH! That looks really good!!!:rainbow:

Vrindavana Starfish
01-03-2015, 03:28 PM
I am SO MAD that this isn't playing anywhere near me!:mad: SO MAD!:mad::mad::mad: I have to wait to buy it. :(

AptaMer
01-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Hmmm. Amazon Canada has a pre-order option for the upcoming BluRay of this movie.

http://www.amazon.ca/Song-Sea-Blu-ray-DVD-UltraViolet/dp/B00R8KIJSU

and it's only CAN$26.95, which is pretty good for a new BluRay

It's also available for pre-order on DVD,

http://www.amazon.ca/Song-of-the-Sea/dp/B00R8KIJ3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1420356770&sr=1-1&keywords=song+of+the+sea+dvd

but I checked Amazon USA, Amazon UK and Amazon.de, and none of them have a listing for the BluRay or the DVD. Could that be because the movie had a theatrical release in Europe and the USA, but not in Canada?

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss that out there (Amazon.ca will ship to other countries BTW, and Americans might want to consider that with exchange it would only be about US$23, might be a better deal than on Amazon.com)

The disks would be Region 1 (DVD)/Region A (BluRay) which mean they're only supposed to play in North America & Japan, so if Europeans or Australians opt to get one from Amazon.ca, you would need to have one of those players that will ignore regions codes and play discs from any region (or play it on your computer)

I don't know if this will be an option to get the movie on disc faster, but thought I'd put it out there. I sooo want to see this.

Mermaid Mhara
01-04-2015, 04:00 AM
D:

This looks amazing and I have not heard of it until now...omg!

If you haven't watched it and you're a fan of selkies (and cus this trailer kinda reminded me of it) check out 'The Secret of Roan Inish' it's a beautiful movie.

Anyways...yes! This better be released on DVD in the UK at some point! If not I'm importing!

Vrindavana Starfish
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
I love The Secret of Roan Inish!
Song of the Sea is currently playing in theaters in the US, but nothing in my state.

Mermaid Galene
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Roan Inish is one of my favorite films! Bought the DVD a few years ago.

Mermaid Clarity
01-04-2015, 02:20 PM
People keep recommending Secret of Roan Inish to me. I just haven't gotten around to it for reasons I can't figure out yet. It looks lovely, though.

AptaMer
01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
For those into instant gratification, you can watch Roan Inish here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4nmCK0nMpg

AptaMer
01-04-2015, 04:05 PM
And while we're into selkie movies, here's the movie Selkie (2000, Australia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6linqhJ87A

Mermaid Jaffa
01-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I love the Selkie movie! Watched it a while back. What I loved about it was, the main character isn't a girl/woman, so his perspective is different, which is refreshing to see.

AptaMer
01-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I also liked how the woman living in the shack on the beach who everybody thought was an ugly loner turned out to be the most magical creature on the island with a hidden beauty.

Mermaid Saoirse
01-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Ahahaha funny thing is I'd only heard of this in passing!
Extremely funny that I ended up with Saoirse as my mermaid name. Now I'm obligated to watch this xD

SeaGlass Siren
01-12-2015, 08:29 PM
it's already in theatres in toronto. only at the TIFF Lightbox though. EEP. I MUST.

Mermaid Dottie
01-12-2015, 09:05 PM
I AM SO FIN-FLIPPING EXCITED FOR THIS OHMAHGOSH!!!!!!! And it's Mad-Eye Moody as the dad, in case I'm the only one that noticed. I absolutely LOVE the secret of kells, and so a selkie movie by them has got to be EPIC! unfortunately it won't be in any theatres near me, so I'm going to have to wait for the blu-ray release. By the way, It's now available for pre-order on amazon in the states...

SeaGlass Siren
01-12-2015, 09:08 PM
I havent seen secret of the kells. what's it about?

Mermaid Dottie
01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
I havent seen secret of the kells. what's it about?
A fae girl, and a young christian monk. It's marvelous! The book of kells is one of the oldest copies of biblical writings surviving today. The movie includes parts of it's creation. It's beautiful, and the animation in the film recreates the artwork in it breath-takingly.

"Young Brendan lives in a remote medieval outpost under siege from barbarian raids. But a new life of adventure beckons when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from the isle of Iona carrying an ancient but unfinished book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?
- Written by GKids (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?plot_author=GKids&view=simple&sort=alpha&ref_=ttpl_pl_1)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q

SeaGlass Siren
01-12-2015, 09:25 PM
oh. oh my. that is really dark ;_; but it's also very beautiful.

Mermaid Dottie
01-12-2015, 09:36 PM
It does have a couple dark parts, but it is really a beautiful, colorful film, and I love how Aislynn and Brenden are friends, while also still being completely true to themselves (A wolf-shapeshifter and a young christian monk).

Grey Gambit
01-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Oh, I'm definitely going to need this movie! The Secret of Kells was great, but selkies– <3
I remember a lot of childhood moments watching Roan Inish over and over again, too.

AptaMer
01-13-2015, 09:11 PM
So united Artists has announced the DVD & Blu-Ray versions will be released in North America on March 17, 2015. It will be DVD Region 1/Blu-Ray region A

No date was announced for a European release (DVD Region 2/Blu-Ray region B) which is funny, since the film was made in Ireland, and was very well received in Europe. Oh well Euro-Mers, just keep hanging in there . . . or get a region-free player :cool:

BTW SeaGlass, thanx for the heads-up about it showing at the Lightbox theatre. I do wanna get down there & see it on the big screen.

SeaGlass Siren
01-14-2015, 09:49 AM
ME TOO! I'm actually planning a date to see it. should we meet up?

AptaMer
01-21-2015, 03:58 PM
ME TOO! I'm actually planning a date to see it. should we meet up?

Hey SeaGlass,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would be up for meeting to see the movie. Any other GTA mers out there who'd like to see it?

I do have one concern, though. I'm moving on Jan. 31, and have a couple of grant applications that have to be written by Feb. 6, so I'll be working day & night until then and wouldn't be able to go until sometime after the 6th.

They have been showing the movie since last fall and I'm wondering when they'll discontinue it. I called the office of the TIFF Lightbox Theatre to see how long they are planning to keep it running. The person there said the theatre manager decides week by week what movies to keep showing and which ones to drop. She said the decision is made every Wednesday about keeping a film or not, so she said on the Wed. of a given week you should check the Thursday listing, and if the film is there, it'll be showing for the following week.

I just checked the listings ( http://tiff.net/whats-on/whats-on-today/20150122 ) and Song of the Sea is there, so we're good for another week. She said there's no way she could guarantee the film would still be showing in the second week of February, though.

So, if you're willing to take a chance on the film still showing 3 weeks from now, meeting up would be great. I'd hate to be the cause of you missing out on seeing it in the theatre, though, if they discontinue it before then. Whether you decide to take in the film sooner, or wait for a meetup, I'm good with either decision.

Talia
01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Since we are talking about selkies I would like to recommend a book that I read when I was younger. It is called A Stranger Came Ashore (http://www.iblist.com/book29766.htm), by Mollie Hunter (http://www.iblist.com/author10553.htm). I absolutely loved it.

I may still have it, I would have to find it and read it again.

Mermaid Clarity
01-23-2015, 03:03 PM
So i did get a chance to see the movie a couple of weeks ago and I'll try to give my impressions without spoiling it. I can put up a more in-depth and spoilery review if anyone wants one, though. It was visually stunning, even nominated for an Oscar (it probably won't win but that's a whole other can of worms.) I adored the animation it was gorgeous and just colorful and so creative. It was like gourmet eye-candy. The music was wonderful and ethereal and had a wonderful celtic folk feel. The story itself was fairly simple and had a very folktale feel to it but I was NOT prepared for the feels that this movie gave me. I took a friend who had no idea what this movie would look like or be about or anything and he looked at me afterwards and I saw tears in his eyes. It's a beautiful family movie too and I would highly recommend seeing it with loved ones if only so that you can look at each other afterwards and be like, "AWWW I WANT TO HUG ALL OF YOU."

AptaMer
02-09-2015, 02:54 PM
So I checked with the TIFF Lightbox Theatre, and they've ended Song of the Sea's run, unfortunately. I hope I didn't make you miss it, SeaGlass!

Oh well. Definitely have to get the Blu-Ray now.

Some other interesting news, I'll follow up with a new thread in the Pod group. They are going to be showing The Little Mermaid in March.