PDA

View Full Version : Benzoyl Peroxide after swimming

Mermaid Jaffa
01-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Hi!

Have searched and found nothing relating to BP facial creams.

If you have a Benzoyl Peroxide based face cream, even in the tiniest percentage, do not use it after your swim. Even if you have washed your face/skin several times with soap, if you use it, your skin will become inflamed and red. I found this out yesterday night... Not a pleasant experience.

It won't matter either if you've soaked yourself for 15 mins under the showers before your swim, your skin will still absorb some chlorine. And when you use your BP cream afterwards, your skin will hurt. Best to wait one or two days until your skin settles, until you can use the cream again.

Just putting it out there so mers who use this type of creams, know its not a direct reaction to chlorine.

MerShellly
01-03-2015, 09:42 PM
I don't use it but that's very good to know for the future. Thx!:)

Arielle
01-04-2015, 04:44 AM
Ooh, good to know! Thank you for posting this. :)

Sounds like it hurts though, ouch!

Miyu
01-04-2015, 10:50 AM
I like to use French green clay and seaweed powder to help detox some of that chlorine from my skin ASAP, because of course most products don't think you're going to be using it after swimming... It seems we mermaids really abuse our skin as well as our tails and accessories! :p

Vrindavana Starfish
01-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I've been using African Black Soap (Allafia brand) and it's amazing. Also, it seems to really get rid of chlorine (the charcoal is very detoxifying.)

Other non-benzoyl peroxide remedies that cleared my skin: oil cleansing method and washing my face with raw honey.

I'd been prescribed benzoyl peroxide creams and washes for my skin for years and it finally occurred to me—my skin is really sensitive and that is harsh stuff. No wonder I'm still breaking out. I dropped all the harsh stuff, including soaps with sulfates, and my skin was so much happier. Might not be the case for some people, but if your skin is sensitive, it might be worth it to go the opposite way to combat breakouts and get the simple, gentle stuff so your skin can calm down.

Mermaid Kelda
01-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Might not be the case for some people, but if your skin is sensitive, it might be worth it to go the opposite way to combat breakouts and get the simple, gentle stuff so your skin can calm down.
Although this is de-railing somewhat, I'd like to second this - I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser morning and night, and it does wonders for me. Benzac sort of worked for me, but if something gentler (and less of an issue after chlorine) does the same job, I'd vote for that!

Mermaid Jaffa
01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks mers! I have a bottle of Cetaphil somewhere, I'll swap it out and see how I go.