PDA

View Full Version : Any tips from the breath hold class at Merfest?

Mer-gal
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
1. I don't know if I put this thread in the right spot. Feel free to move it if it is not.
2. I don't know if you are aloud to share tips from that class. If not, I could just delete this thread.

Anyway, I was not able to go to merfest, and there for unable to go to the breath hold class. I was hoping, if anyone went to the class, they could post some of the things they learned.

Mermaid Wesley
01-04-2015, 01:38 PM
I have a brochure I'll post it later :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mer-gal
01-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Thank you. I can't wait

MermaidCora
01-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes please!!! Great idea Mer-gal!!! Thanks Mermaid Wesley!!!

Mermaid Kelda
01-04-2015, 03:54 PM
If not, I could just delete this thread.
Pro tip: you cannot delete your own threads, only posts.

But yes, throw me in the "I wanna see" boat, too!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Be aware that one of the things John Jay stressed to us was that, while learning usually makes things safer, in breath holding it can be the opposite. If you do share things from the class, everyone needs to remember that this can be dangerous and that it should never be practiced without someone who knows signs to look for (like the falling apart of the "ok" sign made by fingertips to indicate passing out).

Princess Pearl
01-06-2015, 02:18 PM
That tip about the ok sign is actually really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mer-gal
01-06-2015, 07:55 PM
That is a good Idea. I was actually about to write a post saying that the breath hold stuff can be dangerous and people should take precautions, but you beet me to it!

Emmadives
03-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Hey guys! I just completed my SSI freediving certification and can offer a few breath hold tips here. #1 most important thing, though, is to always practice with a buddy who's watching you and make sure you're frequently checking in with signals to show that you're still doing good.

I learned a relaxation "breathe up" pattern that helps your heart rate slow down and allows your body to absorb the most oxygen. Note: hyperventilating is not safe because it can cause your body to not react appropriately to built up CO2, and can then cause you to pass out!

The breathe up pattern I learned was: deep breath in for 2 seconds, hold it (full) for 2 seconds, breathe the air out for 10 seconds, hold it (empty) for 2 seconds, and then start the pattern over again. Do this pattern on repeat for twice the time you plan to breath-hold for. So if you're trying to do a 2 minute breath hold, do this breathe-up for 4 minutes. Then when you're 15 seconds from starting the breath hold, breath in for 2 seconds and out for 5 seconds 2-4x, with a final very deep breath to hold in during your breath hold.

dragondancer2004
04-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks for sharing guys

MermaidVictory
04-07-2015, 12:31 AM
This was super helpful. Thank you!