PDA

View Full Version : My impression of NC Merfest

MermanDan
01-05-2015, 09:51 PM
I would like to offer my impression of the NC Merfest.
This was my first Mer convention. I have been to comic book conventions as well as Star trek conventions. I also did the book keeping for a barbie convention. I am including this information to lend credibility.
Generally conventions, to me, are events that revolve around a specific interest. Guest speakers and vendors are the reason I go as I enjoy hearing about how things happened, what went into them as well as buying stuff.
Merfest was different as it was centered around cosplay in a lot of water. Also, the Mer community is a lot smaller than the Trekker community which makes it easier to recognise people. I knew that there were going to be specific "celebrities" that I wanted to meet as well as people I only knew from Social media. It is one thing to speak to someone from the insulation and annonymity from facebook than face to face. What if they are dissapointed that I am not whom I seem to be? Will they be nice?

So the Merfest in general. I had a blast. I had arrived way late in the day on Friday and made it to the Aqatic Center with an hour and a half to swim. I got to meet Merman Christian for the first time and it was like I was meeting an old friend. I also met another mer who was nervous about this being his first time, again it was like meeting another friend.
After swimming, it was time for the meet and greet. I was happy to have met Twigg the Fairy in a setting where she could talk. I also got to meet the lovely Fin Folk sisters and had a wonderful conversation with them. I chatted with Matthew and Eric the mertailor and got a sneak peek at their competition tails as well as their dogs.
One of the highlights of the evening, was that the mer community had secretly collected money to buy Merman Christian a Fin Folk Tail. What a wonderful gift!
Mermaid Marla's husband was our D.J. For karaoke and everyone, no matter what their singing ability, were applauded for sharing. Raina the Mermaid has a wonderful voice. Mine sounds better in a car. Alone. Later was a gathering of Mers in the hotel pool and hot tub. Socializing went way into the early morning.
Next day was more swimming. And it was wonderful to have, not only the luxery of deep water, but tons of merfolk to swim with. There are so many unique tails and stories to go with them. One of the highlights of the day was that Caribbean Pearl had tottaly adopted my friend, Tikva, who was nervous about his first merfest. That night was the Masquerade party that had a steampunk/ seapunk theme. Hilarity did ensue and there was great music for dancing and a big group shot. I got to have my picture taken with tons of people as well as another pool party where I got to meet Glimmer the mermaid and another Marla who was a mermaid from Weeki Wachee Springs back in 1969. She is one the people inspired me to be a Merman. She is amazing and we talked about standards for Professional Merfolk. There was also a lot of mermaid punch as well as playing with a "wubble". That went on way past 4 in the morning.
I think that, if fun wasn't had at the convention, it was by choice. Do things always go smoothly at conventions? No. If you have a complaint then please have a solution. Is the convention responsible if you don't have fun or make friends? No. I left North Carolina with sadnnes only because I was leaving new friends that I can't wait to see again. Check out the Convention site as I am sure that there will be tons of pictures.

Merman Dan
01-05-2015, 10:00 PM
It was great to meet you, Dan! The MerFest withdrawal symptoms have started, here... happy tears... missing my friends...

I hope to see you at the next one!!

AniaR
01-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Love yooooouuuuu

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
It was a pleasure to make a new friend at NC Merfest, MermanDan! Thanks for taking the time to talk with me... I think that is one of your special talents.

Mermaid Galene
01-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Glad you had such a great time!

Echidna
01-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Wish I had been there.

Mermaid Wesley
01-06-2015, 02:57 AM
I agree completely! It was great to meet you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
01-06-2015, 09:46 AM
:mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Dottie
01-09-2015, 05:56 PM
IT WAS SO AWESOME MEETING YOU DAN! And Dan!

Merman Dan
01-09-2015, 06:35 PM
IT WAS SO AWESOME MEETING YOU DAN! And Dan!

Dan-Dottie-Dan! :)
Photo by Heather Mermaid