PDA

View Full Version : Russian Tail Maker Etsy

AniaR
01-09-2015, 10:17 PM
I know most people on here are all, oh yeah copying is no big deal etc but surely this is a stretch of that...?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/217402615/unique-handmade-made-to-order?ref=listing-shop-header-1

https://img1.etsystatic.com/057/0/10120910/il_570xN.707606361_7tup.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/059/0/10120910/il_570xN.707606397_a2ii.jpg

I feel like ya gotta draw the line somewhere... :/ but that's just me and I feel protective of my friend who works so hard to create unique designs for clients. There is no mistaking where the idea for this tail came from.

Mermaidmechanic
01-09-2015, 10:41 PM
She also copied a finfolk fluke. This chick grinds my gears, trying to sell a product in which she clearly ripped off fluke design down to the detail. At least her over-all quality of work is a pale comparison.

AniaR
01-09-2015, 10:58 PM
and she's selling them major undercutting, and 20-30 day production time???

Mermaid Hitode
01-09-2015, 11:06 PM
:jelly: That is so rude and not cool of her.Raven works incredibly hard and does not deserve to have her work stolen.I wish we could call her out on copyright or something.Poor Raven she must feel really miffed.

AniaR
01-09-2015, 11:12 PM
there's no copyright. it just sucks :( knock offs. literally.

Mermaid Sirenia
01-09-2015, 11:15 PM
This really upsets me, like how about actually being unique and creative and come up with your own designs!

Mermaid Wesley
01-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Yeah it's uncool. I would have raven contact her and ask that she stop. Most people are reasonable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AniaR
01-10-2015, 12:00 AM
yeah she is but I doubt the girl will.

Starfrit
01-10-2015, 12:28 AM
20-30 day production time I can almost understand. Not sure about the silicone-curing part of the process, but her airbrushing looks horrendously rushed.

Also, I'm going to slip this in on the side, because these comments are always going to inevitably crop up in any discussion regarding knockoffs/copycats/art theft: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and "Nothing is original anymore" are utter bullshit, copout defenses used by the ignorant to excuse lazy, unimaginative weasels who just want to make a quick buck off of other peoples' hard work. Anybody who uses these excuses to brush off the slimy crap this girl is doing are part of the problem.

This crap infuriates me to no end. She clearly knows how to sculpt and has some artistic/creative skill. What exactly is stopping her from coming up with her own ideas? Ripping other makers off like this is a complete waste of her talent.

AniaR
01-10-2015, 01:10 AM
^ this

Fifi Tigg
01-10-2015, 01:10 AM
That's terrible! But you can tell the difference in quality! Not cool :(

Mermaid Harmony
01-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Okay, I understand the similarities, but is no one going to mention those beautiful pectoral fins or that awesome scale jacket? She may copy in some places, but that jacket is awesome, and those fins are much like hannahs, but still gorgeous. https://www.etsy.com/listing/217402425/silicone-mermaid-costume?ref=related-3 (link)

Echidna
01-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Well, if someone gave her a design saying "it should look like this", do you expect everyone to do a long research making sure there is no similar design already, and going "nope sorry, this design is not original, so I won't make your tail"?

Personally, I do not know every tail design out there.
So even if it's clear to many of you folks which fluke looks like this and that, it doesn't mean everyone in the world knows.

Regarding the low price; she can probably afford this because she lives in a country with low living costs.
And just -maybe- she cannot afford declining a customer's design on moral highgrounds because she needs the money?
Just a thought.

Coradion
01-10-2015, 02:55 AM
20-30 day production time I can almost understand. Not sure about the silicone-curing part of the process, but her airbrushing looks horrendously rushed.

Also, I'm going to slip this in on the side, because these comments are always going to inevitably crop up in any discussion regarding knockoffs/copycats/art theft: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and "Nothing is original anymore" are utter bullshit, copout defenses used by the ignorant to excuse lazy, unimaginative weasels who just want to make a quick buck off of other peoples' hard work. Anybody who uses these excuses to brush off the slimy crap this girl is doing are part of the problem.

This crap infuriates me to no end. She clearly knows how to sculpt and has some artistic/creative skill. What exactly is stopping her from coming up with her own ideas? Ripping other makers off like this is a complete waste of her talent.

If you already have the molds you can pour and have all your silicone pieces done in a day, even in a couple hours. Depending on the cure time of your silicone and what you add you can mix and pour a full batch of silicone and have it out of the molds in an hour, less time if you use a fast cure silicone and it's warm and not humid. You can also speed cure with heat. If you can seam tails quickly it is definitely doable to have a full tail done and seamed in a day. Painting with an airbrush takes forever especially with silicone paints and if you use multiple colors it's really hard to "rush" even if you have a high end airbrush you still spend a lot of time cleaning out the pieces and refilling and remixing paints, then you have to thin it out and then apply it. For me at least the process of cleaning all the pieces makes you stop and think about what you're doing to ensure it's efficient and precise. You can paint a full tail in a day if you're determined and definitely still look good. If you want to speed cure a silicone paint job you literally blast it with a hair dryer for two minutes and it's done.

AniaR
01-10-2015, 03:13 AM
Sorry its like an exact copy in my eyes. Not even just a fluke. I get so tired of the never ending ripping off in the community. Its so disheartening. Its one thing to be inspired by. Or at least give credit where credit is due. I'm happy having a tail maker who strives to be original even if people are inspired by others. Then again, I got really positive validation from the splash tail team on ravens unique take on that tail.

Raven will always set the bar and people will always find excuses to copy. What it comes down to is people know clients want her look without the price tag. Tail as old as time indeed. Well. People always get what they pay for as we have seen time and time again in this community. And then they'll come here and complain about it.

Echidna
01-10-2015, 04:11 AM
Yes, in this one case, it's an almost exact copy.
The tails are made to order though.

Thinking of the Magictail contest, where loads of entries were "designs" of already existing tails, it's more than probable this particular tail was made to the customer's wishes- and as I've pointed out, it's almost impossible to know every tail's look out there.
In half of this kind of threads, I've no idea what folks are talking about even though I'm on this forum and often check tailmaking threads.
I'm willing to give someone I don't know anything about the benefit of the doubt before bashing them and their work.

SeaNymph
01-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Raina is right here. These are not just inspired flukes, these are EXACT copies! This just crosses the line. Not only that the original tailmakers put so much work, ideas and art in their designs and next to probably being very disappointed, they now have also to fear loosing potential customers who think (yes, only think) that they can get the same look but cheaper and in shorter time.
I think like Tieri that she has some talent and wastes it with copies. Why not use it to establish an own company with own designs? Whatever, I hope nobody will buy this copied crap...

Starfrit
01-10-2015, 09:49 AM
I should note that this particular tail isn't made-to-order; according to her Instagram, this is a tail she made with the intention of auctioning it off.

So this isn't a case of, "a client gave me a picture and I based it off that," this is her deliberately ripping off a high-profile tailmaker in an attempt to make some extra bank.

I think, in a way, that makes this even worse IMO. How many people are gonna see that tail for auction, likely at a low price like her custom tails, and bid on it thinking it's actually one of Raven's?

Echidna
01-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Makes me wonder if she reads MN (and follows tailmaker threads), as I remember that particular tail appealed to many people all willing to bid for it on ebay, and some were sad they were outbid.

Pretty smart move there, from a business perspective. And a very low one for an artist.

Yulia
01-10-2015, 10:31 AM
She is good enough to make tails without copying others work.
I hope the original makers can make her stop this.

AniaR
01-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Agreed.

All I see is a bad knock off.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10507012_733573963365353_3191613201824053218_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10443085_733189786737104_3020228216044926090_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/1487749_644350502287700_1499017959_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/1274306_597895213599896_1775390164_o.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1271762_598854466837304_1970278267_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/477098_522244354498316_151085802_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/s960x960/459570_522060577850027_1486447518_o.jpg

If you want a cheap knock off with defects I can already spot. Then don't complain when it falls apart. It may be a lot of money and a long wait for something reliable, but hey my prototype tail lasted 3+ years and people on here are buying ones that don't even last the year, that have issues after a few swims. There are loads of reputable tail makers now. We're smaller than we think for a community, it would just be nice to see some excuse free integrity once in a while ya know?

courtneymermaid
01-10-2015, 12:48 PM
I think the best thing we can do is to spread the word to those mers out there looking for tails who might not be aware so that this person can't continue on with this nonsense for lack of business. What an awful thing to do! It really makes me sad for this person that they must feel so poorly about themselves and their creative skills that they feel the need to steal ideas from other people. Let's face it, it's pretty hard to re-create the wheel, but this is clearly a rip off! Not cool. :(

26494926bdgqifkwb
01-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Don't forget that she also did a Finfolk copy. I found her Etsy the other day and got SERIOUSLY angry at it.

Yulia
01-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Someone should let the Finfolk girls know this has happened.

Elle
01-10-2015, 04:53 PM
We were discussing this earlier in the week/last week. You can see that thread here;

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9921-Strange-eBay-seller

Elle
01-10-2015, 04:55 PM
the mermaid suit is supposedly based of a character from league of legends, but the fluke is Lorena by finfolk.

I tagged finfolk and merbellas on the offenders instagram. So that hopefully they'll see it and be able to do something for there companies.

QueenZero
01-10-2015, 11:45 PM
I kept my opinion neutral in the other thread, mainly because I didn't have enough information, but something left a bad taste in my mouth from the beginning. This just pisses me off. You spend all this time and energy on making something that ISN'T YOURS and you plan on selling it!
Is there a pissy emoji...
:mad:
Not strong enough.
:anger explode:
That'll work.

Mermaid Mhara
01-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Such a shame that someone with such potential to learn and grow, and become a great tail maker...stoops to copying others designs and looks. I just wonder why...I mean even if I was completely useless in imagination and unable to come up with my own designs, and wanted to make tails...there's PLENTY of movie Mermaid tails you can take inspiration from. It just makes no sense to me?

Hopefully it will all be sorted!

Echidna
01-11-2015, 12:43 AM
^^
I believe she reads MN (the famous tailmaker threads specifically).
There was a bit of discussion about this one particular tail she copied, many people saying they would like this tail or one like it, and willing to pay a lot of money for it too.

I don't think it's a coincidence this tail was copied, and not any other Merbella's, as they are all gorgeous.

Very disappointing someone would stoop so low.

Elle
01-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Is there a pissy emoji...
:mad:
Not strong enough.
:anger explode:
That'll work.

Love this.

AniaR
01-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I think the jacket etc show she has real skill. Just a shame to waste it on copying. And I do think it's one thing to make it for your own personal use, but another to try and sell knock offs you know? I bet shes proud of her work and that;s fine, just don't copy again in the future please!

courtneymermaid
01-11-2015, 12:19 PM
@Raina: Totally agree!

Theobromine
01-11-2015, 01:29 PM

I completely agree with this. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" has always annoyed the crap out of me. It's not flattery, it's an insult. It's pure laziness. And as others have pointed out, this Russian tailmaker obviously does have skill (even if she's not as skilled as Raven or Finfolk). The other fins she's added, which don't seem to have been copied from anywhere, look really nice, and the full scale jacket is really cool. I don't know if it's a language/cultural barrier thing, but she needs to be informed in no uncertain terms that copying someone else's original artworks is not acceptable. And I know that you can't really copyright a design, but would it be possible to send a cease and desist order or something? (Probably not but just a thought).

Also, I've seen that Raven is aware of this, but has anyone messaged Finfolk about it? I just sent a message to Abby and Bryn, though I'm probably not the first, I just haven't seen them post anything about it so far.

MermaidRiver
01-12-2015, 11:53 AM
I agree that she shouldn't be doing it and that it is wrong to replicate someone else's work without giving them credit or asking there permission (which I'm assuming she didn't). But as Raina pointed out (please don't take this as anything personal or like I'm trying to twist your words or something because I'm not just trying to give the flip side) people do really love the look of Raven's and Finfolks tails but I know that some people would never be able to afford one of there tails. So to them (and I'm not saying if this is right or wrong) they might not mind paying less for a worse quality tail just so they can get the look of a merbellas or a finfolk tail. It's like any business or market there is always going to be people who don't want to/can't pay for the real thing. I'm not saying what she is doing is right and I don't particularly agree with It. But I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone who we don't know (or know her circumstance for that matter, just remember life is a lot different and harder in Russia than it is in say America or Europe) because of a business decision.

Also in her defence she isn't claiming that the tail is made by another tail maker, which she could be doing, in fact she isn't claiming anything she is simply advertising a product.

Echidna
01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
^^
yep, this is what I was trying to get at in my first posts.
Life in some regions of eastern Europe can be...very different to what the western world is used to.

Still, someone in dire straits will probably not choose tailmaking as their recourse (silicone and stuff is not even accessible in poorer regions), so it was probably just the lure to make lots of money with something that's in high demand, even if it means copying another's work.

I'm a bit on the fence here.
I don't wish to pass judgment on someone I don't know, but I feel bad for Raven and Finfolk, and I dislike art theft.
If it can be called thus.
As most designs for tails hail from nature itself, and not sheer imagination.

Coradion
01-13-2015, 08:06 PM
I agree that she shouldn't be doing it and that it is wrong to replicate someone else's work without giving them credit or asking there permission (which I'm assuming she didn't). But as Raina pointed out (please don't take this as anything personal or like I'm trying to twist your words or something because I'm not just trying to give the flip side) people do really love the look of Raven's and Finfolks tails but I know that some people would never be able to afford one of there tails. So to them (and I'm not saying if this is right or wrong) they might not mind paying less for a worse quality tail just so they can get the look of a merbellas or a finfolk tail. It's like any business or market there is always going to be people who don't want to/can't pay for the real thing. I'm not saying what she is doing is right and I don't particularly agree with It. But I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone who we don't know (or know her circumstance for that matter, just remember life is a lot different and harder in Russia than it is in say America or Europe) because of a business decision.

Also in her defence she isn't claiming that the tail is made by another tail maker, which she could be doing, in fact she isn't claiming anything she is simply advertising a product.

Well said, and everyone develops their own style somewhere. For like anyone who has ever made a painted neoprene tail didn't you reference Hannah's at least once? I've seen tons of Hannah look alike tails, some that were even being sold. I've seen tons of Splash tails and H2O tails too with no credit ever having been given to the original makers of those tails. Mertailor, MC, and MVD all make tails like those ones using the same designs. Nobody ever got mad at them for exactly or near exactly copying those tails. No replica or even tail inspired by those originals like Splash, 13th year, or H2O is ever going to be the same as the originals.

AniaR
01-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Mertailor, mc, and MVD all have specific permission for splash ( MVD was the first) and all credit them as splash tails. And people do get upset when they see any of those tail makers copy. There was a whole thread about MVD recasting the 13th year.

This gal lied to raven ( anyone on here who also has raven on fb saw the comments) so I feel perfectly fine judging that. Her story changed twice and didn't add up with what she put on etsy.

Its pretty clear right from the start we aren't talking about something similar... But intentional knock off.

I've never really seen anyone in mermaid history happy about purchasing a low quality silicone tail. Everyone expects when they purchase silicone even for prices as low as what Jesse or fishbutts offers that they're going to get a certain level. And never do get that level.

Good luck to anyone who buys from her currently. Maybe in the future shell improve and yes, not totally copy. I've been around long enough in this community to know the difference between a total knock off and inspiration. Along with knowing the difference between members looking at the other side of the coin and someone who claims tirelessly to 'ignore' me but yet posts disagreeing in all my threads.

Elle
01-14-2015, 02:15 AM
This gal lied to raven ( anyone on here who also has raven on fb saw the comments) so I feel perfectly fine judging that. Her story changed twice and didn't add up with what she put on etsy.

Care to share for those of us who don't have Raven on FB?

AniaR
01-14-2015, 08:44 PM
SHe claimed she didn't know Raven's work or that Raven made the tails the client sent her photos of, but then in the next sentence claims she knows Raven's work by saying "people would sell a kidney to buy one of your tails" so she clearly knew who she is. On Etsy she answered people and claimed the tail wasn't for a client but said to Raven it was. If it's a client commission why was the tail listed on etsy for public consumption? She contradicted herself multiple times, and several people posting in this thread are also on her friend's list and saw it.

Very rarely in this community, and I mean RARELY do things ever turn out to be as innocent as "I've never seen it" or "this is for my personal use" or "this is an accident." It's the same old tired story that has been repeating since people first started making and buying commercial tails. To me, it's getting old real fast.

I agree with Raven's sentiments on the matter:

whether she's telling the truth about clients or not, it's good to be respectful to other artists when clients are asking for exact copies. Turn em down, or push them toward something more original or inspired by.

I think it's crazy how much people will make excuses for this stuff, flat out ignore it, or even go after the original tail makers to try and discredit them to excuse someone's poor behaviour. I guess not all tail makers can have Raven's level of artistic integrity. I suppose there's a reason why people would "sell a kidney" to get one of her tails.

Starfrit
01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm also trying to dig up that girl's Instagram page (because I can't find the original thread anymore where that was linked), but there's a picture of the Angler knockoff where she mentions in the description that she was intending to auction off that exact tail-- So even the bit about it being made for a client/requested by a client is horsecrap.

Then there's the fact that Raven's Angler fluke is one of her more popular flukes-- if you see pictures of Raven, or any of her tails, chances are it has the fluke. There's no possible way that this girl could possibly be familiar enough with Raven, Merbellas, and the quality and high demand of her tails to make a comment like "people would sell a kidney to buy one of your tails" and NOT know about her Angler fluke.

Everything this maker has done and said to Raven (I don't have Raven on FB, but her post about it appeared on my newsfeed after you commented on it and I did see some of her initial replies) is just a slimy attempt to to get herself out of trouble for directly ripping off a superior artist. She really isn't fooling anyone (and I pity anyone who's falling for it.)

::edit:: also just wanted to add that I would gladly sell my kidney for a Raven tail. And maybe my left arm. And my firstborn.

Yulia
01-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Here's the Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/se-en/shop/EvaTail?ref=l2-shopheader-name

And the Instagram:
http://instagram.com/ksenia_evt/
WITH A NEW LOREENA TAIL OMG.

When you reported it on Etsy, what reasons did you choose?

AniaR
01-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Teiri maybe it's just a canadian thing? haha because you always speak my mind.

the listing had been taken down last I heard so I guess she put it up again.

Starfrit
01-14-2015, 10:23 PM
And the Instagram:
http://instagram.com/ksenia_evt/
WITH A NEW LOREENA TAIL OMG.

Thaaaat's... Interesting. She deleted every single picture there was of the Angler knockoff, including the one where she stated she was planning to auction the tail off. Guess she decided to cover her tracks once word got out. That's definitely not helping her case.

Teiri maybe it's just a canadian thing? haha because you always speak my mind.

You know what they say: Fish of a scale... something something... I had something clever, and then I lost it. Fudge.

Mermaid Wesley
01-14-2015, 11:21 PM
I hope she's heard what we have to say and has decided to make her own flukes.

AniaR
01-14-2015, 11:55 PM
I got no problem supporting someone who decides to grow and improve. If she posts original things I'll cheer her on.

Echidna
01-15-2015, 04:18 AM
She probably realized that potential customers are most likely familiar with MN and other tailmakers.
So a scheme to sell off another's design while claiming ignorance isn't going to wash.

A tailmaker who wants to stay in business (and not just sell a one-off to someone who hasn't discovered the community yet) better have some integrity.

There have been others who underestimated just how small the mercommunity is.
One cannot pull a stunt and expect it to never come to light.
With other things, there is such a huge base of potential costumers businesses don't have to care.

Personally, I won't forget this, because it's such a deplorable attitude.
I won't ever buy from this tailmaker, nor recommend it to anyone.

Yulia
01-15-2015, 06:03 AM
I called her out on instagram about her new tail with the loreena fluke, and got nothing but excuses back.

Starfrit
01-15-2015, 05:18 PM
"and it's not exact copy"

Only because her quality is nowhere near the caliber of Abby and Bryn's work. :T The only thing that was stopping her from making an exact copy was a lack of experience/skill, especially since I suspect that this person's Loreena knockoff is possibly her first fluke? There are no other fluke sculpts on her instagram before the "Loreena" and the "Angler" one came after, which would probably explain why the Angler knockoff looks so much closer to the source material she directly stole from.

Either way, her attitude is absolutely appalling. I feel bad for any sucker who's actually desperate enough to buy a ripoff from her-- If you look at the pictures of the Angler knockoff, the fluke isn't even lined up properly with the body, it's on a weird angle. Somehow I get the feeling that that's going to make swimming with it less efficient...

Mermaid Nerida
01-19-2015, 12:01 AM
I just looked at her instagram, and she is an EXTREMELY talented artist, and she should come up with her own designs. I'm sure they would be gorgeous...

AniaR
01-19-2015, 12:24 AM
selling it for 300$ wow...

SeaNymph
01-19-2015, 02:12 AM
It is very brave to state that the tail is not an exact copy. It is even more than an exact copy because she even imitated the smaller scales running down the fluke, SAME style finfolk uses at their Loreena fluke.
And didn't I see a copy of Raven's Ariel tail at her instagram as well? Is that also for a friend for 300 USD?
Since she is so specialized in making copies of famous designs I doubt that she will come up with own designs. And unfortunately there are already people defending her art theft. Poor Raven and Finfolk girls :-(

Yulia
01-19-2015, 04:06 PM
actually, it looks like she has a non-copy mold in one of her pictures.

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e15/1740366_355577631310409_1429890920_n.jpg

CowgirlMermaid
01-19-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't know, if you look closer it could be that this is the Loreena copy from her

Mermaidmechanic
01-19-2015, 04:14 PM
When I first looked at it it reminded me of the fluke from Mertailors latex tails/ partial silicone tails (the ones he recently replaced with the two-part tails) but I certainly hope its not a copy and that perhaps she does have something of her own design.

Yulia
01-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't know, if you look closer it could be that this is the Loreena copy from her
I don't think it is, because one of the loreena tails is on the shelf.

CowgirlMermaid
01-19-2015, 04:21 PM
You're right.
I didn't see that tail there.
I saw the ridges of the clay around the fluke sculpt and thought they matched the loreena 'spikes' quite close.

JamesGunnels
01-22-2015, 01:23 AM
It makes me kind of mad when people take a design that isn't theirs without the permission of the original designer. If I were to use a fluke design, granted, it would have to be something I LOVED! that belonged to another designer, I would get permission first. It is all about respect, and this girl doesn't seem to have any for tail makers. Her flukes are almost identical to that of Ravens and FinFolks.

Mermaid Lorelei
01-22-2015, 05:02 PM
I usually don't get into this sort of thing, but I commented on her page about the Loreena fluke. I've had a design stolen before, so it kind of hits home. But seriously, who steals other people's designs? Even if a client wants it, convince them otherwise or don't take the job. It's not that hard.

Shimmer Mermaid
01-22-2015, 05:25 PM
She has "less complex" tail designs if you go back far enough. I found her Etsy a while back and all she had was the simpler designs, and I thought, "Hmm, she could turn out to be someone with a lot of talent!" And I saw this and the Loreena fluke, and it's just too uncanny. I have had designs stolen, copied, and sold for money. It's completely and totally unacceptable. If you had that much talent, why the hell would you copy anyones work? Make a decent name for yourself, by yourself, without using others designs. Both flukes very obviously were copied, there is no denying that. Maybe she'll stop, and realize that she's wrong, and just make her own designs. She has maleficent horns on her Insta, very nice looking ones at that, horns are no easy task, so that proves she has so much talent. As my sister would say "GET THAT GIRL SOME GET-RIGHT!"

Mermaid Lorelei
01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Aaaaaand, she officially doesn't like me now.
Also, what? This was part of her reply to me.

And if you open your eyes you can see that all of tail maker stolen this idea from MerTailor. He is first.

Yulia
01-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Have all "new" tailmakers gone completely mad!?

Mermaid Lorelei
01-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Yup. And now she's trying to tell me that Finfolk stole their Butterfly fluke (the one they made for Twig the Fairy) from Merbellas She Creature. Yeah, the have rounded lobes, but they're different. She's seriously bugging me.

Shimmer Mermaid
01-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Ugh. Can people not be decent? I think if reputable tail makers jumped her toad then maybe she'd get some sense.

Shimmer Mermaid
01-22-2015, 06:35 PM
I realize how insane I must sound for using "jumped her toad". ....

Mermaid Lorelei
01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Ugh. She won't leave me alone now. -.-' This is why I don't comment on these things normally. I disproved her about the She Creature and Fairy Fluke, so now she's trying to tell me Raven stole Mahina Mermaid's design by using the Mahina monofin in some of her flukes. I'm done. I don't even get this girl.

AniaR
01-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Raven collaborated with mahina for those fins :) she had 100% full permission

Mermaid Lorelei
01-22-2015, 08:05 PM
That's what I told her. She responded by saying that the monofins were too big to have fit into Raven's flukes, so Raven must have just stolen the design. -headdesk-

And apparently Raven stole Finfolk's classic fluke (the one Arion has)? Seriously girl?

Mermaidmechanic
01-22-2015, 08:44 PM
LOL maybe instead of trying to justify her underhanded actions, she should take responsibility for what she has done and come up with some new designs. If she spent as much energy on creating something new as she did on defending her choice to steal, maybe she would have some neat stuff. Also... correct me if I'm wrong here, but Finfolk came on scene WAY after Raven?

Elle
01-22-2015, 08:45 PM

AniaR
01-22-2015, 09:06 PM
I love how she claims earlier to not know who raven was lol

JamesGunnels
01-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Thank god I'm learning Russian! Maybe soon I'll be able to explain to her in her native tongue, which might be the only way to get the point across that what she is doing is wrong, that she can't be doing this! She needs to get permission! It can't be that hard, can it? It's a simple question. All they can say is no.

MermaidMyrthe
01-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Good luck JamesGunnels! Hope you're able to reason with her. can't stand this woman... Raven works so hard for her gorgeous tails, and this person just steals her beautiful designs!

MermaidMyrthe
01-28-2015, 08:29 AM
https://img0.etsystatic.com/052/0/10120910/il_570xN.707487278_5opd.jpg

You've got to be kidding me!

Elle
01-29-2015, 04:40 AM
Scale bras are something that a lot of tailmakers do.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MermaidRiver
01-29-2015, 03:07 PM
^^ Agree although the tails are copied I don't think you can really get at her for making a scale top because a lot of people do that and they all look pretty much the same.

MermaidLilyRose
01-30-2015, 03:13 PM
I had seen her on instagram and called her out on the loreena fluke design on the same photo that Yulia had commented on, and she told me it was for a friend..yet then I see it on etsy and there are apparently 4/5 of them available? so it cant be a one off for a friend surely.

Like everyones already said, she is clearly talented I just dont understand why she would copy and then get so shitty with people for pointing it out, she should have expected it surely.

And that mold that is in the one picture posted earlier does remind me a lot of Mertailors older neoprene and latex tail fluke shape. But that could just be coincidence.

Also Im pretty sure that there is a Merberry copy too, the pink striped one that she has on her instagram is really similar (well basically the same) as one I had seen on there when Merberry was still around

Mermaid Lorelei
01-30-2015, 03:43 PM
That pink and white striped one is actually based off of an anime character. It's cosplay related.

MermaidLilyRose
01-30-2015, 03:52 PM
oohhh! fair enough, I didnt know that =)

Sephina
01-30-2015, 04:34 PM
That pink and white striped one is actually based off of an anime character. It's cosplay related.
Yup, totally Shirahoshi from One piece.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130111234408/onepiece/images/archive/f/f5/20130430234003!Shirahoshi_Pleads_with_Decken.png

JamesGunnels
01-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Good luck JamesGunnels! Hope you're able to reason with her. can't stand this woman... Raven works so hard for her gorgeous tails, and this person just steals her beautiful designs!

What I find really sad is that she has such talent! If she can copy an amazing designer...to the T, then she obviously has enough talent to create her own flukes etc. It makrd no sense to me.

Yulia
02-02-2015, 04:04 PM
I asked her if she uses monofins in her tails (cus they look so flimsy) and she actually does.
Hydra or some other brand I've not heard of.

JamesGunnels
02-02-2015, 05:22 PM
I still do not think she gets the picture...how can she also claim to NOT know who Raven is when that one tail in particular clearly proves that she does?

Elle
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
I asked her if she uses monofins in her tails (cus they look so flimsy) and she actually does.
Hydra or some other brand I've not heard of.

The Hydra is something that is gaining a bit more exposure, I know Amy is going to be using one in her tail that she is making. I believe Trident True has one. And I'm looking into owning one.

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/so-dive-hydra-clear-flow/31962/p

JamesGunnels
02-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I have the Minos monofin. The same monofin as the Hydra...technically.

Yulia
02-02-2015, 08:46 PM
The Hydra is something that is gaining a bit more exposure, I know Amy is going to be using one in her tail that she is making. I believe Trident True has one. And I'm looking into owning one.

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/so-dive-hydra-clear-flow/31962/p

Yes, the Hydra I know of, but she uses it, and another one I have not heard of. ;)
I came of as a bit unclear, sorry!

Elle
02-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Yes, the Hydra I know of, but she uses it, and another one I have not heard of. ;)
I came of as a bit unclear, sorry!

Ah, okay. I get you now

Lotus the Mermaid
02-18-2015, 04:42 AM
I stumbled across her Etsy a couple of weeks ago and thought, "Uh-oh, a really cheap knock-off of FinFolk." I didn't think much else of it because I saw that the quality couldn't compare. I guess I also assumed FinFolk either knew about her or didn't care much. Glad to know her secret's out. Now, I know what to do if I see another imposter.

Mermaid Colleen
04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
People, she took the design because she likes it. I would feel proud that someone liked my tail enough to make another for someone else! But that is just me

Seatan
04-23-2015, 05:09 PM
That's all fine and good if you're Van Gogh or Raphael (AKA DEAD AND BURIED) but when you make a living selling your artistic designs you care a lot less about people "liking" your designs and a lot more about eeking out a living on them.

Mermaid Rillia
04-23-2015, 08:54 PM
There are no signs of either of these designs anywhere on her etsy or ig. I'm willing to bet she went and attempted to cover her tracks. The sad thing is that she has so much potential. If she was able to sculpt a knock off of one of ravens works, then she's more than capable of creating some of her own masterpieces. Its just sad really.

Echidna
04-23-2015, 08:54 PM
People, she took the design because she likes it. I would feel proud that someone liked my tail enough to make another for someone else! But that is just me

great first post! :jester:

Seatan
04-23-2015, 08:59 PM
great first post! :jester:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rett
04-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Dang, if she was making her own unique designs I'd probably bite the bullet for $300 xD

Rett
04-23-2015, 09:19 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
ITSSSS HEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! xD Jk... Or not ;)

Seatan
04-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Her mermaid tail on Etsy is priced at $1500 which is just above materials cost (here in the US anyway). I've found it's never good to go with people who are selling At Cost tails unless you know how to work with silicone yourself and can fix any problems. Even the Finfolk ladies had issues VERY early in their tailmaking--I am friends with one of the mermaids at the Texas Scarborough Renaissance Faire that they made tails for and they have improved their work a TON since then... But they weren't selling full priced tails at that time, they were perfecting their craft. Most people need lots of tails before they get it down well enough to be able to mark up their tails. Unless their name is Pearlie Mae, 'cause she spent the time to make that first tail close to perfection, LOL!

AnnaAbyss
04-23-2015, 10:36 PM
This copycat lady really has no idea what 'copyright' is. Copyright is automatic on any piece of artwork and she could be taken to court over breaching it.

Lily
04-23-2015, 10:38 PM
AnnaAbyss, it's been stated on this forum roughly ten million times that a tail design cannot be copywritten. If it could, Mertailor would have done it by now. Copyright law does not apply to tails.

Mer-Crazy
04-23-2015, 11:13 PM
She's correct in that we've discussed that tails cannot be copy written, I don't live in america so I don't put effort into learning the laws but I think I read something along the lines that it doesn't apply to costumes or garments eg tails. Which I suppose makes sense as cosplay probably wouldn't be a thing if every costume someone made was breaching copyright.

Seatan
04-23-2015, 11:44 PM
There's just a lot of exclusions and exceptions when it comes to copyrights. You could probably TRY and take someone to court over a very exact tail design like Raven's, but you would never win enough to cover the legal fees alone--if you even won because there are so many exclusions! There is also the matter of someone claiming that their work is a parody and/or a fanwork (which while technically illegal is pretty much impossible to prosecute for or there would be a lot of broke Star Trek fans). You can't patent "basic" tail technology (as opposed to the complex tails used in H20 which have actual mechanism within them that could possibly be patented) because there is no technical wowza to it, so you can't stop people from reproducing what you do. Since there is no technical element that could be patented and tails are "worn" by people, it is what is called a "useful article" because it has a utilitarian use, which means you can't copyright it. You CAN copyright the specific designs on it, however, so TECHNICALLY Raven could probably sue this person because they violated the copyright of the actual DESIGN on the fluke (which is very complex and is obviously copied), though they could make very SIMILAR flukes without being exactly identical all they want (how designer clothes get ripped off by changing the emblem slightly). BUT once again, the legal fees would definitely outweigh any winnings, even if she won. In short, it's not worth it to try and sue unless you're a billion dollar company--and even those pretty much just ignore knockoffs rather than fight them.

QUOTE:

A “useful article” is an article having an intrinsic utilitarian function that is not merely to portray the appearance of
the article or to convey information. Examples are clothing,
furniture, machinery, dinnerware, and lighting fixtures. An
article that is normally part of a useful article may itself be a
useful article—an ornamental wheel cover on a vehicle, for
example.
Copyright does not protect the mechanical or utilitar
-
ian aspects of such works of craftsmanship. It may, however,
protect any pictorial, graphic, or sculptural authorship that
can be identified separately from the utilitarian aspects of
an object. Thus a useful article may have both copyrightable
and uncopyrightable features. For example, a carving on
the back of a chair or a floral relief design on silver flatware
could be protected by copyright, but the design of the chair
or flatware itself could not.
Some designs of useful articles may qualify for protection
under the federal patent law. For information, visit the
U.S.
Patent and Trademark Office website at
www.uspto.gov
or call
(800) 786-9199.
Copyright in a work that portrays a useful article extends
only to the artistic expression of the author of the pictorial,
graphic, or sculptural work. It does not extend to the design
of the article that is portrayed. For example, a drawing or
photograph of an automobile or a dress design may be copy
-
righted, but that does not give the artist or photographer the
exclusive right to make automobiles or dresses of the same
design

PearlieMae
04-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Her mermaid tail on Etsy is priced at $1500 which is just above materials cost (here in the US anyway). I've found it's never good to go with people who are selling At Cost tails unless you know how to work with silicone yourself and can fix any problems. Even the Finfolk ladies had issues VERY early in their tailmaking--I am friends with one of the mermaids at the Texas Scarborough Renaissance Faire that they made tails for and they have improved their work a TON since then... But they weren't selling full priced tails at that time, they were perfecting their craft. Most people need lots of tails before they get it down well enough to be able to mark up their tails. Unless their name is Pearlie Mae, 'cause she spent the time to make that first tail close to perfection, LOL!

Haha! Are you kidding? I've deconstructed this tail like five times so far! I have four sets of flukes and re-made the top twice! :)

Mer-Crazy
04-24-2015, 12:19 AM
Pearlie has a Fraken-Tail <3

Keiris
04-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Haha! Are you kidding? I've deconstructed this tail like five times so far! I have four sets of flukes and re-made the top twice! :)
Four sets of flukes???!!! Holy interchangeable fins Batman!!! Have you finally got a keeper, Pearlie?

Yulia
05-23-2015, 02:55 PM

Look who's also liked Finfolk's newest fluke.
Not a copy otherwise though.

Mermaid Mystery
05-23-2015, 03:30 PM
I have to admit, that sculpt is beautiful!

AniaR
05-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Her other tails are full on mertailor copies lol

Mermaid Mystery
06-05-2015, 03:23 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/05/b2ad7387b08a7bec3b083fc2aa40179c.jpg

PearlieMae
06-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Four sets of flukes???!!! Holy interchangeable fins Batman!!! Have you finally got a keeper, Pearlie?

I think so...Each iteration is a refinement...I did the tiny scales on my fluke individually, based on the same photo everyone seems to be working from (Google fish fin closeup and you'll find it. There's no mistaking the image).

I think once I add some more glitter and stuff to my favorite version, I will reattach it to my personal tail. I'm using the other flukes as fin covers to test my custom monofins.

And yeah...I have what I hope to prove to be a breakthrough new monofin design that is FLOWY, FLEXIBLE, and of course, TRANSPARENT.

We'll see what the weekend brings.

Pearlie has a Fraken-Tail <3

I like to think of it as a Rocket Tail

http://howtolovecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/tumblr_nbgu6fC7GY1tim32go1_500.gif

Mermaid Freyja
06-05-2015, 05:43 PM
I like to think of it as a Rocket Tail

http://howtolovecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/tumblr_nbgu6fC7GY1tim32go1_500.gif

Yay, Rocket!!!! <3
Now I'm imagining a mer-Rocket, lol!!

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Hi, I am new here. I've seen this tailmaker before, I have to say, she does make beautiful tails but I wish she wouldn't copy off others.

AniaR
11-14-2015, 01:04 AM
are you a representative of the water phoenix or just picked the name? feel free to introduce yourself in the introduction section

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 01:08 AM
AniaR, I thought the name was cool :)

Mermaid Mystery
11-14-2015, 01:40 AM
I was hoping this thread would turn up again! Ksenia hasn't posted a whole lot of new tails, but she did post this the other dayhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/bed8888c0ecb1ecfa02ae269d465c668.jpg
(I like to keep tabs on tailmakers if anyone thinks I'm crazy lol)
but she also has posted a few other pics of these tailshttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/ed21862ce70fd9896f645afe799e8a9a.jpg which are pretty much copies of one of raven's tails

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 08:33 AM
I can't believe she actually ripped off Raven's rainbow tail! I still think it is very beautiful but it's such a direct copy...

Mermaid Kassandra
11-14-2015, 10:37 AM
I can't believe she actually ripped off Raven's rainbow tail! I still think it is very beautiful but it's such a direct copy...

We should find the original from Raven and post a pic of it in the comments of this one so people can make a composition because Raven's one was so much better!

Do you know who got it after Raven sold it?

Mermaid Mystery
11-14-2015, 10:42 AM

she's done it to plenty of tailmakers before, unfortunately she hasn't learned.

and Kassandra I have no idea who got it after she sold it, maybe someone else knows?

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I agree Mermaid Kassandra, Raven's work is so much better.

The Water Phoenix
11-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Yeah :( Some tailmakers just don't learn. She is a good sculptor but she needs to come up with her own designs, she needs to be creative! Its a pity that she's ripping off everyone else's work though :(